Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The all things METALLICA thread!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The all things METALLICA thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: The all things METALLICA thread!

Live Debut! My favorite from album.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ErPXaePdgZY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-18-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

S&Mē: THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT

Check this out, you know how much we love firsts and we are always extremely proud to wave the flag for our hometown of San Francisco, so this first is particularly exciting as we announce that we will be performing at the grand opening celebration of the Chase Center with S&Mē on Friday, September 6th. That’s right, not only will this be the inaugural event at the new arena in the city, but we will be playing once again with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra as we join together to commemorate this historic addition to the Bay Area and mark the 20th anniversary of the S&M concerts and album release.

We’re honored that legendary conductor Michael Tilson Thomas will kick off his final season as San Francisco Symphony Musical Director with a special appearance conducting a portion of the show. James and Lars joined Michael, along with representatives from the Golden State Warriors and San Francisco mayor London Breed, to make the announcement at the Chase Center today.

Presales for Fan Club members begin tomorrow, March 19th with the Legacy Member sale beginning at 9 AM Pacific Time and the Fifth Member sale beginning at 10 AM Pacific Time. Please visit the Club News section for additional details including where to find your presale code.

Tickets will go on sale the general public on Friday, March 22nd at 10 AM Pacific Time at chasecenter.com.

Please join us for this one-night-only show as we celebrate the addition of what is sure to become a cultural landmark in the Bay Area. We’re thrilled to be invited to be a part of it and humbled to be sharing the stage with the legendary MTT and the city’s finest musicians in the San Francisco Symphony.
Old 03-20-19, 10:45 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

In what way is San Francisco their hometown?
Old 03-20-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Metallica has long considered their hometown as San Fransisco. Despite initially forming in LA, they moved to San Fransisco to get Burton into the band. Whether or not you want to consider the first 2 years without long-term members, they apparently do not.
Old 03-20-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Yeah, although they started in LA, they started finding success after moving to the Bay area because they wanted Cliff in the band (and Kirk was also from there), and that location had a much better thrash scene than LA so it worked out great. They've been considered a Bay area band for years and years, no one calls them an LA band just because James and Lars started the band there.
Old 03-20-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I want to see Roberto smash his bass on some classical versions of the Metallica. Whether folks liked the first S&M, it can't be denied that they were the first band to kick off the whole classical orchestra/rock combination. Hell, Kiss did it a couple of years later.
Old 03-20-19, 02:10 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, although they started in LA, they started finding success after moving to the Bay area because they wanted Cliff in the band (and Kirk was also from there), and that location had a much better thrash scene than LA so it worked out great. They've been considered a Bay area band for years and years, no one calls them an LA band just because James and Lars started the band there.

The whole thing seems manufactured. They’re kind of phonies. I learned, to my surprise, that Lars and Hetfield met in high school in Newport Beach! And other founding members were from Huntington Beach and Downey.

They being from SF is like New York Seltzer is bottled in Walnut, CA.

I am not getting my thoughts across too well but regardless to say, I’m not buying it.
Old 03-20-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse

The whole thing seems manufactured. They’re kind of phonies. I learned, to my surprise, that Lars and Hetfield met in high school in Newport Beach! And other founding members were from Huntington Beach and Downey.

I am not getting my thoughts across too well but regardless to say, I’m not buying it.
Hetfield is from Downey, but that was when there were whites (he was poor/working class, though) in Downey. Now the majority of folks in Downey are Latino.
Old 03-20-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kirk was from El Sobrante, Cliff was from Castro Valley and James & Lars permanently moved to the area before their first album was even recorded, so I'm ok with Metallica being called an SF band.
Old 03-20-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Lars wasn't even born in America. Frauds.
Old 03-20-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's right, so Burton-era Metallica was technically 1/2 Bay area, 1/4 LA and 1/4 Danish.
Old 03-20-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

You're reeeeeeally stretching for things about Metallica to be offended by. Metallica has been based out of the Bay Area for just about their whole career. Just about every significant show they've ever played that wasn't part of a tour has been in San Francisco. (S&M, the 30th Anniversary shows, club gigs to warm up for tours, all the countless Fillmore shows.) Their entire headquarters where they record, conduct business etc, has been in San Francisco for almost 20 years. They wrote most of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets in a garage in El Cerrito. They've all lived in the Bay Area off and on since the beginning of the the band. I don't understand what it is you think they're trying to get away with? Even if all this wasn't true, like James and Lars are sitting around twirling their moustaches trying to think of ways to connive people on the internet into believing they are a San Fran band. Like, to what end would they even do that? What would they get out of that? Of all the things that people get pissed off at Metallica for, this is a new one for me.
Old 08-07-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gd6SycTT-NI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 09-27-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I now see why Hetfield was looking a 100 years old during this tour. He was bloated, red, etc... Looks like he relapsed. I guess he hit the tipping point.

https://sports.yahoo.com/metallicas-...013649739.html
Old 09-29-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

See...I told you guys he looked like shit. All bloated and old man looking.
Just goes to show that alcoholism is a real disease. Almost 20 years sober and it came back to get him.
Hope he recovers again.
Old 09-29-19, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

James has always looked rough...

He wasn't even twenty in that photo.
Old 09-30-19, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Almost 20 years sober and it came back to get him.
It didn't come back. He dove back in.
Embarrasing. A grown ass man with everything in the world, and he still can't handle that shit.
Old 09-30-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Addiction can be a bitch, regardless of what you do or don't have in life.
Old 10-01-19, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gunde
It didn't come back. He dove back in.
Embarrasing. A grown ass man with everything in the world, and he still can't handle that shit.
You haven't the faintest idea of what you're talking about.
Old 10-07-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

What Hazel said....

And yeah, James has always looked fugly, but recently I had noticed he was bloated looking in the face.
I feel bad for the dude. 20 years is a long time to stay away from addiction and have it creep it's way back.
Old 10-09-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

S&Mē ALBUM AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY 2020.
DETAILS COMING SOON!

Old 01-08-20, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a bunch of phonies.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/me...JNY3E.facebook
Old 05-01-20, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 02-09-21, 12:18 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Release of the colored vinyls dominated the sales this week

Old 02-09-21, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

And it looks like they're all sold out, except for Black and Hardwire, as of now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.