Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 07-29-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Just got back from the Newport Folk Festival. What an amazing three days of music.
Old 07-30-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Static-X
Devildriver
Dope
Wednesday 13
Ravenblack

Oriental Theater

The first 3 openers were pretty good, with Wednesday 13 being the most interesting with the best sound. Devildriver, who I normally enjoy, had a horrific sound mix. The drums were way too high, and the vocals were muddled. Static-X put on a fantastic show. The new singer sounded very similar to Wayne, although his mannerisms occasionally went beyond being a tribute and into a creepy copy. Band sounded good, performances were good, stage production was beyond what I expected, and they spent a decent amount of time respecting Wayne and his contributions to the band and music.
Old 07-30-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts

The Raconteurs and The Melvins in San Diego. Phone Free show so I went very low-profile to capture footage. GoPro, no screen on, held right in front of me.

Old 07-31-19, 08:02 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Just got back from the Newport Folk Festival. What an amazing three days of music.
Awesome, there was a strong list of performers this year. Who did you end up seeing?
Old 07-31-19, 04:08 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Last night saw James open for the Psychedelic Furs ( so basically I saw James ) dead dead good!!
Old 07-31-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BDB
Last night saw James open for the Psychedelic Furs ( so basically I saw James ) dead dead good!!
Wow. I am a huge fan of both bands (at different points in my life) but I would certainly have figured James would be the headliner.
Great bill, either way.
Old 07-31-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

The Furs played here but had a different opener, I would have went to see James though.
Old 07-31-19, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Awesome, there was a strong list of performers this year. Who did you end up seeing?
We saw the full sets from:
Fri: Adia Victoria, Parker Millsap, Charley Crockett, Benmont Tench, Sheryl Crow, Phil Lesh & the Terrapin Family Band
Sat: Devon Gilfillian, Jade Bird, Gregory Alan Isakov, Maggie Rogers, Jeff Tweedy, Brandi Carlile’s all-female headliner collaboration highlighted by Dolly Parton performing
Sun: Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Nilüfer Yanya, J.S. Ondara, Our Native Daughters, Phosphorescent, Portugal. The Man

We also caught partial sets as we moved between the stages:
Kasey Musgraves, The Highwomen, Lucy Dacus, The Infamous Stringdusters

Last edited by SunMonkey; 07-31-19 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 08:13 AM

Awesome I had a chance to talk with Charley the prior week at a show and he seemed stoked for this festival. Rightfully so, some awesome talent you saw.

I heard the Carlile/Parton collab was sweet. I've seen Lesh and Osandra before. Not familiar with everyone, will have to look a few of them up.
Old 08-01-19, 08:38 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Went to Summer Slaughter last week, decent lineup, but the big draws were the headliners Carnifex and Cattle Decapitation. Carnifex has a new album out, Cattle Decapitation has a new one coming later in the fall.

Old 08-05-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Friday night got to see Tyson Meade, former Defenestration and Chainsaw Kittens lead singer. I have been a fan for decades and seen him multiple times but still a great show. My son loved the show and we talked with Tyson after the show for a bit. Ironically the first time I ever met and talked with Tyson (he worked the local record shop) I was about my son's age.
Old 08-05-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Went to Summer Slaughter last week, decent lineup, but the big draws were the headliners Carnifex and Cattle Decapitation. Carnifex has a new album out, Cattle Decapitation has a new one coming later in the fall.

I got spoiled when I lived in San Diego and saw Cattle Decap 3 times in the span of a year and a half. Now that I'm out in Raleigh who knows the next time they will roll through. Such a great live band.
Old 08-06-19, 11:12 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I have seen Cage a bunch of times, and they are always great. I thought his voice was off a little, but Matt knows how to bring 100% to the performance. I felt bad for Beck having to follow them and while I liked him, he was a little scattered Wednesday night. Even the local paper thought Cage the Elephant = intense & Beck = erratic. https://www.ocregister.com/2019/07/1...n-irvine-show/
No love for Spoon on this tour? It sucks they play so early.

