Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Album By Album Thread - The Monkees

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Album By Album Thread - The Monkees

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Album By Album Thread - The Monkees

Absolutely.. I love "Tapioca Tundra"- my favorite off the album! As for "Magnolia Simms", I think if it weren't Mike/The Monkees.. I might have found it a little annoying. lol But it's got a charm on the album for sure.
Old 03-29-12, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank the Lord for the re-configuring of the lineup or we wouldn't have heard "Auntie's Municipal Court" all these years! That's a very strong track! Always used to confuse me because I wasn't sure if it was Mike or Micky, and it turns out they both were singing on it.
Old 03-29-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveM4964
I like the song too, but i prefer Tapoica Tundra which has a similar feel to it. I think it's a far superior song although i'm surprised it snuck into the top 40 as a B-side.
Originally Posted by reverie
Absolutely.. I love "Tapioca Tundra"- my favorite off the album! As for "Magnolia Simms", I think if it weren't Mike/The Monkees.. I might have found it a little annoying. lol But it's got a charm on the album for sure.
Me, too. I respect what he was trying to do with "Magnolia Simms", but overall, it just doesn't move me as much. I remember as a kid, I got the 45 before I got the album - and back then I always thought "Tapioca Tundra" was not only a weird title, but kind of a weird song. My childish ears were too young to fully understand what Nesmith was trying to put across. Now, however, I absolutely love that song! In fact, it's the one tune that's been stuck in my head most since listening to the album to do the write-up on it.

Originally Posted by HUG-H
Thank the Lord for the re-configuring of the lineup or we wouldn't have heard "Auntie's Municipal Court" all these years! That's a very strong track! Always used to confuse me because I wasn't sure if it was Mike or Micky, and it turns out they both were singing on it.
And these days, that is the other song off the album (hits aside) that I've come to really appreciate far more than I used to. Just quality music that not only sounds of, but somehow manages to transcend, it's time period. I'm sure it would have likely ended up on Instant Replay if it didn't make the cut for Birds. It would have felt right at home there, as well.
Old 03-29-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still a few days before we begin tackling Head, but before releasing the soundtrack to that movie, the band issued another pair of songs as a single only...

"D.W. Washburn"/ "It's Nice To Be With You"
- I'll be right up front and say this is not one of my favorite Monkees songs/singles. In regards to the A-side - I never understood the reason behind the group covering this Lieber & Stoller song. While not necessarily a terrible song, it does remain a bit of a head-scratcher in it's selection. I always thought it was not only an odd song choice, but also not a very good one. While stylistically, the old-time feel is not too far off from what Mike Nesmith was doing with "Magnolia Simms", it just never felt like a good fit. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who saw it that way, as it was first Monkees single not to reach #1, or even the Top 10. It only got as far as #19 - practically an outright failure as far as the A-side to single releases for the group had gone.

Part of this, was because at the time of it's release in June of '68, the TV show was now over, so it didn't get the same type of promotion other singles had gotten via that vehicle. Another factor was that there was a competing version of the song out by The Coasters - who had actually recorded the song almost a year earlier, but hadn't released it yet.

Ultimately, even the person whose idea it had been to have the Monkees record and release "D.W. Washburn" - Lester Sill - came to the realization that it had been a mistake to do so. By then, however, it was already too late.

The B-side is nothing to write home about, either. Written by Jerry Goldstein, "It's Nice To Be With You" is a treacly type of Davy ballad that seems like an outtake from the Don Kirshner days of the first two albums - even though it was recorded only a few months before it's release. This is one that could have stayed in the can, especially as Davy was coming up with far better material of his own at this time.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 03-29-12 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-29-12, 10:34 PM

^ Not the best tracks, but I have a much easier time with "It's Nice To Be With You" than either "The Day We Fall In Love" or "If I Learned To Play the Violin" to be honest. To me it sounds like a slower "Dream World" if that makes any sense.
"DW Washburn" is something that would have made a better B-side than A-side. Maybe this would have been okay if they'd put it on the flip side of "Valleri".
Old 03-29-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"DW Washburn" is something that would have made a better B-side than A-side. Maybe this would have been okay if they'd put it on the flip side of "Valleri".
True, but then "Tapioca Tundra" wouldn't have gotten the chance to be a hit.
Old 03-30-12, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Washburn remains a mystery to me because i will never understand why it was released as an A or B side! It's a testament to the groups popularity that it managed to break into the top 20. Horrible choice for a single release.
Old 03-30-12, 11:57 AM

