Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Fiona Apple's latest album title "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Fiona Apple's latest album title "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the...

Old 06-14-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Fiona Apple's latest album title "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the

I love the weird bullshit - she's a true artist and not a pop tart. I still think she has a real masterpiece in her.
Old 06-14-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Fiona Apple's latest album title "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff View Post
I love the weird bullshit - she's a true artist and not a pop tart. I still think she has a real masterpiece in her.
Well, it's not this record. I guess we'll try again in 2019.
Old 06-15-12, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
Fiona is really all over the place with this new record. It's a difficult listen. I like some of it, but it's a chore to get through......and it's only 42 minutes long.

It'd be nice to just hear some actual songs without all the weird bullshit.
I've read about 5 or 6 "early" reviews, mostly from small sites and papers so far (the biggest being ew.com) and they are GREAT across the board. I'm sure I didn't find every one, but I didn't find one that didn't call the album great. Of course that will likely change some after release day and more reviews come out, but after listening to it myself and reading those early reviews, I think it's clear Fiona has made yet another fantastic album. Not a masterpiece, it still alludes her, but in my opinion there's not a lot of great music being made right now, so I'll take what I can get.

I'd give it an A-.
Old 06-16-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The live versions of "Every Single Night" and "Anything We Want" are good.

As far as the album, I think the second half of it is much stronger than the first 4 tracks. "Jonathan" should've been left on the cutting room floor.
Old 06-18-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm debating getting the regular or the deluxe version, anyone have an opinion?
Old 06-18-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really disappointed that they made such a fancy box release and decided to stick the cd in the side, with no hub, and have it be so tight on top of that. No way this cd stays pristine in anyone's collection over time. I guess most people move their media from cd to computer and mobile devices, but I still like playing cds and no matter how careful I am with it, this will scratch.

PS-Look forward to seeing her on Fallon tonight if I can stay awake, but recording it just in case. Garbage also did their first tv appearance for this cd on Fallon. He seems to be getting the people Letterman used to get. Meanwhile, Letterman has Justin Bieber this week. Ugh.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 06-18-12 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope the lyrics are included in the regular release.....anyone know? They better be.

The deluxe just has a DVD with 5 live songs.
Old 06-19-12, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope the lyrics are included in the regular release.....anyone know? They better be.

The deluxe just has a DVD with 5 live songs.
Um, more specifically...

Deluxe CD/DVD package includes The Idler Wheel... CD in a 5.5" x 7.5" 40-page book filled with Fiona's lyrics, drawings and sketches, along with 2 personal photographs and a fold-out album poster. The bonus DVD contains footage of Fiona performing five songs live from her first tour in 5 years, shot at SXSW/Austin in March '12.

Other than how the discs are packaged, the deluxe set is very cool and very much worth it if you're a Fiona fan.
Old 06-20-12, 05:34 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The live versions of "Every Single Night" and "Anything We Want" are good.

As far as the album, I think the second half of it is much stronger than the first 4 tracks. "Jonathan" should've been left on the cutting room floor.
I dunno.. Of the entire cd, the only song that I'm not really a fan of, after two listens so it might grow on me, is Hot Knife. I liked Daredevil and Valentine as tracks 2 and 3. Even Jonathan I liked more than Hot Knife. I usually don't mind odd or quirky songs, but I just didn't enjoy Hot Knife.
Old 06-20-12, 07:23 PM

I pretty much enjoy the entire album with the standouts being "Left Alone" and "Anything We Want." "Jonathan" is sorta blah for me.
Old 06-21-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by significant View Post
Great, I love the Olsen triplet!
There already is one of those and she's actually beautiful AND talented.

Old 06-21-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

does anyone know if the regular CD version has the lyrics with it? I'm still waiting before I fork over money for the photos of Fiona etc. that I don't really want in the deluxe.
Old 06-21-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Now on Spottie, so I took a listen today. Like it a lot.
Old 06-23-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

does anyone know if the regular CD version has the lyrics with it?
Yes... It has a CD booklet with the lyrics.

Listening to it now...

I could listen to Fiona Apple read her shopping list... So, no complaints here.
Old 06-25-12, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, Fiona started recording this record in 2008, and it's been finished since 2010.

She needs to settle with the damn record company and get a new one. This never should've taken 7 years.
Old 05-28-19, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Fiona Apple's latest album title "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the...

Fiona Apple has released a cover of the Beach Boys classic “In My Room” in collaboration with Jakob Dylan. As Pitchfork points out, the track was recored for the new documentary film Echo in the Canyon, which just follows the music of California’s Laurel Canyon community in the 1960s.

The soundtrack, which was helmed by Jakob Dylan, includes recordings from Beck, Eric Clapton, Cat Power, Regina Spektor, and more.Fiona Apple’s last album The Idler Wheel… was released in 2012.

Back in January, she collaborated with King Princess on a re-recorded version of “I Know,” the song from her 1999 album When the Pawn…. In April of last year, Apple released the single “I Can’t Wait To Meet You” for the Carnegie Hall Lullaby Project’s Hopes and Dreams compilation. Hear her “In My Room” cover below.

https://www.spin.com/2019/05/fiona-a...O1tBFzMn1NTMXA

Old 05-28-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Fiona Apple's latest album title "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the...

That was boring and pointless.

Give us new stuff, Fiona!

I remember seeing her live in a ballroom in Honolulu in Dec 1998 : She was very drunk and couldn't stop talking about how happy she was to be done with her tour (it was her last stop). -- I get it, but really quit talking about it now because it sounds a lot like you don't want to be here performing for us and that kinda kills the mood.