Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

So you want to get into vinyl. Kickstarter turntable

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

So you want to get into vinyl. Kickstarter turntable

Old 03-20-13, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 913 Posts
Re: So you want to get into vinyl. Kickstarter turntable

Have to bump this thread since I have a couple more LPs coming in. I'm in the process of requesting a phono capable turntable for my upcoming birthday, so I need this thread up here.
Old 03-20-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone on DVDTalk buying turntables might be interested in this little gem . . .

http://www.elusivedisc.com/VANGELIS-...tinfo/AFLP154/
Old 03-20-13, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Anyone on DVDTalk buying turntables might be interested in this little gem . . .

Yep, I noticed that on Amazon when I was going through material.
Old 03-21-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd

thank you!!

just pre-ordered via Amazon.
Old 01-04-14, 12:52 AM

So, I finally received this monster a few weeks ago. Still haven't committed to a receiver or a pair of speakers.

I have been looking at Harman Kardon HK 3390 80W...but am still on the fence. Anyone own this particular model at all?

Also, I did purchase some Infinity Primus 363 speakers from Frys.com a few weeks ago because they seemed like a steal at $214 for the pair...but then my order was cancelled. Any thoughts on these speakers?

I know this was all hashed-out earlier on in this thread, but looking to hear some differing or possibly changed opinions in the last year.
Old 01-04-14, 08:19 AM

Not sure how much you can stretch your budget but this Marantz integrated is being closed out and I've seen some good comments on the forums

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-50324-m...ce=igodigital&

You'd still need a phono pre-amp too.
Old 01-04-14, 01:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Still difficult to find reviews on this table, but I did fine one: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57614778-47/u-turn-orbit-an-audiophile-quality-turntable-for-$179/
Old 01-04-14, 02:00 PM

There's a couple of YouTube videos up with a review and unboxing from user Roland314 under Orbit+ Review

Here's the link

http://youtu.be/RGTtbS851qE

Last edited by MBoyd; 01-05-14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-05-14, 09:51 AM

I thought this seemed like a really good and honest review by a new member at Audio Karma named Coth

OK so I actually have a Project Debut II and the higher end KS green Orbit.

The two sound darn near the same with the junky Ortophon 5e. Finish overall on the Pro ject is slightly nicer. However.... The debut seems to not take some of the older carts nearly as well. I really like my AT12sa and AT14sa! However, they both seem OK with the Grado Gold I got from Todd of TTVJ some years ago as a used steal.

The background is more black on the Orbit. Detail retrieval is better with the Pro ject by the slightest of margins and I think its largely to do with the tonearm. Pro ject table does not have as good of low bass or as wide of a soundstage with the Grado cart. The Orbit tonearm is easier to get "about perfect" but must harder to get just right with a new cart and it does not handle any warp on older records nearly as well as the Pro ject does. However, that being said... Its much easier for a newbie to not screw up their needle.
There is a serious issue in mine with the belt. It slides off almost every time I turn off the motor. Its like the belt is literally 1/4" too long. Very Annoying to say the least.

I am just happy to be able to put my older AT cart on and play again. The AT14sa sounds great on the Orbit.

Both were tested on a heavy Glass + steel isolated audio rack, with Hagerrman Bugle phono and a Yammie CA-600 operating in Preamp mode with a Marantz modern receiver and Switched out between Kef C7 s and Triangle floorstanders. Nothing I have currently is about a middle audiophile grade when it comes to speaker steps. More of a Headphone guy in day to day use.

I wish I could take this over to some friends of mine who have 50k vinyl setups for a better comparison. Alas... All I have is the Pro ject, some fixed up Akai, and a Technics SL1800 to compare to.

Man the Ortophon 5e is such junk. No detail. All midbass. The AT95 is a much better cart on both as a starter cartridge.

Also. Do not be surprised about the audio game. I have known guys in the business for many years now and frankly, if the customers don't turn you sour the competition and vendors will (some of them, certainly not all!). Stuff like buying up all of the hookup wire you use in your designs to capacitors, etc. Only one really honest Chinese manufacturer I know that does it for themselves ( been very successful too!). It is of no surprise that a company would do as they did, especially when a bunch of college kids decide to jump in. You have no idea how discouraging some people can be to the younger crowd in audio IRL.

So its a TT that IMO is worth the asking price. They could make the plinth more dense, improve the tonearm, and fix the belt issue then have a real giant killer. For now, it's a $279 table as good as the Debut II for most people with a different sonic character (don't have a debut III so cannot comment) and better looking overall. If only they offered the table with no cart and $30 off the price tag.... I have to buy that cue arm. Its the little things.

Woohoo now have 3 TT stations in the house: one in the Office, one in the listening / music room ( instrument practice ), and one in the Home Theater.

Yes, I know this is my first post. I was looking around d the internet for interesting opinions and came across this crazy long thread. Got to reading.... Ended up posting.
And some context about the being soured by the business paragraph:

Apparently Ortofon was pressured into not selling carts to. UTurn by Pro-Ject. Doesn't seem to matter much because they are now offering a Grado Green.

Last edited by MBoyd; 01-05-14 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-05-14, 02:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks! I'm perfectly happy with my Technics SL1800, but I know some friends who are interested.
Old 01-05-14, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had mine for a couple months now, been loving it. I don't have the issue with the belt that the above reviewer had. Everything's been working perfectly.
Old 01-05-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

How long did you have to wait? I ordered mine on 11/26 & haven't heard anything since.
Old 01-05-14, 05:18 PM

I think they are stilling filling the kickstarter orders. The cartridge issue slowed them down too I Guess.
Old 01-05-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
How long did you have to wait? I ordered mine on 11/26 & haven't heard anything since.
10 months. I did the kickstarter campaign back in January, delivered in early November.