Here's The Coasters' version:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SCVuIPv3nZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-30-12, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
True, but then "Tapioca Tundra" wouldn't have gotten the chance to be a hit.
I would have been okay with that, after all, better Nesmith songs than that were never hits.
Old 04-01-12, 10:27 AM

Here's a link for the stereo track of Magnolia Simms without the dubbed effects. Personally i like it better this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4h5nLjukG0
Old 04-01-12, 06:54 PM

^ Cool, I saw this last night!
It's not "the" stereo mix that's on the BB&M box, it's an alternate mix sans the horns, but still interesting to hear!

At the risk of being redundant, I thought I'd embed it for you.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k4h5nLjukG0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-01-12, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the help. I like this mix. I haven't heard the one on the boxset. I waited until the price was too high. Maybe Spotify will add it someday.
Old 04-01-12, 09:25 PM

^ I hope you find a cheap copy of it eventually. I was just listening to it, and the other things of great interest for me on there are the acoustic versions of "Magnolia" and "Tapioca Tundra" and a version of "My Share of The Sidewalk" sung by Nesmith. The 3rd disc is the killer disc of the collection with all the cool rare stuff (although Disc 2 does have the mono master of the full album and a few mono mixes of single sides and outtakes).

Last edited by HUG-H; 04-01-12 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-01-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the help. I like this mix. I haven't heard the one on the boxset. I waited until the price was too high. Maybe Spotify will add it someday.
^ I hope you find a cheap copy of it eventually. I was just listening to it, and the other things of great interest for me on there are the acoustic versions of "Magnolia" and "Tapioca Tundra" and a version of "My Share of The Sidewalk" sung by Nesmith. The 3rd disc is the killer disc of the collection with all the cool rare stuff (even though the mono master of the full album is on Disc 2).
As do I, as well as me finding one for myself. It was one of those things where I just put it off, and by the time I got around to it, they were sold out. Someone was kind enough to make a copy of the Disc 2 for me, so at least I've heard what's on that, but that's all. I'd really like to have the whole thing, in it's entirety, though.

Thanks for the posts above of "Magnolia", though. Very cool. I,too, like it better than the album version.

Wanted to do Head tonight, but the day did not go as planned, so I haven't had time to quite get it ready. It'll have to be sometime tomorrow, so sorry for the delay.
Old 04-01-12, 10:26 PM

^ Very glad you didn't say "give" instead! #couldnotresist
Old 04-03-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry for the delay on this one, but we now bring you...

Head - Released December 1968, Colgems Records.
Is the sixth album album by The Monkees, and the soundtrack to the band's first and only theatrical release of the same name. It was their last album to feature Peter Tork until 1987's Pool It!, and the last to feature all four Monkees until 1996's Justus.

The album charted for 15 weeks, reaching a high of #45. It was originally supposed to be be issued a month earlier to coincide with the film's release, but was delayed to manufacturing defecting in the album's elaborate cover. Apparently, the surface of aluminized PET film, meant to reflect the listener's "head" (face) back at him, was, according to Micky Dolenz, "actually ruining the printing presses at RCA". Later pressings would use different material to avoid these issues.

Track listing

Side 1
1. "Opening Ceremony" [film dialogue]
2. "Porpoise Song (Theme from "Head")" (Gerry Goffin, Carole King)
3. "Ditty Diego – War Chant" (Jack Nicholson, Bob Rafelson)
4. "Circle Sky" (Michael Nesmith)
5. "Supplicio" [film dialogue]
6. "Can You Dig It" (Peter Tork)
7. "Gravy" [film dialogue]

