Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Day to release 3 albums in next 8 months

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Green Day to release 3 albums in next 8 months

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Green Day to release 3 albums in next 8 months

Originally Posted by Bandohurt
Elton John wrote the entire Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album in a weekend.
It's amazing how prolific they were at that time. I saw the GBYBR documentary and it was simply stunning how quickly they produced such timeless music.
Old 06-12-12, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Green Day has confirmed they are releasing the 3 albums in September, November, and January. Uno will come out September 25th, Dos on November 13th, and Tre on January 15th.
Old 06-14-12, 02:31 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Here's the official trailer for Uno - I like the sound they're going for.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2L7YpZONarY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-14-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

If the whole album has a similar vibe to that it could be alright. I'll probably wind up picking it up. Don't like the album artwork though.
Old 06-14-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Bandoman, you're like 50. Why are you listening to Green Day?

(ignore the fact that the members of Green Day are 40ish )
Old 06-15-12, 09:32 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Bandoman, you're like 50. Why are you listening to Green Day?

(ignore the fact that the members of Green Day are 40ish )
I just like them. I also like old guy acts like Springsteen and Rush.
Old 06-15-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one who gets a franz ferdinand vibe from that clip?
Old 06-15-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, and I have a baaaad feeling about it. It sounds more produced than I'd like.

paused at :10

Song Titles?

Nuclear Family
Stay the night
Carpe Diem
Let Yourself Go
Fell For You
Crushing Bastards
Teenage Blue/Angel Blue
Trouble Maker
See You Tonight
It's Fuck Time
Stop When The Red L? (I'll make you surrender)
Kill the DJ
Lazy Boy?
Wild one
Makeout Party
Drama Queen

Last edited by covenant; 06-15-12 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-15-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Here's the official trailer for Uno - I like the sound they're going for.
looks like the bassist is wearing an Eddie and the Hot Rods Life on the Line t-shirt. I'm amazed their music is so bad when they like good things at least.
Old 06-21-12, 10:44 AM
Enormous Genitals

Billy Joe Armstrong interviewed by Rolling Stone re: the upcoming releases.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...lbums-20120620

"We are going into the unknown – I don't know what's going to happen," Green Day singer-guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong admitted during a break in a mixing session, at a studio in Tarzana, California, for his band's forthcoming daredevil release: three separate albums, Uno!, Dos! and Tré!, to be issued by Warner Bros. two months apart this fall and winter.

"It's exciting and nerve-wracking," Armstrong went on. "But it's more exciting," he quickly noted with a grin, "than anything else."

That day, Armstrong, bassist Mike Dirnt and drummer Tré Cool were working on songs from Uno! – coming out on September 25th – with longtime co-producer Rob Cavallo. Everyone, including Cavallo, sat down for separate interviews for an exclusive story in the new issue of Rolling Stone, on newsstands Friday, about the three records' strange birth and Green Day's commercial gamble. But Armstrong, the group's main songwriter, spoke for more than an hour, going into detail about the music, specific songs and the charge he still gets from risk.

"When I signed that major-label contract when I was 20 years old," he noted at one point, "I did it because I wanted to play music for the rest of my life. That's every 20-year-old's dream – to do whatever the hell you want.

"This," Armstrong said of Uno!, Dos! and Tré!, "is just a crazy idea that happens to be working really well."

What did you think Green Day needed to do next, after American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown? You couldn't do a third punk opera in a row.
People ask me all the time. Even my son asked me, "Dad, would you ever go back to playing songs like from [1994's] Dookie and [1992's] Kerplunk?" I love those records. I love the punk stuff I grew up on. But there are so many bands who make the mistake – "We're going back, old-school." Well, that's all you're doing. You already did it. So we're changing the guitar sound. We're not going with the big Marshall-amp thing. We wanted something punchier, more power pop – somewhere between AC/DC and the early Beatles.

There is a different density, from the operas, in the new mixes I've heard. There are not a lot of parts in there, but what goes on in the songs has dimension and thrust.
The last two records were studio albums. This one – we started rehearsing every day, constructing these songs together. It felt like we were all in a room jamming – everyone in the mix, throwing out ideas. If you listen to it, it feels grand. But it also feels like a garage band.

