DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Somebody wanna explain this deadmau5 phenomenon to me (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/602608-somebody-wanna-explain-deadmau5-phenomenon-me.html)

DonnachaOne 06-23-12 09:31 PM

Re: Somebody wanna explain this deadmau5 phenomenon to me

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 11279524)
what the fuck is attracting hundreds of thousands of teens to stand in a stadium or field and watch some dude in a mouse mask do basically nothing they can see...

With you so far...

while they dance around to repetitive electronic bleeps and bloops.[/IMG]

... ah.

It's fine that you're not a fan of a certain type of music. With a lot of electronic music, one can learn to appreciate it, but typically it either hits you or it doesn't. If all you hear are "bleeps and bloops", it's not for you. Enjoy other styles of music instead, it's a very diverse world.

Mike86 06-23-12 09:57 PM

I don't mind some electronic music but it's not something I listen to very often and definitely don't see the point in going to a concert for.

Jason 06-23-12 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11283040)
I don't mind some electronic music but it's not something I listen to very often and definitely don't see the point in going to a concert for.

You go to this for the same reason you go to any concert for a group you don't like:

1) drugs (or booze)
2) ass

Mike86 06-24-12 11:45 AM

I guess I typically don't go to concerts I don't like. Then again where I live I basically travel between three and six hours to go to a show so I plan them more carefully.

Moopher 06-24-12 01:34 PM

I'm not a fan of Deadmau5, but I can see why people are into it. There's a few of his songs I've heard that I dig, but for the most part it's not the part of the electric genre that I care for. Skrillex and dubstep however...nothing of interest there. The first time I heard it, I thought it was cool...and then every song sounded completely similar to one another, got boring quick. Now this is some excellent electronic music right here (videos):

Spoiler:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xAL4AiuIDw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spoiler:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OcrcIlLcvdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spoiler:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KCPGQX9rU1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

modfather 06-26-12 03:19 PM

I think it's awesome that people with no musical talent whatsoever can have a career in music! On a similar note, I'm hoping to see the Kardashian girls in more movies and TV shows!

Moopher 06-26-12 04:07 PM

There must be some musical talent there, because people are listening.

cungar 06-26-12 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Moopher (Post 11286365)
There must be some musical talent there, because people are listening.

Yeah because we know only talented people become popular music artists.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...anilla_Ice.jpg

http://www.popjustice.com/wp-content...ris-Hilton.jpg

http://creolemagazine.com/wp-content...p-Pictures.jpg

Dr Mabuse 06-26-12 04:46 PM

You damned kids with your rap music and your ePods stop shooting the LSD and get off my lawn!!!

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ys/grandpa.gif

:lol:

clckworang 06-26-12 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by bearkiss (Post 11282883)
in nashville the Fuck Buttons opened up for the pixies at the ryman in september 2010... while it was definitely a different sound that most were expecting at the pixies concert, I thought it was a lot of fun! 2 guys working keyboards...

That was the band. I'm happy to hear somebody enjoyed them.

Moopher 06-26-12 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 11286419)
Yeah because we know only talented people become popular music artists.

Doy, that's what I was referring too quite obviously. I think "popular music artist" is a bit of a stretch there anyway. Those "musical careers" are a byproduct of their celebrity, they happened after the fact (if at all, lol). Except Vanilla Ice, but even that was pretty short-lived. Someone may not be great at playing an insturment, singing, etc. but, they still might be genius at melting sounds into a cohesive song. There's gonna be more bad than good in any given genre anyway, why would this be different?

nodeerforamonth 06-26-12 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 11282303)
Dead Mouse

the "5" is pronounced as an "S"

Does the mouse head make more sense now? ;)

Yeah. I just thought it was there because some retards were on drugs or something.

Rypro 525 06-27-12 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 11282522)
From what I've seen on youtube, Deadmau5 looks like it's nothing but an excuse to have a fancy light show. And I'm cool with that. The music just the soundtrack for the light show. Can't imagine sitting around and actually listening to it on it's own.

