DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The all things METALLICA thread! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/605871-all-things-metallica-thread.html)

gerrythedon 02-25-13 09:32 PM

Re: The all things METALLICA thread!

Orion 2.0

We are thrilled to be back to give you details about the second annual Orion Music + More Festival, our very own two day live music and lifestyle event brought together in the spirit of the legendary festivals around the world that we have been fortunate to be a part of for so many years. We’re very proud and excited to be taking this year’s festival to Detroit, Michigan, a city with a long history of musical diversity that represents what our goal with Orion is – to bring you everything from metal to dance music and a little of what lives in between. And even though we have a new location, you can expect all the fun and games of last year’s Orion to return bigger, badder and crazier with more activities and entertainment for two full days on June 8 and 9, 2013 on the city’s Belle Isle.

This year we are super psyched to have the Red Hot Chili Peppers join us to close the main Orion stage one night while we hit that stage the other. All in all we’ll have over 30 bands across five stages and we’re excited that this year Orion will include an EDM tent headlined by Bassnectar. Check out the full list below of the amazing artists who will be a part of Orion this year, including Rise Against, the Deftones, Dropkick Murphys, Gogol Bordello, Silversun Pickups, Foals, The Joy Formidable, Death Grips, and Tomahawk, just to name a few . . . and this is just the beginning as we continue to invite a wide range of musicians, DJ’s, and bands to make the trek to Detroit.

Of course all our little personal quirks and stuff we’re into will be back in the form of James’ Custom Car & Motorcycle Show, Kirk’s Crypt, Lars’ Hit the Lights Film Tent and Robert’s Vans Vert Ramp alongside the Metallica Museum and other fan favorite attractions. Again, we've joined forces with our friends at C3 Presents, who bring you Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits each year here in the U.S. as well as presenting Big Day Out to our Australian friends, so if you joined us last year you can expect the same friendly atmosphere and festival amenities.

“I am SO there,” you say . . . here’s how you can get tickets:

The Met Club presale begins tomorrow, Tuesday, February 26 at 7:00 AM PST, ending February 28 at 7:00 PM PST. Clubbers should log in for more details on how to purchase special packages and discounted tickets early.

Orion Music + More E-list members may purchase $150 2-Day Passes before they go on-sale to the public. This presale starts February 27 at 7:00 AM PST and runs through February 28 at 7:00 PM PST.

Tickets will go on-sale to the public on March 1 at 7:00 AM PST for $150 for a 2-Day Pass including all fees, or $750 for the VIP ticket package including an elevated viewing platform, access to the front pit, complimentary food and beverages, air-conditioned private restrooms, comfy shaded seating. Visit www.orionmusicandmore.com for more details and to purchase tickets.

Ticket, hotel and shuttle packages are also available by clicking here: http://www.cidentertainment.com/home/orion2013.php

Stay tuned as we’ll have lots more good stuff coming your way between now and June 8th!

ORION MUSIC + MORE FESTIVAL 2013 LINEUP

Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rise Against
Deftones
Bassnectar
Dropkick Murphys
Gogol Bordello
Silversun Pickups
Foals
Destroid
Tomahawk
The Bronx
Datsik
Borgore
Dillon Francis
Flag
Adventure Club
The Joy Formidable
Japandroids
12th Planet
Death Grips
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Dirtyphonics
The Dirtbombs
DEATH
Fu Manchu
Fidlar
All Shall Perish
The Orwells
Battlecross
Cauldron

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mQncjxGvtN8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hazel Motes 03-13-13 12:43 AM

So I haven't listened to St Anger since around the time it came out, however many years ago that was. I decided to give it another chance today. 5 minutes in and it blew my computer speakers.

It was truly not mean't to be.

beavis69 03-13-13 07:43 AM

I have never met a fan that likes St Anger. It is just such a bad sounding record. I swear it was recorded in a tin trash can.

gerrythedon 03-13-13 11:48 PM

I listened to it on Monday and still love it.

nodeerforamonth 03-14-13 09:48 AM

I like the songs. Hate the production. When I listen to it, I put on the audio version from the rehearsal dvd.

wishbone 03-14-13 10:01 AM

I put the rehearsal version of Frantic on my mp3 player.

gerrythedon 04-25-13 08:18 PM

Through The Never Goes IMAX!

