Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

55th Grammy Awards Nominees Announced

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

55th Grammy Awards Nominees Announced

Old 02-11-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 55th Grammy Awards Nominees Announced

Originally Posted by Jason
They have three albums dating back to 2009. How the hell were they even nominated for best new artist?
Same could be said for Esperanza Spalding last year who already had a few solo and collaborative albums under her belt. According to the Grammys the criteria for "Best New Artist" is as follows: "For a new artist who releases, during the Eligibility Year, the first recording which establishes the public identity of that artist."

So yeah, pretty stupid.
Old 02-11-13, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Same could be said for Esperanza Spalding last year who already had a few solo and collaborative albums under her belt. According to the Grammys the criteria for "Best New Artist" is as follows: "For a new artist who releases, during the Eligibility Year, the first recording which establishes the public identity of that artist."

So yeah, pretty stupid.
A little more detail from grammy.com (but still a bit silly)

Eligibility Amendments

Best New Artist
New artists have at least one chance to compete in the Best New Artist category, provided that the artist has not already won a GRAMMY. The current eligibility requirements state that the artist must have released, as a featured performing artist, at least one album but not more than three; and the artist must not have been entered for Best New Artist more than three times, including as a performing member of an established group. Any previous GRAMMY nomination for the artist as performer precludes eligibility in the Best New Artist category (including a nomination as an established performing member of a nominated group).

These rules remain in effect with the following exception: If an artist/group is nominated (but does not win) for the release of a single or as a featured artist or collaborator on a compilation or other artist's album before the artist/group has released an entire album (and becomes eligible in this category for the first time), the artist/group may enter this category in the eligibility year during which his/her/their first album is released.

More and more, the first release of a new artist is as a featured artist on someone else's album, or the new artist may release a single long before the release of his/her/their entire first album. By current rules, if the other artist's album or the new artist's single receives a nomination, the new artist may never have the opportunity to compete in the Best New Artist category. With this change, each artist will have at least one opportunity to enter in this important and highly visible category.
Old 02-11-13, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

I've mentioned this before : Best New Artist has always played fast & loose. That definition above gives a lot of wiggle room. The worst case I've seen recently was Drake who was nominated for Best Rap Solo Performance and Best Rap Song for "Best I Ever Had" in the 52nd Grammys (2010), lost both those, then was inexplicably nominated in the Best New Artist in the 53rd Grammys (where he lost to Esperanza Spalding). I get the logic of the "Whitney Houston" rule -- she was barred from competing in the Best New Artist category with her huge debut album because she appeared on a duet on the back side of a soundtrack album. That was clearly not fair, but neither is this -- once you've already been nominated for two Grammys, I don't think there's any way you could argue that you still haven't established the public identity of the artist.

That said, I certainly think fun. qualifies as a New Artist under the current Grammy rules. Best? That's another issue.

edit : Just read your quote above of the rules. By that definition, Drake would qualify in 2011 since his 2010 single was from a two-song EP, not an album (and since he didn't win a Grammy previously).

Last edited by Decker; 02-11-13 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Awards shows aren't the only places she made this face. Ask Joe Jonas, Taylor Lautner, Jake Gyllenhaal, John Mayer and a few others.
I get the joke, but seriously, I bought my daughter her concert Blu Ray and she makes this face at the end of every song she performs. As if she's expecting to be booed off the stage at the conclusion of each number. I'm all for humility and remembering where you came from, but this is so disingenuous; just say "Thank you so much" and move on. You're not surprised that pre-teen girls are applauding your performance at your own concert, so stop acting like you are.

She just feels like a phoney -- just like her singing along with all the performers in those Gifs above, after she just essentially dissed them during the show's opening by singing about her ex listening to "some indie record that's much cooler than mine". Can't have it both ways, babe.
Old 02-11-13, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I never heard of some of the winners:
fun.
Gotye
Mumford and Sons

And I'm not curious enough to seek out their songs.

When Mai Kuraki gets nominated for a Grammy, then I'll pay attention:
http://www.generasia.com/wiki/Kuraki_Mai
No offense but have you been living under a rock? I could understand if you were namedropping some of the electronic nominees, but all three of those artists have had very huge years. Mumford's been popular for about three years now and Babel is their second highly successful album. Fun and Gotye had the biggest hit singles of last year too, songs that were multiformat hits on pop, rock, alternative and AC.
Old 02-11-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the irony of how Spin spent two years practically blowing Mumford And Sons when they were a "rising buzz band" but now that we're at a point where they are one of the biggest bands on the planet, they feel obliged to tear them down. I don't get it. Didn't magazines like them and Pitchfork spend years demanding something to come along and replace Nickelback/Daughtry as the biggest band on the planet, and someone does and suddenly now it's time to bash M&S? I call BS. Mumford might be a little "too popular" at the moment but I can't say anything bad about them as musicians, they are all very talented.
Old 02-11-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
They have three albums dating back to 2009. How the hell were they even nominated for best new artist?
Bon Iver won BNA last year despite the fact his debut from 2008 had gone gold and already launched a song (Skinny Love) regarded as a modern day classic and has already been covered ad nauseam. I knew who Bon Iver was before the s/t album that "broke him" while I'd never heard of fun. before "We Are Young".
Old 02-11-13, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Fun. is an abomination from the fiery depths of hell. They are Anti-music. Them winning best new artist just proves how shitty they are - look at the company they're in.

I'm glad Alabama Shakes didn't win that, as they have actual talent and aren't reliant on cynical hype.
Would still take them over Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Rihanna and the other female pop stars who win every single year
Old 02-11-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
No offense but have you been living under a rock? I could understand if you were namedropping some of the electronic nominees, but all three of those artists have had very huge years. Mumford's been popular for about three years now and Babel is their second highly successful album. Fun and Gotye had the biggest hit singles of last year too, songs that were multiformat hits on pop, rock, alternative and AC.
I agree, I don't know what Ash Ketchum does or where he lives, but unless you're holed up in a cave in Northern Afghanistan, you pretty much cannot get away from those songs, even if you try. And believe me, I've tried!
Old 02-11-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Would still take them over Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Rihanna and the other female pop stars who win every single year
Thing is, it's easier to get away and distance myself from those pop women. But shitty bands like Fun. are part of a genre of music I listen to, so they show up on my radio, my Pandora, my Spotify, my TV shows, my trailers, etc. etc.

Further, I may not be a fan of their genre, but even I can tell that someone like Beyonce or Rihanna is a talent and a solid representation of that kind of music.

Fun is just a shitty band with shitty songs.
Old 02-11-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Thing is, it's easier to get away and distance myself from those pop women. But shitty bands like Fun. are part of a genre of music I listen to, so they show up on my radio, my Pandora, my Spotify, my TV shows, my trailers, etc. etc.

Further, I may not be a fan of their genre, but even I can tell that someone like Beyonce or Rihanna is a talent and a solid representation of that kind of music.

Fun is just a shitty band with shitty songs.
To me it's the opposite, Beyonce is shoved down your throat... the Super Bowl, commercials, magazine ads, etc... Fun. aren't quite as ubiquitous IMO. Beyonce is a talented singer and an okay songwriter despite being overexposed, but Rihanna IMO is like Britney where she's a pretty face and mediocre talent who has the right producers and songwriters backing her up.

Fun is actually better than their singles give them credit for. 'All The Pretty Girls' for example is a brilliant ELO pastiche. There are far worse bands on the chart than them IMO, Maroon 5 comes to mind. Fun. may as well be a hardcore punk band credibilitywise next to that sellout housewife band.