Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-18, 03:48 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Black Label Society & Corrosion of Conformity in Joliet.

I did the meet & greet for BLS, and he definitely has a passionate fanbase that follows him, many of whom looked like they walked off the set of Sons of Anarchy. Zakk Wylde does a pretty good job of being fan friendly, spending time with each fan, embellishing his signature with sketches of a guitar or the BLS logo, and during the group photo seemingly acting very interested in moving people around to get the best shot as if he were a wedding photographer. Definitely puts on a great show. I guess he had some open dates before the next leg of the Ozzy Farewell tour.

Old 07-23-18, 03:58 PM
Political Exile

Exmortus, Absence, and Hatchet in Joliet about a week ago. I've seen Exmortus a couple times, last time I think they were opening for Children of Bodom which was a decent pairing. I've always wanted to see Hatchet, they embrace the old school 80s thrash sound that made up my teen years, and they didn't disappoint. I hadn't heard about Absence before seeing them, but I did end up picking up their album at the show and got them to sign it and chatted with the band that evening.

Old 07-25-18, 02:28 PM
Political Exile

Havok, Jungle Rot, and Extinction AD last night in Chicago. I'm a big fan of both Jungle Rot and Havok, but Jungle Rot had just dropped a new self-titled album that's pretty good, so I was looking forward to seeing them. Bassist was out do to an injury from a fist fight, and I guess they also had a new drummer, but they put together a decent performance in spite of that. The crowd was nuts during Havok though, the circle pit was probably 80% of the floor, crazy amounts of energy.

Old 07-29-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Shania Twain

My wife won tickets from the radio, so we were up in the nosebleeds. I hadn't really listened to her in about two decades, my wife is only a moderate fan, but we like live music so it was an ok time.

I'm aware that Shania barely skirted the line of what was considered country, but this was a full-on pop show. Dancers, lasers, a mega production, and not much in the way of a live band. Her drummer was pretty intense, but otherwise there was only an occasional guitarist or violinist that came out during portions of the songs. The crowd around me was crazy into it, so that was fun to watch.
Old 07-29-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Arctic Monkeys last night at the Anthem here in D.C. Been a huge fan but had never seen them live before. Great show.
Old 07-31-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Caught the Foo Fighters at Wrigley on Sunday night... another excellent performance. I had never been to Wrigley and while the atmosphere was fantastic, the amenities leave a lot to be desired. I couldn't snag the shirt I wanted (the one everyone wanted) because there were very few stands. Getting food or a beer was tough too... regardless, had a blast.
Old 08-02-18, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

David Byrne in Boston on Tuesday night. As others have mentioned, the show is stunning both visually and aurally, definitely the best show of the year so far!
Old 08-06-18, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Panic! At The Disco just a few hours ago here in Tulsa. It was quite a show.
Old 08-06-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Janet Jackson last Thursday. A very fun show. She's still got it at 52 years young. My pics from the show:
Old 08-09-18, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

2018-08-04: Cheap Trick and Styx at the Ohio State Fair. Cheap Trick didn't sound very good in this venue and it was pretty much a by-the-numbers performance for them, nothing special. Styx did sound very good and put on a good show. I don't follow them these days enough to know how often Chuck Panozzo shows up on tour with them, but he was there and played on a few songs.
Old 08-09-18, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

2018-08-08: Jeff Beck, Paul Rodgers, Ann Wilson at Riverbend in Cincinnati. Paul Rodgers was the headliner, I suppose because he has more hits, but Jeff and Ann were much more entertaining. Jeff Beck is another one of those guys that doesn't seem to age much, he still moves around pretty good, I really liked his set.
Old 08-09-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull

06/02/18
David Byrne

@ Auditorium Theater - Chicago IL

Absolutely stunning. I am really at a loss for words....
Yes! I saw this on Saturday, and it was incredible. I'm sooooo glad I went.

And that shadow effect, was really cool. A still doesn't do it justice.
Old 08-13-18, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just got back from seeing Alice Cooper at the Greek. Great fucking show by Alice. Ace Frehley opened up and he basically played an entire Kiss set. I guess he figured he'd lose the crowd if he played his original material.

Alice was great and it was my first time seeing Nita Strauss and she is phenomenal - and a beast on stage. She's got a great presence. The encore was School's Out with Another Brick in the Wall medley and Orianthi came out and played on it - that was pretty cool. Chuck Garric is cool as fuck and I will have to check out his Beasto Blanco project - been meaning to do that for a while now. It's time.
Old 08-13-18, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Metalachi at the local Amphitheater. Played an 1 and a half set. Such a fun band to see live.
Old 08-13-18, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by andicus

At the Rose? I was there also, it was great!
Old 08-13-18, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
At the Rose? I was there also, it was great!
No, This was Saturday the 4th, at the Sony Centre in Toronto.

