Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Album By Album Thread - The Monkees

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Album By Album Thread - The Monkees

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Album By Album Thread - The Monkees

Sorry for the delay, but here's...

Instant Replay - Released February 1969, Colgems Records.
Is the seventh album album by The Monkees. It was the first album not to feature Peter Tork, although he does appear as a guitarist on one track - "I Won't Be The Same Without Her" - which had been recorded years before. The record came out six months after the cancellation of the group's NBC television series, and it is also the only album of the original nine studio albums that does not include any songs featured in the TV show from the original run, or reruns.

The album charted at #32, which while not great for a Monkees album, was still much better than Head managed to make it to.

Track listing

Side 1
1. "Through The Looking Glass" (Red Baldwin/Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart)
2. "Don't Listen To Linda" (Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart)
3. "I Won't Be the Same Without Her" (Gerry Goffin/Carole King)
4. "Just A Game" (Micky Dolenz)
5. "Me Without You" (Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart)
6. "Don't Wait For Me" (Michael Nesmith)

Side 2
1. "You And I" (Bill Chadwick/David Jones)
2. "While I Cry" (Michael Nesmith)
3. "Tear Drop City" (Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart)
4. "The Girl I Left Behind Me" (Carole Bayer Sager/Neil Sedaka)
5. "A Man Without A Dream" (Gerry Goffin/Carole King)
6. "Shorty Blackwell" (Micky Dolenz)

Produced by David Jones, Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart, Neil Sedaka & Carole Bayer Sager, Bones Howe
Music Coordinators: Lester Sill and Brendan Cahill

Group Members - Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz and Michael Nesmith

Session musicians -
Michael Nesmith: Vocals, Guitars, Electric Organ
Davy Jones: Vocals, Percussion
Micky Dolenz: Vocals, Piano

The rest of the session musicians are numerous and vary by track. Amongst them are...
Guitars: Louis Shelton, Gerry McGee, Wayne Erwin, Keith Allison, Tommy Boyce, James Burton, Glen Campbell, Al Casey, Mike Deasy, Peter Tork, Tommy Tedesco, Harold Bradley, Lloyd Green (Pedal Steel), Bill Chadwick, Neil Young, William Suyker, Al Gafa, Don Thomas
Banjo: Sonny Osborne
Bass: Joe Osborn, Bob West, Max Bennett, Bobby Dyson, Rick Dey, Larry Taylor, Russ Savakus
Drums: Billy Lewis, Hal Blaine, Jim Gordon, Jerry Carigan, Eddie Hoh, Herb Lovell
Various Keyboards
: Bobby Hart, Larry Knechtel, Michael Rubini, David Briggs, Harry Nilsson, Neil Sedeka, Jimmy Rowles
Various Horns: Bud Brisbois, Buddy Childres, Ray Triscari, Ollie Mitchell, Vincent DeRosa, Dick Perissi, David Duke, Conte Candoli, Lew McCreary, Bob Edmonson, Bill Hinshaw, George Roberts, Kenny Shroyer
Various Winds: Bud Shank, Ted Nash, Ronnie Lang
Various Strings: Erno Neufeld, Antol Kaminsky, Nathan Ross, George Berres, Joseph Stepansky, Bernard Kundell, Edgar Lustgarten, Armand Karoff, Justin DiTullio, Julius Schachter, Leo Kahn, Maurice Biakin
Various Percussion: Gary Coleman, Frank DeVito, Joe Porcaro, Gene Estes, Hal Blaine, Victor Feldman, Emil Richards
Backing and harmony Vocals: Coco Dolenz on "Just A Game" and "Shorty Blackwell", Don Adrissi on "A Man Without A Dream", Ron Hicklin & Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart on "Tear Drop City" and "Through The Looking Glass"
String and Horn Arrangements: Shorty Rodgers

As with the previous two Monkees releases, even though the group had recorded dozens of tracks and demos for Instant Replay, several of the songs that ended up on it actually dated from sessions much earlier in their career.

The band's current music supervisors - Lester Sill, and now also Brendan Cahill - believed that releasing some of the previously unused tracks recorded as far back as 1966, was the way for the group to get back to the top. Especially now that they no longer had a TV show to help promote them. The reasoning behind this was that maybe they could regenerate, and hopefully recapture (at least), some of the sounds of their earlier successes. The band held always held a great song or three back for just such future planning and needs - so now was as good a time as any to revisit some of them. Continuing to follow this train of thought, the team of Boyce & Hart were once again called back to re-work a couple of their old tracks.

Along with this, for the rest of the album's material, the three remaining Monkees were again acting more as individuals - writing and producing their own songs, rather than collaborating in a group effort. This would be pretty much the story for the band's recorded output for the rest of their time together in the late '60/early 70's.

However, at least one new name would join the ranks of Monkees producers during this time period, in Bones Howe. Howe had previously engineered and produced such groups as The Turtles, The Mamas & The Papas, The Association and The 5th Dimension, and was deemed a good fit for the band. Yet despite his success with those groups, his relationship with The Monkees would only amount to two single sides and some songs for the other project the group was working on at the time.

While work on Instant Replay commenced, the group was also in the midst of putting together their first their NBC television special, 33⅓ Revolutions Per Monkee (with Peter Tork on board, fulfilling his contractual commitments), which would air a few months later in 1969. The show, produced by Jack Good, rehashed many of the ideas from Head, only with the Monkees playing a strangely second-string role among many special guest stars such as Brian Auger & Trinity, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Julie Driscoll, The Buddy Miles Express, The Clara Ward Singers, Paul Arnold and The Moon Express and the Jimmie Rodgers Dances. Being held back for many months after completion, and finally airing opposite that years Oscars, it ultimately fared as well in the ratings as Head had at the box office.

