Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw Judas Priest and Uriah Heep on Friday. Managed to get floor seats at a good price. Priest played some of their more rare songs during this tour. I lost it when they played "All Guns Blazing" and "Judas Rising." I would of liked to have heard "Painkiller," but those two songs were suitable replacements. Overall an awesome show.

On Saturday, I saw The Original Misfits at the Banc of California Stadium. Great show and venue. One major issue though, there were two tall speakers near the center of the field that blocked parts of the stage from our view. It should of been noted that the seats were going to have an obstructed view. Gonna have to deal with this again when I see Iron Maiden in a couple of months, as we will be seated near where we were for this show. Aside from that most of the show was great. Cor-Mags, Anti Nowhere League, The Distillers and The Misfits all put on a good show. Rise Against, the other band on the lineup was just okay. They probably should've opened the show instead of being on right before The Misfits. They didn't seem to fit with the rest of the lineup.
Old 07-07-19, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Paul McCartney. One of the best shows I've ever seen. He played a bit of everything. The first track the Quarry Men recorded. George's "Something". "Here Today" the song he wrote about John after he passed. And just a boatload of Beatles songs, with a few Wings songs. And new stuff, all of which was really good. He told a bunch of stories in between songs too. I would have paid the same ticket price just to hear him talk. At one point Paul noticed a sign that said 62 years ago today Paul McCartney met John Lennon, which almost seemed to catch Paul by surprise. Went with my parents and my sister, it was a gift for my Dad for Fathers Day. It was the second time my Dad has seen Paul, the first time being in 1966 when he was 12. It was the second to last show The Beatles ever played. My Uncle threw his hat on stage and it landed on Ringo's drum and Ringo put it on. Paul's voice isn't what it used to be, but it was still damn good. He played for 2 hours and 50 minutes. Not to bad for a 77 year old. Overall it was an amazing experience.
Old 07-08-19, 08:19 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Saw Billy Idol and Living Colour at the Naperville Ribfest last week. Living Colour performed their Vivid album front to back, so Cult of Personality was at the beginning of the setlist.

Old 07-08-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Paul McCartney. He played for 2 hours and 50 minutes. Not to bad for a 77 year old. Overall it was an amazing experience.
Yeah, Paul is lucky that a lot of his hits require piano. So he gets to sit during 2/3 of the show without anybody really thinking about it. Saw him a couple of weeks ago & it's worth any amount of money you can afford to see a Beatle singing Beatles songs in 2019. It can't last forever.

Old 07-08-19, 11:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Saw Kiefer Sutherland last week in Minneapolis. He's released 2 country/western records over the past couple years. Was a surprisingly solid show.

Old 07-09-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Saw "Weird Al" Yankovic on Friday night in Rochester Hills, MI. Great show as always. Had lawn seats, but sat on the side of the pavilion instead of the traditional part of the lawn in the back, better views of the stage from there. I also manged to get some decent pics of Al as he came up the aisle right next to where I was sitting during his performance of "Tacky"

Old 07-12-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Montgomery Gentry.
Without Gentry Montgomery was still good. Love the Drink Along Song from the last CD. Too bad I never got to see them together.
Old 07-12-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

Reverend Horton Heat, X & The Damned at the Pacific Amphitheater last Sat night (July 6, 2019)

RHH

X

The Damned
Old 07-12-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

ELO last night. Jeff brought Dhani Harrison on the stage (George's son) to sing vocals on the Traveling Wilbury's "Handle with Care". Brought the house down.
Old 07-15-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Murder By Death
Mekons
Vandoliers

@ Square Roots Festival
Chicago IL
07/13/19

An absolutely unreal triple bill. Freshly signed Bloodshot Records band The Vandoliers opened with a joyously manic alt-country set that helped mitigate the blazing sun. Mekons - legendary Welsh post-punk band (now based out of Chicago, more or less) - were just two shows into their pseudo-reunion tour. A brilliant set from a legendary band.
Murder By Death (pictured) delivered once again - man, they are so fun to see live.
Old 07-15-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

With the exception of maybe Jimi Hendrix, left-handed guitarists always weird me out. And I'm left handed! But when I took up guitar, it was just as unnatural for me to learn left-handed as it was to learn right-handed, so I did it the way most music was written (chord charts) and the way most instruments were manufactured. So glad I did, as I was never restricted in the guitars I wanted to buy.

I'm not the only one who chose that option. Mark Knopfler, Billy Corgan, Duane Allman, Paul Simon, Steve Morse, Joe Perry, and Ritchie Valens are all naturally lefties, but play(ed) right handed.
Old 07-15-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I saw MBD at Riot Fest a few years back. While I've liked their albums, their live shows take the songs to another level.
Old 07-15-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw him on 7/10 at San Jose. 100% agree with everything you wrote below.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Paul McCartney. One of the best shows I've ever seen. He played a bit of everything. The first track the Quarry Men recorded. George's "Something". "Here Today" the song he wrote about John after he passed. And just a boatload of Beatles songs, with a few Wings songs. And new stuff, all of which was really good. He told a bunch of stories in between songs too. I would have paid the same ticket price just to hear him talk. At one point Paul noticed a sign that said 62 years ago today Paul McCartney met John Lennon, which almost seemed to catch Paul by surprise. Went with my parents and my sister, it was a gift for my Dad for Fathers Day. It was the second time my Dad has seen Paul, the first time being in 1966 when he was 12. It was the second to last show The Beatles ever played. My Uncle threw his hat on stage and it landed on Ringo's drum and Ringo put it on. Paul's voice isn't what it used to be, but it was still damn good. He played for 2 hours and 50 minutes. Not to bad for a 77 year old. Overall it was an amazing experience.
Old 07-18-19, 04:25 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Finally got to see Allegaeon for the first time, with openers Exmortus who've I seen several times.

