Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 08-26-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Janis Ian w/Livingston Taylor last Saturday at the Wilbur in Boston, The Alarm with Gene loves Jezebel and Modern English at the Paradise on Wednesday, also in Boston, and Squeeze w/They Might Be Giants at the Rooftop at Pier 17 in Manhattan yesterday. Great shows all, but holy christ, Squeeze takes it to another level.
Squeeze and X is my next show.
Old 08-28-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Squeeze and X is my next show.
Be sure to post your impressions.
Old 09-03-19, 12:08 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

8/20 - Spoon, Cage the Elephant, Beck
9/4 - Vampire Weekend
9/18 - Phantom Planet
9/19 - Sigrid
Old 09-03-19, 01:36 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I caught Steve Grimmett's Grim Reaper the other night. He's had some hard times recently, having to have a leg amputated a couple years ago. He struggles a bit around the stage with his cane and appears to refer to a iPad on a stand in front of him for lyrics. But he did sound great considering his age and health, and after the show he came down from the stage and hung out with fans for quite some time. I loved those first 3 Grim Reaper albums, and was glad to have to opportunity to finally see him live.

Old 09-03-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The Who @ MSG, adding the Orchestra brought it to a different level.
Old 09-04-19, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Iron Maiden last night. They are the most timeless band ever. All in their 60's and have chops for days. Amazing.
Old 09-04-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

9/17 Interpol
9/19 Highly Suspect
9/24 DeVotchKa and The Joy Formidable
10/08 Cold War Kids
10/23 Guns ‘n Roses

Don’t think I’ll be able to make Tool on 10/29, but am going to try.
Old 09-05-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
9/24 DeVotchKa and The Joy Formidable
I really like both those bands, but that seems like a very odd double-bill!
Old 09-05-19, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I really like both those bands, but that seems like a very odd double-bill!
TJF are doing an acoustic set on this tour so that makes a little more sense.
TJF was the first concert I took my son to several years ago, we missed them last time they came to town and this was a surprise add to this tour.
Old 09-08-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw Def Leppard on a work trip last week to Vegas and was on the front row rail.

Old 09-09-19, 03:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Hammerfall and some local L.A. bands at The Whiskey A Go-Go. The local bands were: Ophiuchus, Syn Absence, Masked Jackal, Anubis, and Powertribe. They were all pretty good, but I got to say Powertribe was the best of the bunch. Hammerfall was awesome, they had a few special guests, which I can't remember at the moment. I was a little disappointed that Hammerfall didn't play "Glory To The Brave." That's their best song, in my opinion. Overall it was still a good show.
Old 09-09-19, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

^^ I'm seeing them again next month with Sabaton. I agree that's a big disappointment that they Glory To The Brave, although I don't think they've ever done it in the US (no clue why).
Old 09-10-19, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
^^ I'm seeing them again next month with Sabaton. I agree that's a big disappointment that they Glory To The Brave, although I don't think they've ever done it in the US (no clue why).
I was just looking at some of their past setlists and you're right. I'm now curious as to why they haven't played it in the U.S. Hopefully they'll surprise you and play it.
Old 09-13-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

X and Squeeze at the Showbox in Seattle. Eddie Vedder joined X on stage for a song.
Old 09-14-19, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
X and Squeeze at the Showbox in Seattle.
Funny that you should mention that. I saw Eric Clapton tonight in Vegas on a US 2019 micro-tour (only three dates total) and on organ and backing vocals was Paul Carrack (who besides being a front man for Ace and Mike + the Mechanics was Squeeze lead vocalist on Tempted). I bet almost nobody there realized who that was. Can he really make more money doing three shows with Clapton than touring with Squeeze?

You can see him there on the far left.

