Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Somebody wanna explain this deadmau5 phenomenon to me

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Somebody wanna explain this deadmau5 phenomenon to me

Old 06-28-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Somebody wanna explain this deadmau5 phenomenon to me

I think The Art of Flight has been my most played blu-ray to date due to the soundtrack

One of those things you throw on in the background. Still need to see That's It, That's All. Watching the behind the scenes stuff on Art of Flight it seems Travo and company had a lot more planned that simply didn't pan out, still great music & photography.
Old 06-28-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
M83 I actually do like and they do put on a solid show.
I don't understand why M83 is being lumped in with Deadmau5 and Skrillex. M83 doesn't make EDM, they make synth-heavy rock music. Their live show has drums/percussion, guitars, keyboards, synths, and occasional saxophone being played live in real-time along with live vocals. Yeah, they may throw a few pre-tracked, knob-twiddling electronic breakdowns into the mix, but even then there's live accompaniment.
Old 06-28-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I don't know, it got brought up earlier I guess because of the light show aspect, and they are better than Deadmau5 and Skrillex even if not directly comparable.
Old 06-28-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I think The Art of Flight has been my most played blu-ray to date due to the soundtrack

One of those things you throw on in the background. Still need to see That's It, That's All. Watching the behind the scenes stuff on Art of Flight it seems Travo and company had a lot more planned that simply didn't pan out, still great music & photography.
It is great for sure. I play mine quite often too. You'll really dig That's It, That's All. Really re-defined what a Snowboarding film could be.

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I don't understand why M83 is being lumped in with Deadmau5 and Skrillex. M83 doesn't make EDM, they make synth-heavy rock music. Their live show has drums/percussion, guitars, keyboards, synths, and occasional saxophone being played live in real-time along with live vocals. Yeah, they may throw a few pre-tracked, knob-twiddling electronic breakdowns into the mix, but even then there's live accompaniment.
I think he lumped it in because M83 is very prominent in the movies we were talking about.
Old 06-28-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This stuff goes back even further. To get nerdy "Losing my Edge" ish, Kraftwerk, Harmonia and Eno and any number of other Krautrock bands were all doing pure electronic stuff in the early/mid seventies. Detroit techno and Itralian electronic disco (Giorgio Morodor) started in the late seventies. More related to current trends, Wax Trax! and a variety of other lables (TVT etc) were doing electronic dance music with an industrial flavor by the mid eighties (listen to Revolting Cocks' "You Goddamn Son of Bitch"). The first "modern" EDM CD I bought was probably 808 State's "United: 90" in 1989. Prodigy, Moby, Utah Saints, Shamen etc were all doing rave stuff that still sounds basically indistinguishable (to me) from a lot of the stuff being released now by the early ninties. Leftfield, Chemical Brothers, ColdCut, Fatboy Slim etc came a couple of years later and boosted the dynamics even more. Bands in the drum n' bass and jungle genres (listen to an old Goldie or T-Power cds) were doing Skrillex-type material in 1995. Daft Punk started doing stuff that is truly indistinguishable from this music (introcuing wub-wubs and distortion) in the mid/late ninties.

The stuff now just sounds warmed over to me.
Old 06-28-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Moopher View Post
I think he lumped it in because M83 is very prominent in the movies we were talking about.
I probably should have multi-quoted candyrocket's post that had the first mention of M83 (prior to any snowboarding video talk).
Old 06-28-12, 10:34 PM

I'm not really into Deadmau5 or Skrillex or any of the hot 'new' artists, but hell, I love the fact that they've gotten huge doing what they do.

It never fails to crack me up when most people believe that any type electronic music "new." Like it just popped up in the 1980's or 1990's out of nowhere. It pre-dates "rock" music by decades if not centuries. While early compositions don't exactly sound anything like current dance music via Deadmau5 or Skrillex, it's no more distant than stating Son House and Robert Johnson are ultimately responsible for The Beatles or The Who.

The earliest electronic instruments were invented in the mid 18th century.

"Musique Conrete," which is the process of arranging pre-recorded sound in order to make a new composition was developed in the 1930s. Basically an early version of what is now considered "sampling." The Beatles used this technique for "Revolution 9." They did not invent it.

In 1951, "CSIRAC" is the first computer to perform music.

That same year, Jackie Brenston, Ike Turner & the Rhythm Kings recorded "Rocket 88" which is debated to be the first Rock n' Roll record.

A little perspective never hurts.
Old 06-28-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SubZeri View Post
1993-1994: Progressive house and “big beat” such as Fluke, Chemical Brothers, and Fatboy Slim had supposedly blown the scene wide open and it would “never recover”. How many people bought the Dust Brothers (Chems) “Song To The Siren” and “14th Century Sky” containing Chemical Beats as a new release on vinyl versus those who thought they were cool because they got “Dig Your Own Hole” on CD three years later?
I'm guilty of getting "Dig Your Own Hole" three years later. But 1997 was really when I started to take a real interest in music anyway.

I have such fond memories of wasting time watching MuchMusic and M2 and being blown away with music videos for Daft Punk/Chemical Brothers/Underworld. They were just something awesomely different than the humdrum stuff on the radio.
Old 06-29-12, 12:05 AM

I'll post some of my favs from him tomorrow in here but basically he makes a lot of smooth chilled out electronic beats that are great to drive to or just sit at home and relax to
Old 06-29-12, 12:12 AM

I must've missed it, but who are you referring to?
Old 06-29-12, 12:15 AM

Deadmau5 the person who this thread is about...
Old 06-29-12, 09:01 PM