Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Saw them last year down on the Cape, I went on a whim and was surprised at how good they were. (The Church opening up for them were also great.)
Caught The Church on Saturday in CT. Being the Starfish 30th anniversary tour they began the show by playing the album in its entirety.
Old 10-29-18, 01:40 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Saw Suffocation and Cattle Decapitation over the weekend. Suffocation is doing a farewell to Frank tour since their lead singer is no longer going to tour with the band after this tour. They sounded really good at this show, cleanest sound mix I've heard at a death metal show.

Cattle Decapitation was supposed working on their next album (their previous two albums Anthropocene Extinction and Monolith of Inhumanity are death metal masterpieces), but decided to support Suffocation on this tour.

I got to hang out with Cattle Decapitation for 30 minutes in their tour bus before the show. As anyone that follows them knows, they are vegans and environmentalists, and their "death" metal lyrics are heavily into those issues. But they are regular dudes, and aren't judgmental. They do say that it's hard to eat Vegan on the road, they depend on eating at the nearest Embassy (McDonald's) and ordering a Big Mac with no meat patties. They are just beginning to write their new album, and are hoping to release it in about a year. I love their last two albums, so hopefully they can sustain this momentum. They've added a second guitarist which greatly helps their live sound, but hopefully will also add more variety to their next album too.
Old 10-29-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Steely Dan at The Beacon in NYC, they did Countdown to Ecstasy and some fan faves.. good show.
Old 10-29-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Steely Dan at The Beacon in NYC, they did Countdown to Ecstasy and some fan faves.. good show.
What is Steely Dan now? Just Donald Fagan and some studio musicians?

It kills me that they played a short residency at the Venetian last year and I missed it. I would have loved to see them, but my wife (for whatever reason) hates their music.
Old 11-09-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 946 Likes on 720 Posts

Claudio Simonetti, with his new version of "Goblin"

They played live to a screening of Suspiria. While it was still an amazing experience, I was more than slightly disappointed that the version of Suspiria shown had the soundtrack intact. I thought they'd be playing instead of it, rather than on top of it. And the soundtrack was LOUD, so I was never really sure if I was hearing the soundtrack or the live musicians.

After the film, however, they did a set of film songs including Demons, Phenomena, Dawn of the Dead, and Deep Red. Phenomena was easily the highlight of the set, as the song is basically used directly in the movie.

Not as cool as I'd hoped it would be, but I'd be kicking myself forever if I'd missed this.
Old 11-09-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Just got tickets for Peter Murphy and David J for January. I am pumped, I wish it was a full reunion with Kevin and Daniel, but I will take 1/2 a reunion show.

Going to see Of Montreal on the 14th.
Old 11-10-18, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

2018-11-09: The Birthday Massacre & Julien-K at Top Cats in Cincinnati.

Not usually my genre, but I really like The Birthday Massacre. Had a great time at this show. Very small intimate venue with great sound. Met the band and they are super friendly.
Old 11-11-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw Elvis Costello last night in Boston. It was my first time seeing him, and it was a fantastic show. I know he had some health issues earlier in the year, but his voice was strong and whole band was sharp, particularly the piano/keyboard player.

A nice mix of old hits and stuff from the new album. Highlights for me were the piano/vocal version of Accidents Will Happen, and a hard-rocking I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea.
Old 11-11-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

2018-11-01: Little Steven & The Disciples Of Soul at Ames Center in Burnsville MN.

Great NJ Rock & Soul revue. Lots of energy, low on dynamics but it was good to see him out there sending his message. Rock will save you!
Old 11-19-18, 05:27 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

11/10 - Saves The Day - The Stone Pony, Asbury Park
11/18 - Mitski - Union Transfer, Philly
Old 11-19-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Saw Suffocation and Cattle Decapitation over the weekend. Suffocation is doing a farewell to Frank tour since their lead singer is no longer going to tour with the band after this tour. They sounded really good at this show, cleanest sound mix I've heard at a death metal show.

Cattle Decapitation was supposed working on their next album (their previous two albums Anthropocene Extinction and Monolith of Inhumanity are death metal masterpieces), but decided to support Suffocation on this tour.

I got to hang out with Cattle Decapitation for 30 minutes in their tour bus before the show. As anyone that follows them knows, they are vegans and environmentalists, and their "death" metal lyrics are heavily into those issues. But they are regular dudes, and aren't judgmental. They do say that it's hard to eat Vegan on the road, they depend on eating at the nearest Embassy (McDonald's) and ordering a Big Mac with no meat patties. They are just beginning to write their new album, and are hoping to release it in about a year. I love their last two albums, so hopefully they can sustain this momentum. They've added a second guitarist which greatly helps their live sound, but hopefully will also add more variety to their next album too.
I'm kinda bummed I missed this tour, love both Suffocation and Cattle Decap. I've seen Cattle 4 times in the past 2 years though (used to live in San Diego) and the setlist hasn't changed though so I figured it wasn't worth the hour+ drive.
Old 11-19-18, 06:44 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by beavis69
I'm kinda bummed I missed this tour, love both Suffocation and Cattle Decap. I've seen Cattle 4 times in the past 2 years though (used to live in San Diego) and the setlist hasn't changed though so I figured it wasn't worth the hour+ drive.
Yeah, I was surprised that Cattle only played tracks from their last two albums, no deep cuts.

