Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 01:45 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

I haven't, either. Didn't know you're in my neck of the woods Geofferson, or I had forgotten.

We saw Violent Femmes and Ben Folds at the Surly brewing outdoor venue on Wednesday in Minneapolis, pretty awesome time.
Old 08-16-19, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

A little behind in posting..

2019-08-08: Squirrel Nut Zippers with Sierra Ferrell opening at Madison Theater, Covington, KY. Very energetic and fun show, and they seem to be picking up a little steam again in crowd size.
Old 08-16-19, 11:28 PM
Premium Member

2019-08-15: Iron Maiden with The Raven Age opening at Riverbend Music Center, Cincinnati, OH. I try to catch them whenever they are close. This is pretty much a hits tour, glad they finally pulled out "Flight of the Icarus" again it sounded great. Bruce is still running around the stage like a young dude . Big crowd for this show and everyone was really into it from start to finish.

Last edited by The Cow; 08-16-19 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-16-19, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

2019-08-16: Skillet, Sevendust, and Pop Evil at the PNC Pavilion, Cincinnati, OH. I've seen Pop Evil a few times and they are okay, seems they've had a couple lineup changes since the last time I saw them, and they have good energy and stage presence. Sevendust did nothing for me, I recognized a couple of the songs, but nothing stood out from a stage or song standpoint, meh.

Skillet has really good stage presence and I like a lot of their songs. Their show is very programmed and piped. I don't think John is really playing bass even when he has it, and I'm not so sure Korey is really playing much either. Still they work a crowd great, and very high energy. I enjoyed seeing them again.
Old 08-17-19, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
Vampire Weekend TONIGHT! My son knows the show is sold out, but not that we have tickets so he will be ecstatic as this is one of his top 5 bands.
Awesome. I took my daughter to see them in Indy back in June. What a great show. Tell me what they played at their encore. Are they still taking requests at the end
Old 08-17-19, 03:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Collective Soul and Gin Blossoms at our local fair tonight. They put on a pretty good show.
Old 08-17-19, 07:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

U2 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.
Old 08-17-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Vampire Weekend was an awesome show. The sound board blew up about 7 songs in, we had to wait 30-45 minutes to get it fixed. They came back out and played for a total of over 2.5 hours, a total of 30 songs. Encore was Big Blue, Hey Yeah and Diplomat’s Son (these two were request) and Walcott.

First show with Kingfish opening, son pointed out they were in an episode of Luke Cage so that was pretty cool.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/vampi...-339fc4fd.html

Last edited by Cusm; 08-17-19 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-17-19, 11:43 PM

Cool. That was a LONG set. Our show (the second one of the tour) went 25 songs long. Thanks for that setlist site. I hadn't seen that before.
Here's the video I shot, which I put in the VW thread.
Old 08-18-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Saw Iron Maiden in Pittsburgh last night. Great show. Highlights for me were Where Eagles Dare and Revelations, as those first two tracks from Piece of Mind, along with Flight of Icarus were what really cemented me as a Maiden fan. My biggest musical regret was not being able to see the World Slavery Tour in 1985 (although it was beyond my control) Seeing them start the show with Aces High and follow it up with two other classics was the fulfillment of a long delayed dream. My only previous Maiden show was 2010, which was very heavily weighted towards the post reunion stuff. Good music, but not what I wanted. I don't think they even played The Trooper on that tour.

Speaking of new stuff, Bruce mentioned a couple of times from the stage that the "next time" they come to town they'll have new music for us, so they must be at least thinking seriously about another record.

I know a lot of people like to bitch about how they play the same handful of songs over and over, but when you don't live somewhere that Maiden regularly plays, this type of thing is pure gold.

Sold out show, 15,000 people. Had side seating but appreciate the general admission floor, as the doors were open early so we didn't have to stand around outside. They were also selling merch outside, which was nice. The Raven's Age needs to go. Honestly, I'd rather see a UFO tribute band (they played UFO's Doctor Doctor as the show intro).