If you've been following along, you know that we're pretty damn excited about the upcoming release of our 3D film, Metallica Through the Never. Today we have big news as the movie goes extreme next level with IMAX! Starting September 27, 2013 our movie will be shown exclusively on EVERY single screen in EVERY single IMAX theatre in North America for a full week. That's over 300 theatres that we'll be unleashing Through The Never to... an IMAX first! There really is no better way than this to experience film and promises to amount to an unprecedented and very unique visit to the movies.

Don't have an IMAX theatre nearby? No problem! The movie will roll into additional theatres in full 3D one week later on October 4. In the meantime we're editing and putting the finishing touches on the film, so keep watching here for many more details, photos, and video clips from our live extravaganza filmed last summer in Vancouver. With so many of you playing a very important role on those nights, we are anxious to begin to share it all with you very soon and we'll see you in the theatres this Fall!

Click here http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-24-08-53-57 to read the AP News story and interview with Lars.

Full Press Release Below

PICTUREHOUSE'S METALLICA THROUGH THE NEVER
ROCKS IMAX® 3D THEATRES FOR EXCLUSIVE RUN
IN NORTH AMERICA BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 27

IMAX Corporation and Picturehouse today announced that Metallica Through the Never, filmmaker Nimród Antal's captivating 3D movie featuring one of music's most enduring and iconic bands, will be digitally re-mastered into the immersive IMAX® 3D format and released wide in North America exclusively into IMAX® theatres for a one-week engagement starting Friday, Sept. 27. The film will expand into additional theatres on Oct. 4.

Starring Metallica, a cast of thousands of their fans and breakout star Dane DeHaan (Chronicle, The Amazing Spider-Man 2), Metallica Through the Never is written and directed by award-winning filmmaker Nimród Antal (Predators, Kontroll) and produced by former IMAX film producer Charlotte Huggins (Journey to the Center of the Earth). The film marries groundbreaking footage and editing techniques with a compelling narrative, in which a band crew member (played by DeHaan) is sent out on a mission during Metallica's roaring live set in front of a sold-out arena. While on this mission, he unexpectedly has his life turned completely upside down.

"IMAX! It doesn't get bigger or cooler than that!" said Lars Ulrich who formed Metallica in 1981 together with James Hetfield. "For four guys in a rock band of average height, to get a chance to unleash their 3D film on IMAX screens the size of buildings across the country is a mind-blowing thought. 'Hey look, Mom, I'm 50 feet tall (finally!)' There is no better way to experience film and when you throw in the spectacle of music and sound this should amount to an unprecedented, unique and truly next level experience."

"The totally immersive experience of IMAX 3D is the perfect complement to Metallica's in-your-face, big and loud performance style," said Bob Berney, CEO of Picturehouse. "The combination of the band's music and a strong storyline create a unique cinematic experience for die-hard fans and general moviegoers alike."

"Nimród Antal and Metallica have done a tremendous job capturing the essence of the band's commanding live performances and have created a visual and aural cinematic spectacle," said Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Entertainment. "We believe the power of The IMAX Experience® will deliver for Metallica fans and ensure they feel every part of this journey."

The IMAX 3D release of Metallica Through the Never will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images, coupled with IMAX's customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio, create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie.

Why So Blu? 04-25-13 08:28 PM

The narrative of this film is what worries me. I am a fan of Antal's Predators and Kontroll and Vacancy, so we'll see how it goes.

gerrythedon 05-07-13 11:02 PM

Album news :(

:drool: interviewer

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/snslCGitpaA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

inri222 05-08-13 09:37 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dina_Butti

Dina Butti also known as Dina El-Gamal, is an Egyptian/Canadian TV presenter, writer and artist.
She is known for presenting on the United Arab Emirates’ English television channel, Dubai One.

http://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/...52/3888353.png

Mordred 05-08-13 03:19 PM

Tygers of Pan Tang shirt :up:

gerrythedon 05-08-13 11:12 PM

James could easily have her :D
Pre-2004 James woulda had her :D

Josh-da-man 05-09-13 01:06 AM

I'd bury my face in her butti.

