Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Old albums outselling new ones for first time ever

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old albums outselling new ones for first time ever

Old 07-24-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Re: Old albums outselling new ones for first time ever

Originally Posted by kd5
Yeh, you're probably right... -kd5-
FWIW I'm over 40 and if I strictly listened to testicular radio, I'd think new music stinks too. But there's so much great new stuff available that radio won't touch. Sometimes you have to dig for it but it's well worth the effort.
Old 07-24-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Probably the same people that still put ketchup on their hot dogs.
HEY!
Old 07-24-12, 07:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

People need to use Spotify to find good new music.
Old 07-24-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found quite a bit of new-ish stuff I like on Jango. I like the way they do things on that site.

How is Spotify superior for finding stuff?
Old 07-24-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if Spotify is superior to Jango or Mog or any other streaming services. But I do know, for my ten bucks a month, it's got a slick interface and a really great selection, especially with many of the integrated apps, shared/collaborative setlists, etc.
Old 07-24-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well the 'free' part of Jango wins the day then.

It has all the Facebook and Twitter stuff but I don't use it, and Jango has a 'social' aspect to the site itself where you can hop people's playlists(stations) from around the world and listen to their stations they have set up. I've found some stuff and bands I like doing that. It also plugs in to youtube so if you like an artist it's easy to explore more of their music right away with integrated Youtube videos in the Jango interface. They also have a lot of independent stuff on there.

May not be the best, but back when sites like Pandora and others were all streaming flash and it was mono, Jango started up with stereo MP3 so I went that way and have stayed there. Also makes it easy to grab a rare MP3.
Old 07-24-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can do Spotify free as well, but I also like having it streaming on my mobile devices and at a higher bit-rate. For what I'm getting, the $10 is really a pittance. The selection truly is amazing. I found some old albums of island music that I *never* thought I'd hear again.
Old 07-24-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The selection truly is amazing. I found some old albums of island music that I *never* thought I'd hear again.
Such as?
Old 07-24-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Such as?
Wilfred Soloman and the Magnetics, an obscure 70s Bahamian house band for a hotel resort. Its a great album (if youre into that style of island calypso meets r&b), I remember our family having the record on vinyl. Long since lost, I thought Id never hear it again until I found it on Spotify.

The Voyager Series of Calypso Passion is another one too. I think we had that one on 8-track...
Old 07-24-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 800 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
New music doesn't suck, but the radio sure as hell does.
+1
Radio is worse than ever, driven entirely by corporate playlists. Real music fans have abandoned it for other alternatives, leaving only the most brain-dead music left in the Top 40 or the occasional veteran musician with a surprise hit in it.

We are at the absolute nadir of quality Pop music since recorded music became a mass market product.
Old 07-24-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can thanks the 1996 Telecommunications Act for what's happened to radio.

It sealed the fate for radio in the US, and that was only one part of that nightmare.
Old 07-25-12, 12:13 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if Spotify is superior to Jango or Mog or any other streaming services. But I do know, for my ten bucks a month, it's got a slick interface and a really great selection, especially with many of the integrated apps, shared/collaborative setlists, etc.
Yeah, Spotify is easy to use and free (or cheap for the premium service). If you have a different streaming service you use, go for that. My point simply was if you're claiming that new music sucks, use a streaming service to find good new music.
Old 07-25-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People need to use Spotify to find good new music.
I've found some stuff on Spotify. In all honesty, I've found more new music that matches my tastes on turntable.fm

It's amazing how many people share similar tastes and can point you in the direction that matches what you're looking for. I've heard hundreds of songs in the last month that I've thoroughly enjoyed. This easily surpasses any way I've ever looked for new music in my life. I cannot believe how much playlists grow each day.
Old 07-25-12, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
I do really miss the artwork and reading the liner notes of the vinyl. Some bands really put some effort into that art.
A few notes on this:

One, I will buy physical albums again in the future. I would be surprised if my outlay is more than one a month, and I would expect half of these to be at band's shows.

Two, I'm not buying any this year because Australian media is expensive. Average new album price is in the $20 to $30 range. This is for a regular new release.
Old 07-25-12, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I paid for Spotify within an hour of using it. The selection, the ease of using it, the quality, the ability to keep stuff offline... all made it worth it. $10 for an all-you-can-listen music subscription is insane. I hope this and Netflix's pricing start putting pressure on cable TV packages.
Old 07-25-12, 07:08 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

Well, I based my opinion earlier on what I hear on the radio, I've never subscribed to streaming media on the internet, usually don't listen to music while I'm on the computer sitting next to my wife on her computer. So, I guess I really don't know what's out there, I just know that what I hear on the radio makes me want to take myself out back and shoot myself in the head, put me out of my misery, these days moreso than days past. Based on what I hear on the radio, I can well understand why people aren't buying todays music. Not to mention the fact that I've gotten OLD... -kd5-
Old 07-25-12, 10:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

There are more old albums out there then ever before. They didn't have this deep of a catalog in the 70s.
Old 07-25-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5
Well, I based my opinion earlier on what I hear on the radio, I've never subscribed to streaming media on the internet, usually don't listen to music while I'm on the computer sitting next to my wife on her computer. So, I guess I really don't know what's out there, I just know that what I hear on the radio makes me want to take myself out back and shoot myself in the head, put me out of my misery, these days moreso than days past. Based on what I hear on the radio, I can well understand why people aren't buying todays music. Not to mention the fact that I've gotten OLD... -kd5-
Where are you hearing this radio? And why is it on the Top 40 station?
Old 07-25-12, 05:14 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Where are you hearing this radio? And why is it on the Top 40 station?
Everywhere my wife and I eat and/or shop. They always seem to have (instead of restaurant/department store style non-descript non-intrusive music) their sound system tuned to (what used to be muzak) some ungodly Top 40 radio station where the music seems as if it was intended for kiddies (the clientele are typically 40-ish and up at the restaurants we go to). I don't know why everyone puts up with it, we've emailed several restaurants about the SHIT they play while people are trying to eat a quiet dinner but nobody ever responds and nothing is ever done about it. It seems to me like these places are paid by the RIAA (or local radio stations) to play that SHIT in their restaurants and stores regardless of what people actually want to hear while they're trying to eat or shop... -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 07-26-12 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New music doesn't suck, but the radio sure as hell does.
This.
Old 07-28-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I just have crazy eclectic tastes, but Spotify is missing a LOT of the music I want to hear. I keep a list of albums that I'd like to get because they were recommended to me, I listened to a track on YouTube, I liked another album by the artist, etc., and I'd use Spotify to preview them... except that about 3/4 of what I look for isn't there. Occasionally they'll have a different album than the one I was interested in, but even that's not guaranteed. The more mainstream stuff I don't have problem finding on Spotify, but I've usually got all those albums already.

It's alright for when I don't have access to my music library, but after all the great things I heard, I was a little underwhelmed.
Old 07-28-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts

Funny to see this thread.....I just bought the dark side of the moon 2011 remaster on both MP3 album and CD just last week