Old 07-19-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Saw Metric, Chvrches, and the end of Jason Mraz's set at the Basilica Block Party on a gorgeous Minneapolis night on July 13th. Just wonderful.
Old 07-19-19, 10:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two Silversun Pickups/Meg Myers shows last weekend in Syracuse and Buffalo
Old 07-19-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Saw The Racounteurs in Seattle last night. Really great show. First time seeing Jack White who is probably my favorite living, touring, and recording artist today live. Regrettably didn't play my favorite song of theirs, Many Shades of Black but played everything else I really wanted to hear.

First time I've ever attended a cell phone free event. Would be happy to have all events be phone free to be honest.
Old 07-20-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Saw The Racounteurs in Seattle last night. Really great show. First time seeing Jack White who is probably my favorite living, touring, and recording artist today live. Regrettably didn't play my favorite song of theirs, Many Shades of Black but played everything else I really wanted to hear.

First time I've ever attended a cell phone free event. Would be happy to have all events be phone free to be honest.
I have 3rd row tix for San Diego, and have been to a few of his Phone Free shows, and even as a taper/filmer, I love going to these shows. I can still tape if I want (no filming) but it's great to have everyone pay attention. However I posted a while back, I wonder if ultimately this hurts him in some ways with people bailing out to check phones, or people feeling like they are missing out on posting or ? There was something weird going on the last time I saw Jack and I thought that might have something to do with it.
Old 07-20-19, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Beck, Cage the Elephant, Spoon in Irvine on July 17, 2019

Cage

Beck
Old 07-20-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

^ I saw them at the Park Theater last night. Only indoor venue on the tour. Very cool show. I had pretty good seats, but they were still pretty far back because the entire floor was SRO and I don't do that anymore at my age. Long show, starting at 7 and done just before Midnight.
I knew some Cage songs but had never seen them before. Had no idea that their lead was such a dynamic performer. Also didn't realize that had such a big fan base. About a third of the people in the seats left after Cage, which blew my mind. I was waiting for Beck who was near the top of my list of performers who I had never seen live but wanted to see. He didn't disappoint.
Wish he had done some stuff from Midnight Vultures though.
Old 07-20-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Saw Black Pistol Fire last night at The Belly Up, and holy shit these two guys are good!

Their (5) records are fine, but they are something else live.
Old 07-20-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
^ I saw them at the Park Theater last night. Only indoor venue on the tour. Very cool show. I had pretty good seats, but they were still pretty far back because the entire floor was SRO and I don't do that anymore at my age. Long show, starting at 7 and done just before Midnight.
I knew some Cage songs but had never seen them before. Had no idea that their lead was such a dynamic performer. Also didn't realize that had such a big fan base. About a third of the people in the seats left after Cage, which blew my mind. I was waiting for Beck who was near the top of my list of performers who I had never seen live but wanted to see. He didn't disappoint.
Wish he had done some stuff from Midnight Vultures though.
I have seen Cage a bunch of times, and they are always great. I thought his voice was off a little, but Matt knows how to bring 100% to the performance. I felt bad for Beck having to follow them and while I liked him, he was a little scattered Wednesday night. Even the local paper thought Cage the Elephant = intense & Beck = erratic. https://www.ocregister.com/2019/07/1...n-irvine-show/
Old 07-22-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Allegaeon is one of my favorite bands. I've been seeing them since their first EP, and had a feeling they would end up getting pretty big. I didn't expect it to be as quickly as it did though, with their first full-length.

3Teeth
Author and Punisher
Gost

Marquis Theater

Gost, which I thought was mostly a synthwave artist, came out with a guitarist and put on a pretty wild show considering what he had to work with. Just the two of them, some synths and keys, and a lot of pre-recorded tracks to sing to. It was fun, although a bit uneven.
Author and Punisher was the main reason I was there. His self-made machines and one-man-band show was heavy, noisy, and very interesting. Great stuff.
3Teeth sounded good, but I couldn't see damn thing on stage. The only lighting was some LED stands that faced the crowd, strobing the entire time. All I could ever see was the singer occasionally, and then the guitarist once in a while.
Old 07-26-19, 10:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Saw 2 shows in the last week. Rodney Crowell last Friday in Minneapolis. Great performance. Took requests from the crowd and signed autographs after. Forgot to get a picture with him. Charley Crockett Monday in Philly. Been following him for a couple years and first time seeing him. Puts on a good show - good blend of country, blues and bluegrass. Signed autographs and took pictures after the show - cool guy.

Old 07-27-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Jeff Lynne's ELO at Xcel Energy Center in St Paul MN. His band had 8+ members inc. 3 keyboardist, 2 cellos, violinist and 2 versatile background, if not lead singers. Awesome show!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.