Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 08-22-18, 02:28 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Went to a second Slayer show in St Louis a week or so back. Bought tickets up close and really enjoyed the show more this time around.

First time using imgur, let's see if this posts correctly

Spoiler:

Old 08-23-18, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ELO, last night at Madison Square Garden.
I'll echo the sentiments of the others in the thread that hit up this show, fantastic. Never has a concert flown by so seemingly fast. So glad I made the trip.

Everclear, Stevie Wonder, and The Fixx in the next week and change.
Old 08-23-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Just got back from seeing Dimmu Borgir in Toronto. Great show, opening act..not so much. But Dimmu ruled!

I need a better phone though, couldn't get any decent pics or video.
Old 08-25-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

08/24/18
Joe Ely/Alejandro Escovedo
Old Town School of Folk Music - Chicago

In bizarre concert symmetry this show was one year to the day when we saw them together last time. These two icons share the stage, performing back-and-forth acoustically, telling stories, etc.

Alejandro should really be a household name, and everytime I see him (whether solo acoustic or with a full band) the guy never fails to impress. No exception this time.

Joe Ely - well, he is a legend. Plain and simple. A songwriting legend that lives up to the hype, imo. And still in fine voice.

Their duet on Ely's 'Silver City' to close the show gave me the chills. Absolutely heartbreaking stuff.

No pics, as I decided to just enjoy the experience...
Old 08-25-18, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Tues Aug 21, I saw Jack White...

Phone Free Show, so I opted to leave all my gear at home and not tape.

He was great but not so sure the phone free thing led to more audience engagement. I saw more people leave early that most shows I attend. Looks like people just had to get back to their phones. Or it's San Diego and So CA just has a short attention span anyways.
Old 08-25-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

So I saw ELO for the first time in my life last night. Made the trip from D.C. to Philly to see them. Euphoric is one word to describe the evening. It was quite an experience.
Old 08-26-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

8/13: Smashing Pumpkins
Too choreographed. Crowd watched it virtually still, like they were watching a Broadway show

8/20: Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
Two hour rain delay and an energetic show afterwards. 15 minutes before venue curfew, the Wrigley staff turned on all the stadium lights, which led to a very different perspective for the last song and a half.
Old 08-26-18, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

2018-08-25: Dee Snider, Dokken, and Warrant at Rose Music Center (Dayton, OH)

Warrant played a short set with their hits, sound was mushed together. Dokken was not good, the instruments sounded on, but Don cannot sing the songs anymore, he needs to hang it up.

Dee Snider, however, put on a really strong show. He's still a great front man, and was still running around and sounding good. There were some technical hiccups with his new band, but Dee knows how to work a crowd and everyone in the place seemed to have a great time with his set.
Old 08-26-18, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Not music but saw Andrew Dice Clay last night here in Tulsa. Wanted to see him since his heydays.
Old 08-26-18, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Everclear this past Friday night at Tupelo Music Hall (Londonderry NH). It was a really fun show - they basically played all the hits, along with some scattered album tracks. Seemed like most of the show was either from 'Sparkle and Fade' or 'So Much For The Afterglow". Alex was very engaging and humble, and that helped make it a very enjoyable evening.

I love hearing all the positive reviews for ELO. They're not playing Boston, but they happen to be at the O2 Arena in London when I'm there in October. Hope to check them out, as I never got to see them in their heyday.
Old 08-27-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Caught Halestorm Saturday night in Vegas. Awesome show. FREE (Fremont Street Experience) and huge crowd. Lzzy is the best voice out there right now. Kick ass energy. She loves what she does. Love the fans.
Old 08-28-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I love hearing all the positive reviews for ELO. They're not playing Boston, but they happen to be at the O2 Arena in London when I'm there in October. Hope to check them out, as I never got to see them in their heyday.
You owe it to yourself to go see them. Especially in London. The audience in Philly stood the whole time and there was so much energy. But the crowds in England seem to eat them up even more. Check out their Wembley live show from a year ago. I know they're playing four nights at the O2, but you should probably get tickets now. That Wembley show was sold out (80,000 people).
Old 08-28-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Erasure at the Wiltern on Sunday Night...

Old 09-03-18, 03:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Evanescence and Lindsey Stirling Saturday night in Irvine For someone that isn't too familiar with Stirling's work, she put on one hell of a show and probably would of been a great way to end the night, but Evanescence (the main reason I went to this show) went on last. Now it's time for a bit of a rant...

The Evanescence part of the show, while good musically, lacked energy. Lindsey Stirling’s performance had a ton of energy and the crowd was really into it and I was hoping that energy, or close to it, would continue when Evanescence was on. That sadly didn’t happen. This was also the first time that I was able to go see them live and I was a bit disappointed.

