Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 06-03-19, 08:35 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw Flotsam & Jetsam over the weekend. They are doing a headlining tour promoting their new album End of Chaos. The new material is really good, their last couple albums have really been a return to top form. A smallish crowd in Joliet for them, they really need to figure out how to get Jason Newsted to join them for a tour to get their brand back up. They deserve more recognition.

Last edited by PerryD; 06-03-19 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add video
Old 06-03-19, 08:54 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Saw John Prine over the weekend. Put on a great show and had several good stories to tell. He played for a solid 110 minutes. Not bad for the old guy.
Old 06-07-19, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Flew my daughter from Vegas to Indy to see her favorite band Vampire Weekend. Outdoor show, no reserved seats. Not usually my thing. Plus my daughter wanted to get up close of course so I was standing for hours. At least it didn't rain. Don't feel great right now but it was a fantastic show. It is their first tour in 6 years and this was only their second stop. Wonderful performance and our "seats" (or whatever you call your location in a SRO show) was amazing, with thankfully no shoving courtesy of polite Midwesterners

Old 06-10-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

The Specials
L.A. Salami

@ The Vic
Chicago IL
06/08/19

The band sounded great - and kept the new stuff to a minimum - so it was largely their better known material.
Vocalist Terry Hall had an odd presence onstage, however, and while he was in fine voice he seemed really awkward and uncomfortable to be performing.
And no 'Ghost Town' - which is arguably their biggest hit (at least in my mind). In checking setlist.fm it seems they have only been doing that song sporadically on this tour. A minor disappointment in an otherwise fun night.

Opening act L.A. Salami did a meandering set, with his long tunes separated by far too long tune-ups in between. I will check out his recorded stuff because I liked the sound, but live it was a bit dry.
Old 06-11-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Saw Chromatics in Portland on Saturday. Desire was the second opening act and a super treat to behold. Johnny Jewell is one of the hardest working men in music; he set up most of the equipment before Desire went on, played with Desire, then a full set with Chromatics. The live show was mind blowing and a many of the live orchestrations were much richer experiences than the albums. I’m holding out hope when Jewell gets back from Europe, he does some Glass Candy live shows (Chromatics and Glass Candy have major Portland roots.)
Old 06-11-19, 07:37 AM

Received 4,515 Likes on 3,063 Posts

Death Cab For Cutie w/ Jenny Lewis last night.
The National w/ Courtney Barnett tonight.
Old 06-19-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Calexico and Iron & Wine
last night at the Haw River Ballroom.
Fantastic show!

Old 06-21-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts

Caught Kenny Wayne Shepard with Buddy Guy last night in NH, was there for Buddy as its my 15+ time seeing him in the last 30 odd years but my god Kenny Wayne can shred some serious blues. He closed the show just crushing Voodoo Chile - best version I've ever seen and Buddy has played it more than a couple times in front of me. If you are a fan of Stevie Ray you probably already know this guy but he has the same vibe and style as SRV which for me not really having heard much about him aside from Blue on Black years ago he was really amazing. A woman in front of me in the line to get in was just gushing over him and I can now see why.

Buddy played a great show hitting the same set list more or less he's been doing for years. There was no encore which was a little disappointing but he did play until 11 pm and a couple of jams did run into the 10 min mark. So he still hit all the marks and he is always entertaining and has a great patter interacting with the audience. James Montgomery came out and blew a mean harp to help close out the set and they did some James Cotton, Junior Wells and another tune that slips my mind. Also anyone that has seen Buddy has seen his front man Ric Hall who is an amazing guitarist in his own right, Buddy really let him loose last night on a few tunes which was also nice to see.
Old 06-21-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Love KWS and have been following his work for over 20 years. Voodoo Chile is his standard closer, and has been for many years, but glad that you enjoyed it.
Old 06-21-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Love KWS and have been following his work for over 20 years. Voodoo Chile is his standard closer, and has been for many years, but glad that you enjoyed it.
what albums would you recommend by him? Specifically the blues tinged ones if you don't mind.

