Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Muse - The 2nd Law - September 2012

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Muse - The 2nd Law - September 2012

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Muse - The 2nd Law - September 2012

This comes out Oct 2nd officially.

3 songs from the album have been released so far.

Madness- This song sucks
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ek0SgwWmF9w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Survival- Also bad
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/66molzUEkWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The 2nd Law: Unsustainable- This song is at least interesting, but I wouldn't say it's good. Certainly better than the other two.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EF_xdvn52As" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hate to say it as I'm a fan of Muse, but it looks like they peaked with Black Holes and Revelations
Old 09-16-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a feeling I'll grow into it. Not thrilled about the dub step crap though.

Gotta give them points for at least trying something different instead of releasing an album called More Black Holes and Even More Revelations.
Old 09-17-12, 09:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I have a feeling I'll grow into it. Not thrilled about the dub step crap though.

Gotta give them points for at least trying something different instead of releasing an album called More Black Holes and Even More Revelations.
that I'd buy at a heartbeat, the new songs are underwhelming to say the least.
Old 09-17-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find that interesting considering a band like Muse made some great records in the past because they were pushing envelopes and experimenting. You really can't expect a band like that to just start phoning it in. Some experiments will be failures on various levels, but I still think it's good they're trying to reinvent themselves every record.
Old 09-17-12, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you can make an argument either way. Why fix what's not broken?

Anyway what they did on The Resistance and now apparently The 2nd Law is not working. That doesn't mean I want them to go back to something they did before, but again, IMO this isn't good. This is another step in the wrong direction.
Old 09-18-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I'll wait to hear the whole thing before giving an opinion, but the stuff above really tempers my expectations for this one. Bummer.
Old 09-18-12, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Madness reminds me of Queen. I could definitely see them playing that song during the '80s or even in the early '90s.
Old 09-18-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
Madness reminds me of Queen. I could definitely see them playing that song during the '80s or even in the early '90s.
As did quite a bit of the last album IMO. Disliked it a lot a first for the most part, but it grew on me a lot.
Old 09-18-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
you can make an argument either way. Why fix what's not broken?
Well that's basically the difference between musicians who do it primarily for the love of music and those who do it primarily for the paycheck I think. Why didn't da Vinci just paint the Mona Lisa over and over and over again?

My guess is Muse are quite comfortable where they're at and decided to use the opportunity to do something different again.

That said, I'm not crazy about what I've heard so far either, but I am still open to liking it. Of course I'm also one of those nutjobs who liked The Resistance.
Old 09-25-12, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Album is streaming on itunes for free.
Old 09-25-12, 08:11 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that's basically the difference between musicians who do it primarily for the love of music and those who do it primarily for the paycheck I think. Why didn't da Vinci just paint the Mona Lisa over and over and over again?

My guess is Muse are quite comfortable where they're at and decided to use the opportunity to do something different again.

That said, I'm not crazy about what I've heard so far either, but I am still open to liking it. Of course I'm also one of those nutjobs who liked The Resistance.
It's always interesting watching these threads when an artist releases a new album. If they do something different, you have fans stating "why did they have to change their sound? make the same music you've been making and make me happy." And then if they were to release a new album that sounds like every other album they released you'd have other people saying "make something different. Every album sounds the same."

It's like bands/artists can't win at times. They are damned if they do something different and damned if they don't.

I'll wait until I can hear the whole album. I generally liked Resistance and the new songs aren't that bad. Different, but the will likely grow on me.
Old 09-25-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally i loved the album. with standouts being Supremacy, Panic Station, Follow Me, Big Freeze & Liquid State.
Save Me and Liquid State have lead vocals by Chris Wolstenholme
Old 09-25-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vryce
I

It's like bands/artists can't win at times. They are damned if they do something different and damned if they don't.
Without commenting on the new Muse album (I haven't heard it), sometimes it depends on whether what they do is good. U2 and Radiohead definitely gained a lot of respect and commercial success by changing their sound.
Old 09-25-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Personally i loved the album. with standouts being Supremacy, Panic Station, Follow Me, Big Freeze & Liquid State.
Save Me and Liquid State have lead vocals by Chris Wolstenholme
Supremacy and Panic Station are fantastic. Liquid State sounds like a Foo Fighters song. The rest of the album leaves me cold thus far.

Supremacy sounds like a Bond theme. In fact I theorize it was made in case they got asked and then they weren't.
Old 09-25-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This album is a piece of shit. The Muse that brought us Origin of Symmetry and Absolution clearly don't exist anymore.

