Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Day to release 3 albums in next 8 months

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Green Day to release 3 albums in next 8 months

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Green Day to release 3 albums in next 8 months

Originally Posted by cungar
I guess I'm having trouble with the band maturing and then going back to their "fuck this, fuck that" lyrics. I mean they're 40 now. "Someone kill the DJ, Shoot the fuckin' DJ" and "Let yourself go, Let yourself go, Let yourself gooooo" is the best lyrics they can come up with? Even Nimrod was sophisticated compared to this stuff.
It all seems a little too calculated to me. After two, more serious 'concept' albums, if your next move is to take a big step backwards and make a simple old school punk-pop album in hopes of reconnecting with your original audience, I don't know exactly what that says about them. I mean there's nothing necessarily wrong with a big dumb, yet fun pop album - and let's face it, that's what this record is - only you'd think that they would be well past that by now, though.

Most of the profanity on the album seems like it's just there for the sake of it, or to make teenage kids giggle with glee because they said "Fuck". It serves no true purpose, becomes absolute overkill, and the songs would be just as good, if not better, without it. I agree in that they would perhaps be better served acting more there age - at least for critical respect. But then that likely wouldn't sell as many records, would it?

They still can right some damn catchy songs though.
Some of them are catchy, but too many of them still swipe melodies of other songs, even if it's only a piece here or there. Conveniently, too, most of them likely too old for their younger audience to have ever heard before, thus making them less recognizable. A friend and I listening to the album today counted more than a few familiar musical phrases.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 09-26-12 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-26-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really liking the album. I have no problem with the profanity. Best thing they've done since Nimrod.
Old 09-28-12, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

So does anybody like the Alanis Morisette cover of Basket Case?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nwEa03wNbUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-28-12, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts

It's exactly what you'd imagine Alanis Morisette covering Basket Case would sound like. It was ok, never need to hear it again.
Old 09-28-12, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I like Alanis Morisette but I never want to hear that again. Ever.
Old 09-28-12, 11:20 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I like Alanis, but that cover was unnecessary and uninspired. You want an awesome cover, there are few better than Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt.

The more I listen to Uno, the more I like it. This is one of Green Day's best efforts, IMHO. I'm looking forward to Dos and Tre.
Old 09-28-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Some of them are catchy, but too many of them still swipe melodies of other songs, even if it's only a piece here or there. Conveniently, too, most of them likely too old for their younger audience to have ever heard before, thus making them less recognizable. A friend and I listening to the album today counted more than a few familiar musical phrases.
So same old story - American Idiot was over the top of copping songs - but I just heard the first part of "Oh Love" (sorry if I got the title wrong) and it was 'borrowing' the Keep On Rockin Me Baby by Steve Miller riff.

Same old same old.
Old 09-29-12, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best album since Warning from my favorite band of all time!
Old 09-30-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

American Idiot woke me from not caring about Green Day. Now, I can go back to disinterest again. New album is a snooze.
Old 09-30-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I finally got a chance to listen to it all yesterday, and I really like it a lot. Looking forward to Dos!
Old 09-30-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
American Idiot woke me from not caring about Green Day. Now, I can go back to disinterest again. New album is a snooze.
Except it is 10x better than AI, but to each their own, enjoy not listening to them.
Old 10-02-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Except it is 10x better than AI, but to each their own, enjoy not listening to them.
Really? I mean, REALY? Wow. I think you may be the only one with that particular opinion, but if you really enjoy it that much, more power to you.
Old 10-02-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Really? I mean, REALY? Wow. I think you may be the only one with that particular opinion, but if you really enjoy it that much, more power to you.
I don't think its 10 times better, but I could see myself pulling out Uno to listen to more often than AI.
Old 10-02-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Applejack
I don't think its 10 times better, but I could see myself pulling out Uno to listen to more often than AI.
I can see you saying that now - because like me, I'm sure that you are likely entirely played out on American Idiot. However, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's even close to being a better album. Different, definitely, and perhaps a less challenging listen.
Old 10-03-12, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A brief history about my relationship with The Day:

I was 9 years old when Dookie came out and they have been my favorite band ever since. I loved every single one of their albums up to American Idiot. I didn't hate it, I kind of enjoy it, but the band that made that was not the same Green Day I grew up with. When 21CB came out, at first I was very pleased with it, but over the past 3 years, it has not held up well for me (meaning I'm never in the mood to listen to it, same deal with American Idiot, whereas with every prior album I'm always in the mood for).