Jediturtle 05-09-13 08:58 AM

My main hobby is pinball machines. Thought you guys might be intersted in seeing this baby:
http://www.pinballnews.com/games/metallica/index3.html

I can't wait to get my hands on one. I can definitely see one of these rocking my basement someday!

EddieMoney 05-09-13 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 11682652)

I would definitely have unprotected sex with her.

cungar 05-09-13 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jediturtle (Post 11684382)
My main hobby is pinball machines. Thought you guys might be intersted in seeing this baby:

I can't wait to get my hands on one. I can definitely see one of these rocking my basement someday!

$5,000+ ? You must have plenty of disposable income.

gerrythedon 05-09-13 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jediturtle (Post 11684382)

Yeah knew about those, they're fucking cool... and soon u will be :cool: :)

post pictures when u do get one!

gerrythedon 05-09-13 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 11684395)
I would definitely have unprotected sex with her.

:hump:

gerrythedon 05-22-13 10:31 PM

Metallica Has 'Enough' Songs For Next Album

As it prepares for its second Orion Music + More festival, taking place this year June 8-9 on Belle Isle in Detroit after starting last year in Atlantic City, Metallica also has its sights on future projects -- including its upcoming 3D film and a follow-up to 2008's "Death Magnetic" (and the 2011 "Beyond Magnetic" EP).

"I want it done yesterday," frontman James Hetfield tells Billboard about the group's next album, "and (Orion) and this movie is keeping us pretty busy at this point and it's taking a lot of our time and effort. We've been touring some obscure places; I guess basically what we're trying to do is pay for this movie, so the touring is keeping us from getting in there and finishing the record. Right now the focus is on the movie."

That said, Hetfield adds that the quartet has at least made a start on a new album.

"Yeah, we got out into the room and jammed and we've come up with enough material for a record, for sure," Hetfield says. "We've gone through maybe one-tenth of the material that's on our riffs CDs. We've got enough for an album, we just haven't had enough time to really focus on it and dial in and start whittling it into these masterpieces, hopefully."

Bassist Robert Trujillo points out that "the work ethic is super, super strong, and that's what takes us longer than other bands, because we're sitting there and sometimes we're really analyzing things. I mean, for every one lyric, Hetfield has, like three lyric possibilities. But I can tell you this; the grooves and the riffs that are already on the radar are really, really awesome. We've still got more riffs to go through and jam out and throw into the process, but we're getting there, and we'll have something great, hopefully, in the next year."

Before then, of course, we'll be seeing "Metallica Through the Never," the Nimrod Antal-directed film that mixes Metallica performance footage (filmed last year in Vancouver) with a script that stars actor Dane DeHaan as a member of the Metallica crew who has to carry out a mysterious assignment while the band is playing onstage. The film debuts Sept. 27 in the U.S. and will be accompanied by a soundtrack album, while drummer Lars Ulrich is currently at the Cannes Film Festival with international distributor Exclusive Media looking or overseas buyers.

"The film is not done, but we're extremely close." Hetfield says. "There's editing, dialing, sounds, mixing, things like that that have to happen. But it's pretty complex. It's like three movies in one...So there's a lot of different dynamics happening within this movie, and every time we go and see it and tweak here and there. It's like putting a song together -- only it's a little more expensive. It's pretty scary but it's been something on our radar for awhile. It's become more unique than we ever though it would."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...for-next-album

gerrythedon 05-22-13 10:32 PM

<iframe width="624" height="351" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://movies.yahoo.com/video/metallica-never-trailer-224022859.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false"></iframe>

gerrythedon 06-04-13 03:13 AM

JASON NEWSTED: I Saved METALLICA Twice - June 3, 2013

Czech Republic's Muzikus.cz recently conducted an interview with former METALLICA, VOIVOD and FLOTSAM AND JETSAM bassist and current NEWSTED frontman Jason Newsted. You can now listen to the chat in three parts below.