- Its funny this is the first artist that has caused Buddy to change his set-list as he normally does a tease of Voodoo chile (normally not the whole song, although he's done it a few times in full) but he didn't play a lick of it last night which is better than his normal tease...
Old 06-21-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Pretty much all of his albums are blues tinged. I'm still kinda partial to my first album (Kenny's second) which is "Trouble Is..." which also features "Blue on Black" but you really can't go wrong with any of them. I'm also partial to his "Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band" material (with vocalist Noah Hunt) as opposed to his "solo" material (which in itself is kind of a misleading term, because despite being the only name credited on the cover of those albums, there's really only 1 album (2004's "The Place You're In) where he himself takes lead vocals, and that would not be my recommended starting point for anyone. It's also probably the least bluesy album in his catalog.

If you want the really bluesy stuff, you can't go wrong with "10 Days Out: Blues From the Backroads" which despite being credited as one of the "Solo" albums, is anything but. Kenny practically takes a back seat on this album to the impressive cast of blues luminaries that he has assembled here. It's really great though.

His first album, "Ledbetter Heights" which was published at the ripe age of 18 is still great too though. It's another "Solo" album, but the only KWS album to feature lead vocalist Corey Sterling.

Everything else except the last 3 I mentions are "KWS Band" material, and it's all pretty great too.
Old 06-21-19, 04:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Santana and The Doobie Brothers last. Another great show. it would of been better if that 7 foot guy didn't sit in the seat in front of me, blocking most of my view.
Old 06-21-19, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Death Cab For Cutie w/ Jenny Lewis last night.
I loved Jenny Lewis' last album. How was she live?
Old 06-22-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
The Specials
L.A. Salami

@ The Vic
Chicago IL
06/08/19

The band sounded great - and kept the new stuff to a minimum - so it was largely their better known material.
Vocalist Terry Hall had an odd presence onstage, however, and while he was in fine voice he seemed really awkward and uncomfortable to be performing.
And no 'Ghost Town' - which is arguably their biggest hit (at least in my mind). In checking setlist.fm it seems they have only been doing that song sporadically on this tour. A minor disappointment in an otherwise fun night.

Opening act L.A. Salami did a meandering set, with his long tunes separated by far too long tune-ups in between. I will check out his recorded stuff because I liked the sound, but live it was a bit dry.

Yep, I saw this show in Boston last Saturday. When I first saw them in 2013, they had five original members. The drummer passed away, and the original guitarist left, so they were down to three when I saw them again in 2016, and again for this show. They still sound great, but maybe it's just not quite the same as when I first saw them.

Yeah, Terry Hall has an odd stage presence. I know he's dealt with serious depression issues, and some of that comes through, although he still performs well. Huh, they did "Ghost Town" at my show, and I had no idea they weren't playing that on some of their shows---I would have thought they would always play that one. Still, their classic hits are so great, it's always a fun show to see them. "Concrete Jungle" and "A Message to You Rudy" always deliver!

Yeah, LA Salami was a little odd. I couldn't tell you if he played two songs or seven, as they all seemed to drone on at the same slow tempo--although his sound was kind of cool.
Old 06-23-19, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

2019-06-21: Kings of Chaos at the Fraze Pavilion in Dayton/Kettering. This iteration had Lou Gramm, Dee Snider, Sebastian Bach, Warren DeMartini, Gilby Clarke, James LoMenzo and Kenny Aronoff.

Much better than I thought it would be going in. There was actually some chemistry between the guys and they appeared to be having a good time. Seeing Lou Gramm perform Foreigner songs was great. He's really looking old and a bit confused when he wasn't singing, but he still put a lot into his songs and sounded great. Sebastian sounded and acted good, but he looked like he was strung out on something. Fun show with a good mix of tunes from the various members bands.
Old 06-26-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Saw these 2 knuckleheads past Saturday. Pretty good. You can tell age is catching up but was a fun hour and a half.