But back to the album. Admittedly, and I'm sure like many others, I was barely even aware of, let alone heard much of The Monkees recorded output post Head until well after the fact. With the exception of some of the replaced music used during the romps in later re-runs, I didn't get to really experience the band's later albums until the Monkees resurgence in 1986. Even then, it would be many years before I'd finally come to appreciate them, and such was the case with Instant Replay.

"Through The Looking Glass"- Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
The original version of this song dates back to the sessions for More Of the Monkees (and can be found on the Deluxe Edition of that CD, as well as Missing Links Vol 3), but this re-recorded take improves upon that one by some measure. Slightly slower in pace, and featuring a prominent tack piano in place of acoustic guitar, as well as an added string and horn section, this re-done version was first considered for release on The Birds The Bees And The Monkees before ultimately ending up here. Personally, I think this should have been the single off the album, but that honor went to another Boyce & Hart composition, which we'll get to later. It's also worth mentioning that there's still another version of the song, which can be found on the Deluxe Rhino Handmade edition of the album, that features added fuzz guitar, reminiscent of The Beatles "Revolution" The 'fuzz' version is my favorite out of all of them, but this one's a close second.

"Don't Listen To Linda"- Lead vocal by Davy Jones
Another Boyce & Hart track, although not their standard fare. Again, a pretty radical difference between the re-done version here and the original recorded take. This one is slower in pace with more winsome orchestration, while the other is more music hall styled and quicker. I'm really not a huge fan of either version, but it's a typical Davy-esque ballad, and it's better than some of the others he'd done.

"I Won't Be the Same Without Her"- Lead vocal by Michael Nesmith
Continuing with the older material, next up we have this gorgeous Mike sung ballad, penned by Gerry Goffin & Carole King. The tune dates back to the same 1966 recording session that produced "Sweet Young Thing" and the first recorded version of "You Just May Be The One". As such, it features Peter Tork as one of the many guitarists, although the most prominent is Glen Campbell's tremelo'd 12-string part. Part of the opening riff reminds me a bit of "To Sir, With Love", but that's ok in my book. Great backing vocals, too, but sadly no credits for who preformed them exist. It'd be a fairly safe bet, though, to think they could be Goffin & King's actual parts from the demo. It's still one of my favorites from the album, even if it is a much older song.

"Just A Game" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Penned by Micky, the seeds for this song were originally worked on, but never completed, during the sessions for Headquarters. A pretty little baroque piece, it glides by easily enough

"Me Without You"- Lead vocal by Davy Jones
A cool calliope intro kicks off the third Boyce & Hart track here. This Beatles-like track was cut during the same sessions as "P.O. Box 9847" and the re-do of "Valerie" for possible inclusion on I]The Birds The Bees And The Monkees[/I], but ultimately ended up here. As with "Through The Looking Glass", there exists an alternate version featuring prominent fuzz guitar, which gives the song a little added edge.

"Don't Wait For Me"- Lead vocal by Michael Nesmith
During sessions for Instant Replay, Mike would choose to travel to Nashville to realize a longtime ambition of working with some of the top studio aces there. Of the songs recorded at these sessions, this would be the first to see release on a Monkees album. In Mike's description - "a simple pop song" - it more clearly shows the country direction he wanted to take the band's sound in.

"You And I"- Lead vocal by Davy Jones
Davy's best outing here, and co-penned by him and frequent Monkees collaborator, Bill Chadwick. The song features some blistering guitar work from Neil Young. The lyrics also aptly sum up what was going on with the Monkees career at the time.

"While I Cry"- Lead vocal by Michael Nesmith
Another pretty Nesmith original, and standout from him on Instant Replay. Personally, I prefer when his songs go in this direction, rather than the more country flavored stuff, but most of those are still good.

"Tear Drop City"- Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Picked as the first single off the album, it's yet another song dating back to the early days of the Monkees. This Boyce & Hart track was picked specifically because it recalled the duo's first hit for the band - "Last Train To Clarksville". Although, to achieve that same feel, the song was sped up 9% from it's originally recorded tempo, and given a slight remix to boot. It was hoped the single would remind the public of the earlier hit, but it didn't quite work out that way. It only made it to #56 on the charts - not good, yet still higher than any future Monkees singles would get.

"The Girl I Left Behind Me"- Lead vocal by Davy Jones
This Neil Sedaka & Carole Bayer Sager ballad (also produced by the duo) dates back to the early days of the band, too, and is indicative of the material Davy was being given then. Nothing to special, but not terrible, either.

"A Man Without A Dream"- Lead vocal by Davy Jones
Back to back Davy tracks, and both ballads at that, can seem like a bit much. At least this Goffin & King song is infinitely better than the previous track. One of the few Bones Howe productions to make it onto a Monkees album, his style is very evident on it.

"Shorty Blackwell"- Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Closing out the album is Micky's epic to... his cat?!? Featuring a fine harmony vocal from his sister Coco, this Sgt. Pepper inspired song was something Dolenz worked on for the better part of a year. Slightly psychedelic, and grand in design and scope, the production was all Micky, too - except for the horn arrangements by another Shorty, that being Shorty Rodgers.

And now I turn it over to you.
Old 04-12-12, 07:53 AM

Great review RD!

