Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Billboard's Top 100 Songs of 2012

Old 01-01-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Billboard's Top 100 Songs of 2012

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I'd put 'Titanium' higher... love that song
Nobody "put" anything anywhere.

Billboard lists aren't judgment calls--they're statistical based on sales and airplay.
Old 01-01-13, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Nobody "put" anything anywhere.

Billboard lists aren't judgment calls--they're statistical based on sales and airplay.
oh I know, I'm just making my judgmental call
Old 01-01-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I stopped hanging around high schools years ago.

"It'd be a lot cooler if you did."
Old 01-02-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
I bought 94 albums released this year and only own 4 albums with songs on that list, one of which came out last year and is the only one of the four that I actually cared for. Having not listened to the radio at all for some years, I find it amusing to see performers like Maroon 5, Train and Usher as having multiple songs on the list. What demographic drives radio popularity these days?
I probably bought close to that number of albums this year. Niggas in Paris is the only song that I own on that list.
Old 01-03-13, 10:38 AM

I've heard most of that list except for the R&B and Country songs. Only because I was so fed up with my local rock station this year (how many Alice in Chains songs can you play in a day?) so I said, fuck it, and started listening to pop. Crazy knee jerk reaction. But I was surprised how many songs I enjoyed, it really broadened my horizons. And I already added rock/metal back into rotation, only this time I'm using pandora/slacker instead of local radio.
Old 01-03-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
I've heard most of that list except for the R&B and Country songs. Only because I was so fed up with my local rock station this year (how many Alice in Chains songs can you play in a day?) so I said, fuck it, and started listening to pop. Crazy knee jerk reaction. But I was surprised how many songs I enjoyed, it really broadened my horizons. And I already added rock/metal back into rotation, only this time I'm using pandora/slacker instead of local radio.
Listening to fabricated pop music broadened your horizons? OK.
Old 01-03-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Listening to fabricated pop music broadened your horizons? OK.
Most of the music that people have known and enjoyed since the '50s could be considered fabricated pop music. That doesn't make it bad. There's a place in my library for Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and fun. alongside my Wolves in the Throne Room and Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Get over the notion that pop music sucks because it's popular.

Elvis was fabricated pop music.
Madonna was fabricated pop music.
Michael Jackson was fabricated pop music.

You just don't like the pop music currently being fabricated. That's okay, but bitching about it just makes you sound like my parents used to.
Old 01-03-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone Like You should have been at least in the top 10 and Gangnam Style is way low.
Old 01-06-13, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting, rock drove you to top 40, it drove me more to NPR's music station. I spent too many years listening to top 40, I'm finished with it. I'm way too old for the demographic now.
Old 01-07-13, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails View Post
Interesting, rock drove you to top 40, it drove me more to NPR's music station. I spent too many years listening to top 40, I'm finished with it. I'm way too old for the demographic now.
Not rock in general, just too many of the same songs played ad nauseum. I've never listened to top 40 so it was a whole new experience for me. And it was refreshing hearing songs I've never heard before. I'm 46 and probably too old for it, I but don't give a shit.
Old 01-07-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not rock in general, just too many of the same songs played ad nauseum. I've never listened to top 40 so it was a whole new experience for me. And it was refreshing hearing songs I've never heard before. I'm 46 and probably too old for it, I but don't give a shit.
top 40 is the perfect example of a format that plays the same songs ad nauseum. I think the reason I can still tolerate songs like We Are Young, Somebody That I Used To Know, Ho Hey, Pumped Up Kicks and some of the other tracks I actually enjoyed that crossed over to mainstream radio is because I avoid those stations like the plague.

If there was stuff in top 40 that I actually cared for I'd listen, but I really dislike One Direction, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Bruno Mars, Maroon 5 (who IMO are the modern day Phil Collins in terms of how far they sold their soul to appeal to housewives at the expense of any males in their fanbase) and some of the other stuff that rules the pop stations. There is so much amazing stuff going on right now musically I can't be arsed to listen to those stations. And keep in mind three years ago I loved Lady Gaga and Rihanna, but I finally reached my fill at a certain point where I finally decided enough because so much of the pop music right now is just the audio equivilent of McDonalds... if its so good why doesn't a five year old Beyonce song still sound as good? It isn't a snob thing because Coldplay and Mumford And Sons are two bands that are cool to hate but yet I still enjoy, just that I have been in a top 40 bubble since I was a child in the 80s that I have officially called it time to move on and appreciate something that has more depth and quality to it than "Moves Like Jagger".
Old 01-07-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