Side 2
1. "Superstitious" [film dialogue]
2. "As We Go Along" (Carol King, Toni Stern)
3. "Dandruff?" [film dialogue]
4. "Daddy's Song" (Harry Nilsson)
5. "Poll" [film dialogue; voices of Frank Zappa and Victor Mature]
6. "Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again" (Peter Tork)
7. "Swami – Plus Strings, Etc." (Ken Thorne)

Produced by The Monkess, except "Porpoise Song" by Gerry Goffin
Album Coordinator: Jack Nicholson

Group Members - Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz, Peter Tork and Michael Nesmith

Session musicians -
Michael Nesmith: Vocals, Guitars, Electric Organ
Davy Jones: Vocals, Maracas
Micky Dolenz: Vocals
Peter Tork: Vocals, Electric guitar

The rest of the session musicians are numerous and vary by track. Amongst them are...
Guitars : Keith Allison, Bill Chadwick, Ry Cooder, Ken Bloom, Carole King, Danny Kortchmar, Stephen Stills, Lance Wakely, Neil Young
Bass: Richard Dey, John Gross, Douglas Lubahn, Harvey Newmark, Lance Wakely
Drums: Eddie Hoh, Dewey Martin, Earl Palmer,
Various Keyboards: Michael Rubini, Leon Russell, Ralph Shuckett,
Various Horns: Pete Candoli, Marion Childers, William Hinshaw, Jules Jacob, Richard Leith, Lewis McCreary, Anthony Terran,
Various Strings: Gregory Bemko, Max Bennett, Justin Ditullio, David Filerman, Clyde Hoggan, James Hughart, Jan Kelly, Raphael Kramer, Jacqueline Lustgarten, Emmet Sargent, Eleanor Slatkin, Jerry Scheff
Various Percussion: Dennis Bruce, Brendan Cahill, Michael A. Glass
Flute: Unknown on ("As We Go Along"

Arrangement on "Porpoise Song" and "As We Go Along" - Jack Nitzsche
Conductor on "Porpoise Song" - Russ Titelman

The movie Head came about about near the end of the second season of The Monkees television show in 1968, and was released later in the year after the series cancellation. This first feature film was produced by Monkee producers Bert Schneider and Bob Rafelson. It was directed by Rafelson, and co-written with him by a then relatively unknown actor named Jack Nicholson. (Although uncredited, all four Monkees helped contribute ideas for it at a weekend retreat with the producers and Nicholson). Originally to be titled Changes, and then Untitled, it ultimately became known as Head.

A fever-dream of a movie, Head has no real discernible plot. Rather, it follows a stream of consciousness style of rotating film genres, that alludes to the Monkees tale of manufacture, trying to deal with it, yet being unable to escape it - all the while utterly trying to destroy the mythos of it. The group and the producers all wanted something that was completely different from the staleness the TV show was becoming, and they got it. For the kids, this was not. The movie was savaged by the critics upon release and bombed commercially. A sparse and befuddling advertising campaign (with no mention of the Monkees) certainly didn't help it. After time, though, the movie became a cult hit, and many critics changed their opinion of it. The film, and the accompanying soundtrack, are now seen by many as one of as one of the crowning achievements of the band. There's a lot more to the making and story of the movie, but that's a whole other discussion.

As for the film's soundtrack, it was assembled by Jack Nicholson, conceived and edited in much the same stream of consciousness style flow of the movie. The Head album, innovative for it's time, intersperses six proper songs, with bits of Ken Thorne's incidental music, dialogue fragments from the movie and oddball sound effects.

Some of these songs were chosen specifically for the movie, while others were amongst material the band had been working on since earlier in the year (or longer).

"Opening Ceremony"
Combines part of the audio portion of the film's trailer advertisement, with snippets of dialog and music from throughout the film, and it's opening scene. these lead directly into the movie's opening theme song...

"Porpoise Song (Theme from "Head")" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Written by Gerry Goffin & Carole King, the song was also the single off the album, reached #62 on the Billboard Hot 100, in late '68. The song’s lyrics (some, a veiled in-joke reference to Dolenz’s childhood work as the star of the television series Circus Boy) and melody is pure psychedelic '60s. Featuring a masterful production by Goffin, and stunning orchestral arrangement by Jack Nitzsche, it's unfortunate that the version present here is an edit, as these can be better heard on the longer single version. Ranking as one of the best Monkees productions, it would later be covered by artists as diverse as Bongwater, Trouble, The Wondermints, The Lightning Seeds, The Church, DJ Nobody, ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead and Andrew WK.