Speaking about his decision to leave METALLICA in 2001, Jason said: "I don't know if this is selfish, and anybody can take it the way they want, or maybe it's egotistical — I'm not sure — but I truly feel that I saved [METALLICA] in 1986 by being the right choice [to replace late METALLICA bassist] Cliff Burton] and being able to take all the shit [from the other guys in the band]… and take all the good, too. And I also saved their band 12 years ago by stepping aside and letting them carry on with what they wanted to carry on with.

"I was not able to be on the same page with them anymore; they were taking too much time away from the band. We hadn't plugged in our amps for months and months and months by the time that I made the decision and called the meeting to talk to them. There had been so much distraction from actually playing the metal that I couldn't take it anymore. I was busy with my other project — I already started recording. I was already going forward with another project that I was gonna do a worldwide release with, because they weren't spending any time playing any music."

He continued: "It's great to [spend time with] your family, and it's great to do all those things, but METALLICA is still a fucking priority, and it always was a priority for me. And I think that, over time, it became not just a priority for them. It was always, and my band is still right now the priority for me — even though I have [other things] going on, it's still what I put first. And anybody around me, anybody in my circle, [like] my wife, or anyone, knows that that's coming first. And I always put METALLICA first. When those guys stopped putting it first all the time — like we all used to do together — it changed things for me. They weren't able to give the same amount of time to play at volume and remember why we were doing this.

"When we played loud together, it transcended everything — all the rest of the world went away, all the issues, all the shit. When we went loud, nothing existed except our power.

"In August of 2000, when we stopped playing live, James [Hetfield, METALLICA guitarist/vocalist] had injured himself — he couldn't be the same player, he had to wear his guitar different, he couldn't stand at the mic the same, it was a different approach on things. He wasn't spending as much time on music because of life, and I understand that — I don't have anything against that. But if you're committed to having this thing, this giant fucking thing that we worked so hard for to be the priority, if all of a sudden other things are more important than that, I can't do it. It's got to be the priority the whole fucking time. And it was for me, but it wasn't for them. Ultimately, at that time in our career, I had to step off, because I had things to do; I had music to play and share with people, and they had a different vision of how they were gonna go about things at that point.

"James was in a serious emotional and [alcohol-abuse] trouble, and I knew that. And I had to step off. And when I stepped off, I do believe that was the catalyst for him to realize that there was trouble. 'Cause I was always his brother. Dressing-room-wise, Kirk [Hammett, guitar] and Lars [Ulrich, drums] [always shared a] dressing room, James and Jason [shared the other] dressing room — for years. We were brothers. We were like-minded. We liked trucks, we liked guns, we liked the outdoors, we liked the mountains. We were like-minded people. We are brothers — strong brothers, like that. I mean, my family took James on as a family member. My mom sent… my mom probably still sends him birthday cards. We were that close. So when that kind of thing comes about where you don't have that same commitment anymore, or whether I'm misreading it or not, but we weren't committed the same way that we had been in the past, and I just wasn't feeling it; it wasn't right. And I was pretty well fucked up on some substances at that point too. So nobody was in their right mind.

"We should have kind of… Like Lars said awhile ago, we didn't take any time to assess the mental stability of the members of the band and the individuals. After so much hard work and not being home for 10 years, pushing and pushing and pushing it to be the biggest thing ever, we forgot about everything else. And it makes people unstable. And if we sat down and actually addressed people's mental issues… and I was addicted to painkillers and James was all drunk… It was a mess. If we would have addressed it as people instead of bringing in an outsider, then we could have probably done it. But because of what happened, and what transpired, and the managers bringing in an outsider and trying to fix it, and all that kind of shit, I was not gonna be a part of that."