I just got upgraded seats for the 12th row to the show in two weeks. I saw both Beck and Spoon last year (separate shows, though Britt from Spoon did show up for a few songs at the Beck show) and Cage a few times in the pasts (always as an opener). The tickets were so cheap and it's close to home, so I figured why not. I paid $40 for two lawn and upgrade for additional $40, the seats are listed at $150/ea regularly.

Last edited by dex14; 08-06-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-11-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I saw Claypool Lennon Delirium last night. It was a great show. In addition to the CLD originals there was Astronomy Domine, Court of the Crimson King, Tomorrow Never Knows, and Southbound Pachyderm.
This was the first show I’ve been to, though, that made me wish for a phone-free concert. I had to move a couple of times because of jackasses in front of me blocking my view so they could record entire songs.
Old 08-12-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
No love for Spoon on this tour? It sucks they play so early.

I just got upgraded seats for the 12th row to the show in two weeks. I saw both Beck and Spoon last year (separate shows, though Britt from Spoon did show up for a few songs at the Beck show) and Cage a few times in the pasts (always as an opener). The tickets were so cheap and it's close to home, so I figured why not. I paid $40 for two lawn and upgrade for additional $40, the seats are listed at $150/ea regularly.
I have been telling people to get there early for Spoon, at our show they came on about 10 minutes early and I ran back to seats and hit record
Old 08-12-19, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw "Weird Al" Yankovic perform at the Greek Theatre on Saturday. There was an orchestra playing along with him and his band. Got to hear some songs that I never thought that I would ever hear him play live: "The Biggest Ball Of Twine in Minnesota," "Harvey The Wonder Hamster" and "Weasel Stomping Day."
Old 08-13-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

B52s, OMD & Berlin last week. Rolling Stones tomorrow. I think that's like 1000 years of band longevity combined there.
Old 08-13-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by rhpsozzy
Saw "Weird Al" Yankovic perform at the Greek Theatre on Saturday. There was an orchestra playing along with him and his band. Got to hear some songs that I never thought that I would ever hear him play live: "The Biggest Ball Of Twine in Minnesota," "Harvey The Wonder Hamster" and "Weasel Stomping Day."
He has performed BBOTIM lots of times. The other two had never been performed live before this tour though.
Old 08-14-19, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
He has performed BBOTIM lots of times. The other two had never been performed live before this tour though.
I have never personally heard it live and I wasn't aware that he played it live before this tour.
Old 08-14-19, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by rhpsozzy
I have never personally heard it live and I wasn't aware that he played it live before this tour.
He played it on many dates of last year's Vanity tour (not every stop though, I didn't get to hear it then), but apparently he hadn't played it since 1997 before that. It was part of his regular set list for a couple years in the late 90's, and I heard it a few times, but I guess I just didn't realize it had been that long, lol.
Old 08-14-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
B52s, OMD & Berlin last week. Rolling Stones tomorrow. I think that's like 1000 years of band longevity combined there.
And 3/4 of it is Keith Richards alone
Old 08-14-19, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
He played it on many dates of last year's Vanity tour (not every stop though, I didn't get to hear it then), but apparently he hadn't played it since 1997 before that. It was part of his regular set list for a couple years in the late 90's, and I heard it a few times, but I guess I just didn't realize it had been that long, lol.
LOL. I never got a chance to go to the Vanity show last year. I also didn't go to one of his shows until 2008. Wait that was 11 years ago already? Damn.
Old 08-16-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Vampire Weekend TONIGHT! My son knows the show is sold out, but not that we have tickets so he will be ecstatic as this is one of his top 5 bands.
Old 08-16-19, 10:17 AM

Checking out Thunderpussy Saturday night (female hard rock band). Playing a small venue in Minneapolis. Anyone seen (or even heard of them)?
Old 08-16-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Never heard of them but the band name sounds apropos.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.