When did you realize you had three albums' worth of solid new songs instead of just one?
The songs just kept coming, kept coming. I'd go, "Maybe a double album? No, that's too much nowadays." Then more songs kept coming. And one day, I sprung it on the others: "Instead of Van Halen I, II and III, what if it's Green Day I, II and III and we all have our faces on each cover?"

Like the KISS solo albums.
I've already heard that one. [Laughs] The last record got so serious. We wanted to make things more fun.

One song on Dos!, "Fuck Time," is something you mentioned to me back when the theatrical version of American Idiot was getting started on Broadway.
A guy in the cast, Theo Stockman, started calling himself the King of Fuck. Then it got into a thing where everytime they got ready for a show, the cast members got in a circle, put their hands in the middle and went, "One, two, three, it's fuck time!" I just wrote the song. We did it as Foxboro Hot Tubs at a club in New York, Don Hill's, because we knew some of the cast members would be there. We ended up playing it ten times in a row.

We thought it would stay a Foxboro Hot Tubs song. But the more we played it, we thought, "This is pretty good. Why should we give it to our alterego?"

There is a song on Uno! – "Kill the DJ" – that is the closest thing you've done to a straight-up dance song, with power-drill guitars. It's a mix of thump and noise that recalls the Clash's work with early hip-hop beats on [1980's] Sandinista!
Mike asked me to write a song with a four-on-the-floor rhythm. I'd never done it before. It's kind of like Sandinista!, Ian Dury's "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll" and the Tom Tom Club song, "Genius of Love." We were trying to figure out how to make dance music without turning into a dance band.

Who's the DJ you want to kill?
It's about static and noise.

People on TV and radio, talking endlessly about themselves?
Yeah – and all of the things inbetween. Like this government cannot, will not, agree with itself. They refuse to make it work. Right, left – it doesn't matter. It blows your mind and pisses you off. It's a song about being drunk, going through this chaos, feeling fucked up and all you want to do is get more drunk: "I don't even want to know about it anymore."

"99 Revolutions" on Tré! has a lot of Occupy-protest references. Did you go to the Occupy protests in your town, Oakland?
Um, yes and no.

Which is it?
We wanted to be part of it in some way. I thought it was about working people and where we come from. But Oakland got really complicated when the anarchists started coming in. I'm not into that – smashing the windows in a small business.

Are you a 99 or 1 percenter?
I feel like a 99, but technically I'm a 1. You know, it was an easy song to write. I know that's where I come from – the 99 – even though I can afford for my kids to go to a good college. It's interesting: Cops are 99 percenters. Firemen are 99 percenters. That's where the anarchists are confused. This is much broader than you think it is.

Do these three new albums count as one under your record contract – or three?
One. Believe me, we asked. [Laughs] There was no getting around that. That was fine. The record company have been great about it, just stoked. People get so caught up in not trying to do something new and creative: "Let's just put out an EP." We said, "Let's do the exact opposite, something dangerous and fun."
Old 06-21-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

less and less interested
Old 06-21-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

That interview is actually giving me a bit more interest to be honest. I like the fact that they're trying new things rather than doing another bland rock opera. I like that he says they're going for a more garage style sound which is sort of what Foxboro Hot Tubs was so if these albums are similar to that I'll probably enjoy them. I'm still a bit hesitant but I'm more willing to give these albums a shot now.
Old 06-21-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
That interview is actually giving me a bit more interest to be honest. I like the fact that they're trying new things rather than doing another bland rock opera. I like that he says they're going for a more garage style sound which is sort of what Foxboro Hot Tubs was so if these albums are similar to that I'll probably enjoy them. I'm still a bit hesitant but I'm more willing to give these albums a shot now.
Loved the Foxboro Hot Tubs' tunes.....I'm a huge fan of 1960s garage rock.
Old 06-22-12, 10:35 AM
Enormous Genitals

I'm definitely going to get Uno to see what they're doing, if it hearkens back to the Foxboro Hot Tubs I'm all for it. I'm glad it's not going to be just another American Idiot/21st Century Breakdown.
Old 06-22-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't care for Foxboro Hot Tubs. Not a fan of 60's sock-hoppy rock and roll.
Old 06-22-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