Audio clips
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.asp...sitemID=190740

gerrythedon 06-05-13 10:01 PM

Metallica Gear Up for Second Orion Festival
Inside the metal gods' early-morning rehearsals: riffs, jokes, raw power

A few minutes after 9:00 A.M. on a Tuesday morning, flip-flop-clad guitarist Kirk Hammett dashes into Metallica's Bay Area rehearsal room. The rest of the band started closer to 8:30; barefoot frontman James Hetfield has a hard out at 9:35, so there's not a lot of time. (Hammett is sorry he's late, but he got stuck in a slow lurch between a utility truck and a garbage truck on his way in.) The musicians form a semicircle around Lars Ulrich's drum kit and jump into a handful of tunes they haven't played in a few years. You'll never hear staples like "Enter Sandman" or "Seek and Destroy" being rehearsed at Metallica HQ, but if it's a deep cut from 1983's Kill 'Em All or 1997's Reload, odds are the band will give it a cursory once-over before bringing it to the stage.

Metallica are in the midst of final preparations for their second Orion Music and More Festival, coming to Detroit's Belle Isle park on June 8th and 9th. Last year, the band played two of its albums in their entirety over two nights, a concept they won't be revisiting this year; instead, based on Tuesday's rehearsal, there will be numerous fan-pleasing rarities. Often, the band doesn't need to run through a whole song at rehearsal – just a few of the transitions and the occasional guitar solo. Ulrich, who creates the band's setlists, is the maestro: He calls out the name of the song and a specific starting point ("After the second chorus, before the solo"), quickly counts off, and immediately the rest of the band is right there with him. It's impressive. There are techs on standby with Teleprompters and studio versions of the songs for comparison, but they aren't called upon too often.

Metallica Have 'Enough Material' For New Album

The band runs fully through two lesser-played songs, then smooths over a few riffs. Even at 9:15 in the morning – a time Ulrich calls "borderline inhuman" – with mugs of hot tea on stools and some sleepy eyes, Hetfield and Hammett lock into precise twin-guitar harmonies, bassist Rob Trujillo gets into his famous crouch to drive home the heavier grooves and Hetfield goes all-out on some tough vocal parts. Hetfield briefly flubs a riff and shares a laugh with Hammett, who jokes that it's so early that he can "barely remember how to hold a pick." The mood turns silly, and the guitarists add falsetto vocal harmonies to an otherwise abrasive song from their early days.

Hetfield unplugs, says farewell, and leaves. Left without a singer, the band presses Rolling Stone to take the microphone, but after noticing the number of active video cameras in the room, we politely pass. The remaining trio tackles a few more songs instrumentally, and Trujillo temporarily takes charge, leading Hammett and Ulrich through a song the band has only performed once before, one Trujillo didn't even record with the band, but he knows the changes best. He later becomes playfully incredulous when Hammett can't remember the lines of a song he's been performing for over 30 years. "He may secretly listen to those songs more than the rest of us do," Ulrich says of Trujillo.

After practicing a few more sections and deeming some of the other songs on the setlist too heavy for this early hour, they call it a day. Hammett bemoans a less-than-stellar report about local surfing conditions, and Ulrich and Trujillo settle in to do some press.

Instead of performing both nights at Orion, this year Metallica are ceding one night to another headliner, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. A stage dedicated to electronic dance music, which Ulrich dreamed up after seeing Skrillex perform at Outside Lands last year, is the other major addition. The drummer names the Deftones, Japandroids, Fu Manchu and Foals as his most highly-anticipated Orion performances this year.

When we remind him that the following day is the tenth anniversary of the release of St. Anger, he's surprised, but quickly comes up with a not-at-all-serious idea.

