Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: How do you buy your music
Physical CD
44.44%
Digital MP3
7.41%
Combination of CDs and MP3s
30.86%
Vinly
19.75%
I prefer to listen on Pandora and Spotify
4.94%
What does buy mean?
12.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

How do you buy your music?

Old 08-01-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How do you buy your music?

CD unless Amazon.com has a really good sale price (less than $5) on something I'm on the fence about.

Hey, why no option for analog MP3?
Old 08-01-12, 07:50 PM

Because I know the number of people that still buy cassettes is astoundingly low
Old 08-01-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

After Frostwire tanked, I now get my songs for "free" from Amazon using giftcards from surveys I do.

Once in a while I'll actually buy a CD - but it has to be under a couple bucks.
Old 08-01-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started off with amazon and though it was great...........until I cleared my cache 8 times on my machine at work and they then "blocked" my browser because each time you clear your cache...it's considered a new device and you are only allowed 8 devices maximum. Don't believe me? Go ahead and try it.

I downloaded all my music off their site (after I bitched about it they allowed it as a device again) then went over to Zune....hey at least with Zune some of the files are 320 kbps and they let you know right up front that you only get to download a song one time and that's it.
Old 08-01-12, 10:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

The majority of my listening happens on Spotify. I stream at 320kbps most of the time, but if I know I'm not going to have data access (wifi or 3G), I'll download a few playlists so I have something to listen to. It's practically like owning the music at that point. I accept that it's a "subscription" and some stuff will come and go. It's a fair trade-off, IMO.

I don't pay to download MP3s from Amazon, iTunes, etc. Just not worth it to me.

I WILL buy CDs and/or Vinyl if it's a band I really love (or fall in love with because of Spotify) and/or if it's some kind of "special" edition. I may have only bought a handful of physical albums this year, but one of them was $300. Still, even those albums... I'll listen to on Spotify instead of the actual record/CD, since I mostly listen to music on my way to/from and AT work. At home, I'll throw the CD/Vinyl on if I have it.

I'll go to shows when bands I like are in town. Unfortunately, that's still a rarity for me, since the bands I tend to gravitate towards can't exactly afford to tour out here. In those cases, though, I'm usually buying their music or t-shirts to support them already.
Old 08-01-12, 10:38 PM
Suspended

uh buy music? I always burn albums from friends that have stuff I want but usually I can find stuff online. The only physical albums I buy are vinyl for my turntable.
Old 08-01-12, 10:49 PM

it's odd, in order for me to get and hear the 5.1 mix of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars: "The Rise and Fall of..." I had to purchase the vinyl, since the DVD was a supplement disc.
Old 08-02-12, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HollywoodLights View Post
Do you just do the front cover for the slim jewel cases or do you get full sized cases and do front/ back cover
I use slim cases. If there is a good back cover image I print it out re-sized to front cover dimensions and use it as inside front cover.
Old 08-02-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had 3 computers go bad over the last decade. I lost access to those audio files (all ripped from CD's). If I had paid for those audio files I'd be pissed.

I've only paid for one song download, the rest of my music comes from buying CD's. Better sound quality and I can still rip MP3's if I want portable music.
Old 08-02-12, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought my first bit of music on December 19, 1983 when I happened to have about $15 extra after a date. I remember paying about $13 for a cassette. That's $32 in 2012 dollars. From this point forward I purchased hundreds of records, cassettes and then CDs. I remember buying Billy Joels Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2 for $35 in 1990 the day I bought my first CD player. That's $62 in 2012 dollars.

When I stopped buying CDs in 2004, I had amassed a collection of more than 600 CDs. History has shown us that the while the cost of producing CDs was certainly higher at the beginning of its life cycle in the mid to late 80s, the price to produce a CD dropped dramatically. Of course music companies didn't drop the price of CDs as a result of cheaper production costs. Not at all.

My point is I don't feel sorry for the music indsutry. Not one damn bit. They've gotten all the money they're going to out of me at this point - which is thousands and thousands of dollars of course - but not one dime more.
Old 08-02-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I'm a paying Spotify subscriber but have yet to get in the habit of using it.

I mostly buy CDs but pick up a fair amount on iTunes as well (mostly if the CD is unavailable or considerably more expensive, or if I want/need instant gratification). Vinyl on 'special occasions'.
Old 08-02-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another one mostly buying from Amazon MP3 store. I'll buy physical if there is a surround mix or something.
Old 08-02-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
I started off with amazon and though it was great...........until I cleared my cache 8 times on my machine at work and they then "blocked" my browser because each time you clear your cache...it's considered a new device and you are only allowed 8 devices maximum. Don't believe me? Go ahead and try it.