It's fairly amazing that a song as far outside of conventional "pop music" as Somebody That I Used To Know can be #1. I guess that says something about the sheeple.
Old 01-07-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
It's fairly amazing that a song as far outside of conventional "pop music" as Somebody That I Used To Know can be #1. I guess that says something about the sheeple.
You'd be surprised how many top 40 fans bitch whenever something decent (Gotye, Foster The People, Lumineers, Mumford, Fun, etc...) crosses over to mainstream radio. I remember someone on another message board complaining that Gotye and Fun are two of the worst US #1 singles in history, when next to Coldplay's Viva La Vida I would argue they are hands down the best songs that have topped our singles chart in ten years. But this guy in question loves "Moves Like Jagger" so that shows it, if you think that song is "alternative" (when it pretty much killed off Maroon 5's former rock male audience) then of course you're going to lose it when Gotye, someone who is closer to Peter Gabriel or Trent Reznor (don't bash the artist until you've heard the entire album. STIUTK is the poppiest thing on the record. He is more a hybrid of Gabriel, Reznor and Sting than a mainstream pop artist) than Maroon 5 and Justin Bieber has an actual hit single.
Old 01-08-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You'd be surprised how many top 40 fans bitch whenever something decent (Gotye, Foster The People, Lumineers, Mumford, Fun, etc...) crosses over to mainstream radio.
You're right, but then again people like that must be very outnumbered because Gotye at #1 speaks for itself. Maybe there is hope in this world.
Old 01-08-13, 02:36 PM

top 40 is the perfect example of a format that plays the same songs ad nauseum.
They do, but only for a short while and new stuff takes it place. There were pop songs on the radio last spring I liked, but no one plays them anymore. Whereas rock radio plays the same songs forever ad nauseum. Stuff I've heard a million times for 30 years.
Old 01-08-13, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They do, but only for a short while and new stuff takes it place. There were pop songs on the radio last spring I liked, but no one plays them anymore. Whereas rock radio plays the same songs forever ad nauseum. Stuff I've heard a million times for 30 years.
You're right, Top 40 is a constantly changing, revolving door of fresh, bad music.
Old 01-08-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't argue with you on there. Because of classic rock radio I have no desire to listen to groups like AC/DC and Aerosmith again.
Old 01-08-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whereas rock radio plays the same songs forever ad nauseum. Stuff I've heard a million times for 30 years.
I spent a few years listening to a classic rock station, because the "modern rock" (if I wanted to call it that) started overplaying songs. They've had a format change since then, and actually play more diverse stuff, but I've moved on to crafting my music collection.

Anyway...

I loved the exposure I got towards bands I had previously not paid much attention to (Zepplin, Heart, etc.) but gave them up for the same overplaying reason. If had to hear "Jack & Diane" one more time, I was gonna light the station on fire.
Old 01-09-13, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If there was stuff in top 40 that I actually cared for I'd listen, but I really dislike One Direction, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Bruno Mars, Maroon 5 (who IMO are the modern day Phil Collins in terms of how far they sold their soul to appeal to housewives at the expense of any males in their fanbase)

Phil Collins has no male fans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3Xhlskr88
Old 01-09-13, 07:21 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've heard of several "artists" in that list, don't listen to any of them, unless I have no choice (such as the Hot FM 101 garbage they play at the Chinese buffet every time my wife and I eat there), it just hurts my brain to listen to it. -kd5-
Old 01-09-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You are 100% right. I'm at the point where I'd like to have a 20 year break from Red Hot Chilli Peppers. After that much time I would probably welcome hearing their stuff again but at this point I've heard Under the Bridge so many times...
Old 01-09-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Howie2000 View Post
Phil Collins has no male fans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3Xhlskr88
I know a lot of male Genesis and early solo fans... I'm talking about his But Seriously days where every single was a ballad and he was played alongside Bolton and Lionel Richie on the soft rock stations.

That sort of thing is what Maroon 5 has turned into... they removed any remaining track of rock or funk from their sound and has turned into a band for housewives like Train, Nickelback and Daughtry. I don't know a single (heterosexual or gay male with taste) male who likes Moves Like Jagger. They're basically an overgrown One Direction at this point. That is the issue with Maroon 5 and how they have gone so hard into courting the soccer moms that they pushed away their male fans.
Old 01-09-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
I spent a few years listening to a classic rock station, because the "modern rock" (if I wanted to call it that) started overplaying songs. They've had a format change since then, and actually play more diverse stuff, but I've moved on to crafting my music collection.

Anyway...

I loved the exposure I got towards bands I had previously not paid much attention to (Zepplin, Heart, etc.) but gave them up for the same overplaying reason. If had to hear "Jack & Diane" one more time, I was gonna light the station on fire.
the NPR music stations aren't bad if you like rock but not want to hear the same tired songs every week.

The local station here has a 3 hour weekly show called "Relics" that focuses on classic rock but many times digs into deep cuts (they played the full "Dogs" from Pink Floyd a few weeks back) and more obscure artists you'll not hear elsewhere.

Here is an example of their playlist for that show. Much more interesting than the generic classic rock stations that seem to have Back In Black, Led Zeppelin IV, Hotel California, Appetite For Destruction and a few Time Life "classic rock hits" cd's on endless shuffle.
Old 01-12-13, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That list includes quite a few artists that I have never, ever heard of.

This whole line of discussion reminds me of an issue I had with radio in the 90's and now. The Cardigan's had "Lovefool" and that got played *A LOT*, then the song "Been It" was released and it played for a short while and was forgotten. I liked "Been It" far more than "Lovefool" and it kinda irks me that it will never get much airplay.

Man, this makes me miss watching MuchMusic and M2 and seeing new/lesser known artists/videos.
Old 01-12-13, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
That list includes quite a few artists that I have never, ever heard of.
and I blame that on mainstream classic rock radio overemphasizing the big names and ignoring those "also rans". There are some brilliant 60's and 70's bands out there I discovered in "1001 songs" type books that are nowhere as known to the mainstream as your Zep's and Who's.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.