DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The all things METALLICA thread! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/605871-all-things-metallica-thread.html)

gerrythedon 11-20-14 12:37 PM

Re: The all things METALLICA thread!

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oblAv0Ks7xQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gerrythedon 11-20-14 11:54 PM

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aotoGhCUvi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gerrythedon 11-21-14 01:26 PM

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GDM4jZCZVIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Inhumans99 11-22-14 06:08 PM

I caught their performance on Craig's show last night, and it was fantastic. What I really liked about their Late Late Show appearances is that it felt like they were genuinely thrilled to be on the show, which made it just so much more fun listening to their end of show rock out.

stvn1974 11-22-14 07:18 PM

I have never seen a Metallica live performance where they seemed like they were just going through the motions and there for a paycheck. The millionth "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is just as great as in the 1980s.

Inhumans99 11-22-14 07:26 PM

Stvn1974... I should clarify, I hear Metallica is great in concert, I am just used to late show type performances that do feel like the performer is going through the motions, and it is still a pleasant surprise when someone shows passion for their performance.

stvn1974 11-22-14 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 (Post 12310895)
Stvn1974... I should clarify, I hear Metallica is great in concert, I am just used to late show type performances that do feel like the performer is going through the motions, and it is still a pleasant surprise when someone shows passion for their performance.

No problem, I got what you meant and my post wasn't aimed at you in any way. I saw them on the Death Magnetic Tour a few years back in Tulsa, OK and it was great. I couldn't believe how long they actually hung out on stage after the show was over and just bullshitted with the audience. It was Kirk's birthday too so there were balloons. :D

People like to complain about the way the band has changed with each album but I have never gotten the feeling that they take their fans for granted or try to rip them off as so many artist do. I even feel like they were in the right with the whole Napster thing. Looking forward to a new album, just hope it is mastered better.

sniper007 02-16-15 10:32 PM

Metallica at the halftime show of super bowl 50? https://www.change.org/p/national-fo...-super-bowl-50

islandclaws 02-17-15 11:19 AM

I'd love to see this. It likely won't happen, but they would kill it.

Phodg 02-17-15 12:07 PM

I hope not. The NFL and the networks would make them pre-tape just like everyone else (just in case of screw-ups, swearing etc). They'd be miming.

gerrythedon 02-17-15 10:26 PM

... so THE RAIDERS need to make it to the championship :)

gerrythedon 03-02-15 11:48 PM

Celebrate Record Store Day With A Trip Back In Time
March 2, 2015

This year we decided to celebrate Record Store Day with our friends at independent retail by taking a huge leap back in time to our humble beginnings with that little rectangle of plastic known as the "demo tape." In 1982 we recorded seven songs that became our initial calling card known as No Life 'til Leather and it led us to our first record deal . . . the rest, as you some of you may know, is history! On Record Store Day, April 18th that demo tape will be available as a limited edition cassette (yes, cassette!!) at your favorite neighborhood record store and Metallica.com.

We've been digging through the archives, gone to the original source material and re-mastered it to maximize the sound potential for 2015 without altering the original mixes in any way. Recorded with the first line-up of the band that appeared live as Metallica, No Life 'til Leather has never been commercially available until now. Look for expanded versions coming on CD, vinyl and a collector's set sometime this summer.

We hope you enjoy this little walk down memory lane with us and that you will continue to join us in supporting independent record stores around the world. Visit RecordStoreDay.com for a list of independent retail stores taking part in Record Store Day.

Head over to RollingStone.com to read an interview with Lars about this special release.

Tracklisting
Hit The Lights
The Mechanix
Motorbreath
Seek & Destroy
Metal Militia
Jump In The Fire
Phantom Lord

Recorded on July 6, 1982 at Chateau East Studio, Tustin, CA

James Hetfield – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
Lars Ulrich – drums
Dave Mustaine – lead guitar
Ron McGovney – bass

http://www.metallica.com/images/no-l...ther_cover.jpg http://www.metallica.com/images/no-l...r_cassette.jpg

http://www.metallica.com/news/no-life-til-leather.asp

islandclaws 03-03-15 02:08 PM

That is super cool but I highly doubt I'll be able to snag a copy.

cdollaz 03-03-15 02:23 PM

Just put out a new album already.

