Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

GRRR! The Rolling Stones announce greatest hits album 11/13/12

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's about time they do a greatest hits CD...
GRRR! THE ROLLING STONES ANNOUNCE GREATEST HITS ALBUM

The Rolling Stones, ABKCO Music & Records and Universal Music Group are pleased to announce the release of GRRR! by the Rolling Stones on the 12th November 2012 for the world, excluding North America, and on the 13th November 2012 in North America.

Available in five different formats, including a three-CD 50 track version including 50 tracks, and a four-CD super-deluxe version gathering a whopping 80 tracks, the collection tells the fascinating ongoing story of the Greatest Rock’n'Roll Band In The World, from their high octane version of Chuck Berry’s “Come On”, their first single issued in June 1963, via the thrilling chart-toppers “The Last Time”, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”, “Get Off Of My Cloud”, “Jumping Jack Flash”, “Honky Tonk Women” and the perennial juke-box and concert favourites “Brown Sugar”, “Tumbling Dice”, “Miss You” and “Start Me Up”, all the way to the present day with the inclusion of “Doom And Gloom” and “One More Shot”, two new studio recordings recently completed by the group in Paris, France in August 2012.

These brand new recordings constitute the first time Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood have all been together in the recording studio since completing the exalted A Bigger Bang album in 2005, and follow on from the critically-acclaimed expanded re-releases of the historic 40th Anniversary live Madison Square Garden concert Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out in November 2009, and of two of their seventies masterworks, Exile on Main St., in May 2010, and Some Girls, in November 2011.

All GRRR! formats will feature a striking painting by award-winning American artist Walton Ford, who has created the latest in a long line of iconic artwork that has always been part of the band’s DNA.

In celebration of the Rolling Stones’ incredible journey, an innovative campaign has been launched to reveal their GRRR! Greatest Hits album sleeve using 3D Augmented Reality.

During a three week teaser campaign fans were invited to download the free uView app in preparation for the announcement. From today, using the uView app fans can scan the GRRR! sleeve and watch the stunning imagery come to life in 3D animation right before their eyes. The campaign will have further exciting updates coming soon. The use of one of the most advanced forms of mobile technology currently around solidifies The Rolling Stones as one of the most innovative bands in the world and as relevant as they have always been. The technology has been developed in partnership with Aurasma, the leaders in image recognition and augmented reality technology.

GRRR! GREATEST HITS FORMATS:

50 Track 3CD album (3CD / 50 tracks in a digipack with 24 page booklet)

50 Track 3CD Deluxe Edition (3CD / 50 tracks in a DVD size box with 36 page hardback book and 5 postcards)

Super Deluxe Edition Box Set (4CD / 80 tracks plus Bonus CD, 7″ Vinyl, Hardback book, Poster, 5 postcards in a presentation box)

12” Vinyl Box Set (5x 12″ Vinyl / 50 tracks in a casebound LP Box)
Old 10-12-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones announce greatest hits album 11/13/12

They have to keep up with KISS and Aerosmith.
Old 10-12-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Forty licks from a few years back pretty much fits the bill for a Stones hits set.
Old 10-12-12, 12:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't realize bands still did the whole record two new tracks to try and get people to buy a collection of songs they've owned for years at full price thing.
Old 10-12-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I didn't realize bands still did the whole record two new tracks to try and get people to buy a collection of songs they've owned for years at full price thing.
Really, it just encourages piracy.

There is a certain irony on including BRAND NEW tracks on "Greatest Hits" and "Best of" sets that sort of amuses me. They must be mighty confident in the quality of those two new songs.
Old 10-12-12, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

With 50 and 80 tracks, I wonder if they'll finally include "Cocksucker Blues."
Old 10-12-12, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
With 50 and 80 tracks, I wonder if they'll finally include "Cocksucker Blues."
No...the track listing is available on their website.
Old 10-12-12, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Forty licks from a few years back pretty much fits the bill for a Stones hits set.
If they had replaced that horrible new song and replaced it with Bitch, it would be pretty much complete.
Old 10-12-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even that feels like I have more Stones than I need.
Old 10-12-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Anyone else initially read "GRRR!" as the OP venting about this latest release?
Old 10-12-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bigjim25
a three-cd 50 track version including 50 tracks
Old 10-12-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And wow...just clicked over to the web site...maybe a new entry for the worst album covers thread.
Old 10-12-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

At this point, I believe the Stones have more greatest hits compilations than actual albums. That big 80 track set is $170. Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy their entire catalog?
Old 10-12-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,203 Likes on 4,230 Posts

If anyone is really in the market for hearing the same Rolling Stones songs over and over, may I recommend the four exclusive "Bootleg" live albums available on Google Play for $4.99 each? Each album is like three hours long and sounds pretty great, considering the source material. They're live shows from L.A. Forum (1975), Brussels (1978), Hampton Coliseum (1981), and Tokyo (1990). They all have one free track to sample as well. Good stuff.