Old 06-26-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I suppose I should have waited until after the show to post, but whatever. Friday night in Charlotte, NC I’ll be seeing Dead & Company, possibly followed by an after-party The Grass is Dead show at a nearby brewery.
For those unaware, Dead & Co is the surviving members of the Grateful Dead except for their bass player Phil Lesh, and has John Mayer in Jerry Garcia’s old role. The Grass is Dead plays Dead songs in a bluegrass style. Should be a fun weekend, and I have cousins there I’m staying with.
Old 06-26-19, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts

I was on a work trip last week and a customer asked if I wanted to go see JLo with her. We got a group of 7 of us together and ran down to Pepsi Center (Denver, CO) and got 7 seats all together at the last minute from the Box Office. Not a big JLo fan but she was better than I thought she would be. And I had my camera.

Old 06-29-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Paul McCartney at T-Mobile arena in Las Vegas last night. Sir Paul was in great form especially considering he’s 77.

Steven Tyler joined Paul on stage for an encore of Helter Skelter. That was a nice surprise since Aerosmith is also appearing in Las Vegas now.
Old 06-30-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Misfits @ Banc of California Stadium last night.

Glenn still has crazy energy for his age, especially with how demanding some of these songs are. Great set. Fun crowd. I got great seats through Goldstar for only $25. Bought a killer bootleg shirt for $10 in the parking lot.
Old 06-30-19, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Damfino
Paul McCartney at T-Mobile arena in Las Vegas last night. Sir Paul was in great form especially considering he’s 77.

Steven Tyler joined Paul on stage for an encore of Helter Skelter. That was a nice surprise since Aerosmith is also appearing in Las Vegas now.
Saw him the next night. No Steven Tyler for me. It was a great show, my fourth time seeing Paul, I knew most of the stories already. Still it's a thrill to see the man who wrote and performed many of the greatest songs ever recorded perform those same songs for us live on stage. And it was extra cool sharing them with my daughter, who grew up with that music, for the first time.
Old 07-01-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Saw Twenty-One Pilots on Saturday in Columbus. Fun show! They really engage and involve the audience. I haven't seen them live before, but I would go again (even though they didn't play Tear In My Heart, which is my favorite 21P song).
Old 07-01-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts

Seeing Jeff Lynne's ELO on Wednesday night down in Nashville at Bridgestone Arena.

The 2019 tour is an encore of their brief 10-city tour across North America last summer. I caught them then in Detroit, and although the published setlists from the earlier stops indicate that this years' tour is largely unchanged from last year, I really don't care.

I'm already getting goosebumps.
Old 07-01-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Charly Bliss on Saturday night at The Casbah, San Diego.

The good: It's a small club, very intimate, and I think this will be the last time their touring includes such small venues. The sound. For such a small club, it's not uncommon for bands to overdrive the sound system with excessive amps, thus making the overall mix and especially the vocals get muddy. This was not the case, as Eva's vocals were clear as a bell. The enthusiasm. They really do enjoy what they're doing, and put everything into the performance. The musicianship. It's a very tight, well rehearsed band.

Now the not-so-good: Really low turnout for such a critical darling of a band. Like I said, it's a small intimate club and it was 75% capacity at most, on a Saturday night. Obviously CB does not have a local following, and I wouldn't be completely surprised if they skip the city altogether next time around. Wouldn't be the first band to do that. Also, for the quality of the musicianship mentioned above, sometimes it seemed too perfect, too close to the record. There wasn't a lot of onstage banter, but twice Eva thanked the audience with an almost verbatim schpiel, and I sort of doubted the sincerity when I heard it a second time within the set. And finally, a one-song encore that's a Killers' cover really seemed lacking, especially when "Westermarck" from the first record wasn't even played.
Old 07-01-19, 02:38 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I saw Eyes Set to Kill in Joliet last week. I've seen them a few times as an opening act, so it was good to see them as a headliner. There was probably less than 100 people that showed up for the show, but a couple days later they played in front of 60,000 at the Warped Tour in NJ. The band did stick around after the show for pictures and autographs. Gorgeous singer, although her even hotter sister left the band recently which was disappointing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.