Anyways Eric Clapton has been at the top of my Concert Bucket List for so long that I don't even know who takes his place now. I have loved his music forever but for whatever reason I never got around to seeing him until tonight . What a terrific show. So great sounding and a nice mix of songs even though many hits were missing including Wonderful Tonight. Set was kinda short - just 90 minutes plus one encore of Before You Acuse Me (with opening act Jimmy Vaughn joining in) . So glad that I finally got to see EC and glad he hasn't lost his voice yet.
He doesn't talk at all in his show. My wife commented that "He's not chatty like Paul McCartney" and I said "Paul McCartney talked more about Eric Clapton at his concert than Eric Clapton did in his". And that is actually true.

Last edited by Decker; 09-14-19 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-14-19, 08:22 PM

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,120 Posts

We saw Tycho with Poolside as the opener last night, great show!

Old 09-15-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

brandi carlile with mavis staples at msg, fantastic show
Old 09-16-19, 01:15 AM

Saw Ghost in Bakersfield on Friday, they put a great show. The openers Nothing More, not so much. Too much whiny screaming for my liking. They did play two songs where there was actual singing, and those weren't too bad. Then they ended their set with a dubstep version of "We Will Rock You." Ugh.

On Saturday I went and saw Iron Maiden, who put on a hell of a show, playing most of their "hits" and some cool gems. They were on for just about 2 hours. Fozzy opened and they were great, just wished that they had a longer set and the word "Bubbly" was mentioned (Wrestling fans should get that reference). The other opener was The Raven Age, which was meh.
Old 09-16-19, 11:03 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I saw Ride on Friday night on the first show of their North American tour.
Old 09-16-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Saw Ex Hex last night, a band that should be way more popular than they are. Their second LP, It's Real, is still my choice for best album of 2019.

Bass player Betsy has moved to second guitar, and they've added a new bass player. She's good, but really didn't seem to be part of the band. It's still seems like the trio, with the new bass player off to the side. Still, one of the best outfits out there playing good hard rock and roll. Don't miss 'em if they come to your town.
Old 09-18-19, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Kacey Musgraves at the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium in Asheville, NC. Very good 90 minute set, mostly stuff from her new album. Raucous crowd, (the booze vendors must have made a fortune) and really loud for a small venue. We took our 12 year old and it got too loud for her toward the end, so my wife finished it out while we went and listened to the last 3 songs from the lobby.
Old 09-18-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Caught Interpol last night. I enjoyed it but they will not be known for an electric performance. Several spots the vocals were mixed bad, Paul would be covered up by the music and other times the sound was way high and sounded like a busted speaker, but it was not consistent. I am going back on Thursday to catch Highly Suspect so hopefully it is not the same issue. This is the venue that had the soundboard blow up during Vampire Weekend, that had a 45 minute wait to replace, which Vampire Weekend sounded great so I know the venue can sound good.
Old 09-20-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So saw Squeeze and X on a Friday night...(Did they sell the live recordings at your shows?)

Squeeze with Soundboard CD Audio!

X /HQ Audio

Then on Saturday night saw John Mayer w/SHQ Audio
Old 09-21-19, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

2019-09-20: Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, and Battle Beast at The Agora Theater n Cleveland. High energy and entertainment from Battle Beast and Kamelot. Sonata Arctica played their tunes fine, but the crowd wasn't really into them like the others. All 3 sounded great. I think Battle Beast got a lot of new fans as their merch section seemed to have a line all evening.
Old 09-24-19, 10:22 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
2019-09-20: Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, and Battle Beast at The Agora Theater n Cleveland. High energy and entertainment from Battle Beast and Kamelot. Sonata Arctica played their tunes fine, but the crowd wasn't really into them like the others. All 3 sounded great. I think Battle Beast got a lot of new fans as their merch section seemed to have a line all evening.
I picked up a Battle Beast shirt at the Chicago show. A buddy of mine made the trip up to Madison to catch a headline show by Battle Beast the next day. Second time seeing Kamelot for me, first time seeing Sonata Arctica. I'll probably check out a headline set when Sonata Arctica comes back next year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.