DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Dead Kennedys VS Black Flag VS Minor Threat (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/600692-dead-kennedys-vs-black-flag-vs-minor-threat.html)

JumpCutz 04-15-12 01:15 AM

Dead Kennedys VS Black Flag VS Minor Threat

Three of the seminal American hardcore punk bands. Who is your favorite?

Why?

cdollaz 04-15-12 08:59 AM

Re: Dead Kennedys VS Black Flag VS Minor Threat

DK, although I'll take Rollins solo stuff over any of it.

Pointyskull 04-15-12 09:03 AM

DK
Saw them live once - circa 1982 - and I will always remember Jello's truly remarkable stage presence.

walletboyniac 04-15-12 10:49 AM

Dead Kennedys, although I'm a huge fan of Greg Ginn's guitar playing in Black Flag.

Fist of Doom 04-15-12 02:01 PM

My teenaged self would vote for Minor Threat. Since I've barely listened to these bands since my teenage years, I'll let him cast my vote.

For some reason I never listened to much DK, but California Uber Alles is a great track.

Supermallet 04-15-12 03:46 PM

I love Black Flag but the Dead Kennedys are one of the best punk bands, period.

Nick Danger 04-15-12 04:42 PM

I've got the Dead Kennedys on vinyl and CD. I've got one Black Flag CD. I don't even remember Minor Threat. It's not even close.

My Other Self 04-15-12 05:11 PM

Another vote for DK. I like Henry Rollins but I'm not a big Black Flag fan.

Did anyone see Dead Kennedys wiki? :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Kennedys

Lastdaysofrain 04-16-12 07:33 AM

Black Flag were actually my favorite prior to Rollins taking over vocals, although I do like Damaged I kind of hate everything that came after that.

DKs were by far the most interesting musically and weirdest/most diverse, although their recent reunion stuff sort of tarnishes things a bit.

Minor Threat were always a bit one note, but that's kind of an asset.

I'm going with DKs

CRM114 04-16-12 08:34 AM

Dead Kennedys because they were brilliant.

Phodg 04-16-12 11:38 AM

DKs first, then Black Flag.
Saw the Dead Kennedys twice on the Fresh Fruit and In God We trust tours. Great gigs. First band I ever saw actually coordinating stage diving - Jello had people line up on the stage during songs and dive in one after the other.

inri222 04-16-12 12:54 PM

This is tough. if you would have put Bad Brains that would have been my choice.
But since they are not there I'll have to go with :

http://daddytypes.com/archive/black_flag_bars.jpg

Hiro11 04-16-12 04:31 PM

DKs were probably best, their first album is, IMO, still the best American punk album.

Having said that, when I was a kid, Minor Threat meant much more to me. Their earnestness seems a bit quaint to me these days, but when you're 15 that stuff makes a hell of a lot of sense.

I listened to a lot of hardcore when I was about fourteen. My favorite classic album from that time was probably MDC's "Millions of Dead Cops" (which sounds pretty amateur hour to me now). Then I got more into Big Black, not really true hardcore, but probably the defining band of my high school memories. This spiralled into early Killing Joke, then Jesus Lizard and then all the great Wax Trax stuff that was happening in the late eighties / early ninties. Ah, memories.

Josh-da-man 04-16-12 04:57 PM

DK
Black Flag
Minor Threat

I never really saw the appeal of Minor Threat, and find them to be just another overpraised punk band.

Traxan 04-16-12 05:13 PM

DKs, but Henry aged better than Jello. I don't mean physically, I mean Henry managed to sneak into the mainstream while still being insidiously outside of it. Jello became too shrill for most people. Running for president with Mumia Abu Jamal as your running mate will not win you a lot of fans.

Lastdaysofrain 04-17-12 07:04 AM

to be fair, none of these three bands were my favorite in the genre either. I was way more into Bad Brains as well, also a huge Naked Raygun fan.

Hiro11 04-17-12 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain (Post 11193247)
also a huge Naked Raygun fan.

Shit yeah.

freshticles 04-17-12 12:52 PM

Bad Brains should definitely be on this list.