emanon 03-03-15 05:00 PM

I had a vinyl boot of that back in the day...wonder what ever happened to it? I have a feeling it got tossed in the trash with a few hundred other LPs sometime after I left my parents' house in 1989. :(

stvn1974 03-03-15 05:35 PM

Turn down bass on amp. :lol:

gerrythedon 03-03-15 11:14 PM

found this funny, yes Mustaine is part of this but putting a big article [and not partial] on their site is cool.

http://www.megadeth.com/news/metalli...ather-cassette

TheMadMonk 03-04-15 08:18 AM

No 8-track? No sale.

inri222 03-05-15 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 12412471)
Turn down bass on amp. :lol:

http://cdn.3news.co.nz/3news/AM/2014....jpg?width=700

sniper007 03-05-15 02:20 PM

Album Update:METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich tells RollingStone.com that the band has written close to 20 new songs for its new album, and will likely enter the pre-production recording phase in the near future.

"We are fucking in it," Ulrich says. "We've got lots of songs, and we're honing them and tweaking them. It's pretty close."

He continues: "In our world, there's been a distinct difference between the creative phase and the recording phase. With this project, we're trying to bridge the two a little more organically and not have there be such a great divide between the processes. We want to see if we can bring some of the creative curiosity, the impulsive stuff that happens when you're first playing a song into the studio.

"You want to tweak it and get it good, but you also want to record it in a way where it doesn't feel labored over and overthought. We're trying to figure out where that line is."

Ulrich adds: "The creative elements are getting close to being done," the drummer says. "Just remember, this is still 'METALLICA time.' When I say we're close to being done, it means the next month or so. There's a lot of stuff going on as life continues with family and personal events.... But we are certainly down there [writing] pretty much every day."

Neil M. 03-05-15 02:24 PM

In other words, don't expect an album until 2016.

gerrythedon 03-18-15 11:36 PM

New Free Download at LiveMetallica.com!

Speaking of LiveMetallica.com, you may remember that we played a surprise party for our friend Marc Benioff and his company Salesforce last month. You can get a free MP3 download of the gig over in the Free Download Vault.

http://www.livemetallica.com/live-mu...ncisco-CA.html

inri222 03-30-15 11:13 AM

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/lars-...ca-bass-sound/

Was Lars Ulrich to Blame for Lack of Bass on Metallica’s ‘… And Justice For All’?

There’s a reason for the oft-criticized thinness of the bass on Metallica‘s … And Justice For All, according to mixer Steve Thompson: Drummer Lars Ulrich wanted it that way.

In fact, Ulrich came into the sessions with a detailed sense of what he wanted out of the drum sound, Thompson says, even bringing in photos of an equalizer set up. And Ulrich was willing to fight for that vision, even at the expense of the other instruments, Thompson tells Ultimate-Guitar.com.

“We had to get the drum sound up the way he had it,” Thompson says. “I wasn’t a fan of it. So now he goes, ‘See the bass guitar?’ and I said, ‘Yeah, great part, man. He killed it.’ He said, ‘I want you to bring down the bass where you can barely, audibly hear it in the mix.’ I said, ‘You’re kidding. Right?’ He said, ‘No. Bring it down.’ I bring it down to that level and he says, ‘Now drop it down another 5 dB.’ I turned around and looked at [Metallica guitarist James] Hetfield and said, ‘He’s serious?’ It just blew me away.”

The shame of it, according to Thompson, was that former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted had put the performance of lifetime to tape. “My only regret is that we didn’t have enough time to at least mix it the way we heard it,” he says. “I wanted to take Master Of Puppets and blow that away. That was my sonic direction for … And Justice For All. It was all there but I think they were looking for more garagey-type sound without bass. And the bass was great; it was perfect.”

Thompson says he’s speaking out after years of withering comments, including – ironically enough – from Ulrich himself.

Fast forward to 2009, and Steve Thompson was on hand for Metallica’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. “They flew us out and I’m sitting with Lars,” Thompson recalled. “He goes, ‘Hey, what happened to the bass in … Justice?’ He actually asked me that. I wanted to cold cock him right there. It was a shame because I’m the one getting the s– for the lack of bass.”

Ringmaster 03-30-15 11:47 AM

I thought James had a hand in lowering the bass too? I get that those guys were grieving for Cliff but not having the bass on AJFA was the first big mistake of their careers.

Neil M. 03-30-15 12:40 PM

That contradicts comments made by Newsted and Hammett in the past.