Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Carly Rae Jepsen Call Me Maybe and her career

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Carly Rae Jepsen Call Me Maybe and her career

Old 10-09-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Carly Rae Jepsen Call Me Maybe and her career

I read the thread title too fast and was hoping it read "Carly Rae Jepsen maybe calls it a career".
Old 10-09-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I read the thread title too fast and was hoping it read "Carly Rae Jepsen maybe calls it a career".
We should only be so lucky.
Old 10-09-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe - Tay Zonday

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5sruQJ12PsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-09-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think shes anywhere near as terrible as Owl City.

Autotune is the devil!
Old 10-10-12, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Tay zonday version is beautiful.
Old 10-11-12, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Puppets like Carly Rae Jepsen, Katy Perry and Rihanna may reign the charts for quite some time, but they'll be forgotten soon after.
People either develop actual musical taste, like a child that says candy is it's favorite food to an adult that notes a proper meal.
Or people get stuck in that fase of never developing and swallow every bit of garbage the media and radio forces them to listen to. These outlets go with the next young and hot (or 'in') thing.
Old 10-11-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...so you're saying it's a "fase" they'll grow out of...
Old 10-11-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

There's no reason to 'grow out' of music.

Being entertained for 3 minutes is just that... being entertained for 3 minutes.
Old 10-12-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

But Katy Perry broke out in 2008 and is still going strong and Rihanna a little earlier and her career is not slowing down yet and they might last for a while.

I bet people probably said the same about Madonna or maybe Beyonce when they first started out.
Old 10-12-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least Madonna kept evolving musically. IMO that's why she's still making tons of money live years after her prime - her back catalog has more variety to it. I'm sure KP will just churn out the same sounding album over and over. Her songs might still be on someone's nostalgia playlist 20 years from now, but no way she's still pulling in the kind tour money then that she is now.
Old 10-12-12, 06:37 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Britney Spears has been putting out albums for 14 years, and is still selling millions of albums with big hits. Katy Perry could very well do the same, and she can actually sing. Don't know about Carly Rae Jepsen though
Old 10-13-12, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am by no means a fan of her music but she finished top 3 in an actual national singing competition so the comparisions to people who might sound like william hung without autotune like Rebecca Black,Britney Spears,Katy Perry,Rhianna etc are kind of unfair. She was floundering as a singer-songwriter trying to make a cross btwn folk and pop-records so she decided to get producers who would make her music more radio friendly.
Old 10-13-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD
Britney Spears has been putting out albums for 14 years, and is still selling millions of albums with big hits. Katy Perry could very well do the same, and she can actually sing. Don't know about Carly Rae Jepsen though
at the bolded.

Is she really still selling millions of albums in this age of piracy? Maybe millions of singles. I still say there's no way she'll command the kind of ticket money Madonna has been able to command almost 30 years into her career.
Old 10-13-12, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Howie2000
I am by no means a fan of her music but she finished top 3 in an actual national singing competition so the comparisions to people who might sound like william hung without autotune like Rebecca Black,Britney Spears,Katy Perry,Rhianna etc are kind of unfair. She was floundering as a singer-songwriter trying to make a cross btwn folk and pop-records so she decided to get producers who would make her music more radio friendly.
if that is the case, once her poppy time is up, i look forward to her returning to her original style. I like singer-songwriter stuff more than i do top 40, and should probably find her Canadian idol stuff to see what she used to sound like.
Old 10-14-12, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
at the bolded.

Is she really still selling millions of albums in this age of piracy? Maybe millions of singles. I still say there's no way she'll command the kind of ticket money Madonna has been able to command almost 30 years into her career.
It's wikipedia, and there's no source linked, but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage...Perry_album%29

In the United States, Teenage Dream debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, selling 192,000 copies in its first week. It was later certified two times platinum by the RIAA; selling more than 2 million copies in the United States. The album has sold more than 5.5 million copies worldwide.
Old 01-31-14, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Already not a one-hit wonder since her duet with Owl Cty, Good Time, is a hit.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H7HmzwI67ec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
and now Carly Rae & Owl City have to pay 800 grand because it copied another song
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...010-track.html
A court has ordered Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City to pay more than $800,000 in damages for copyright infringement relating to their hit track Good Time.
Singer Allyson 'Ally' Burnett filed a lawsuit against Jepsen and Owl City's Adam Young, along with several publishing companies, in October 2012, citing the blatant use of her 'unique vocal motif'.
The Alabama-based songstress, who most notably co-wrote and sung the theme tune for MTV series The Seven, argued that the pair borrowed her 'catchy pop vibe that both draws people in and sticks in people's heads' directly from her 2010 release Ah, It's A Love Song.