I really grew tired of Green Day's political lyrics. I missed the days of 3-chord pop-punk, fun songs. Now Uno has brought the old Green Day (for the most part) back, and I am thrilled with the results. It isn't as good as anything from 1039 - Warning, but it is close enough and it is so refreshing to hear non-political Green Day back.

The only real gripe I have is the pro-tools doctoring of Billie Joe's voice (same thing as on 21CB). It sounds like he is muffled when he sings, why can't they let his natural voice out?
Old 10-03-12, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can see you saying that now - because like me, I'm sure that you are likely entirely played out on American Idiot. However, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's even close to being a better album. Different, definitely, and perhaps a less challenging listen.
I recognize that AI and 21CB are more ambitious albums. But, Green Day has always thrived in their simplicity. Stick to what you do best. I give them props for attempting the epic scope of those albums, but the beauty of their music has always been simple, melodic punk-pop.
Old 10-03-12, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts

Hey Hap - What were your thoughts on the FHT album?

Still haven't picked this album up but the few songs I've heard I like. I'm sorta a Green Day fan and a HUGE American Idiot fan.
Old 10-03-12, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A brief history about my relationship with The Day:

I was 9 years old when Dookie came out and they have been my favorite band ever since. I loved every single one of their albums up to American Idiot. I didn't hate it, I kind of enjoy it, but the band that made that was not the same Green Day I grew up with. When 21CB came out, at first I was very pleased with it, but over the past 3 years, it has not held up well for me (meaning I'm never in the mood to listen to it, same deal with American Idiot, whereas with every prior album I'm always in the mood for).

I really grew tired of Green Day's political lyrics. I missed the days of 3-chord pop-punk, fun songs. Now Uno has brought the old Green Day (for the most part) back, and I am thrilled with the results. It isn't as good as anything from 1039 - Warning, but it is close enough and it is so refreshing to hear non-political Green Day back.

The only real gripe I have is the pro-tools doctoring of Billie Joe's voice (same thing as on 21CB). It sounds like he is muffled when he sings, why can't they let his natural voice out?
Fair enough.

I was more than twice your age when Dookie came out, so it's likely one of those cases where the generation gap skews our perspective on them. I quite liked that album, but not long after Insomniac came out, I grew tired of them pretty quickly. They'd reel me back in with the occasional song here or there, but it wasn't until American Idiot came out that I thought maybe they could be more than just the simple, quick pop-punk tunes. As artistic piece of work, it was right up there.

However, I will concede that if you are just looking for good old simple fun, then yes, this record is exactly what you'd want. In that sense, and the other points you made about AI and 21CB (which I also pretty much agree with), I can see where you'd be more pleased with this album.
Old 10-03-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Hey Hap - What were your thoughts on the FHT album?

Still haven't picked this album up but the few songs I've heard I like. I'm sorta a Green Day fan and a HUGE American Idiot fan.
I liked the FHT album, but don't listen to it all that often. Dos is supposed to have that sound though.

If you are a "HUGE" AI fan, you may not like Uno, as it is the total opposite (for the better imo ).
Old 10-03-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I love when people state an extreme minority opinion as fact and then use it to belittle people.
Old 10-03-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
I love when people state an extreme minority opinion as fact and then use it to belittle people.
I never said it was a fact (opinions can't be facts), but in my opinion it is far superior. Look around the web, many other old school Green Day fans feel the same.
Old 10-03-12, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Fair enough.

I was more than twice your age when Dookie came out, so it's likely one of those cases where the generation gap skews our perspective on them. I quite liked that album, but not long after Insomniac came out, I grew tired of them pretty quickly. They'd reel me back in with the occasional song here or there, but it wasn't until American Idiot came out that I thought maybe they could be more than just the simple, quick pop-punk tunes. As artistic piece of work, it was right up there.
Now see, I was 24 when Dookie came out, and my taste in Green Day is closer to Hapgilmore's than your's. I loved everything up to AI. I like a couple of songs from AI and zero on 21st. And I welcome a return to a simpler Green Day. Contrast that to my stepson who was 7 when Dookie came out. He adores AI and to a lessor extent 21st, but can't stand Uno. I don't think you can explain this by generational gap.

Last edited by covenant; 10-03-12 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-12-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So has anyone heard Dos! yet?
Old 11-12-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tarantino
So has anyone heard Dos! yet?
Haven't heard it yet, it's getting slammed in the reviews.
Old 11-12-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I did a cursory listen and it's a louder, faster album than Uno. I'll comment further when I've had a chance hear it more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.