Last edited by Decker; 10-12-12 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-12-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

This.
Old 10-12-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It never ends

Rolling Stones Fans

The Rolling Stones
Old 10-15-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

They announced the dates for their 50th anniversary concerts today:

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/roll...tiazMpHW7DVsQM
Old 10-15-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yawn. Don't see how anyone could be excited about 4 gigs that only rich and connected people are going to have a real shot at getting tickets for. Tickets are going for $100-$800 a piece and will probably mostly be gone by the time they're open to "the public" anyway. Really a lame way to finish up a career.
Old 10-15-12, 05:47 PM

I remember missing the Bigger Bang tour in '07 and thinking "l'll catch em next time." Turns out its five years later and there hasn't been a next time till now. Kind of bummed that its only 2 shows in the US, which means pretty much zero chance of reasonably priced tix, if any at all. A longer club/smaller venue tour would be awesome, but I suppose that's not their style anymore. Sorry, but I'm not forking out $500 bucks a ticket to what essentially amounts to a nostalgia act at this point, even if it is the Stones.

Also curious as to whether Mick Taylor was invited to play. I mean, in essence, the band really hasn't been the Stones since he left. He had a huge hand in their most productive and creative period (Beggars - Goats Head Soup). Ron Wood really isn't even in the same league, in my humble opinion, of course.
Old 10-15-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar
Yawn. Don't see how anyone could be excited about 4 gigs that only rich and connected people are going to have a real shot at getting tickets for. Tickets are going for $100-$800 a piece and will probably mostly be gone by the time they're open to "the public" anyway. Really a lame way to finish up a career.
I'm guessing $95 plus fees is for last row nosebleed seats and behind the stage, while $750(!) plus fees is for everything else. Nothing in the middle, it's all or nothing.

Fuck that.
Old 10-15-12, 06:49 PM

The prices for the London gigs are also outrageous.
I paid 125 pounds for a one-off show of Led Zeppelin, no way I'm going to pay more than that for a band that is going to tour alot more the coming year.
Old 10-15-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Guess we would have to wait for the inevitable blu-ray release next year, unless they stream the concerts(for a fee,of course).

By the way, here is a youtube link to their latest single, Doom & Gloom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rPFGWVKXxm0
Old 10-15-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bacigalup
Guess we would have to wait for the inevitable blu-ray release next year, unless they stream the concerts(for a fee,of course).

By the way, here is a youtube link to their latest single, Doom & Gloom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rPFGWVKXxm0
Sounds like they're ripping off all those "The" bands who have been ripping them off recently.
Old 10-15-12, 09:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmu878
I remember missing the Bigger Bang tour in '07 and thinking "l'll catch em next time." Turns out its five years later and there hasn't been a next time till now. Kind of bummed that its only 2 shows in the US, which means pretty much zero chance of reasonably priced tix, if any at all. A longer club/smaller venue tour would be awesome, but I suppose that's not their style anymore. Sorry, but I'm not forking out $500 bucks a ticket to what essentially amounts to a nostalgia act at this point, even if it is the Stones.
I paid $250 per ticket to see The Stones on the Bigger Bang tour for seats midway up in a stadium. That is easily the most I've paid to sit so far back (I've paid more per ticket for Bowie, but those were for the pit). However, I can say with certainty that at no point did it feel like a nostalgia act. It was an amazing, amazing show. Metallica opened for them and The Stones completely knocked them out of the park.

Originally Posted by jmu878
Also curious as to whether Mick Taylor was invited to play. I mean, in essence, the band really hasn't been the Stones since he left. He had a huge hand in their most productive and creative period (Beggars - Goats Head Soup). Ron Wood really isn't even in the same league, in my humble opinion, of course.
Black and Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo You all disagree with you. Taylor is a great, great guitar player, but he's not the thing that defines The Stones.
Old 10-15-12, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I paid $250 per ticket to see The Stones on the Bigger Bang tour for seats midway up in a stadium. That is easily the most I've paid to sit so far back (I've paid more per ticket for Bowie, but those were for the pit). However, I can say with certainty that at no point did it feel like a nostalgia act. It was an amazing, amazing show. Metallica opened for them and The Stones completely knocked them out of the park.

Black and Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo You all disagree with you. Taylor is a great, great guitar player, but he's not the thing that defines The Stones.
I love the Stones, a lot, and have no doubt they put on a hell of a show, still. However, this "tour" seems like a rather dick move and slap in the face on their part. Most fans are going to be left out in the cold, due to not only the number of tix available, but also the hefty prices involved. $750??? Really? Eff you Jager. They should rather be going all out or not do anything at all.

As far as being a nostalgia act, I would say any band coming out to just celebrate a number without any new solid material is what defines a nostalgia act. Again, I'm sure its a fun time, but them saying come pay big bucks to hear our greatest hits collection just confirms my point.

Lastly, yeah, I have and thoroughly enjoy all the albums you mentioned, but they're second tier Stones albums. The Mick Taylor era contains the gems that define the Stones (not that he was singly responsible for them). The glitter twins are obviously the center of the band, but they didn't produce anything near the level they were when working with Taylor after he left. I'm just bummed he's not being included.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.