I downloaded all my music off their site (after I bitched about it they allowed it as a device again) then went over to Zune....hey at least with Zune some of the files are 320 kbps and they let you know right up front that you only get to download a song one time and that's it.
Why don't you just make copies of the files you downloaded from Amazon?
Old 08-02-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use Spotify for new stuff to see if I want to buy it.

I buy the CD only if I want some artwork/liner notes and feel that I "need" to own that CD. I recently bought the Beach Boys new release on CD mainly because I was hoping for some great "reunion" type liner notes and was gravely disappointed. Lyrics only. Ugh. I still wanted the CD since I own all their other stuff on CD but I don't see myself betting burned by this again. I am moving more and more toward MP3s which brings me to...

...I buy MP3s when they are super cheap at amazon or if the MP3 album is at least $3+ LESS than the CD.

I use Pandora just for shits and giggles when I want to discover new music that is similar to a group I like and I am finding that XM/Sirius are repeating themselves too often (which is sadly becoming more and more frequent).

I only buy Vinyl if it comes in a special boxset with a CD release that I want or the only way to get the music is to buy the record, burn it to CD, then burn it to MP3. But I usually never get around to even doing the first step and just occasionally listen to the record on the player when I want to hear it.

And by the way...I listen to ZERO terrestrial radio now. I can honestly say that I haven't listened to a local radio station in probably near 10 years. My mind is blown whenever I ride with someone and they are listening to a local radio station.
Old 08-02-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Why don't you just make copies of the files you downloaded from Amazon?
I did, that's not the point though. It's the fact that if you clear your cache...once you re-access amazon again it counts as a new device....so in short...clear your cache 8 times at home and you can no longer access your music from ANY other machine because you just used up all 8 devices you were allowed to access from.
Old 08-02-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I love a band, then I support them by purchasing their albums on CD.

Mostly, though, I just pirate all my music.
Old 08-02-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
If I love a band, then I support them by purchasing their albums on CD.

Mostly, though, I just pirate all my music.
I like the honesty.
Old 08-02-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've bought many, many CD's over the years. Nothing like having a hard copy...but after Media Play closing, and many places completely decreasing their selectiong of CD's, my purchases and dramatically decreased.

Recently I've started to delve into MP3s a lot more, only because Amazon has them for so dirt-cheap all of the time. Also, when they have codes for free MP3 money, that certainly helps.
Old 08-03-12, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Vinyl and Digital
Old 08-05-12, 09:16 PM
Cool New Member

I chose the CD and mp3 option but I also stream via Rhapsody.
Old 08-05-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd easily buy mp3s if the price was right (like 10 cents a song), but at 99 cents a song and you're just getting an inferior digital copy, it's not worth it at all.
Old 08-06-12, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
CD unless Amazon.com has a really good sale price (less than $5) on something I'm on the fence about.
Pretty much this. I prefer CDs but get sucked into a lot of those cheap MP3 deals. I still have a CD player in the car and no input jack so sometimes I burn my own CDs for use there, but have had quality/skipping problems.
Old 08-13-12, 03:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

A dinosaur writes...

Originally Posted by JAA View Post
I'm still an old school CD collector. Generally better audio quality, artwork, etc.
Me too.

I handed on all my old vinlys [] to my g/f's son a few months ago on moving house and receiving instructions to get rid of non-essentials. I've not had a deck for years, he had one and liked hard rock music so it seemed like the best option.

One day I may even "rip" my CDs and start listening on the move...
Old 08-13-12, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Usually CD or MP3 depending on what's cheaper or if theres a different track listing between the two formats. Certain bands I'll always buy the physical copy regardless. I buy vinly () releases of a handful of my favorite musicians, but that's mainly for collecting purposes since I don't have a record player that's worth a damn right now. I've been using spotify a lot recently, but that's pretty much to sample a record or band before deciding whether to buy or not.

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
I did, that's not the point though. It's the fact that if you clear your cache...once you re-access amazon again it counts as a new device....so in short...clear your cache 8 times at home and you can no longer access your music from ANY other machine because you just used up all 8 devices you were allowed to access from.
There's got to be more to it than that, because I regularly clear the cache on all three computers that my wife and I use to access our Amazon account, and have never had issues there. I've certainly done it more than 8 times and have had no issue.
Old 08-13-12, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atxbomber View Post
Usually CD or MP3 depending on what's cheaper or if theres a different track listing between the two formats..
What I do in this instance is buy the cd, download the tracks not on the cd, then combine it all onto a cd-r.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.