Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

55th Grammy Awards Nominees Announced

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

55th Grammy Awards Nominees Announced

Old 02-11-13, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: 55th Grammy Awards Nominees Announced

Originally Posted by Decker
BTW : When was it decided that Jay Z was going to be the George Clooney/ Jack Nicholson of the Grammys? No peformance is complete until Jay Z gives his tacit nod of approval. Sure he's been around a long time, but is he the biggest music artist on the planet? I'm not sure he's even the most successful hit maker in his own house.
Jay Z is an icon, it's as simple as that.

One of the winners just started thanking random people in the audience and mentioned Jay Z, a second later the camera cuts to Jay, he's sitting there like a pimp with his glass of cognac and you see him yell back "You're Welcome".
Old 02-11-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

miranda lambert's thighs looked delicious
Old 02-11-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D

Katy Perry's boobs should host the next Grammys. They are mesmerizing.
As awesome as this idea is, I think I'd even prefer to have Lena Dunham's boobs host the next Grammys over LL Cool J for a third time. What a preachy, pompous, self-absorbed, boring dud he is. His opening monologue (if you can call it that) was the worst I've ever seen, and I've been watching the major awards shows (Oscars, Grammys, Emmys) pretty consistently since 1979. His opening was (I'll paraphrase) : "Good evening. Last year I was so excited to host the Grammys. I wanted to use the opportunity to tell you all about me. Then that bitch Whitney Houston drowned in her tub the day before and suddenly it seemed inappropriate. Fortunately we're all over that now and no other icon died this weekend, so let me remind you how I once won TWO Grammys!" Ugh. All it seems "CBS Cares" about it is promoting their own prime-time line-up. If that's the case, just hire NPH. He doesn't need to be exiled to the Tonys anymore -he's not just for gays; us straights like him too! Either that, or I suppose Ted Danson would suffice. Or Kaley Cuoco's boobs.
Old 02-11-13, 10:00 AM

Checking the full list of winners, I discovered that while Mumford's Babel won Album of the Year, it actually lost Best Americana Album (which should not be confused with Best Bluegrass Album, Best Blues Album, Best Folk Album or Best Regional Roots Album, which were also handed out) to Bonnie Raitt's Slipstream. So it's the year's best album, just not the best Americana album.
Old 02-11-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Fun. is an abomination from the fiery depths of hell. They are Anti-music. Them winning best new artist just proves how shitty they are - look at the company they're in.

I'm glad Alabama Shakes didn't win that, as they have actual talent and aren't reliant on cynical hype.
Old 02-11-13, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Fun. is an abomination from the fiery depths of hell. They are Anti-music. Them winning best new artist just proves how shitty they are - look at the company they're in.

I'm glad Alabama Shakes didn't win that, as they have actual talent and aren't reliant on cynical hype.
I really like that Fun. album. Not saying they deserved to win, but I don't get the hate.
Old 02-11-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Taylor Swift is very young but if she wants to write a song about me shes free to do so.
Everyone on my FB feed was hating on Swift about a half-hour in. Did she do anything other than the opening number, or did they just decide to release the festering hate at the same time? (I like her myself.)

Who was the guy that sang with Elton? I guess i will show my age there by not asking that in reverse
Originally Posted by sauce07
Ed Sheeran, the song was called The A Team
Thanks. I looked up some of his songs. Sounds good.
Yeah, my kid just started listening to Sheeran a couple weeks ago, and I didn't know he was up for a Grammy. I like The A Team a lot, but the album as a whole is a bit... eclectic. I'll probably just put a couple of his songs on my phone.

As awesome as this idea is, I think I'd even prefer to have Lena Dunham's boobs host the next Grammys over LL Cool J for a third time. What a preachy, pompous, self-absorbed, boring dud he is. His opening monologue (if you can call it that) was the worst I've ever seen, and I've been watching the major awards shows (Oscars, Grammys, Emmys) pretty consistently since 1979. His opening was (I'll paraphrase) : "Good evening. Last year I was so excited to host the Grammys. I wanted to use the opportunity to tell you all about me. Then that bitch Whitney Houston drowned in her tub the day before and suddenly it seemed inappropriate. Fortunately we're all over that now and no other icon died this weekend, so let me remind you how I once won TWO Grammys!" Ugh. All it seems "CBS Cares" about it is promoting their own prime-time line-up. If that's the case, just hire NPH. He doesn't need to be exiled to the Tonys anymore -he's not just for gays; us straights like him too! Either that, or I suppose Ted Danson would suffice. Or Kaley Cuoco's boobs.
(LL Cool J monologuing)
(Pauses to wait for applause)
(Resumes after awkward silence)
Old 02-11-13, 11:15 AM

Last edited by Decker; 02-11-13 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-11-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I never heard of some of the winners:
fun.
Gotye
Mumford and Sons

And I'm not curious enough to seek out their songs.

When Mai Kuraki gets nominated for a Grammy, then I'll pay attention:
http://www.generasia.com/wiki/Kuraki_Mai
Old 02-11-13, 11:53 AM

Congratulations for spending the last two years under a rock. You've missed a couple of really talented artists. And the band Fun. .