"Ditty Diego – War Chant" - Vocals Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork, Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones
Bookend-ed by more movie dialog, this re-write parody of the Monkees TV theme show basically lays out what the film's story in it's lyrics. (Sort of.) In keeping with the feel of the film, the version contained here has the group's vocals vari-speeded for an off kilter effect.

"Circle Sky" - Lead vocal by Michael Nesmith
Although one of the film's highlights is a rousing live concert performance of this song (filmed from a performance in Salt Lake City, Utah), for an unexplained reason, this studio version was substituted in it's stead. This has long been a point of contention, as different camps saw it's happening in different ways. Tork saw it as yet another example of Nesmith trying to wield a power play. Nemsmith, however, completely denies this, saying it was out of his hands, and that the live recorded version is superior to any studio take. The live version as heard in the film, was added as a bonus track to the '94 remaster and deluxe Rhino Handmade editions of the album (as were other alternate versions of songs here.

"Supplicio"
More movie dialog, serving to move things along...

"Can You Dig It" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
Peter Tork may have been persona non grata on The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees, but he more than made up for that absence on Head. Written by him, and originally featuring his vocals, this version (wisely) has Micky on lead, instead. This raga themed song - which accompanies a similar style dance sequence in the movie - was inspired by Tork's study of the Tao Te Ching, and is the first of two outstanding cuts by him here.

"Gravy"
Small snippet of Davy Jones dialog from the movie

"Superstitious"
More film dialog. This one featuring the voices of actors David Manners and Bela Lugosi from the movie The Black Cat, a clip of which is used in Head.

"As We Go Along" - Lead vocals by Micky Dolenz
The second standout composition by Carole King (co-written with Toni Stern), features some stellar musicians. Amongst the featured guitarists (including King, herself) are Ry Cooder, Danny Kortchmar and Neil Young - all of whom would go onto further success of their own. Aside from being one of my own all-time favorite Monkees tracks, the song is also one of Dolenz's; even though he had difficulty learning to sing the song's odd time structure.

"Dandruff?"
More snippets of movie dialog, but containing one of my favorite lines form the film - "The tragedy of your times, my young friends, is that you may get exactly what you want".

"Daddy's Song" - Lead vocal by Davy Jones
A Harry Nilsson penned song, that's similar to, and kind of a cross between, his songs "Cuddly Toy" and "Best Friend" (the theme from The Courtship of Eddie's Father). Previously recorded in a session with Mike singing the lead vocals, they were later turned over to Davy for a showpiece in the movie (fearing a dance sequence between Jones and choreographer Toni Basil, later of "Mickey" fame). Like many of the tracks here, there exist alternate versions of the song, as well as the one with Nesmith's vocals. There's also a longer take with a slow Davy section, that can be heard on the Music Box set, and the the deluxe Handmade edition.

"Poll"
More movie dialog. This time featuring excerpts (and favorite lines) from Frank Zappa, Timothy Carey, Victor Mature, Nesmith, Jones, Tork and others.

"Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again" - Lead vocals by Peter Tork
What would amount to Peter's last recorded appearance on a Monkees album for many years, it's also one of his best, and features a great guitar solo from him. While even I am usually not a fan of his vocals, they work well here - and even if he wasn't the best singer, he proved to at least be a credible songwriter. His friend Lance Wakely is on bass and Buffalo Springfiled's Dewy Martin is on drums - the same line-up as heard on "Can You Dig It". As mentioned in the last album review, this was considered for release on that album, but held back to be featured here. By year's end of '68, Tork would leave the band - not with a bang or even a whimper, but with a shrug. With his contract expired, and not getting what he wanted out of the group, he'd simply had enough, and decided it was time to move on.

