Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kendrick Lamar -- discussion thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Kendrick Lamar -- discussion thread

Old 10-18-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
re: Kendrick Lamar -- discussion thread

Originally Posted by Daryl
good lookin' out - I'll stop by Target Monday morning after I drop my son off at school.

Apparently, the deluxe version gets these three tracks from the list above:
13. The Recipe feat. Dr. Dre [Bonus Track]
14. Black Boy Fly [Bonus Track]
15. Now or Never feat. Mary J. Blige [Bonus Track]

While the Target version adds the final two bonus tracks listed (including the regular version of Swimming Pools):
16. Collect Calls [Bonus Track]
17. Swimming Pools (Drank) [Bonus Track]

I was sort of bitching about most places wanting $14.99 just for the Deluxe Version's three extra tracks - including forcing people to buy that version if they want The Recipe - but for $11.99 at Target plus two more tracks, I can't complain.

Also, as a huge fan of Compton's Most Wanted back in the day, I'm lovin the MC Eiht track (along with "Money Trees")
Sweet gotta get to Target early then. Last night I was like fuck I-Tunes and their bonus tracks and now Target will have them
Old 10-19-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God I fuckin' love this album
Old 10-19-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay
God I fuckin' love this album
How nice is it to have a record that you can play from start to finish? Just doesn't happen these days.

Even the bonus tracks are great. Substitute "The Recipe" into the 3 hole for that awful freestyle, and you pretty much have a nearly perfect album.
Old 10-22-12, 05:32 AM

Good Kid, M.A.A.D City officially dropped today in stores.

This is gonna be huge.
Old 10-22-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daryl
While the Target version adds the final two bonus tracks listed (including the regular version of Swimming Pools):
16. Collect Calls [Bonus Track]
17. Swimming Pools (Drank) [Bonus Track]
Update:
These are NOT the two additional Target tracks, so it appears that (as far as I know) those two bonus tracks are only available if you buy the deluxe version through iTunes (although I suppose you could always buy the regular edit of Swimming Pools from anywhere as a single).

The bonus Target tracks are:
County Building Blues
Swimming Pools (Black Hippy Remix)

My Target was, um, swift to put out the Taylor Swift album this morning, but they had to go to the back to get the Kendrick for me.
Old 10-22-12, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up my deluxe this AM at Target. Guy had to go in the back. They were NOT ready for Monday releases, not a single copy of anything out.
Old 10-22-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh boy here's my story... got to Target right before it opened [8am] and no CD and no one around the music section to ask. Another dude comes to look for CD also so he finds a worker but he's in the Video Game section and of course he doesn't have a clue. A female worker is walking by and I ask her can u please get someone to help at the music section. Then another dude comes looking for the Taylor Swift and no it's not out on the display either.

Finally Another female worker [which tried really hard to help through-out] came. She didn't know about the Monday release, so she does the Walkie-talkie thing and everyone is confused and/or doesn't know if or where are both [Kendrick & Taylor] cd's are. By this time another dude comes in looking for the Kendrick [so kendrick=3 Taylor=1]. She's (the worker) like fuck it and gets on of those scanner things from another worker and tries to see where the stock is at. She tries and tries but no luck and tells the dude that they don't have the Taylor Swift at all so he leaves. So I tell her "guess should I go to another Target to look for it" and she says "yeah sorry that'll probably the best thing to". As soon as I say that a worker comes out with 2 boxes!, One box has Taylor Swift deluxe and the other had Kendrick! but it's not the deluxe!!!

Now it's 825 or so I'm like fuck it I'm out and head to another Target... Get there and no CD out either so I go to the Electronics worker to ask, and I soon as I'm gonna ask her one of the dudes looking for the cd at the other Target was there also . She's like yeah I have them here a nice stack by the register [but they're not the regular versions]. I'm 'bout to shed a tear :: jk. We ask for the Deluxe Version and she's says "oh ok we have those also , just a minute" I ask for 2 copies and 1 for the other dude. YES! she comes back with a nice stack of them in hand ans she's like "You wanna pay for them here?" and I'm Like hell yeah!

The End

[Just finished listening to it once]

yeah also noticed that it's not the same 2 I-tunes bonus tracks.
Old 10-22-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Deluxe version is on Spotify:

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:1DqhWr73Fh5yoNzKLas0G3" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>
Old 10-22-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

iTunes Deluxe edition bonus tracks
16. "Collect Calls" 3:57
17. "Swimming Pools (Drank)" (Single version) 4:07

Target Deluxe edition bonus tracks
16. "County Building Blues" 4:18
17. "Swimming Pools (Black Hippy Remix)" (featuring Black Hippy) 5:14

Spotify Deluxe edition bonus tracks

16. "The Recipe (Black Hippy Remix)" (featuring Black Hippy) 4:23
Old 10-22-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kendrick Lamar: The Story Behind 'good kid, m.A.A.d city'

http://www.billboard.com/news#/featu...07987172.story
Old 10-23-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

FYI: You can purchase Collect Calls separately for $1.29 on iTunes, it's not album exclusive. I did that and made my own uber Deluxe Edition.
Old 10-23-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to HitsDailyDouble, Kendrick Lamar is having a big first week, with his album now looking like it will break 200k.
Old 10-23-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="640" height="465" src="http://teamcoco.com/embed/v/42122" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-24-12, 12:33 AM