I was never a huge fan of Instant Replay but I always really enjoyed certain songs like "Don't Wait For Me" (And thank the LORD for the inclusion of all of the Nashville tracks on the Handmade box for this--save for "Listen To The Band") and "Through The Looking Glass".

I like "Shorty Blackwell" much better now than originally.
Most of the Davy stuff on this record does nothing for me, but I like "You And I" w/Neil Young playing guitar! I sort of like "Me Without You" as well.
Old 04-12-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has always been one of my favorite albums (particularly the "A-side"), probably thanks to a babysitter of mine leaving it behind at my house in the mid '70s, where it got a lot of repeat play (making it essentially my first non-children's album).

Songs like "Don't Listen to Linda", "Just a Game" (which I think Morrissey should cover some day), and "Don't Wait for Me" are indelibly burned into my brain, and will often pop into my head even though I hadn't listened to the album recently.

When I listen to the album now, I still enjoy it through the ears of a 40-something, though I do skip a few tracks. In fact, I much more appreciate tracks like "Shorty Maxwell" now than I ever did as a kid (perhaps it was a bit too weird for my young mind).
Old 04-12-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite Monkees album cover (though the copy I grew up with had a different trio of photos in the center than the one pictured above). Sadly, that's the only thing I love about this album. The Rhino box helped me like it a bit more as I enjoyed the songs that didn't make the cut more than the ones on the album. Pretty forgettable release.
Old 04-18-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apologies for the lateness again, but here's...

The Monkees Present (also known as The Monkees Present Micky, David, Michael) - Released October 1969, Colgems Records
Is the eighth album by The Monkees. It was the second album released after the departure of Peter Tork, and the last to feature Michael Nesmith until 1996's Justus. Shortly after it's release, Nesmith announced he was leaving the Monkees to form his own group - The First National Band.

It was their last album of the band's initial run to chart, but only reached #100.

Track listing

Side 1
1. "Little Girl" (Micky Dolenz)
2. "Good Clean Fun" (Michael Nesmith)
3. "If I Knew" (Bill Chadwick/David Jones)
4. "Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye" (Micky Dolenz/Ric Klein)
5. "Never Tell A Woman Yes" (Michael Nesmith)
6. "Looking For The Good Times" (Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart)

Side 2
1. "Ladies Aid Society" (Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart)
2. "Listen To The Band" (Michael Nesmith)
3. "French Song" (Bill Chadwick)
4. "Mommy and Daddy" (Micky Dolenz)
5. "Oklahoma Backroom Dancer" (Michael Martin Murphey)
6. "Pillow Time" (Janelle Scott/Matt Willis)

Produced by Micky Dolenz, David Jones,Michael Nesmith, Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart, Bill Chadwick
Music Coordinators: Lester Sill and Brendan Cahill

Group Members - Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz and Michael Nesmith

Session musicians -
Micky Dolenz: Vocals, Acoustic guitar, Piano
Davy Jones: Vocals, Percussion
Michael Nesmith: Vocals, Guitars

The rest of the session musicians are numerous and vary by track. Amongst them are...
Guitars: Louis Shelton, Wayne Moss, Harold Bradley, Billy Sanford, Lloyd Green (Pedal Steel), David Cohen, James Burton, Wayne Erwin, Gerry McGee, Tommy Boyce, Mike Saluzzi, Frank Bugbee, Dom Demieri
Banjo: Bobby Thompson, Al Casey Sonny Osborne
Bass: Ray Pohlman, Norbert Putnam, Max Bennett, Joe Osborn, Larry Taylor
Drums: Earl Palmer, Jerry Carrigan, Hal Blaine, Billy Lewis, Eddie Hoh
Various Keyboards: David Briggs, Michael Rubini, Larry Knechtel, Bobby Hart
Various Horns: Dick Hyde, Gilbert Falco, Steve Huffsteter, Don McGinnis, Bob Jung, Dick Nash, Buddy Childres, Bud Brisbois, Ray Triscari, John Kitzmiller
Various Winds: Tim Weisberg
Harmonica: Tommy Morgan, Charlie McCoy
Various Strings: Buddy Spicher
Various Percussion: Gene Estes, Emil Richards
Backing and harmony Vocals: Coco Dolenz, Bill Chadwick, Ron Hicklin, Tommy Boyce, Bobby Hart
String and Horn Arrangements: Shorty Rodgers

By the time recording had begun in earnest for The Monkees Present, the group had passed their popularity peak, and Screen Gems cared less and less about the Monkees' activities. As a result, the members were given more control over over it's direction. The original plan was to release a double album which devoted one side to each member of the group, who by now were recording virtually as solo artists - producing, composing (for the most part) and choosing their own musical directions. However, with only three members left, and record sales waning, the decision was made to pare the album down to a single disc. Unlike Instant Replay, all but two of the songs for this outing - the warmed-up Boyce & Hart tracks from 1966 - were brand new.

The Monkees Present, even though it didn't fare as well, did have the fortune to be accompanied by a strong advertising push, that including a cross promotion with Kool-Aid. The band would also film an appearance on The Johnny Cash Show , a then new variety show that would debut on the ABC network in June of '69. Allegedly, Cash tells the group he has never enjoyed working with anyone as much as he did The Monkees.

The tour for the album (which actually started well before it's release) would even feature some unique musical backing by a seven piece R&B band called Sam & The Goodtimers. It would prove an odd marriage, but for The Monkees, this was hardly any stranger than having Jimi Hendrix as a one time opening act.

In something of a bit of a rarity for the group, the album would be preceded by two singles, with none post it's release. Since I forgot to do a separate post on them, here's the lowdown...