Will probably listen to uno a few times before deciding on whether to buy it or not. LOVE American Idiot and FHT but not a huge fan outside of those two albums and a handful of singles. 21st Century Breakdown left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 06-22-12, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by covenant
Not a fan of 60's sock-hoppy rock and roll.
what does that even mean?
Old 06-22-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here, I'll break it down for you: I don't like garage rock from the early sixties. I call it sock-hoppy because it sounds like it you'd hear it at a sock hop circa 1962.
visual aid:

Last edited by covenant; 06-22-12 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-23-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here, I'll break it down for you: I don't like garage rock from the early sixties. I call it sock-hoppy because it sounds like it you'd hear it at a sock hop circa 1962.
I get what you're saying but I think you're confusing garage rock with stuff like Dion and the Belmonts, Frankie Avalon, Four Seasons, etc. How was garage rock even around in 1962? It only started in the mid 60s after the British Invasion.
Old 06-23-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

read the wikipedia on it. Predates the British Invasion...Genre started in '58. Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Kingsmen...Louie Louie in '63. Early period heavily influenced by Surf Rock.

Last edited by covenant; 06-23-12 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-23-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cungar
It's amazing how prolific they were at that time. I saw the GBYBR documentary and it was simply stunning how quickly they produced such timeless music.
IMO, Husker Du is the all-time prolific-but-great champ. They recorded the entirety of Zen Arcade, an incredibly complex double album, in one epic 72 hour session. This album is arguably the best and most important American punk album of the eighties. Within the next fifteen months, they released New Day Rising and Flip Your Wig, two even better albums that basically set the template for pop-punk for the next two decades plus.

IMO, these three albums rank among the greatest three album streaks in pop music history. Also, the musical growth between Zen Arcade and Flip Your Wig is astounding when you consider how closely they were produced. Zen Arcade is a messy, kitchen-sink style hardcore punk classic. Flip Your Wig is a tightly produced, polished and crafted guitar power pop album. The fact that they produced that much great material in 15 months (while touring incessantly, mind you) is crazy. Green Day, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Weezer etc, all owe a huge debt to Husker Du.

Come to think of it, maybe only Prince rivals Husker Du in terms of productivity at their respective peaks. There must be something in the Twin Cities' water supply in the eighties.
Old 06-24-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

read the wikipedia on it. Predates the British Invasion...Genre started in '58. Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Kingsmen...Louie Louie in '63. Early period heavily influenced by Surf Rock.
OK got you but that is more like frat rock steeped in 1950's rock n roll and surf influences. A lot of the tunes those bands would play were instrumentals. The Wailers and Paul Revere and the Raiders of 1965 are very different from what they were like in 1962. I couldn't picture the early 60s Wailers recording Hang Up and Out of Our Tree. These bands existed but their influence was small. It was just a Northwest scene. I would say the genre really started 1964 and pretty much any of those groups (the real garage bands, not major label bands, the teenagers in bands who released one off 45s) would tell you they started picking up guitars after they saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. The term garage rock is from the 70s so it's sketchy to categorize any of this but 1962 vs 1966 is way way different I know that. The photo you posted is like an early 60s senior prom which I guess would be sock hoppy like Happy Days or something. I don't think of sock hoppy when I think of real garage bands like the ones on Back From the Grave and Teenage Shutdown, I think of punk.
Old 06-24-12, 07:00 PM
Enormous Genitals

Another taste of the new music...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-idGjigTqZA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-25-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by statcat
OK got you but that is more like frat rock steeped in 1950's rock n roll and surf influences. A lot of the tunes those bands would play were instrumentals. The Wailers and Paul Revere and the Raiders of 1965 are very different from what they were like in 1962. I couldn't picture the early 60s Wailers recording Hang Up and Out of Our Tree. These bands existed but their influence was small. It was just a Northwest scene. I would say the genre really started 1964 and pretty much any of those groups (the real garage bands, not major label bands, the teenagers in bands who released one off 45s) would tell you they started picking up guitars after they saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. The term garage rock is from the 70s so it's sketchy to categorize any of this but 1962 vs 1966 is way way different I know that. The photo you posted is like an early 60s senior prom which I guess would be sock hoppy like Happy Days or something. I don't think of sock hoppy when I think of real garage bands like the ones on Back From the Grave and Teenage Shutdown, I think of punk.
Regardless of what either of us want to call it, I'm not a fan of it.
Old 06-25-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

I didn't care for Foxboro Hot Tubs.
Have you listened to The Network?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.