Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The all things METALLICA thread!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The all things METALLICA thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Re: The all things METALLICA thread!

Those performances are just Kirk and Rob fucking around with a song by a local artist while James and Lars take a break, that why it's called a "doodle". Yeah, they are kind of pointless and you often wish you could hear a serious, full band take (like when they covered Celtic Frost's "Procreation (of the Wicked)" in Switzerland, man I'd love to hear them go full out on that song) but they aren't meant to be serious covers, they are just having some fun jamming.
Old 09-13-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
It's crazy how many people Metallica were packing into shows by the time of the Justice tour. No radio or MTV play whatsoever, just word of mouth and non stop touring. And they were playing arenas.
When we got that tour in England it was still theaters. Of the two I went to (Manchester and Bradford), the Bradford one was all standing. Great crowd and sold out. Probably the 6th time I'd seen Metallica by that point and the second best gig (after Donington '85). Even with Cliff gone they were still a force live.
After about 91 or 92 they had lost that edge IMO. Still a damn good live band, but they'd lost that fire that pushed them to the top. Mid to late 80's Metallica couldn't be touched live, even by their peers like Slayer. They just seemed to have that extra control over the crowd that other bands didn't have.

Nice to see Newsted rocking the Vio-lence t-shirt in the clip though !
Old 09-13-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
I dunno about you, but I couldn't get away from "One", MTV and radio.
They were selling out arenas long before the "One" video came out. They filmed "One" in between the San Diego and Long Beach shows. And there were TWO shows at Long Beach. All three shows were in 10,000+ seat arenas. All sold out.
Old 09-13-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People really were not hearing Metallica on the radio before Justice? The standards from both Lightning and Puppets were in heavy rotation in this area. They always sold out what is now called Key Arena as well.
Old 09-13-18, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
People really were not hearing Metallica on the radio before Justice? The standards from both Lightning and Puppets were in heavy rotation in this area. They always sold out what is now called Key Arena as well.
They were on heavy rotation when college radio stations were still a thing around here when Kill 'Em All came out.

And yeah, by the time Master of Puppets came out, they would commonly be heard on other radio stations that played heavy music.
Old 09-13-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
They were selling out arenas long before the "One" video came out. They filmed "One" in between the San Diego and Long Beach shows. And there were TWO shows at Long Beach. All three shows were in 10,000+ seat arenas. All sold out.
I was at one of the Long Beach shows - not sure which one.
Old 09-13-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

When I was 11 I walked by a music store in the mall and noticed the covers for Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets in the window. Went in and bought all three on cassette along with Maiden's Somewhere In Time even though I had never heard a note of either band or even who they were. I got them based on the album cover alone and when I got home I had my face melted off.
Old 09-13-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They were all over college radio. Every commercial station that played rock music would have a specialty metal hour or two and they'd play Metallica (though it took them awhile... Here in San Diego it was on KGB and it wasn't until Ride came out until they were played. And it even took a guest friend of the DJ to get that played)
Old 09-14-18, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Okay, let me rephrase:

It's crazy how many people Metallica were packing into shows by the beginning of the Justice tour. Very little commercial radio play and virtually no MTV play prior to the One video, just word of mouth and non stop touring. And they were playing arenas.
Old 09-14-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And again, the lack of commercial airplay must have been a regional thing. Around the Seattle area they were played on the same stations that had adopted the hard/rock heavy metal format. There were two FM stations playing them just as often as the others and even one on AM. Those stations were getting amazing ratings given the bands in that genre were just as popular with their fans as the pop acts were with theirs, if not more so.
Old 09-14-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Okay, let me rephrase:

It's crazy how many people Metallica were packing into shows by the beginning of the Justice tour. Very little commercial radio play and virtually no MTV play prior to the One video, just word of mouth and non stop touring. And they were playing arenas.
Yep. I was agreeing with you. Amazing. Truly amazing.

I remember seeing Megadeth in '86 at a club (Mentors opened). The club played the "Ride The Lightning" in between bands and there was a full on pit going. To a record! Never seen anything like that before. There definitely was "something in the air" about Metallica in their formative years.
Old 09-14-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Oh man, a Megadeth/Mentors club show in '86? I so wish I was there!
Old 09-17-18, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

AJFA Box

$173.24
https://www.deepdiscount.com/and-jus...l/858978005813

$180.49
Amazon Amazon

$189.97
https://www.bullmoose.com/p/28057501...-6lp-11cd-4dvd
Old 09-24-18, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Coupon code - AUTUMN15
Coupon expires Wednesday, 9/26/2018 at noon CT.
Old 09-25-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

And again, the lack of commercial airplay must have been a regional thing. Around the Seattle area they were played on the same stations that had adopted the hard/rock heavy metal format. There were two FM stations playing them just as often as the others and even one on AM. Those stations were getting amazing ratings given the bands in that genre were just as popular with their fans as the pop acts were with theirs, if not more so.
We had a metal station pop up for a few years back then, but the big flagship rock station was too busy getting the Led out and playin' some Syynyrd, man! to play anything like Metallica. Well, they did have a midnight metal show on Friday nights, but that was only an hour or two.
Old 11-02-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="1266" height="712" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vMc24819DXk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-09-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

I loved seeing the album in Spotify today:
...And Justice for All (Remastered)
147 songs
Old 01-21-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

So I have Metallica tix for a March show, and I was wondering what band would opening up since I habe heard absolutely zip about anything.

I did a quick google search and found out it’s... Jim Breuer?

A stand-up comic opening up for Metallica?

Huh?

I realize he’s sort of a metalhead, but does a comedian opening up for Metallica really work? I would think a comedian would get booed and have cups and other shit thrown at them. You sort expect an actual band to open up, not some guy telling dad jokes. Maybe someone like Kinison would work, but he’s been dead for decades.

Anyone seen the show yet? How does it work out? Was Breuer any good, and how long was he up there?
Old 01-21-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
So I have Metallica tix for a March show, and I was wondering what band would opening up since I habe heard absolutely zip about anything.

I did a quick google search and found out it’s... Jim Breuer?

A stand-up comic opening up for Metallica?

Huh?

I realize he’s sort of a metalhead, but does a comedian opening up for Metallica really work? I would think a comedian would get booed and have cups and other shit thrown at them. You sort expect an actual band to open up, not some guy telling dad jokes. Maybe someone like Kinison would work, but he’s been dead for decades.

Anyone seen the show yet? How does it work out? Was Breuer any good, and how long was he up there?

From what I've seen - Breuer has a backing band and does covers mimicking his favorite metal/rock acts. It's all part of his schtick. He's been doing it for years.
Old 01-21-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

So a heavy metal Rich Little?
Old 01-21-19, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm going to the Cincinnati show next Wednesday, will let you know.

Edit: In the recent youtube audience captures out there, it looks like it's all stand-up comedy, no band.

Last edited by The Cow; 01-21-19 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

He opened for Metallica last time I saw them. He does impressions of the band as well as his comedy act He didn't have a band. It was pretty good though.
Old 01-25-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

https://nugs.net/register.aspx?rdto=...tallica_launch

600 shows available for streaming on nugs.net with membership. There is a free month offer up also.
Old 01-30-19, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V_srhzakPbM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l75iLL5M9vc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 01-31-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow, Ultramega OK covers. Deep cuts. Shows you how hard Soundgarden actually was before they went grunge. Badmotorfinger is miles different than Superunknown.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.