April 1969 would see the release of the double A-sided "Listen To The Band" / "Someday Man". "Someday Man" was a Paul Williams penned track from the Bones Howe produced sessions, and sung by Davy. It was a non-album track that only ended up reaching #81. Personally, I tend to agree with Davy's own take on the song - "It was nice, but a bit too busy". The single's other side, a Mike Nesmith original, fared somewhat better charting at #63, and would make it onto The Monkees Present. It had previously debuted on the [I]33⅓ Revolutions Per Monkee/I] TV special, although in a slightly different form. In that incarnation, the whole band (including Peter Tork on organ) performed the song, before being joined by all their special guests to end it in a bit of a freak out jam. More on that tune when we get to the album, review, though.

The second single release of "Good Clean Fun" / "Mommy And Daddy" (both on the album), would come out a month before The Monkees Present's release. Charting at #82 and #109, respectively, I'll give more insight on these tunes momentarily, as part of the overall album review.

"Little Girl" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Featuring a slight flamenco feel, courteous of guitarist Louie Shelton, this Micky penned track is a breezy little pleasantry. As would become common for Micky's productions during this time period, his sister Coco would often add noticeable backing and harmony vocals to his songs. Micky also played acoustic guitar throughout this one.

"Good Clean Fun" - Lead vocal by Michael Nesmith
Another track from Mike's Nashville recording sessions from the previous year. I was always a bit put off by the overtly country influence of this song, particularity in it's intro - however as things get rolling the song turn out fine. (I feel much the same way about the non-album track "St. Matthew".) The song itself was a bit of an inside joke to Nesmith, meant as a direct insult to a songwriting publisher who once told him in order to be successful, he had to write music that was 'good clean fun'. Incensed, as a result, he chose to write a song called "Good Clean Fun", where the title appeared nowhere in the song's lyrics. On the downside, this probably added to the song's lack of success, as people wouldn't have know what to ask DJ's for if they wanted to request hearing it.

"If I Knew" - Lead vocal by Davy Jones
Typical Davy styled ballad co-written by his frequent collaborator, Bill Chadwick. Even though this was a newer track, I find there's a decidedly older sound to the recording, in that there's a slightly muffled sound to the vocals and overall production of it. This is especially noticeable when you compare it to the next song.

"Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
The only newer song on the album to feature more than one Monkee, as Davy Jones provides backing vocals to this track. It's a decent song, but not necessarily one of my favorites of Micky's. Co-written by his friend Ric Klein.

"Never Tell A Woman Yes" - Lead vocal by Michael Nesmith
Yet another Nesmith track that embraces an old-time retro feel, recalling a bit of roaring 20's playfulness. A fun little ditty that tells the tale of a man who passes on a woman's invitation to travel with her, regrets it when he finds out she's rich, and then ultimately gets rewarded when she comes to find him after having been robbed by another man.

"Looking For The Good Times" - Lead vocal by Davy Jones
Even though it was recorded in '66, at the time of it's release on this album, and considering the Monkees prospects, some may have said that this Boyce & Hart tune was a bit too apt. Davy provides some of his most forceful singing, and Micky adds a fine harmony vocal. While not a bad song, one can tell why it stayed in the can prior to this for so long.

"Ladies Aid Society" - Lead vocal by Davy Jones
This tune was Boyce & Hart's attempt to capture the same spirit of pastoral, suburban Britain that The Kinks had done - as such, making it a perfect vehicle for Davy. There's a tad of Beatles influence to it, too. Not quite sure if they succeeded, but it works well enough.

"Listen To The Band" - Lead vocal by Michael Nesmith
The album's highlight, even if it wasn't commercially as successful as it could have been, still stands as one of the Monkees last great stabs at creativity. It, too, is from the Nashville recording sessions. While some have attributed the song's lyrics to be about the group's musical plight, and they could easily serve to be that, Nesmith saw it more as just an experiment of style and sensibility. The song also exists in at least three other different mixes than the one provided here. Four, if you count the
[I]33⅓ Revolutions Per Monkee/I] version. That one, at the beginning at least, is one of my favorite takes on the track, with Mike adding a nice little nod to Hendrix in the opening guitar riff.

"French Song" - Lead vocal by Davy Jones
Of all the Davy tracks here, this is probably his highlight. A nice, moody little atmospheric lounge song, written (again) by Bill Chadwick.

"Mommy and Daddy" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Finds Micky overtly tackling the political issue of the treatment of American Indians, as well as a variety of other subjects for the group's teen audience to ask their parents in this 'statement' song. As controversial and confrontational as the lyrics are, this is the tame version. The original lyrics (which can be heard as a bonus track on the Rhino '95 CD and current Friday Music re-issues) also touched on drug use, war, sexual reproduction, social ignorance and the JFK assassination - and did not get past the ears of Lester Sill, who flat out refused to release the song until the lyrics were toned down.

"Oklahoma Backroom Dancer" - Lead vocal by Michael Nesmith
Penned by Mike's old band-mate and friend - Michael Martin Murphey - this tune is equal parts county and groove. While not as good as his prior contribution to the band ("What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?"), it's a good tune in it's own right.

"Pillow Time" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Closing out this album is this jazzy little lullaby written by Janelle Scott & Matt Willis. Micky had original tried out a version of this song during the sessions for Headquarters, but it was more spacey and spooky. This smooth version was skillfully arranged by Shorty Rodgers.