"Swami – Plus Strings, Etc."
Closing out the album more movie dialog and musical snippets, followed up with Ken Thorne's film closing credits music. For the final time, the last thing you hear is the laugh of actress Carol Doda - who in the film, makes this giggle after Mike whispers something in her ear following a kissing contest scene between the four Monkees. Jack must have really liked it, as this was the third time he used it on the album. (And actually, in the movie, I always did too, but I think it get's a bit much here.)

What's surprising, yet also in a good way, is how well the soundtrack works outside of the context of the movie. Of course it's better if you have seen the film, but you don't need to to enjoy it as an experience unto itself. Many people even rank Head as, or among, their favorite of all Monkees album releases.

Now let's see what you've all got to say about it.
Old 04-03-12, 10:52 PM

^ Great review RD! Thanks for posting it!

The Head soundtrack really feels much more at times like an EP than an album to me as it's so brief and really only features 6 full songs by The Monkees. The soundbites of the dialogue from the film used on the album sometimes has inspired people to regard the LP as a separate work of art from the film, especially in spots where quotes like "Quick, suck it before the venom reaches my heart!" is intercut with Micky's line "Ok, I will!". I think Tork admitted he liked that.

I was so excited to get the Rhino CD when the remasters for the 30th anniversary came out--I never owned a copy or even heard the album until I got it. Not my favorite album, but I love "Porpoise Song" (Prefer the single version), "As We Go Along", "Daddy's Song" and "Circle Sky". The weird thing about "Circle Sky" is that even though it's the Nesmith-recorded version from late '67, I prefer this one over the live take the band did. I don't care that you can barely hear Mike's vocal, it's a great rocker with feedback at the end--on a Monkees record!
Old 04-06-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the Head soundtrack but it does suffer from lack of total songs. The group was in a great zone here and i often wondered what a "complete" album would have been like. Adore the Rhino special edition but my old UK CD is my go to copy as it has Opening Ceremony wedded to the long version of The Porpoise Song, probably my favorite combination of two tracks. Among Monkees fans, I may be the only one to prefer the studio version of Circle Sky, which is one of my favorite Monkees songs. I used to play this song for friends and aquitances and not tell them who it was until it was over. Everyone was always surprised at who it was.

Last edited by Pizza; 04-06-12 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-07-12, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza
Among Monkees fans, I may be the only one to prefer the studio version of Circle Sky, which is one of my favorite Monkees songs. I used to play this song for friends and aquitances and not tell them who it was until it was over. Everyone was always surprised at who it was.
No, I love it too, just expressed that!

Wow, you did the Monkees taste test for them, huh? They did something similar to that for Donny Osmond when he was trying to make a comeback by playing the record on radio stations and not revealing who the artist was until after the song ended.
Old 04-07-12, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I love it too, just expressed that!

Wow, you did the Monkees taste test for them, huh? They did something similar to that for Donny Osmond when he was trying to make a comeback by playing the record on radio stations and not revealing who the artist was until after the song ended.
I'm not alone! That version rocks it out and, yes, the feedback is a fitting end. I feel the combination of the end of the series and the release of D.W. Washburn frozed any interest in singles for them. I would have loved to have seen what Circle Sky would have done in the states as a lead single into the album in the same time space of D.W. Washburn and then followed up by Porpoise Song.
Old 04-08-12, 11:52 AM

Head is a trip for sure, with or without drugs. Love the movie and i would love to have it on blu-ray. I hate the idea of buying the BBS box set just to get the one movie. Maybe we will get a stand alone release soon.
As for the soundtrack there really isn't a bad song on it. I would have liked more music and less filler, but whats there is good stuff. Circle Sky is a highlight, the only complaint i originally had about the studio version was the fact that Mike's vocals were buried in the mix. Alternate versions later corrected that problem. The live version has that raw energy and feel to it that i like. Probably my least favorite on the album is "Daddys Song". The sequence from the movie is excellent, as a song without the visual...not so great. I prefer Harry Nilsson's "Cuddly Toy" over this one.
It's too bad Porpoise Song peaked at only #62 although it did make the top 40 in Cashbox. It's one of the most impressive songs the band ever recorded. If The Beatles had recorded it i'm sure it would have been much bigger. At this point in the Monkees career it didn't really matter what they put out because their biggest fans had moved on and deserted them. It's ironic that as the guys kept getting better and better as musicians, songwriters and performers their fanbase kept getting smaller and smaller.
Old 04-08-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Head is a trip for sure, with or without drugs. Love the movie and i would love to have it on blu-ray. I hate the idea of buying the BBS box set just to get the one movie. Maybe we will get a stand alone release soon.
I'm still hoping for a Blu Ray version of Head on it's own, and not part of the BBS box, too, and for the same reason. One would have thought that with Davy's passing, it would have been an opportune time to release it as a stand alone disc. But then again, maybe Criterion didn't want to seem like disrespectful money grabbing whores. Who knows? Maybe they still will put it out that way.