The moment that I wanted to shut off the album was listening to Big Freeze because it sounded like Matt Belamy raping Michael Hutchence's corpse.
Old 09-25-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superfro
Supremacy sounds like a Bond theme. In fact I theorize it was made in case they got asked and then they weren't.
It really does sound like it could be a Bond theme. I suspect your theory is right.

Anyway I'm not liking what I'm hearing. This is really disappointing. At least I have Black Holes & Revelations, Absolution, Origin of Symmetry, and Showbiz to listen to (didn't care for The Resistance).
Old 09-26-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
It really does sound like it could be a Bond theme. I suspect your theory is right.
Just listening to it now. Oh my god - there's no way this wasn't intended for Bond or to be a very thinly veiled homage to Bond. It even has one of the common Bond dramatic themes in there in the lower key parts. Wow. Not a very good track to lead off the album with IMO. Sounds like bonus track material.

There are news articles popping up all over stating Muse want it to be the next Bond song so I guess they are still campaigning for it to be used.
Old 09-26-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just listening to it now. Oh my god - there's no way this wasn't intended for Bond or to be a very thinly veiled homage to Bond. It even has one of the common Bond dramatic themes in there in the lower key parts. Wow.
Even down to the string twang at the end of the track!
Old 09-26-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok just about done with the first listen.

GASP - I like it!

It's going to be a grower, but some stuff I liked right away. I really like "Save Me".

I'll have more thoughts as I listen to it more, but so far it's enjoyable for me so that's a plus.
Old 09-26-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Muse want new track 'Supremacy' to be James Bond 'Skyfall' theme
Drummer Dom Howard reckons song from 'The 2nd Law' has a 'Bond vibe'

Muse drummer Dom Howard has declared that their new track 'Supremacy' should be used as the theme for the next James Bond film Skyfall.

After much speculation, it was confirmed earlier this month (September 17) that Adele would be providing the official song for the next 007 flick but, in an interview with the BBC, Howard suggested that their cut from forthcoming new album 'The 2nd Law' would make an equally appropriate Bond anthem.

Discussing the song, he said:

It's got a little whisper to the Bond vibe – it all goes a bit crazy 'Live And Let Die' in the middle. My view is they should use it for the next James Bond film, but I don't know what's going on with that. I heard Adele was doing it.

Speaking about 'The 2nd Law', meanwhile, the drummer said: "We wanted to give every track its own character and touch on new ideas and break a little bit of new musical ground for the band as well,"

The 2nd Law' is released on October 1 in the UK and October 2 in the US. It includes new singles 'Madness' and 'Survival' as well as dubstep-influenced track 'The 2nd Law: Unsustainable'. The 13-track album is the follow-up to 2009's 'The Resistance' and has been recorded in London.

The Devon trio will also tour the UK in October, playing five shows. The gigs begin at Glasgow's SECC on October 24, before the band move onto London's O2 Arena for two shows on October 26 and 27. They then play Birmingham LG Arena on October 30 before finishing up at Manchester Arena on November 1.

The band will also play the iTunes Festival this month, headlining London's Roundhouse on September 30.
Old 09-26-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just hope they come to the US before the summer. Would much rather see them at an indoor venue like Allstate Arena or United Center than the crappy outdoor venues around here.
Old 09-26-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just hope they come to the US before the summer. Would much rather see them at an indoor venue like Allstate Arena or United Center than the crappy outdoor venues around here.
Seconded.
Old 10-03-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I've been thru it a couple of times and it is really disappointing. Survival is the only great song on it. Liquid State would be up there as well if it wasn't sung by the other guy. His voice isn't bad, just not remarkable in any way. Animals is also pretty good. Besides those 3, the rest range from listenable to shit. Panic Station is just fucking awful and the worst thing I think they have ever put on an album. Follow Me isn't far behind.
Old 10-03-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Panic Station is just fucking awful and the worst thing I think they have ever put on an album. Follow Me isn't far behind.
To each their own I guess. I still find Supremacy and Panic Station to be the few shining moments in a sea of boring.
Old 10-03-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard it about 4 or 5 times now. Seems like it takes a step down in the middle. Supremacy is good when I can look past it being a faux-Bond theme. I really like Madness and I love Panic Station, especially the bass part. Great tone and authority to that.

From there Survival is just OK, and I'm not finding Follow Me, Animals or Explorers very memorable. Big Freeze is decent. I do love Save Me. Agreed Liquid State could have been better with Matt's vocals. The 2nd Law stuff is fine with me especially since it's not being showcased earlier in the album.

I'm going to do the obligatory ranking thing now:

Absolution
BH&R
Resistance
2nd Law
Showbiz
OoS

Yes I like 2nd Law better than the first two records - those haven't really grabbed me as much as the later stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.