Skrillex, on the other hand, makes me want to harm people (mainly Skrillex himself) with a large, blunt object.

whats funny about Skrillex is before he got into electronic music, he was a screamo singer who ironically had to quit because he couldn't do the screaming any more

chino77 06-27-12 05:21 AM

i heard a few song of his today. i thought they were pretty good.

cungar 06-27-12 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Moopher (Post 11286502)
Doy, that's what I was referring too quite obviously. I think "popular music artist" is a bit of a stretch there anyway. Those "musical careers" are a byproduct of their celebrity, they happened after the fact (if at all, lol). Except Vanilla Ice, but even that was pretty short-lived. Someone may not be great at playing an insturment, singing, etc. but, they still might be genius at melting sounds into a cohesive song. There's gonna be more bad than good in any given genre anyway, why would this be different?

Sorry your sarcasm flew over my head.

SubZeri 06-27-12 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus (Post 11279934)
Well, 1997 to be precise. :)

http://i.imgur.com/5TDh8.jpg

Yeah, if you were 5 years late! I remember when my scene was "declared dead" in 1992. It's hilarious to see all the uber-newbs jumping on the bandwagon NOW! Hello, it'd be like showing up dressed in tie-dye ready to be on the forefront of the hippie movement....IN 1987! Deadmau5 did a remix for one of my brother's tunes "Community Funk" 6 years ago.

"He's not the only one. Electronic music is taking off in a big big way."
"Mainstream trance music is becoming more and more popular."

If you are just figuring that out now, I have a Hootie and the Blowfish cd you'd love, they're about to blow up! Get in now!

Carry on, kiddos...

http://www.nekozine.co.uk/prodigy/info/mixmag1.jpg

Rypro 525 06-27-12 02:20 PM

for anyone interested, this is Deadmou5's most popular song
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnwfTHpnGLY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnwfTHpnGLY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

(and that isn't him singing lol

Canis Firebrand 06-27-12 03:00 PM

This one is also a pretty big hit of his. And again, it isn't him singing. ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pb-EwykPTv8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SubZeri 06-27-12 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 11287513)
for anyone interested, this is Deadmou5's most popular song

It's a recent popular tune, but it's certainly not his most well known.
Check out the Noisia Remix, it completely dominates the original [as do most Noisia remixes]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXkrrV17WW0

Here is a demonstration video of the Mau5 in 2006, the first track is the remix he did for my brother: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjRKL...feature=fvwrel

Totally different styles than DM5, but here are links for two devastating DJ mixes:
Deep House: Maya Jane Coles Essential Mix 9-7-2011 http://soundcloud.com/r_co/maya-jane...-essential-mix
Drum & Bass: Sub Focus Essential Mix 4-24-2009 http://soundcloud.com/scottbigs/01-s...24-2009-talion

dex14 06-27-12 08:13 PM

This is a recent post from deadmau5

we all hit play.

its no secret. when it comes to “live” performance of EDM… that’s about the most it seems you can do anyway. It’s not about performance art, its not about talent either (really its not) In fact, let me do you and the rest of the EDM world button pushers who fuckin hate me for telling you how it is, a favor and let you all know how it is.

I think given about 1 hour of instruction, anyone with minimal knowledge of ableton and music tech in general could DO what im doing at a deadmau5 concert. Just like i think ANY DJ in the WORLD who can match a beat can do what “ANYONE else” (not going to mention any names) is doing on their EDM stages too. have a look, then let me explain:

okay, so heres me, in a big silly mousehead.. twiddlin a knob or somethin… okay so heres how it works…. Somewhere in that mess is a computer, running ableton live… and its spewing out premixed (to a degree) stems of my original producitons, and then a SMPTE feed to front of house (so tell the light / video systems) where im at in the performance… so that all the visuals line up nicely and all the light cues are on and stuff. Now, while thats all goin on… theres a good chunk of Midi data spitting out as well to a handful of synths and crap that are / were used in the actual produciton… which i can tweak *live* and whatnot… but doesnt give me alot of “lookit me im jimi hendrix check out this solo” stuff, because im constrained to work on a set timeline because of the SMPTE. Its a super redundant system, and more importantly its reliable as FUCK! And obviously, ive done the show a couple hundred times easily by now, so the focus over the past few runs with the “cube show” has been more revolved around adding new audio / visual content to keep it current.

so thats my “live” show. and thats as “live” as i can comfortably get it (for now anyway) of course itll evolve, and change up, but im sure a few key principles will always remain the same.