And so would round out the end of the Monkees musical output for the year 1969, and their last material to feature Mike Nesmith for almost three decades. From here on out it gets really dicey - with only one more album to bear The Monkees name (even though they would be down to a duo), and then a rather sizable gap before any new material would surface. In the meantime, throw in with your takes on this one.
Old 04-19-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im noticing a theme along here for myself- in that I almost always like all of Mike's contributions and almost always don't care about Davy's..
Old 04-19-12, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Present isn't a great album. Like the last one it's more like 3 Lp's in 1. As stated there was no real group recording going on, each Monkee was doing his own thing without help from the others. That doesn't mean the album is garbage, it just doesn't have any unity to it.
The worst thing on the album to me is "Ladies Aid Society". It's right up there (or down there) with songs like "The Day We Fall In Love", "Your Auntie Grizelda" and "Laugh". It's almost as bad as "Kickin Stones" which remained unreleased for many years and should still be in the can. This album could have been titled "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
"Listen to the Band" is a highlight. Mike's tunes were usually the best things on the later albums and Davy's were the worst. Micky's "Mommy and Daddy" is interesting, especially the original version but musically it's weak. "Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye" is "B B B Boring". Davy's "French Song is my favorite on the album of his tunes, and "Looking for the Good Times" is a middle of the road number but not bad for an older track. It does feel out of place on this album though and shouldn't have been included.
I'm surprised Present charted it as a high as it did, probably due to the promotion and the popularity of the series which was in syndication and doing well. It's easy to see at this point why Mike left and moved on.
Old 05-08-12, 09:59 PM

Are we done or are we going to discuss Changes, Pool It! and Justus?
Old 05-09-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I've just been sidetracked for the last couple of weeks. Lot of other things keeping me occupied at home, etc. I'll try to see if I can get to Changes later today.
Old 05-09-12, 01:45 PM

Understandable, i was just checking
Old 05-10-12, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He'll also want to touch on "Then & Now" or at least the 3 new songs that came off that album as well.
Old 05-10-12, 07:27 AM

That's a good idea. "That Was Then, This Is Now" was The Monkees first top 40 hit in 18 years! Also might want to discuss the Missing Links series or the Live 1967 cd.
Old 05-10-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After much delay, here you go kids...

Changes - Released June 1970, Colgems Records
Is the ninth studio album by The Monkees. The album was issued after Michael Nesmith's exit from the band, leaving only Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones to fulfill the recording contract they signed in the mid-1960s. Changes was the last album by the group until 1987's Pool It, 17 years later.

Changes failed to chart on it's initial release, and was the first Monkees album with this dubious distinction. As such, initial printings were extremely limited. The album would, however, eventually chart when it was reissued in December 1986 by Rhino Records, as were all of the original Monkees albums that year, and made a belated entry into the Billboard album charts, reaching #152. Despite the album's lack of chart success, all tracks except "You're So Good To Me" and "It's Got To Be Love" would end up being featured on the CBS reruns of The Monkees from 1970–1972.

Track listing

Side 1
1. "Oh My My" (Jeff Barry, Andy Kim)
2. "Ticket On A Ferry Ride" (Jeff Barry, Bobby Bloom)
3. "You're So Good To Me" (Jeff Barry, Bobby Bloom)
4. "It's Got To Be Love" (Neil Goldberg)
5. "Acapulco Sun" (Ned Albright, Steven Soles)
6. "99 Pounds" (Jeff Barry)

Side 2
1. "Tell Me Love" (Jeff Barry)
2. "Do You Feel It Too?" (Jeff Barry, Andy Kim)
3. "I Love You Better" (Jeff Barry, Andy Kim)
4. "All Alone In The Dark" (Ned Albright, Steven Soles)
5. "Midnight Train" (Micky Dolenz)
6. "I Never Thought It Peculiar" (Tommy Boyce, Bobby Hart)

Produced by Jeff Barry, Micky Dolenz, Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart
Music Coordinator: Brendan Cahill

Group Members - Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones

Session musicians -
Micky Dolenz: Vocals
Davy Jones: Vocals

Because most of the album's music was per-assembled by Jeff Barry in New York before the Monkees involvement, the actual session musician credits were lost, and little to no information remains on who played on them. These are the only known exceptions, as these tracks were all recorded prior to 1970...

"99 Pounds" - Al Gorgoni, Don Thomas & Hugh McCracken (guitars), Lou Mauro (bass), Artie Butler (organ), Stan Free (clavinet), Herb Lovelle (drums), Tom Cerone (tambourine)

"Midnight Train" - Coco Dolenz (backing vocals), Louie Shelton (guitar), James Burton (banjo), Tommy Morgan (harmonica), Joe Osborn (bass), Hal Blaine (drums)

"I Never Thought It Peculiar" - Ron Hicklin, Bobby Hart & Tommy Boyce (backing vocals), Tommy Boyce, Wayne Erwin, Gerry McGee & Louie Shelton (guitars), Larry Taylor (bass), Billy Lewis (drums), Gene Estes (bells), Jay Migliori, Dick Hyde, Chuck Findley and Alan Robinson (horns), Harold Ayres, Joy Lule, John DeVoogdt, Norman Serkin, Jimmy Getzoff, Fredrick Seykora, William Hymanson & Gary Nuttycombe (strings)

Now down to just the duo of Mickey Dolenz and Davy Jones, The Monkees soldiered on for one final album of their initial career run, with Changes. (The joke had now become that either Jones or Dolenz would next leave The Monkees and the remaining member would record the next album as "The Monkee".) Essentially, Changes was pretty much just a contractual filler.

