Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

GRRR! The Rolling Stones announce greatest hits album 11/13/12

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

GRRR! The Rolling Stones announce greatest hits album 11/13/12

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: GRRR! The Rolling Stones announce greatest hits album 11/13/12

Originally Posted by Decker
well, the best answer is that the Stones charge what they do because they can.
Exactly. I have seen the Stones a few times before so if the price for a good seat/value is too much for ME I will just pass. Pretty simple as it's not a right for me to see them and they do not owe me anything.

And if they do a full tour and they find that it will be very difficult to sell at these prices then they will come down. Time will tell.
Old 11-14-12, 11:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I predict that if The Stones did a full tour, at the prices they charge, they'll have no problem selling out.
Old 11-15-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll leave this tour for the die hards and the "I need to see the Stones before they die" crowd. Saw them once in 1981. They played the hits. That's plenty for one lifetime.
Old 11-15-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This will be the first tour I probably won't see them since 1975 Tour of the Americas. I just wish I could have seen them with Mick Taylor.
Old 11-15-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I never cared for The Rolling Stones. But I thought Mick was really cool on SNL last year. I was surprised that he was so hip and funny.
Old 11-20-12, 07:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The video for "Doom and Gloom" is up on youtube. I won't link to it because it has nudity. The song is alright, nothing special.
Old 11-20-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Doom and Gloom really did nothing for me. Very blah.

The video felt like it was made for people with ADD. I don't think there was a shot that stuck for more than 1 second.
Old 11-22-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Doom and Gloom really did nothing for me. Very blah.

The video felt like it was made for people with ADD. I don't think there was a shot that stuck for more than 1 second.
It follows the pattern of just about all latter day Stones. A non descript riff that's a pale ripoff of their old riffs, unmemorable verses and a chorus that's slightly memorable.
Old 02-11-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, here's something that may get me to bite. A release on Blu Ray audio:

This High Fidelity Pure Audio release contains all 50 tracks on one high capacity Blu-ray disc. The material is taken from original 24-bit master tapes and delivered in PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS audio formats — so you can enjoy the music in its purest form.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/88...words=NL021113
Old 03-06-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Well, here's something that may get me to bite. A release on Blu Ray audio:

This High Fidelity Pure Audio release contains all 50 tracks on one high capacity Blu-ray disc. The material is taken from original 24-bit master tapes and delivered in PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS audio formats — so you can enjoy the music in its purest form.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/88...words=NL021113
I picked up this release from Amazon UK, it was very reasonably priced and sounds great
Old 05-12-13, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

Well, I'm bumping this thread because they did decide to go ahead and launch a small US Tour which started last week.

They came to Vegas tonight. I was going to pass because I've seen them three times previously (in the late 80s, the late 90s and the mid-aughts), and because the tickets were so expensive. But the ticket gods were smiling upon me today -- I checked on Stub Hub (my wife and daughter are out of town this weekend, and I had nothing else to do), and I found a listing for a single ticket, 4th row risers, center stage, face value $780 for $250 + Stub Hub fees. It was too good a deal to pass up.
I've never seen them up close before. They were great. Really. I was surprised too. I know the old joke is that they're way too old to be rockers; that joke was stale when I saw Carson tell it 25 years ago. They have no business putting on anything but a nostalgia act, but damn if they didn't pull it off. Yeah, they look old, but Mick still rocks and moves like nobody else. He's got amazing energy. This show was uncharacteristically low on spectacle for a Rolling Stones show, but that's probably due to the very short lead-up time for this tour -- I think it was announced less than two months ago. No giant inflatables. pyrotechnics or telescoping mechanical bridges this time. Just a really well-put together show -- very few obscure tracks in the 2:15 show, lots of hits. One cool thing : They have a social media live vote for one song from a list of five or six. Unsurprisingly, Beast of Burden won (it's by far the best-know of the selections), but what was a huge surprise was that mid-song, unannounced, Katy Perry strolled out and joined Mick for a duet. Good Lord that girl's attractive -- one of the only times I glanced up at the jumbotron for a better look of the performers. I had thought that Gerard Depardieu Mick Taylor was playing with the band for the whole show, but he just had a cameo guest appearance as well -- he just killed it on guitar for Midnight Rambler (it'll be the must-see highlight of the inevitable Blu Ray release of this tour). He returned for Satisfaction, but that's it unfortunately. Not a lot of on-stage banter by Mick and the boys either; they just kept on playing. I was a little surprised that Doom & Gloom, a song I pretty much loathed on the radio, works very well live -- it'd be hard to tell it wasn't one of their usual standard numbers, if not for the huge stampede of concert-goers towards the restrooms when they started playing it.

I brought my little pocket camera and took a couple of pretty good pictures. I'll post them here tomorrow if I can.

Last edited by Decker; 05-12-13 at 02:49 AM.