Old 08-18-19, 04:39 PM

Saw Demons and Wizards, Lizzy Borden and Tyr last night at The Wiltern. Tyr was a great opener, but I wished that they played a longer set or switched with Lizzy Borden, especially since they don't really tour the States. I wasn't a fan of Lizzy Borden, who seemed be more about costume changes and gimmicks over the music. I can go without seeing them live again. Demons and Wizards were absolutely awesome! They even played some Iced Earth and Blind Guardian songs, which caught me by surprise. This show was being promoted as their First and Only U.S. Tour and it was well worth going too!
Old 08-18-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 3nthebag
U2 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.
Recently? lol
Old 08-19-19, 07:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rhpsozzy
Saw Collective Soul and Gin Blossoms at our local fair tonight. They put on a pretty good show.
Awesome. I would have gone to this. Was a big Collective Soul fan back in the day. Didn't know they were still actively touring.
Old 08-19-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Cool. That was a LONG set. Our show (the second one of the tour) went 25 songs long. Thanks for that setlist site. I hadn't seen that before.
Here's the video I shot, which I put in the VW thread.
https://youtu.be/0xinquYn8_w
Did they not have the globe in the middle of the ring at all?
Old 08-19-19, 11:18 AM

No. I was wondering about that ring.
Old 08-19-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Size
Spoiler:

Old 08-19-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by rhpsozzy
Saw Demons and Wizards, Lizzy Borden and Tyr last night at The Wiltern. Tyr was a great opener, but I wished that they played a longer set or switched with Lizzy Borden, especially since they don't really tour the States. I wasn't a fan of Lizzy Borden, who seemed be more about costume changes and gimmicks over the music. I can go without seeing them live again. Demons and Wizards were absolutely awesome! They even played some Iced Earth and Blind Guardian songs, which caught me by surprise. This show was being promoted as their First and Only U.S. Tour and it was well worth going too!
Cool. I used to be a big Lizzy Borden fan but never saw them live. I haven't followed them in years, but their first full length, "Love You To Pieces", still stands up for me, a really solid album.
Old 08-19-19, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Size
Spoiler:

Looks better than it did here
Spoiler:

Old 08-24-19, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Wife and I saw Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit tonight, with Molly Tuttle opening. Both were great, especially if you like Americana at all.
Old 08-24-19, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark Knopfler @ The Beacon Theater NYC.
Old 08-25-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Shonen Knife, the trio of Japanese girls who've been at it since 1981 (although I doubt their current drummer, Risa, was even born in 1981). A fun time, but it was in a club that was way too small for them. The show sold out, and with the club that packed, you could barely catch a glimpse of them as they performed. Still, a great band to see live. Drummer Risa just has so much fun when she plays.
Old 08-26-19, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Janis Ian w/Livingston Taylor last Saturday at the Wilbur in Boston, The Alarm with Gene loves Jezebel and Modern English at the Paradise on Wednesday, also in Boston, and Squeeze w/They Might Be Giants at the Rooftop at Pier 17 in Manhattan yesterday. Great shows all, but holy christ, Squeeze takes it to another level.
Old 08-26-19, 01:28 AM

Saw Evergrey on Friday night,. They had two openers: TULIP and Shattered Sun, both of them impressed the hell out of me. Got to hang out with them or a little bit after the show. Pretty cool people. Evergrey was awesome, of course.
Old 08-26-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Janis Ian w/Livingston Taylor last Saturday at the Wilbur in Boston, The Alarm with Gene loves Jezebel and Modern English at the Paradise on Wednesday, also in Boston, and Squeeze w/They Might Be Giants at the Rooftop at Pier 17 in Manhattan yesterday. Great shows all, but holy christ, Squeeze takes it to another level.
Squeeze is one of those bands I should have seen by now, but for some reason I haven't. They occasionally play a club near me when they're touring, but as you can imagine tix go pretty fast. I might have to be more aggressive next time. Can Tillbrook still hit those high notes?
Old 08-26-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Squeeze is one of those bands I should have seen by now, but for some reason I haven't. They occasionally play a club near me when they're touring, but as you can imagine tix go pretty fast. I might have to be more aggressive next time. Can Tillbrook still hit those high notes?
To my ears he was absolutely perfect, both vocally and on the guitar. Having never seen them live previously I had no idea he could play the guitar like he did. Not to embellish, but the show gave off the same feeling/vibe as the ELO show I went to in 2018. Not in regards to the lights/lasers/spectacle aspect (though I will say if anyone has the chance, The Rooftop is a fantastic place to see a show), but in regards to the energy, nostalgia, the way everyone knew pretty much every song and danced and sang out, the positive energy, and the fact that you just couldn't stop smiling. Hope I'm not overselling it. I go to a lot of shows and while I enjoy them all for the most part, some of them just catch you off guard and rise above.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.