Even though they the remaining duo had more than an album's worth of music in the can from previous sessions, it was decided they should record new material - and the way to do this was to reunite with producer Jeff Barry, whom they had last worked with on the sessions for More Of the Monkees. Barry would pluck his own produced outtake of his composition "99 Pounds" from that era to use on the new album, but most of the rest of the songs were provided by himself and other artists form his Steed Records stable - Andy Kim, Bobby Bloom and Steven Soles. These songs were produced fairly quickly, and as such have a very assembly line feel to them.

Changes is seen very differently by the two Monkees who made it. As far as Micky Dolenz was concerned - "I was quite happy to do it as long as somebody wanted to record me. It was as simple as that." For Davy Jones, on the other hand, it remains his least favorite album of The Monkees catalog. In his words - "That was not really a Monkees album. It was Jeff Barry and Andy Kim doing an Andy Kim album, but Andy Kim couldn't get it sold, so they took his voice off of it, and put us on it. Overall, I have bad memories of making it."

So how about that music?

"Oh My My" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Was the first single released off the album, and just barely cracked the Top 100 coming in at #98. It was also accompanied by a rare promo film directed by Micky Dolenz, showing Micky and Davy Jones riding their motorcycles and horses. It's definitely one of the stronger tracks off the album, but also a different flavor for the groups sound.

"Ticket On A Ferry Ride" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Is also not too bad of a breezy little number, with a slight R&B feel.

"You're So Good To Me" - Lead vocal by Davy Jones
Davy finally at bat on the album, but it's more of swing and a miss. The song tries to be groovy and a bit funky, but doesn't really succeed.

"It's Got To Be Love" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
This could be almost anyone on AM radio in the early 70's. Micky's vocal attempts to raise it above being faceless, but the song just can't be saved.

"Acapulco Sun" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
If you didn't know better, one could almost mistake this for being a Mike Nesmith penned track, as it's very much in a style similar to his writing, especially of latter day Monkees output. That, or early Jimmy Buffett. The song was, however, released as a single in Mexico, becoming a minor hit there

"99 Pounds" - Lead vocal by Davy Jones
As previously mentioned, this one hails from the Barry produced Monkees Sessions of '67. Staring out, it comes on with a riff out of the Creedence Clearwater Revival songbook, before a slight change up. It's a good rocker, and one of the better ones for Jones, who gets in a few good screams.

"Tell Me Love" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Another kind of faceless soul styled ballad by Micky, whose blandness just doesn't work for me.

"Do You Feel It Too?" - Lead vocal by Davy Jones
Weak, just weak.

"I Love You Better" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
In sort of the same vein as "Oh My My", but on a more upbeat tip. One of the few Barry/Kim tracks on the album that I actually like.

"All Alone In The Dark" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Kind of music hall, kind of zany. Not sure if this one exactly works for me, but it's not as bad as some of the other tracks on the album.

"Midnight Train" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Micky's sole penned album cut. Kind of a C.W. McCall-esque track, in a storytelling country style, but it's also one of my favorites here. As with a lot of Micky's later period work, it feature his sister Coco on harmony backing vocals.

"I Never Thought It Peculiar" - Lead vocal by Davy Jones
Boyce & Hart's last outing on a Monkees album, also dates back to '66 (originally) with further sweetening done in '69. Not typical of most of their other work, but to me at least, easy to see why it stayed in the can so long. it's a fairly rote Davy type tune, but not one of his best.

And there you pretty much have it. A few other tracks were recorded for the album, but for various reasons were replaced or left off of release of Changes. Two of these - "Ride Baby Ride" and "Which Way (Do You Want It)" remain a complete mystery with no credits nor tapes available for review. "Time and Time Again", was dropped in favor of "I Never Thought It Peculiar" but later surfaced on the Monkees rarities collection Missing Links and subsequently (in remixed form) as a bonus track on the 1995 CD release of Changes.

The real gem, however, that should have made it onto the album (and perhaps would have changed it's fortunes) was the song "Steam Engine". Written and produced by Chip Douglas, featuring Micky Dolenz on vocals, the song was not released at the time due to a disagreement between Screen Gems and Douglas over session costs. It only saw the light of day via the Monkees' TV series episode "Monkees on Tour." In 1979, it was finally issued on the semi-official Australian compilation album Monkeemania - 40 Timeless Hits, and in 1982 it was issued in the USA on the Rhino Records picture disc Monkee Business. It could have been the last great Monkees singles, and was certainly one of the best tracks produced by the group in it's latter days.

So would end the first phase of The Monkees recording career. Aside from a lone single recorded by the Dolenz/Jones duo - "Do It In The Name Of Love" b/w "Lady Jane" - released in September 1970, this would be the last "official" Monkees output for 16 years. (Not counting Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart in '76.) As for that single, instead of appearing under the "Monkees" name on Colgems Records, however, the single was released on Bell Records, the successor label to Colgems, and credited to "Mickey Dolenz (sic) and Davy Jones". This was due to the prohibitive costs of licensing the Monkees name in the US; however, in several other countries, the record was issued as the Monkees.