"Fuck, we've got to play St. Anger in its entirety, then," Ulrich says – aware that even joking about performing the divisive 2003 album may strike fear into the hearts of many. "When you've been around as long as we have, you can find an anniversary pretty much anywhere you look. I was not aware of that. I don't pay a lot of attention to dates at that level, but fuck, 10 years since St. Anger, Jesus. That's four more years than the Beatles made records. I sometimes trip on that."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...tival-20130605

gerrythedon 06-05-13 10:01 PM

Metallica Gear Up for Second Orion Festival
Inside the metal gods' early-morning rehearsals: riffs, jokes, raw power

A few minutes after 9:00 A.M. on a Tuesday morning, flip-flop-clad guitarist Kirk Hammett dashes into Metallica's Bay Area rehearsal room. The rest of the band started closer to 8:30; barefoot frontman James Hetfield has a hard out at 9:35, so there's not a lot of time. (Hammett is sorry he's late, but he got stuck in a slow lurch between a utility truck and a garbage truck on his way in.) The musicians form a semicircle around Lars Ulrich's drum kit and jump into a handful of tunes they haven't played in a few years. You'll never hear staples like "Enter Sandman" or "Seek and Destroy" being rehearsed at Metallica HQ, but if it's a deep cut from 1983's Kill 'Em All or 1997's Reload, odds are the band will give it a cursory once-over before bringing it to the stage.

Metallica are in the midst of final preparations for their second Orion Music and More Festival, coming to Detroit's Belle Isle park on June 8th and 9th. Last year, the band played two of its albums in their entirety over two nights, a concept they won't be revisiting this year; instead, based on Tuesday's rehearsal, there will be numerous fan-pleasing rarities. Often, the band doesn't need to run through a whole song at rehearsal – just a few of the transitions and the occasional guitar solo. Ulrich, who creates the band's setlists, is the maestro: He calls out the name of the song and a specific starting point ("After the second chorus, before the solo"), quickly counts off, and immediately the rest of the band is right there with him. It's impressive. There are techs on standby with Teleprompters and studio versions of the songs for comparison, but they aren't called upon too often.

The band runs fully through two lesser-played songs, then smooths over a few riffs. Even at 9:15 in the morning – a time Ulrich calls "borderline inhuman" – with mugs of hot tea on stools and some sleepy eyes, Hetfield and Hammett lock into precise twin-guitar harmonies, bassist Rob Trujillo gets into his famous crouch to drive home the heavier grooves and Hetfield goes all-out on some tough vocal parts. Hetfield briefly flubs a riff and shares a laugh with Hammett, who jokes that it's so early that he can "barely remember how to hold a pick." The mood turns silly, and the guitarists add falsetto vocal harmonies to an otherwise abrasive song from their early days.

Hetfield unplugs, says farewell, and leaves. Left without a singer, the band presses Rolling Stone to take the microphone, but after noticing the number of active video cameras in the room, we politely pass. The remaining trio tackles a few more songs instrumentally, and Trujillo temporarily takes charge, leading Hammett and Ulrich through a song the band has only performed once before, one Trujillo didn't even record with the band, but he knows the changes best. He later becomes playfully incredulous when Hammett can't remember the lines of a song he's been performing for over 30 years. "He may secretly listen to those songs more than the rest of us do," Ulrich says of Trujillo.

After practicing a few more sections and deeming some of the other songs on the setlist too heavy for this early hour, they call it a day. Hammett bemoans a less-than-stellar report about local surfing conditions, and Ulrich and Trujillo settle in to do some press.

Instead of performing both nights at Orion, this year Metallica are ceding one night to another headliner, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. A stage dedicated to electronic dance music, which Ulrich dreamed up after seeing Skrillex perform at Outside Lands last year, is the other major addition. The drummer names the Deftones, Japandroids, Fu Manchu and Foals as his most highly-anticipated Orion performances this year.

When we remind him that the following day is the tenth anniversary of the release of St. Anger, he's surprised, but quickly comes up with a not-at-all-serious idea.

"Fuck, we've got to play St. Anger in its entirety, then," Ulrich says – aware that even joking about performing the divisive 2003 album may strike fear into the hearts of many. "When you've been around as long as we have, you can find an anniversary pretty much anywhere you look. I was not aware of that. I don't pay a lot of attention to dates at that level, but fuck, 10 years since St. Anger, Jesus. That's four more years than the Beatles made records. I sometimes trip on that."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...tival-20130605

gerrythedon 06-06-13 10:06 PM

Infectious Grooves Reunion Leads Off Robert Trujillo's Breakneck Orion Fest

As if playing in three bands and curating one of the sideshows isn't enough, this year's Orion Music + More festival may give Metallica bassist Robert Trujillo a little more work on his plate in the future.

