Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Craziest price you have ever seen for a record

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Craziest price you have ever seen for a record

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 12:52 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Craziest price you have ever seen for a record

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Yep. You don't see a lot of Glenn Miller fans who weren't around in his day. You see people born 20 years after The Beatles broke up who love their music. They are going to be for music what something like Citizen Kane or The Wizard Of Oz are for cinema, still being discovered and loved by generations who were born long after the stars of those movies had died. Look at how many people who love I Love Lucy who weren't even born yet when Lucille Ball died. The Beatles transcend generations. Its true that those who were around in the 60s stake claim to "owning" them, but the great thing is that their music was so great that 20 year olds can discover them and love them as well. Most of the people I know who have been buying the vinyl reissues are people who never had the chance to go to a store and buy a new vinyl copy of Rubber Soul because records had been phased out of the mainstream as long as they'd been alive.

That said, I'm 33, had just celebrated my first birthday a few days before Lennon's murder, and the only recollection I have of any of the solo Beatles having any big hits was George Harrison's renaissance when I was about 8-9 as even Macca's big hits had come to an end around 1984-1985... yet The Beatles are one of my fave groups. I didn't like them much as a kid and only knew of their image, but once I cracked into their albums as I got older, I understood the hype. I know plenty of die-hard Beatle fans who are younger than me and have no recollection of Lennon being alive or Paul McCartney being anything more than that lovable old uncle type.
I'm 34 and I feel exactly the same way that you do about their music, but while what you say is true it doesn't neccessarily mean that the collectors market for their rarer albums or other collectibles will be sustained. Yes I think their music will continue to be rediscovered and enjoyed by subsequent generations, but I don't think there will be as many avoricious "beatlemaniacs".
Old 01-06-13, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Wow, do you play the record on your turntable or just keep it cherry? Is it a British or U.S. pressing? Mono or stereo? Im fascinated when someone spends that kind of money on a piece of music.
I played it once at put it back in its sleeve its a mono British Pressing
Old 01-06-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Was it autographed ? Because if not, you were extremely ripped off.
No it was just a first pressing in mint condition, I spend lots of money on old vinyl like this, usually nowhere near as much but sometimes it gets close. Hopefully when I get older they will retain their value, if not by the time im 30 im going to be so mad but I buy them to collect and listen to, I usually have 2 copys of my vinyl one to listen to and one to keep safe