Aside from TV re-runs, the boys would not be heard from again for a very long time. But when they were, it would be nothing short of Monkeemania all over again.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 05-11-12 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-11-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was the last studio album I got (literally a month or so ago). Going in with no expectations, I really didn't like it at all. You could barely even hear Micky or Davy singing half the time, the songs are bland.. A sad (at the time) end for the Monkees.
Old 05-11-12, 02:27 PM

Changes could have been an album by almost anybody, Andy Kim, Robin Macnamara, Tommy James, Tommy Roe..The Banana Splits etc. The songs are uninspired and dull. At this point in time Davy and Micky pretty much hit bottom. The Monkees as a band were over. They both consider it the low point of their recording careers. Not saying it's all garbage because there are a few good tunes there.
"Oh My My" is decent and deserved better than #98 on the hot 100 chart. "Ticket On A Ferry Ride" is good. "Midnight Train" isn't bad, i like the alternate version better than this one. "It's Got To Be Love" is Micky's worst one on the album. "99 Pounds" would have fit better on an earlier album, it shouldn't have been included here. It's not hard to see why the album didn't chart when originally released. Davy's solo lp on Bell released in 1971 was a step up from this. Although according to Davy they were more interested in the Partridge Family than in him. It did have some good tunes on it and was just recently released on cd with bonus tracks.
Old 05-11-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveM4964
Changes could have been an album by almost anybody, Andy Kim, Robin Macnamara, Tommy James, Tommy Roe..The Banana Splits etc. The songs are uninspired and dull. At this point in time Davy and Micky pretty much hit bottom. The Monkees as a band were over. They both consider it the low point of their recording careers. Not saying it's all garbage because there are a few good tunes there.
"Oh My My" is decent and deserved better than #98 on the hot 100 chart. "Ticket On A Ferry Ride" is good. "Midnight Train" isn't bad, i like the alternate version better than this one. "It's Got To Be Love" is Micky's worst one on the album. "99 Pounds" would have fit better on an earlier album, it shouldn't have been included here. It's not hard to see why the album didn't chart when originally released. Davy's solo lp on Bell released in 1971 was a step up from this. Although according to Davy they were more interested in the Partridge Family than in him. It did have some good tunes on it and was just recently released on cd with bonus tracks.
Gotta agree about the alternate version of "Midnight Train" - I prefer that one, too. I'd also echo your comments about Davy Jones '71 album. I still have to pick that new CD up, though.
Old 05-11-12, 08:01 PM

I haven't bought it yet either. It's on my amazon list. I have the original album but it's a little scratchy so i'm looking forward to hear the new cd.
Old 05-24-12, 06:58 PM

Summer's here, great time to discuss Pool It!.
Old 05-25-12, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My copy of the new deluxe reissue should be arriving today! I can finally get rid of my old VHS copy of "Heart & Soul".
Old 05-26-12, 06:34 AM

Good deal! Give us a review when you get it. It's on my wish list. I have the original LP still in shrinkwrap. I remember buying it at Camelot Music at the mall when it first came out. I also have the Heart and Soul Vhs.I've heard the dvd was made directly from the vhs source so i'm curious how it looks.
Old 05-26-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haven't listened to the CD, but yeah, it looks like no effort was put into the DVD. I'm even considering keeping my VHS to compare.. it can't be any worse. But I think by the end I just got used to the quality because it didn't bother me as much. I heard there was more material from the time as well that was left off the CD (considering I already had the live MGBGT on their tour CD). I guess it's nice to own, but it didn't impress me as much as I'd hoped. Of course if you don't already have the album, it's a must buy, as long as you like the '80's!

Here's to hoping when they get to "Justus" that it has a DVD of the special episode they did at the time. The only time I saw it was when it aired!
Old 05-26-12, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the report, pretty much what i expected. I understand that the Justus cd/dvd combo will have the mini concert the foursome performed at Billboard. I think they performed about 7 or 8 songs. The 97 special "Hey Hey We're The Monkees" i don't think will be included. Michael Nesmith owns it and he recently commented on Facebook that he is "reconfiguring it" for potential release. I recorded it on vhs when it originally aired and later burned it to dvd-r.
Old 05-27-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Many apologies again for the delay. My life has just been too damn busy lately. Anyway, before we get to Pool It!, and as someone else wisely suggested, it would only be fair to discuss this next album, due to it's inclusion of three new songs on it...

Then and Now... the Best of The Monkees - Released June 1986, Arista Records
This compilation album contained the first new music from The Monkees in 16 years.

In 1986, the year that would mark the 20th anniversary of The Monkees, MTV (then only five years old) worked out a deal with Bert Schneider, current owner of The Monkees TV series, to dust off the old show and give it a marathon re-airing. Dubbed "Pleasant Valley Sunday", the marathon of all 58 episodes of The Monkees aired on February 23 of that year, and proved a massive ratings success, attracting the largest ratings in the cable channel's (then) history. As a result, MTV began running episodes of the show daily, and would repeat the marathon later in the year.

Around the same time, promoter David Fishof approached Peter Tork with the idea of reforming The Monkees for a "20th Anniversary Tour". Fishof had struck gold the year prior with a nostalgia tour of The Turtles, and figured The Monkees, would do even better. Tork was very receptive, and after a round or three of negotiations, Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz signed on, too. The only holdout was Mike Nesmith. Although he had interest in doing the tour, other aspects of his business life would have left him with only limited time to participate, so he opted out.

And thus, with the stars and everything else seemingly aligned, Monkeemania began again. By June of 1986, The resurrected group began playing small theaters, which quickly grew to larger and larger venues, eventually becoming one of the biggest live acts of 1986 and 1987. Rhino Records would re-issue their early catalog, and the original albums began selling, and charting, again. And, this new greatest hits collection would be issued with three new songs, which would ultimately reach platinum status.

