Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

You can now call him Snoop Lion! to release Reggae album in Fall

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-31-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want the Weed in Jamaica that Snoop was smoking

Snoop Dogg wants you to know that he's tired of hip-hop, is Bob Marley reincarnated and is embracing reggae instead of the culture of guns he once rapped about.
Also, he's got a new name: Snoop Lion.
The artist said at a news conference Monday in New York that he was "born again" during a visit to Jamaica in February and is ready to make music that his "kids and grandparents can listen to."
The former gangster rapper is releasing a reggae album called "Reincarnated" in the fall. He said that in Jamaica, he connected with Bob Marley's spirit and is now "Bob Marley reincarnated."
Bob Marley's son Rohan attended the conference and gave Snoop his blessing.
"I feel like I've always been Rastafarian," Snoop said of the spiritual Jamaican movement. While there, he said, he visited a temple, was renamed Snoop Lion and was also given the Ethiopian name Berhane, meaning "light of the world."
Snoop didn't explain why he was switching from "Dogg" to "Lion," but it's likely a reference to the Lion of Judah, a religious symbol popular in Rastafarian and Ethiopian culture.
Later, he played five songs for a small crowd, including one called "No Guns Allowed." It features his daughter and includes the lyrics, "No guns allowed in here tonight, we're going to have a free for all, no fights."
"It's so tragic that people are doing stupid things with guns," he said.

Snoop, best known for hits like "Gin and Juice" and "Drop It Like It's Hot," is an avid supporter of marijuana rights and has been banned from entering Norway for two years after trying to enter the country with a small amount last month.
He said that in Jamaica, where he stayed for 35 days, he grew closer to his wife, who saw his transition. He added that he's excited to perform music that his family and children can listen to.
"As a 40-year-old man ... I've got to give them something," he said. "That's what you do when you're wise."
Snoop Dogg said he's not completely retiring from hip-hop but is "tired" of the genre because it is no longer challenging.
"Reggae was calling ... it's a breath of fresh air," he said. "Rap isn't challenging; it's not appealing."
The album was produced by Diplo and will feature Snoop singing. It will be released on Vice Records.
The album will be followed with a documentary of the same name, also produced by Vice. It features Snoop making music and will include some personal elements of his life, a producer of the film said. It will debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.
A coffee table book about Snoop's rebirth is also in the works.
"It feels like I'm 19 or 20 years old again," he said.
Old 08-01-12, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 205 Posts
Re: You can now call him Snoop Lion! to release Reggae album in Fall

Old 08-01-12, 12:37 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5x__9qYCNMQ?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5x__9qYCNMQ?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

It's not the worst thing I've ever heard, but there's nothing really special about it either. That being said, mainstream hip hop has mostly been on autopilot for the past few years so I don't blame him for trying something different.
Old 08-03-12, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Snoop Dogg Talks About Dr. Dre’s Impression of Reggae Alter-Ego Snoop Lion

Dr. Dre produced some of Snoop Dogg’s biggest hits, including “What’s My Name?”, “Gin and Juice” and “Doggy Dogg World.” So, what did the super-producer legend think of Snoop’s recent transformation to reggae alter-ego Snoop Lion?

Dre didn’t understand any of it at first.

“He would see me come to rehearsals with all of my Rastafari, my gear, my hair, my look,” Snoop told MTV News of Dre’s impression of Snoop Lion. “He was just peeping me out, and I let him know I was doing a reggae project and working on the album and whatnot, but he didn’t really understand it until ‘La La La’ came out.”

“La La La” marks the lead single off Snoop’s upcoming reggae album, Reincarnated. Still, though, Dre was a bit baffled at his right-hand man and Long Beach, California collaborator’s direction.

Some of Dre’s bewilderment, however, may have been cleared when Snoop held a formal New York City press conference on Monday (July 30) to announce the transformation to Snoop Lion.

“Now he understands that I’m fully with it and I’m all in it to win it,” Snoop said. “So he gets it, and I got his support. He just didn’t understand it because I didn’t explain it to him. I wasn’t tryna keep it a secret; it just wasn’t time to unveil until now.” Reincarnated has production from Diplo and Major Lazer.

“The chemistry was amazing,” Diplo boasted during the press conference. “The music we wrote all together is some of the best I’ve ever been apart of.” (XXL)

AFTERMATHMUSIC.com
Old 08-03-12, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love reggae and don't care for rap, so I like this direction a lot better---still sounds kind of autotune/overproduced to me, though. Not bad.
Old 08-03-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If Diplo used all the same riddims as he has in other Lazer projects then this is a smart cash-in for him.
Old 08-04-12, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not into most rap music and never cared much for Snoop. I've listened to "La La La" six times now and love it. 60's/70's ska/reggae has always done it for me and I really like the production on this tune. Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 08-04-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'm not into most rap music and never cared much for Snoop. I've listened to "La La La" six times now and love it. 60's/70's ska/reggae has always done it for me and I really like the production on this tune. Looking forward to hearing more.
Might want to check out Diplo's other stuff. This is basically an existing instrumental that's been used in mixtapes and other albums that Snoop sang over.
Old 08-05-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I was ready to hate on it.I was a Snoop Dogg fan but it seemed like he got progressively worse after his first album and Tha Last Meal was the closest he got to recapturing the magic of his debut.

But yeah, it's a pretty cool song. I still think he's just doing this because he obviously can't compete with artists like Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, and Drake. But it doesn't matter because it's something different, and sounds much better than any of recent work, even his recent Dr. Dre collaborations.

Looking forward to the album.
Old 08-05-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I hate auto-tuned crap...