The second edition of the event -- taking place Saturday and Sunday on Belle Isle Park [June 8-9] in Detroit -- will feature a reunion performance by Infectious Grooves, the funk-metal all-star group Trujillo and former Suicidal Tendencies bandmate Mike Muir started in 1989 and which is still together but largely dormant. They'll be joined by original guitarist Dean Pleasants and drummer Stephen Perkins of Jane's Addiction, while Faith No More's Jim Martin is stepping in for retired guitarist Adam Siegel. And Trujillo holds out the possibility that there could be more Grooves in the future for the lineup.

"I'd love potentially for there to be at least an L.A. show, 'cause that's where we started," Trujillo tells Billboard. "It always seemed like we had a strong fan base on the West Coast, and the other spot where the band was ridiculously popular, believe it or not, was in France. I always think of it like this; if there's a demand, we'll find a way to do it. And it seems like at least the band is going to be rehearsed and ready to go. We had a rehearsal and it sounded awesome. So as long as it doesn't take away from Metallica or anyone else's other priority bands, anything's possible."

Trujillo says he broached the idea of the Infectious Grooves performance -- which will take place Saturday evening -- with Muir after last year's inaugural Orion fest in Atlantic City, when the bassist joined Suicidal Tendencies to play a few Infectious Grooves songs. Muir was initially non-committal since Suicidal Tendencies released a new album, "13," this year and was touring to support it, but Trujillo says that "all of a sudden I started hearing through the grapevine that Infectious Grooves was playing this year's Orion. Everybody knew but me! I waited to talk to Mike Muir, and he eventually sent me an e-mail that said, 'Yeah, we want to do this.' So it's on, and we're really looking forward to this."

So are Trujillo's Metallica bandmates. "I'm very stoked about that," says James Hetfield. "Even just having Suicidal last (year), seeing those guys, (Trujillo) and Mike Muir together again, they're quite an intimidating team to me. When Suicidal toured with us a ways back, there's no way I would've thought that bass player was going to be in our band one day 'cause he looked like such a part of that band. So I'm extremely grateful he's in our band."

Trujillo will, of course, be playing with Metallica on Sunday (which is expected to focus on rarities rather than full albums like the group's 2012 Orion sets) as well as overseeing the Vans Damage Inc. Stage and Vert Ramp on the festival site, where extreme skateboarders will show off their best stunts. That includes Tony Trujillo (no relation), who will again perform with his wife, Ashley Trujillo and Metallica's Trujillo as the Trujillo Trio on the Damage Inc. stage.

"(Orion) is really a lifestyle event for us, but somehow in the mix I've got more lifestyle I'm involved in," Robert Trujillo says with a laugh. "It's a lot of work, but it's very rewarding. It's all about the experience and having a good time and connecting with the fans. We really don't even see each other unless it's in passing or in the dressing room, by luck. I remember Lars (Ulrich) was making himself a sandwich and I just happened to be back there doing the same thing. But otherwise we didn't even see each other until we were on stage."

Don't, by the way, expect to see Trujillo on the Vert Ramp at Orion. "No, that I will not do," he says with a laugh. "At one point I thought maybe I would have to do that, but then last year when I saw firsthand what these pro skaters are actually doing, I thought, 'I'm gonna save myself the embarrassment and let the professionals handle the big drops and he big airs. I'll just stick to doing tic-tacs and 360s and little tall slides on the ground, and that's about it."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...eck-orion-fest

gerrythedon 06-06-13 10:08 PM

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...11821813_n.jpg

http://distilleryimage2.s3.amazonaws...0a1f96ec_7.jpg

taken from http://www.metallicabb.com/index.php?showtopic=155350