Track listing

Due to the fact that this is a compilation, and we've pretty much already discussed most of the material on it via the individual albums the songs came from, for this outing we're only going to cover the new tracks, which were...

1) "That Was Then, This Is Now" (Vance Brescia)
2) "Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere" (Hart/Eastman)
3) "Kicks" (Mann/Weil)

Produced by Michael Llyod

Group Members - Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork

Session musicians -
Micky Dolenz: Vocals
Peter Tork: Vocals

The rest of the session musicians are..
Jim Cox - Piano
Michael Llyod - Synthesizer, backing vocals
Laurence Juber - Guitar
Dennis Belfield & Dean Parks - Bass
Paul Leim - Drums

Technically, these new tracks only feature Micky on lead vocals with only a small amount of participation from Peter. Davy, due to some ill will with Arista, and feeling it was a bad deal, refused to be involved with these new recordings. (Subsequently, on tour, he would leave the stage when the new songs were performed.)

Said Micky on the recordings of these tracks - "When Arista found out we were going on tour they came to us individually and said -'Do you want to record some new songs? We're putting together a compilation album, and we'd like some new songs for it.' I thought it was a marvelous opportunity. I thought it was a a done deal. I said, 'I'll want more money'. They said, 'Fine, we'll renegotiate on the new tunes.' Then I heard that Davy and Peter weren't making a deal. They weren't returning phone calls. With Peter, it was 'I don't like this song' - the same old stuff. I certainly wasn't going to put the kibosh on the deal beacuse of Peter or Davy's problems, though. That wouldn't have been right. Eventually Peter only showed up at the sessions out of my badgering".

As for Jones - "I was a very angry at Arista coming in and cashing in on our project. They had no interest in the Monkees career beyond that year; they just wanted to sell old records". One of his other objections was that he wanted the group to have more creative control over this new music. He felt the way these new songs were being handled was essentially putting them in the same situation they had fought so hard to escape many years before.

As a result of all this, when the album and single came out, some copies credit the new songs to "the Monkees", while others as "Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork (of the Monkees).

And as for those songs...

"That Was Then, This Is Now" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Was the single released off the album, and reached #20 on the charts - the group's first Top 20 hit since "D.W. Washburn" some 18 years earlier. Originally recorded by the band The Mosquitos (of which songwriter Vance Brescia was a member), it's an upbeat and catchy, if not lightweight, pop tune. At the time of it's release, I absolutely loved it. Maybe because I was just so happy to have a new Monkees song out. Now however, it, and these other tracks, all sound very dated. Even more so than most of their original 60's material. In it's title and lyrics, however, it did do a nice job of summing up the Monkees then current situation.

"Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Reunited the group with Bobby Hart, who co-wrote the song. It's a breezy and inoffensive ditty, but nothing about it particularly stands out, either. It's the kind of faceless, could be anybody material they were doing on Changes, just updated for the next decade.

"Kicks" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
The last of the new songs was a remake of this Barry Mann And Cynthia Weil written track, and the second time the group would record a song that had previously been done by Paul Revere and The Raiders. ("(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" being the first.) I don't know what exactly the thinking was on this one. Maybe somebody thought it was an easier way of cashing in on 60's nostalgia, or perhaps someone thought since they had already had a bigger hit of a tune previously done by The Raiders, then it would somehow work again? Well, it didn't. It's a passable cover, but that's about all I can credit it with.

The only other thing I would be remiss not to discuss in relation to Then and Now... the Best of The Monkees, was that there was one other single released off of it; just not of new music. A remix of "Daydream Believer", was also issued as a single and re-entered the charts some 19 years later, this time hitting #79.

Ultimately, the success of the tour and second coming of Monkeemania would lead to a new album, and that'll be up next for review. Sometime, if not soon. And, if anyone cares to not wait, and take the reins for that one, you have my blessing to do so. Just saying.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 05-27-12 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-27-12, 10:47 PM

I bought Then and Now on Lp when it first came out and then later on Cd. I was thrilled when The Monkees reunited in 86. At that point i had been a fan since 1969. I bought the 45 "That Was Then, This Is Now" and played it constantly. I voted for the video on Mtv week after week until Mtv retired it because no other artist could beat them. I watched the marathons, the Monkees guest Vj appearances and i loved the christmas medley video with a surprise appearance by Nez.
I went to see them live in 86 and 87. It was great seeing Mike join them at The Greek Theater for "Listen To The Band" and "Pleasant Valley Sunday". Monkee Mania was alive and well and i was happy just seeing a new Monkees album in the stores. "That Was Then, This Is Now" is a nice solid pop record. It sounds better on record than when they performed it live. It felt stale and strictly by the numbers in concert. "Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere" i sort of liked when i first heard it, but it's one of those "blah" kind of songs, not bad but nothing memorable.
When i first looked at the cover and saw "Kicks" i thought wow The Monkees could do a killer version of the Paul Revere and The Raiders classic! Well, this isn't it. It's flat, uninspired and plain boring. A weak finish to an Lp of classic Monkee tunes mixed with some new material.
Old 05-27-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveM4964
I bought Then and Now on Lp when it first came out and then later on Cd. I was thrilled when The Monkees reunited in 86. At that point i had been a fan since 1969. I bought the 45 "That Was Then, This Is Now" and played it constantly. I voted for the video on Mtv week after week until Mtv retired it because no other artist could beat them. I watched the marathons, the Monkees guest Vj appearances and i loved the christmas medley video with a surprise appearance by Nez.
I went to see them live in 86 and 87.
All of that, was me, too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.