When I heard that Evanescence were playing with an orchestra, it sparked my interest. Playing with an orchestra tends to enhance the music, like it did when I saw Weird Al a couple years back. Hell, bands like Metallica and The Scorpions played with an orchestra and it was awesome. When Evanescence played, there was a complete lack of energy, until it got to the last two songs, one in which Lindsey Stirling came back out to help them out. The band, aside from Amy Lee and the drummer were not given much to do. They looked quite bored until those last couple of songs. One of my favorite songs “Bring Me To Life” had the energy completely stripped away from it. This lack of energy was making me tired, which is not the thing you want your audience to do at a concert. This seemed like an Amy Lee Vanity project, where the rest of the band hardly even mattered.

Another funny thing about this show is that normally you would hear the audience sing along with the songs, this was not the case with Evanescence. All you can hear was the music and Amy Lee. The only time you heard the audience was when they were clapping and cheering after each song. Never did the audience sing during their set. I looked around to make sure the music wasn’t drowning them out and it wasn't. That was a first. I wonder why that was the case for this show.

Anyways, I think what Amy Lee was going for did not fit the live atmosphere. It sounded good musically, but it did not work when they played it live. Maybe if they actually let the band play the whole set with the symphony orchestra, it would of played out a lot better. Maybe Amy Lee should have had Lindsey Stirling headline instead. If I ever go to see Evanescence live again, they better be playing as an actual band.
Old 09-03-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I'm not much of an Evanescence fan any more, I did see them back in the early 2000's, but was intrigued with the orchestra aspect. I watched a few videos, and came to a similar conclusion as you; it looked more like they were going for a typical orchestra performance as opposed to a band with a backing orchestra. It was subdued, more about making the music than putting on a performance. I like symphony orchestras a fair amount, but I definitely don't go to see an exciting show. I decided it wasn't worth going.
Old 09-04-18, 08:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I'm not much of an Evanescence fan any more, I did see them back in the early 2000's, but was intrigued with the orchestra aspect. I watched a few videos, and came to a similar conclusion as you; it looked more like they were going for a typical orchestra performance as opposed to a band with a backing orchestra. It was subdued, more about making the music than putting on a performance. I like symphony orchestras a fair amount, but I definitely don't go to see an exciting show. I decided it wasn't worth going.
I try to avoid footage from shows that I plan on seeing, including this one. I saw someone post a video (on a different site) with Evanescence and Lindsey Stirling covering some of the song "No More Tears" from Ozzy Osbourne and it got my expectations going in the wrong direction.
Old 09-05-18, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Well this is embarrassing - LouFest cancelled:

Old 09-06-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-06-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-06-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-07-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Fixx at Tupelo Music Hall in Derry, NH last weekend.

I've seen them a couple times the last few years but this was the tour where they played Reach the Beach in its entirety, plus other hits. Wow, Cy Curnin's voice sounds fantastic, as does the whole band. This is the original lineup from '83, and the overall sound and performance was really excellent.
Old 09-07-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
The Fixx at Tupelo Music Hall in Derry, NH last weekend.

I've seen them a couple times the last few years but this was the tour where they played Reach the Beach in its entirety, plus other hits. Wow, Cy Curnin's voice sounds fantastic, as does the whole band. This is the original lineup from '83, and the overall sound and performance was really excellent.
Saw them Monday at City Winery in Boston, great show there too. Not sure if it was the same at every show on the tour, but they did Reach The Beach in reverse order.
Old 09-07-18, 04:32 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

The War on Drugs last night - very very good. First time seeing them would recommend.!
Old 09-07-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

My son and I saw Stone Sour and Ozzy Osbourne last night at the Xfinity Center in Mansfield, MA. It was my first time seeing either act, and my son's first concert experience. Stone Sour played for roughly an hour, mostly focusing on stuff from their latest cd. Corey Taylor's voice is great and he was all over the stage just about the entire time. Ozzy started with Bark at the Moon and ended with Paranoid, hitting almost all points in between. I'd heard not to expect too much from his performance, as he'd been fairly stationary in recent years, but he had a lot of energy and was much more active than I expected. His band was great, and it was a huge highlight for me to finally see Zakk Wylde in person. He was Ozzy's guitarist on the first Ozzy cd I ever owned, so I've always been a big fan.

Overall, the whole show was awesome and my son and I had a blast. Great times.
Old 09-08-18, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Pearl Jam at Fenway Park last Tuesday night. Phenomenal show on all accounts - the band was in top form, the sound was the best I'd heard in a stadium, and the video was almost cinematic. With all due respect to the Foo Fighters, PJ really are the best rock band in America today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.