As TMZ exclusively reports, the judge ruled in Burnett's favour on Thursday, ordering BMI - the company that collects the royalties from the top 10 song - to cough up $804,156 in compensation to the defendant.
While it's immediately apparent from comparing the two songs side by side that the only similarity they share is the warbling of 'Oh oh oh oh oh', the complaint stated that the defendants' 'extensive access to Love Song is sufficient to trigger the "inverse ration rule"'.
The rule in question only requires a 'reduced standard of proof of substantial similarity when a high degree of access is shown'.

original song
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8uySNTFJMec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-31-14, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
and now Carly Rae & Owl City have to pay 800 grand because it copied another song
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...010-track.html
A court has ordered Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City to pay more than $800,000 in damages for copyright infringement relating to their hit track Good Time.
Singer Allyson 'Ally' Burnett filed a lawsuit against Jepsen and Owl City's Adam Young, along with several publishing companies, in October 2012, citing the blatant use of her 'unique vocal motif'.
The Alabama-based songstress, who most notably co-wrote and sung the theme tune for MTV series The Seven, argued that the pair borrowed her 'catchy pop vibe that both draws people in and sticks in people's heads' directly from her 2010 release Ah, It's A Love Song.

As TMZ exclusively reports, the judge ruled in Burnett's favour on Thursday, ordering BMI - the company that collects the royalties from the top 10 song - to cough up $804,156 in compensation to the defendant.
While it's immediately apparent from comparing the two songs side by side that the only similarity they share is the warbling of 'Oh oh oh oh oh', the complaint stated that the defendants' 'extensive access to Love Song is sufficient to trigger the "inverse ration rule"'.
The rule in question only requires a 'reduced standard of proof of substantial similarity when a high degree of access is shown'.

original song
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8uySNTFJMec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
She should have gotten Alicia Florrick as her attorney. Ms. Florrick has experience defending parody videos and intellectual copyright cases based on varying degrees of "oooh ooooh oooh" versus "Ahhh Ahhh OOOH".
Old 02-01-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I think she meant to say "generic pop blandness that has been around longer than 4 years".

I would have compared the songs, but Owl City.
Old 02-01-14, 08:23 PM

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...en-cinderella/

New Role for Carly Rae Jepsen: Cinderella

"...Ms. Jepsen will step into the glass slippers beginning Feb. 4 for a 12-week run, joining the previously announced Fran Drescher, who will also make her debut on that date and has been cast as the cruel stepmother. Ms. Jepsen is to replace Laura Osnes, who will complete her yearlong run in January..."

(In the interest of disclosure, i preferred Ke$ha's tour de force performance in Pipp!n )
Old 02-01-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

You can win lawsuits based on ooohs and aaahs? What a great country we live in that you can cash in on sounds.
Old 02-01-14, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,028 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Yeah, it's a similar sound, but that hardly makes it copyright infringement more than two artists who sing "Oooh Baby, baby" do. She must have had a crappy attorney.
Old 02-02-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, it's a similar sound, but that hardly makes it copyright infringement more than two artists who sing "Oooh Baby, baby" do. She must have had a crappy attorney.
Depending on how you sing it, Salt And Pepa might have a case.
Old 02-03-14, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

it never came to be but there was a rumor that Def Leppard was going to sue One Direction for one of their songs sounding like Pour some sugar on me
Old 02-05-14, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One Direction made a stripper song?

I'm forever going to associate that Def Leppard song with the worst wedding DJ ever, and an older couple dancing 1950's style, to that song. On top of that, I think it's the quintessential strip club song.

There is a good reason never listen to that song...ever.
Old 02-05-14, 07:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...en-cinderella/

New Role for Carly Rae Jepsen: Cinderella

"...Ms. Jepsen will step into the glass slippers beginning Feb. 4 for a 12-week run, joining the previously announced Fran Drescher, who will also make her debut on that date and has been cast as the cruel stepmother. Ms. Jepsen is to replace Laura Osnes, who will complete her yearlong run in January..."

(In the interest of disclosure, i preferred Ke$ha's tour de force performance in Pipp!n )

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.