All,

How are the bonus tracks from I-Tunes and Target?
Old 10-24-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
FYI: You can purchase Collect Calls separately for $1.29 on iTunes, it's not album exclusive. I did that and made my own uber Deluxe Edition.
Ha, I did the same. I'm glad they allowed that for individual purchase. I also added the Spotify exclusive mix of "The Recipe" and "Westside, Right On Time" with Jeezy
Old 10-24-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bootsy
Yeah it almost ruins the song. Especially on The Art of Peer Pressure. He was on a good flow and then the skit comes at the end. Really unnecessary.
Yep. After you hear them once, you never need to hear them again. That's where iTunes comes in handy - you can tell it when to start and stop the track so you never have to hear skits again.
Old 10-24-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fuck this album is amazing, loving it. Put in THE RECIPE [which should have been on the album anyway] & NOW OR NEVER [from the bonus disc] and take off POETIC JUSTICE & REAL and you have a perfect album. I actually like the skits, they go well with the stories he's telling. Other than the 3 singles which I love, THE ART OF PEER PRESSURE, GOOD KID & m.A.A.d. City are fucking insane.

And too think that I was upset a while ago 'cause DRE had no beats on it, he wasn't needed... this time. I can only imagine how Kendrick's next album [hopefully Dre producing] will sound like.
Old 10-30-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tweet
A week after releasing his much-beloved good kid, m.A.A.d. city , he’s got a new song The Jig Is Up (Dump’n), produced by J. Cole & Canei Finch, that’s a victory lap of sorts. “This week is up… Yall did it… Appreciation day is TODAY!

@KendrickLamar #GKMC sells 242k first week!

AFTERMATHMUSIC.com

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8G0w3N-k91E?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-02-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I listened to this a few times before my iPod ran out of juice. I think it's a pretty good album, but definitely not as great as many are making it out to be.
Old 11-09-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lady Gaga's Kendrick Lamar Collaboration Debuts Online: Listen

In anticipation of Kendrick Lamar's major label debut, "good kid, m.A.A.d city," Lady Gaga announced via Twitter in August that she was collaborating with the MC on the album. The duo's work didn't make it onto the final cut, but on Wednesday (Nov. 7), two weeks after the album's release, Gaga released a portion of the material herself.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/53053348?autoplay=1" width="398" height="224" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

The diva tweeted an unreleased version of "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe," the second song on the album, that features her vocals on the hook instead of Lamar's. The duo also collaborated on another song, "Partynauseous," which has not yet been leaked. Gaga's guest appearance adds a smoother pop feel to "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe," which overpowers the introspective tone of the track. On the album, Lamar raps the same lines about striving to be different alone.

Last month, Lamar and Gaga separately explained to fans why their collaborative songs did not make the final cut of "good kid, m.A.A.d city." "Me and Lady Gaga, we really good friends," the rapper told Power 105.1's The Breakfast Club. "She's not on the album. We got some records, but when I was breaking down the bulk of the album, the ones we picked, we set them aside for future reference."

Gaga told fans that she "loves Kendrick dearly as a friend," but that she's "not willing to compromise musically to the changes his team was making to my music."

http://www.billboard.com/news#/news/...08008682.story
Old 11-09-12, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Lady Gaga's Kendrick Lamar Collaboration Debuts Online: Listen

In anticipation of Kendrick Lamar's major label debut, "good kid, m.A.A.d city," Lady Gaga announced via Twitter in August that she was collaborating with the MC on the album. The duo's work didn't make it onto the final cut, but on Wednesday (Nov. 7), two weeks after the album's release, Gaga released a portion of the material herself.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/53053348?autoplay=1" width="398" height="224" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

The diva tweeted an unreleased version of "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe," the second song on the album, that features her vocals on the hook instead of Lamar's. The duo also collaborated on another song, "Partynauseous," which has not yet been leaked. Gaga's guest appearance adds a smoother pop feel to "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe," which overpowers the introspective tone of the track. On the album, Lamar raps the same lines about striving to be different alone.

Last month, Lamar and Gaga separately explained to fans why their collaborative songs did not make the final cut of "good kid, m.A.A.d city." "Me and Lady Gaga, we really good friends," the rapper told Power 105.1's The Breakfast Club. "She's not on the album. We got some records, but when I was breaking down the bulk of the album, the ones we picked, we set them aside for future reference."

Gaga told fans that she "loves Kendrick dearly as a friend," but that she's "not willing to compromise musically to the changes his team was making to my music."

http://www.billboard.com/news#/news/...08008682.story

Kendrick Lamar is an idiot for not keeping the Gaga version of "Bitch, Don't Killing My Vibe" and not releasing it as a single.

Those 10 of millions of GaGa fans would buy that shit no matter what.
Old 11-09-12, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And the crazy shit is that I've never heard a Gaga song or want to but I like her singing the hook.
Old 11-09-12, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
And the crazy shit is that I've never heard a Gaga song or want to but I like her singing the hook.
I don't care for her persona or music overall, but I've heard her sing live and she has a really good voice.
Old 11-09-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've listened to this album a couple of times now and I can't decide it's meant to be a satire. I have to say, it's not doing much for me.
Old 11-14-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got no problem with Lady Gaga and like her voice, but the version with her singing is borderline awful. Glad (for whatever reason) it got dumped. Unfortunately, I've caught them playing it on Sirius a couple of times.

Every time I listen to this album I think of that old LL line: "the design of this rhyme is a masterpiece".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.