As for the soundtrack there really isn't a bad song on it. I would have liked more music and less filler, but whats there is good stuff. Circle Sky is a highlight, the only complaint i originally had about the studio version was the fact that Mike's vocals were buried in the mix. Alternate versions later corrected that problem. The live version has that raw energy and feel to it that i like. Probably my least favorite on the album is "Daddys Song". The sequence from the movie is excellent, as a song without the visual...not so great. I prefer Harry Nilsson's "Cuddly Toy" over this one.
It's too bad Porpoise Song peaked at only #62 although it did make the top 40 in Cashbox. It's one of the most impressive songs the band ever recorded. If The Beatles had recorded it i'm sure it would have been much bigger.
The only other reason I prefer the live version of "Circle Sky" to the studio, is that it's all the guys playing on it, instead of just mike and studio musicians.

At this point in the Monkees career it didn't really matter what they put out because their biggest fans had moved on and deserted them. It's ironic that as the guys kept getting better and better as musicians, songwriters and performers their fanbase kept getting smaller and smaller
Well, at least they aren't alone in that department. I've seen the same thing happen to plenty of bands I like, even if it wasn't for the same exact reasons.

Holiday obligations and a very busy weekend have prevented me from writing up Instant Replay today, but it'll be up within the next day or so. Keeping in mind your last comment, I'm particularly interested to see what everyone has to say about the next two releases.
Old 04-09-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

At this point in the Monkees career it didn't really matter what they put out because their biggest fans had moved on and deserted them. It's ironic that as the guys kept getting better and better as musicians, songwriters and performers their fanbase kept getting smaller and smaller.
Actually, I think the music scene was changing and pop bands from the mid-sixties were no longer in vogue. (And the teeny-bopper fans of these bands were getting older and more "mature.") Paul Revere & the Raiders, Peter & Gordon, The Turtles, Dave Clark Five, The Monkees and on and on who were burning up the charts found themselves in a changing world where more "heavy" rock music was being embraced. Pop bands with their quick three minute and under songs were passe and listening to tracks from rock albums on FM stations was the "in" thing for the fans of these mid-sixties bands.

Bands like the Rolling Stones and The Who progressed with the change in musical styles and up and coming bands like Jethro Tull, Mott the Hoople, Yes, Genesis, etc. ran with it.

As good as the Monkees could be as songwriters and musicians I don't think they could ever shake their image of being that fabricated pop band from a TV show. Maybe if they had reformed under a new name with some added members they could have stayed afloat. Maybe if they had been invited to perform at Woodstock they could have remained vital in the musical world.

(One pop band from the mid-sixties that surprisingly survived the musical changes going into the seventies were The Kinks. Once a great singles band, they moved on to concept albums and just kept churning out the material. They sold enough LPs to remain under contract for years and years...)
Old 04-09-12, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I really like the box set since it contains two of my personal favorite films (The Last Picture Show and Five Easy Pieces) along with Head and Easy Rider which I find quite enjoyable. I've seen the box priced at up to 50% off at several places. I'm not saying you should buy it, but it does contain several worthwhile films besides Head.

(And if you're a Jack Nicholson fan, it's a no-brainer.)
Old 04-10-12, 05:07 PM

I'm not saying the other films in the boxset are worthless, just that i mainly wanted HEAD. I have Easy Rider on dvd and i saw Five Easy Pieces a long time ago. Last Picture Show is good too. It would be nice to have HEAD as a individual release because the old rhino dvd is horrible.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.