Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Madonna: MDNA - March 26, 2012

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Madonna: MDNA - March 26, 2012

Old 03-28-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Madonna: MDNA - March 26, 2012

DO you know how to post links ChristopherS?
Old 03-30-12, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Shit other than Gang Bang, the bonus tracks [except the lame remix] are better than the album.

Still have more listens to go
Old 04-02-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 Give Me All Your Luvin'
2 Turn Up the Radio
3 I Don’t Give A
4 I’m A Sinner
5 Love Spent
6 Some Girls
7 Superstar
8 Masterpiece (Kid Capri's Remix)
9 Give Me All Your Luvin’ (Just Blaze Bionic Dub)
10 Turn Up The Radio (Leo Zero Remix)
11 Turn Up The Radio (Richard Vission Speakers Blow Remix)
12 Give Me All Your Luvin' (Oliver Twizt Remix)
13 Give Me All Your Luvin' (Sultan + Ned Shepard Remix)
14 Give Me All Your Luvin' (Demolition Crew Remix)
Old 04-03-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say I'm a mild Madonna fan at best. I only care for her very early stuff from the early/mid 80s and absolutely loved Confessions on a Dance Floor. That's the only album of hers I listen to from start to finish. A lot of that has to do with the production, but damn if it's not a really catchy album.

I'm very much into hip-hop and I thought Hard Candy was just complete garbage. There weren't many redeeming values on it. I didn't think it would be possible for a Madge/JT song to be bad, but I was proven wrong.

I haven't listened to MDNA yet, but if it's anything like her first single, I'll most likely pass. I give her credit for staying relevant as long as she had but a friend of mine iterated to me that she's trying to be 25 on her new song (which I see echos the statements of others here). I think Confessions on a Dance Floor was a huge step up over American Life, but then she took a nosedive. Doesn't look like this album redeems much for my tastes.
Old 04-03-12, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I haven't listened to MDNA yet, but if it's anything like her first single, I'll most likely pass.
I'm actually enjoying it. Best album since Ray of Light. It prob. doesn't have a huge single like "Music" but I rarely listen to that album anyway.

In my opinion her first single, cheerleader crap, is the worst song on the album so don't judge it by that one. It's more electronicia than disco-y rap, so you might not love it but it's worth a listen.
Old 04-09-12, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my favorites

Girl Gone Wild
Gang Bang
I'm Addicted
Love Spent
Beautiful Killer
B-Day Song
Best Friend
Old 04-12-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 494 Likes on 346 Posts

Madonna's 'MDNA' Fail: Singer's Album Sales Plummet

Madonna's MDNA may be the first album to both top the Billboard charts and be a massive commercial failure.

The record debuted at No. 1 on the charts, prompting her longtime manager Guy Oseary to herald the singer's comeback as a great success. And though it was quite a triumphant return, it turned out to be a short-lived one buoyed by what some are calling a cheap trick.

MDNA sales have fallen a record 88 percent week-over-week, from 379,000 copies to a mere 46,000, Forbes reports.

So why the dramatic drop? In a somewhat savvy move, Madonna packaged the album with ticket sales on Ticketmaster. Though Lionel Richie's Tuskegee was outpacing her in projected sales, Madge was able to surpass his release by essentially giving her album away to anyone who bought a ticket to see her tour. These "sales" were then counted in Billboard's tally.

The only problem? With her shows either sold out or nearly sold out, no one's going to be buying tickets any time soon.

Page Six notes that Madge didn't invent the trick. Both Bon Jovi and Tom Petty used the loophole to finagle their way to the top of the charts.

In his email newsletter, Bob Lefsetz slammed the singer and her team for failing to understand that Super Bowl shows don't translate to album sales, especially for "an ancient superstar dashing for cash."

"Oldsters just want to hear the hits, and youngsters ... just don't care," he wrote of her halftime show. As for her tour? "Charging a fortune and playing huge venues. It's like a going out of business sale. What do you do next?"

Richie, on the other hand, sold 20,000 albums in just one hour by swallowing his pride and appearing on the Home Shopping Network. That's almost half the number of albums Madonna moved all week.

In Oseary's defense, he claims that Madge has foregone traditional album promos, instead focusing on prepping what he's touting as an epic tour. "The focus is getting the show together so MDNA can come to life," he tweeted.
Old 04-13-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forbes: Madonna's 'MDNA' is 'DOA' at 5 Bucks: Many Versions, But Few Are Selling

Madonna’s “MDNA” album is dead. It’s really quite amazing. Amazon.com has dropped the price of downloading “MDNA” to five dollars. On iTunes, the only version of the album on the chart is the explicit one, selling for $14.99. It’s at number 46 on their chart. On hitsdailydouble.com, “MDNA” dropped to number 8 from number 1, with an 87% fall off from the previous week.