Im just so sick of hearing the “NO!!! IM NOT JUST DOING THIS, I HAVE 6 TABLES UP THERE AND I DO THIS THIS AND THIS” like… honestly. who gives a fuck? i dont have any shame in admitting that for “unhooked” sets.. i just roll up with a laptop and a midi controller and “select” tracks n hit a spacebar. ableton syncs the shit up for me… so no beatmatching skill required. “beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3, so dont give me that argument please.

my “skills” and other PRODUCERS skills shine where it needs to shine… in the goddamned studio, and on the fucking releases. thats what counts… because this whole big “edm” is taking over fad, im not going to let it go thinking that people assume theres a guy on a laptop up there producing new original tracks on the fly. becausje none of the “top dj’s in the world” to my knowledge have. myself included.

you know what makes the EDM show the crazy amazing show that it is? you guys do, the fans, the people who came to appreciate the music, the lights, all the other people who came, we just facilitate the means and the pretty lights and the draw of more awesome people like you by our studio productions. which is exactly what it is. But to stand up and say youre doing something special outside of a studio environment, when youre not, just plain fuckin annoys me.

I’m going see if i can get through this whole post without using a single explicative.

Well, i suppose in summary, to all i’ve said before, about the faux DJ’ing stuff. The pauly D’s the Paris Hiltons, the play pressers, it’s all part of this same point i’ve been trying to make i guess. EDM has turned into a massively marketed cruise ship, and it’s sinking fast. Not because of ll the passengers, but perhaps there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

I think i might have pissed off more people than i would have liked to in my previous posts and rants. A couple people come to mind, sure my heart broke a little when dave clarke chimed in on my “way too overstretched opinion on everyone and everything” … but i suppose it was a bit like carpet bombing. A few innocent bystanders are bound to get unintentionally hit.

Im a reasonable man, and i know what “controllerism” is. i also know that there are MANY groups and individuals out there who put in serious work and effort to bring a live or CREATIVE element into EDM performance. And if you didnt know that those people were exempt from my argument, then you need to get off the boat too.

Back to my first point, let’s look at this… today, EDM is as commercially viable as coca cola. And what ‘popular’ entity WOULDN’T want to cash in on that? Exactly why were starting to see reality stars and famous for nothing celebrities turn into overnight DJ’s, Majors signing ‘dance music oriented’ artists and producing major events, pre-exisiting pop artists and markets dabbling in the ‘EDM’ market to switch up the style using the same old pop business / marketing models… and this marriage of the two things is only going to make cash, move units, sell tickets and keep it ‘fresh’ coz its allll new to them, and theyre loving it. coz it fuckin works (for now).

All im trying to do, is put on my life jacket and swim as far away from this shipwreck as fast as i can. Because in all honesty, i just wanna be in the studio, making electronic music, and expressing myself by means of sitting in a comfy chair with my cat and my equipment… and of course, occaisionally strap on a foamy mau5head get on the road and press a few buttons for you guys ;)

UAIOE 06-27-12 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by SubZeri (Post 11286960)
It's hilarious to see all the uber-newbs jumping on the bandwagon NOW!

I a very bizarre moment where I was a bit torn on my feelings about this.

I'm walking to my car from a used cd/record store, and I hear some college guy/girl driving by blaring some electronic music (I don't know the artist). Part of me was like "You're late to the game getting to into this, I've been listening to this type of music since the mid-90's!" then the other side of me was like "Why weren't there more people like you back in 1997?"

I really don't mind people getting into the newer stuff now, as not everybody is going to get into whatever at the same time, but I don't like reading reviews where they talk like "electronic music" is some new thing.

SubZeri 06-28-12 07:26 AM

I totally agree. I have no problem whatsoever with people who are genuinely interested in the music getting into it. Heck, I'll even help guide them in the right direction. Most people think they are "on to something" because they think the Skrillex's of the world are pioneers. Dubstep is many years old, and just now popular music is embracing it as if it’s so futuristic. Those people are easily picked off by their use of the word "electronica" and referring to all keyboard-generated music as "trance".

This trend has happened for the last 25 years. Hence my post of the famous Prodigy Mixmag cover that asked "Did Charly Kill Rave?" from 1992. Note that the previous poster who posted the Keith Flint mag cover was referencing popular dance music, and that magazine came out 5 years and 2 albums after Prodigy had supposedly already “killed” the rave scene. I remember waiting for “Experience” before it came out and meeting the whole band, along with Moby and 808 State in January of 1993. Does anyone here even know who Graham Massey is??