Good article posted today on Rolling Stone on the Suffocation show
Farewell, Frank Mullen: Suffocation’s Death-Metal Maestro Goes Out on Top
Old 11-28-18, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daniel Avery/The Jesus and Mary Chain/Nine Inch Nails - Irving, TX
Old 11-30-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Saw Elvis Costello Wednesday at the Anaheim House of Blues. I didn't bring my nicer camera, but I did grab two songs at the end.

Here is one of them...
Old 12-10-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw Dave Alvin and Jimmy Dale Gilmore's final night of the tour last night at the Coach House in San Juan Capo, CA last night. It might have been one of the best rocking nights I've seen of Mr Alvin. Plus I got permission to record from the soundboard (Mics and SBD matrix used here)

Old 12-13-18, 02:12 PM
Political Exile

Saw Black Dahlia Murder this week, with Havok supporting.

Old 12-13-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those that know, I tape bands, mostly stealth, but as mentioned above, I got permission and Dave is on the Internet Archive. Probably my best recording of 30 years at it...

https://archive.org/details/davealvi...aud.sbd.flac16
Old 12-17-18, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Nine Inch Nails and The Jesus and Mary Chain on Saturday for their last of 6 shows at the Hollywood Palladium. The Jesus and Mary Chain was alright. NIN put on a good show, but there seemed to be too many slow filler songs thrown in there and not enough "hits." When you start the show with "Wish" and follow it with "Last," "March Of The Pigs" and "Piggy" you need to keep the pace up and not slow it down for the next five songs. I was really glad that they played "Wish," "The Perfect Drug" and covered David Bowie's "I'm Afraid Of Americans." They should of played "Closer" though.
Old 12-17-18, 05:11 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
For those that know, I tape bands, mostly stealth, but as mentioned above, I got permission and Dave is on the Internet Archive. Probably my best recording of 30 years at it...

https://archive.org/details/davealvi...aud.sbd.flac16
Awesome Alvin is great and JDG is simply one of the genre's best, underrated.

I saw Midland at the Varsity in Minneapolis last week - great show.

Last edited by Geofferson; 12-17-18 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by rhpsozzy
Saw Nine Inch Nails and The Jesus and Mary Chain on Saturday for their last of 6 shows at the Hollywood Palladium. The Jesus and Mary Chain was alright. NIN put on a good show, but there seemed to be too many slow filler songs thrown in there and not enough "hits." When you start the show with "Wish" and follow it with "Last," "March Of The Pigs" and "Piggy" you need to keep the pace up and not slow it down for the next five songs. I was really glad that they played "Wish," "The Perfect Drug" and covered David Bowie's "I'm Afraid Of Americans." They should of played "Closer" though.
To be fair, you saw the last of a 6 night run in a single city. They had a lot of other dates to cover the entirety of the hits.
Old 12-18-18, 08:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
To be fair, you saw the last of a 6 night run in a single city. They had a lot of other dates to cover the entirety of the hits.
True. I'm just glad to hear "Perfect Drug," a song never played live before this tour. Honestly with "Closer" being their biggest hit, it should of been one of the ones played at every show, like "Hurt" and "Wish" were.
Old 12-31-18, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Steven Wilson last week and The Revolution last night.
Old 01-02-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

X, Los Lobos, and The Blasters

First time to see the latter two acts. Even though Billy Zoom of X is more than a bit slowed down, John Doe shows no signs of aging. Ignore a few wrinkles and some gray hair and he's the same guy from Decline of Western Civilization.
Old 01-02-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
X, Los Lobos, and The Blasters

First time to see the latter two acts. Even though Billy Zoom of X is more than a bit slowed down, John Doe shows no signs of aging. Ignore a few wrinkles and some gray hair and he's the same guy from Decline of Western Civilization.
Although I hold a grudge against X for just coasting by playing oldies and not putting out any new music as a band (they've been doing this reunion thing for going on twenty years now, I think)--that's still one heck of a lineup to see those three bands together.
Old 01-02-19, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think X, despite only playing older material, vary their live set more than any band from that era (or earlier). I'm a huge fan of fellow LA punksters The Dickies, but I can probably tell you their setlist IN ORDER before I even go. The fact that X is still going with their original lineup is absolutely amazing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.