The amazon.com situation is much worse. As a physical CD, “MDNA” is just gone. (Updated) The actual deluxe CD, has fallen to number 16. It’s the only one of the many versions of “MDNA” that’s selling at all. This is the second week of release. The clean version download — for $5 — is at #733. The dirty one, so to speak, is around 500. “MDNA” is just…gone. It’s a total sales collapse. It makes you wonder, what happened? Of course, Madonna has done very little publicity. And the inflated first week sales–reported here exclusively–are over now as the “bundling” with concert tickets is finished.

But wow. The deluxe version with a special booklet, for sale at $12.99, is showing up on amazon at number 5,706. Five thousand seven hundred and six.

Update:

Since the original version of this story took off on the Drudge Report–someone–Madonna fans? — got motivated. “MDNA” sales perked up quite a bit on amazon.com, sending the $5 download to number 24. The $15.59 physical CD is now number 15, at 7am eastern on Thursday. Whew! Not great news, better than when we started tonight. But the 12.01 CD is at number 733. The clean audio CD for 5 bucks is at number 846. More updates to come…(It’s not easy to keep up: amazon is selling 9 different versions of “MDNA,” digital and physical, with and without special booklets.) Madonna also dropped from number 1 to number 8 on Billboard. Her Deluxe Edition is at around number 45 on BarnesandNoble.com.

The point: even at $5, competing among similarly price-dropped albums, Madonna is only registering at number 17. She’s being beaten not only by new groups, but by Carole King’s 1971 classic, “Tapestry.”
Old 04-13-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,517 Posts

If it were the featured MP3Album Deal of the Day, it would be #1. It was dropped to match Google Music and they tend to keep those price reductions on the down-low. I bought it this morning for $5 and was surprised it wasn't in the top 20, but assumed it was because of all the versions Amazon sells (the story neglects to mention that every version of the album -- Regular or Deluxe, Clean or Dirty also has a version with or without digital booklet. So there are in fact 16 different versions for sale at Amazon. No wonder none are tracking that well.
Old 04-19-12, 11:43 AM

That guy from Forbes has had it out for Madonna for years. Why he's singled her out for his Perezhilton like "reporting" is a mystery. Did she not give him an autograph or something?
How can #17 week 3 in the USA Top 20 be a bad thing???????? #1, followed by #7 (the so-called massive failure...#7???? REALLY????)
Does Forbes always do tabloid sensationalist stories?
She devoted herself to touring years ago. That's where the money is. That industry is no longer going to survive on the same old. They'll all be doing the same (if they survive the fickle media and public).
Old 04-19-12, 02:35 PM

There are some great tracks on this thing, but it's a mystery why some of those bonus tracks weren't on the actual album. I F*cked Up and Beautiful Killer are two of the best.

Get rid of the two lead singles, sprinkle in those two bonus tracks & you have a great album.

I think Confessions on a Dance Floor was a huge step up over American Life, but then she took a nosedive.
It's funny, I think American Life has not only some of her worst songs (the hideous title track), but also some of her best songs. Give me Love Profusion, Nobody Knows Me, and Intervention over anything on the Confessions album.
Old 04-19-12, 05:49 PM

I feel the same way, I don't listen to American Life very much but those songs are terrific.

There's this from Billboard which, I'm sure, will not be spread as widely as the misinformed contributions to Forbes:

Madonna's 2012 Tour 'On Track' To Be Among 'Top 10 of All Time': Live Nation's Arthur Fogel
April 19, 2012 | By Ray Waddell, Nashville
Ongoing chatter that the Madonna tour, and by extension her multi-rights deal with Live Nation, are underperforming is "baseless," according to sales figures provided by tour producer Arthur Fogel, chairman of Live Nation Global Touring.

The precipitous drop of MDNA in its second week, while certainly not something an artist would want (though the nature of the beast when pricing strategies are geared toward impressive first-week sales), actually has little to do with the performance of Live Nation's 10-year, $120 million multi-rights deal with Madonna. The days of tours supporting records are long gone; for some time now, touring drives record sales, not the reverse, and the Madonna touring business is more than solid.

Madonna Announces 2012 World Tour Dates -- Her Biggest Tour Yet

As for the multi-rights deal, while MDNA is the first album under the 360, the upcoming trek is not the first tour. That would be "Sticky and Sweet" of 2008-2009, which grossed $408 million, according to Billboard Boxscore, the third-highest gross all-time and the highest ever notched by a solo artist. Merchandising is also a component of this tour and in Madonna's case is a significant revenue producer. Finally, given that the entire 360 deal is, at its core, performance-based and assuredly tour-driven in its concept, Madonna is delivering.

Madonna's Deal With Live Nation-Interscope Worth $40 Million

According to Fogel -- the guy who would know -- these are the facts: 76 Madonna shows at arenas and stadiums are on sale in North America and Europe combined. More than 1.4 million tickets have been sold, banking about $214 million for an average in the $2.7 million per show in a mix of stadiums and arenas. And the tour doesn't even begin until May 29 in Tel Aviv, first hitting America in Philadelphia Aug. 28.