I remember a timeline such as this:
1988-1990ish : Acid house and the Madchester scene blow up and everyone panics that their beloved underground scene was overexposed and too popular.

1991-1992: Hardcore breaks and goa trance were now supposedly so ubiquitous that the scene couldn’t possibly survive it, hence the Prodigy “killing rave” before their first album even came out. Altern-8’s signature sound of hardcore breakbeats had supposedly ruined everything!

1993-1994: Progressive house and “big beat” such as Fluke, Chemical Brothers, and Fatboy Slim had supposedly blown the scene wide open and it would “never recover”. How many people bought the Dust Brothers (Chems) “Song To The Siren” and “14th Century Sky” containing Chemical Beats as a new release on vinyl versus those who thought they were cool because they got “Dig Your Own Hole” on CD three years later?

1996ish: Josh Wink’s “Higher State Of Consciousness” opens the doors for many people who thought that a TB-303 had just been invented 2 weeks prior, when Hardfloor’s “Acperiance 1” had already devastated dancefloors with wobbly acid lines in 1991.

1997-2000: Sasha and Digweed supposedly invent something new for the masses with their big room trance and progressive house, ushering in a generation of “ravers” who thought that raving was something you did by purchasing a ticket from Ticketmaster and showing up to hear “Xpander” at the American Airlines Center, as opposed to showing up to a random field or warehouse in 1990 with a hand drawn map and tabs?

Now here we are in 2012 and hipsters hear of this “NEW GUY” Deadmau5 who has already been the largest name on the dancefloor for 7 years! The cycle is neverending and quite comedic. Back in the early days, there was no internet, so the scene grew naturally by word of mouth. Now we live in the cyber age where everything is one click away and it still takes people 7 years to discover that some “new mouse-head guy” who shows up on Rolling Stone is apparently some “new phenomenon”!

SubZeri 06-28-12 10:16 AM

Here is a response to Deadmau5's ridiculous slant on DJing from an absolute legend of the scene:
http://pulseradio.net/articles/2012/...omplete-wanker

----->
“Deadmau5 is a complete & utter wanker (now there's a surprise). So yes, he can count up to 4, but that doesn't mean the **** can mix. Also, mixing isn't about counting to 4, it's about selecting the right record at the right time to CAPTURE THE MOMENT in creating extended long DJ mixes (beat matching) that make the tunes sound like live remixes. FYI Deadmau5, there's a magic that happens when 2 tunes are mixed properly together by a real DJ, & I don't mean by a software program as in truth, when a DJ sync's the bpm & tracks, the mixes aren't that tight & the magic doesn't really happen, that magic only comes when it's correct. Now you run along & carry on button pushing to play your cheesy pre organized shit to children in fluffy boots & stop bothering us adults all with your uninformed opinions & lies. FUCK YOU IN EVERY ORIFICE.” –Mr. C

RichC2 06-28-12 12:04 PM

I'm not a big fan, it seems like he has a ton of fans though. I love the Dubstep remix of Ghosts n Stuff that Nero put out a couple years back (was used in The Art of Flight last year, reference quality 7.1 sound/music on that blu-ray.) but that's about it, tried to watch the Deadmau5 live video that's on Netflix but got bored pretty quick, some nifty light show stuff.

Skrillex is more fun to make fun of than he is to listen to.

M83 I actually do like and they do put on a solid show.

Moopher 06-28-12 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 11288667)
I'm not a big fan, it seems like he has a ton of fans though. I love the Dubstep remix of Ghosts n Stuff that Nero put out a couple years back (was used in The Art of Flight last year, reference quality 7.1 sound/music on that blu-ray.) but that's about it, tried to watch the Deadmau5 live video that's on Netflix but got bored pretty quick, some nifty light show stuff.

Skrillex is more fun to make fun of than he is to listen to.

M83 I actually do like and they do put on a solid show.

Finally. Someone else who has actually seen The Art of Flight. Pretty awesome soundtrack, but I liked That's It, That's All just a tad more. That's what exposed me to this music before I had ever heard it.