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sv6dMFF_yts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8UVNT4wvIGY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3KkUeRPjc-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-11-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I prefer this video for The Cave, I feel the video above takes away from the music...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sJcvLyoAAnk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-11-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Their first album was great, wasn't such a big fan of Babel.
Old 02-11-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope that the LAPD mistake Fun.'s tour bus for Chris Dorner's vehicle.
Old 02-11-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

People need to stop complaining about the Grammy Awards. Look at this list of all the great albums that won album of the year in the past:

Sgt Pepper
Pet Sounds
Revolver
Blonde On Blonde
Highway 61 Revisited
London Calling
Nevermind
Ok Computer
Kid A
Old 02-11-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
People need to stop complaining about the Grammy Awards. Look at this list of all the great albums that won album of the year in the past:

Sgt Pepper
Pet Sounds
Revolver
Blonde On Blonde
Highway 61 Revisited
London Calling
Nevermind
Ok Computer
Kid A
Yeah, but for every one of those, there's about 20 embarrassments.
Old 02-11-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sgt Pepper
Pet Sounds
Revolver
Blonde On Blonde
Highway 61 Revisited
London Calling
Nevermind
Ok Computer
Kid A
Where did you come up with that list? The only one of those to win the Grammy for Album of the Year was Sgt. Pepper and five of those were not even nominated.
Old 02-11-13, 01:41 PM

Sgt Pepper
Pet Sounds
Revolver
Blonde On Blonde
Highway 61 Revisited
London Calling
Nevermind
Ok Computer
Kid A
Actually only Sgt Pepper won Album of the Year from that list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_...um_of_the_Year

Revolver, OK Computer and Kid A lost the award (to Sinatra's A Man and His Music, Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind and Steely Dan's Two Against Nature respectively). The others you list were not even nominated.

edit: IF that was a sarcastic list, then you shouldn't have included Sgt Pepper, one of the few times the Grammys came close to getting things right. Now things have gotten considerably better since the implementation of the "Blue Ribbon Panel" after the outrage over the hideous album nominees in 1995. By forcing a panel with an iota of taste to come up with the final five, they've avoided a truly embarrassing choice for the most part. It's far from perfect, but it's much more in tune with what is popular, current and important in music than the absurdly out-of-touch top awards of the Sixties Seventies and Eighties.

Last edited by Decker; 02-11-13 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Sorry, sarcasm.
Old 02-11-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Everyone on my FB feed was hating on Swift about a half-hour in. Did she do anything other than the opening number, or did they just decide to release the festering hate at the same time? (I like her myself.)
I think it's the fact people are getting tired of her act. She's almost become a one trick pony with the whole I dated someone for a few weeks, we broke up, so I wrote a song and made fun of you in front of the whole world.

While I do sorta like her, she's wearing on me too with the whole breakup stuff. She's dated like 6 guys in the last year and none of them lasted, when do you start looking at yourself instead of just blaming it on the guy being an a-hole?

I'm willing to forgive she's not the greatest live singer in the world, but she needs to start writing some new material.
Old 02-11-13, 02:26 PM

^ Agree with all of the above. I also still sort of like her music but she's getting to bother me more and more. I'm especially sick of the "surprised face she puts on when she wins an award or gets a round of applauds

But last night she came up with something even more annoying -- the "Look how cool I am, I'm singing along to all your songs" bit.

The irony is Kanye West was absolutely vilified (and called a "Jackass" by POTUS) for interrupting her acceptance speech a few years ago and today he'd probably be hailed as a hero for pulling that stunt.
Old 02-11-13, 02:46 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Their first album was great, wasn't such a big fan of Babel.
Agreed.
Old 02-11-13, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Awards shows aren't the only places she made this face. Ask Joe Jonas, Taylor Lautner, Jake Gyllenhaal, John Mayer and a few others.
Old 02-11-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

They have three albums dating back to 2009. How the hell were they even nominated for best new artist?
Old 02-11-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not surprised M&S won Album. It's the most accessible to all age groups in the category (and we all know that most voters that actually vote are typically older). Very happy that they won though. The album's really good.

Totally hated Gotye winning Alternative album over M83. Gotye's album has two good songs, IMO, but Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is epic. And Tom Waits being there as well? Wrong choice.

fun. was great last night as well. No problem with them.

Last edited by conscience; 02-11-13 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
I think it's the fact people are getting tired of her act. She's almost become a one trick pony with the whole I dated someone for a few weeks, we broke up, so I wrote a song and made fun of you in front of the whole world.

While I do sorta like her, she's wearing on me too with the whole breakup stuff. She's dated like 6 guys in the last year and none of them lasted, when do you start looking at yourself instead of just blaming it on the guy being an a-hole?

I'm willing to forgive she's not the greatest live singer in the world, but she needs to start writing some new material.
All that makes sense. Sounds like there was nothing particularly new and cringeworthy that happened, though, so thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.