Billboard Power 100: Arthur Fogel

Fogel's not sure what to make of the detractors. "This tour is completely on track to end up in the top 10 tours of all time, especially considering we haven't put South America or Australia on sale," he tells Billboard.biz. "To say this tour is not performing is so off base I don't even know what to say. When this tour is said and done, combined with 'Sticky and Sweet,' you're talking $750 million in gross ticket sales. That sounds pretty impressive to me."

If tickets are still available for certain shows, that by no means spells disaster. "One of the things some people don't get is, I don't necessarily want to be sold out at this point; I keep trying to find tickets to sell," says Fogel. "Every day our people are trying to fine-tune the site lines and production kills. That's my job. It's great when you can say 'sold out,' but right now I want to keep finding tickets to sell. That's the game."

Is Madonna Behind Live Nation's Stock Surge?

European dates, which are mostly in stadiums, have come under particular scrutiny. Fogel says the $214 million gross banked so far is spread "pretty evenly" between North America and Europe, and there are 43 shows on sale in North America versus 33 in Europe. "You can do the math," Fogel says, reeling off sales figures. "46,000 in Istanbul, 44,000 in Milan, 39,000 in Florence. We sold out two arenas in Barcelona, two in Berlin, two in Amsterdam, we sold 42,000 in Edinburgh, 40,000 in Helsinki, 51,000 in Paris. If that's trouble, give me more."

Fogel concedes Europe didn't blow up the way North America did, but cites buying patterns for stadium general admission tickets in Europe, and the huge promotional boost of the Super Bowl performance in America as key factors in that disparity.

"She's at the top of her game and she ain't goin' away," he concludes.
TAGS: Touring Record Labels Global
Old 09-24-12, 01:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

having just seen her tour - I have to say it was visually amazing, and at nearly two hours the only disappointment was her not performing for another hour - there were/are so many songs I would have loved to have heard live.

however ... the tix states 8pm - but apparently, the Philly fans did not take too kindly to her late stage appearence:

Madonna booed for starting show late in Philly

for the record the DC show stated at 10:26. I didn't particularly care for the opener DJ. Benny Benassi played very commercial mainstream dance music that just didn't interest me in the slightest.
Old 08-31-13, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MDNA World Tour To Be Released In Multiple Formats September 10th
Madonna's MDNA World Tour concert film will be released September 10th on DVD, Blu-ray and as a digital album on Live Nation and Interscope Records.

Directed by Danny B. Tull and Stephane Sennour and produced by Madonna, the two hour nonstop performance includes songs from Madonna's MDNA album such as "Girl Gone Wild" and "Gang Bang," as well as fan favorites including exhilarating versions of "Hung Up," "Express Yourself," "Vogue," "Open Your Heart," "Like A Prayer" and "Celebration."

Tracks-listing:

Virgin Mary (Intro)
Girl Gone Wild
Revolver
Gang Bang
Papa Don't Preach
Hung Up
I Don't Give A
Best Friend (Video Interlude)
Express Yourself
Give me all you Luvin'
Turn up the Radio
Open Your Heart / Sagarra Jo
Masterpiece
Justify my Love (Video Interlude)
Vogue
Erotic Candy Shop
Human Nature
Like a Virgin Waltz
Love Spent
Nobody Knows Me (Video Interlude)
I'm Addicted
I'm a Sinner
Like a Prayer
Celebration

And a behind-the-scenes look at the MDNA workshop that started the tour.

MADONNA.com
Old 09-25-13, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

'Madonna: MDNA World Tour' Blu-ray Recall

An audio glitch on Madonna's latest concert disc has prompted a recall in the US.
Interscope Records will be issuing a Blu-ray recall for 'Madonna: MDNA World Tour' released on Blu-ray on September 10 citing "an error in manufacturing that has compromised the 5.1 audio."

Madonna commented last week: "Yes and I'm absolutely horrified. My label is looking into it... trying to get to the bottom of it. It might be a case of old technology not working with new technology. Please be patient. I spent 6 months editing and doing the sound mix for the [Blu-ray], the last thing I want to hear is that the fans aren't getting the fruits of my labor."

This statement was also just released by the manufacturer:
Interscope Records would like to make consumers of Madonna's MDNA World Tour Blu-ray disc aware that the concert will be seen at its most optimal quality by properly adjusting the settings on your television to "Normal/Movie" mode rather than "Dynamic/Enhanced" mode.

Older Blu-ray players or those without a firmware upgrade may experience glitches when navigating the Blu-ray menu. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to upgrade firmware.

Due to an error in manufacturing that has compromised the 5.1 audio in the US, a full recall of the Blu-ray disc will be issued in the US. No other markets will be affected.
We apologize for this inconvenience.

A date for the re-release of corrected discs has not been set at this time.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...y_Recall/12665