There was a funny moment in our show where he mentioned Trump and then, when the audience booed, he said "Don't get too smug... I've got two words for you. 'Ford brothers.'" He had us, there.
Old 08-18-18, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

2018-08-16: Jeff Lynne's ELO at Little Caesar's Arena in Detroit.

Not many chances to see this in the US, and I'm glad I made the trip. It was pretty much straight up playing with lots of lights and big backdrop video screens, but the sound was great. Set list was decent, with mostly their bigger hits. There were a few missing (Fire On High in particular) that I wish they would have done, but overall great show.
Old 08-18-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not many chances to see this in the US, and I'm glad I made the trip. It was pretty much straight up playing with lots of lights and big backdrop video screens, but the sound was great. Set list was decent, with mostly their bigger hits. There were a few missing (Fire On High in particular) that I wish they would have done, but overall great show.
Seeing them at Madison Sq Garden on Wednesday, can't wait.

Few I've seen recently were Charo at Mohegan Sun. Didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. She's very talented on the guitar and is really self aware and plays up the camp. Fun show if you get the chance.

Tom Bailey/B-52s/Boy George and Culture Club at the Wang Center, Boston. All three bands were great, especially considering how far past their prime you'd think they were.
Was especially worried about the Bs since I hadn't seen them since Keith left and had seen some footage of Cindy from her solo effort where let's just say her voice wasn't doing that well, but as soon as they launched into Planet Claire all worries went out the window. So much energy the balcony was bouncing from everyone dancing.
Culture Club, who was never on my radar, also impressed. Boy George's voice was still very strong, yet soulful, and he teased the audience, especially the front section, throughout the show with good natured banter keeping the mood light and fun.

John Waite at City Winery Boston. While I enjoyed the show I will say with no opener it was on the short side with numerous omissions of some of his known tracks (Isn't It Time, Reckless Heart, Every Step Of The Way...).
Old 08-18-18, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus

Wow, that does look really cool. Jonathan Demme would be proud!
Old 08-18-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the Fixx this past Wednesday at the Birchmere in the D.C. and they were incredible. Second time I've seen them. The first time was about 12-15 years ago. I don't recall them sounding this great then, but still a good performance. But they were absolutely fantastic. I was especially impressed by the guitarist. Super tight. I'll definitely keep an eye on their touring schedule from this point forward.
Old 08-19-18, 02:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Styx tonight at the local fair. They played "Mr. Roboto," so I was happy.
Old 08-19-18, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Wow, that does look really cool. Jonathan Demme would be proud!
Definitely. As I mentioned in the thread dedicated to this show, I really hope it's released on Blu-ray. Obviously Jonathan Demme wouldn't be involved, but I'd love to see it given a good treatment.
Old 08-19-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Dude.... I was there!

20th row, main floor, slightly left of center. I shot this with my crappy Moto G5+ - this was the encore:

The sound was phenomenal! Amazing what the engineers did with such a cavernous acoustically-challenging venue like LCA. I was actually dreading that the sound would suck balls, based on reviews from other concertgoers to this venue since it opened last year, and that of the very few US dates (10?) on this tour, I would be taking my kid to see the worst of the worst. Happily, I was NOT disappointed. Watch that video, you'll see/hear what I mean.
Old 08-19-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

ELO Detroit Setlist

(spoilered for Brooklyn):
Spoiler:
Standin' in the Rain
Evil Woman
All Over the World
Showdown
Do Ya
When I Was a Boy
Livin' Thing
Handle With Care
Rockaria!
Can't Get It Out of My Head
10538 Overture
Shine a Little Love
Wild West Hero
Sweet Talkin' Woman
Telephone Line
Don't Bring Me Down
Turn to Stone
Mr. Blue Sky
Encore: Roll Over Beethoven

By Album:
1 (1972) The Electric Light Orchestra / No Answer
1 (1973) ELO 2
1 (1973) On The Third Day
1 (1974) Eldorado
1 (1975) Face The Music
4 (1976) A New World Record
5 (1977) Out Of The Blue
2 (1979) Discovery
1 (1980) Xanadu
1 (1988) Traveling Wilburys, Volume 1
1 (2015) Alone In The Universe

The heart of the lineup was from the 1976-80 era, with 2/3rds of the songs coming from when I was in high school.

And Friday morning's review:
Linky: Review: Jeff Lynne's ELO brings blue skies to Little Caesars Arena
Spoiler:

Review: Jeff Lynne's ELO brings blue skies to Little Caesars Arena
Adam Graham, The Detroit News
Published 12:26 a.m. ET Aug. 17, 2018 | Updated 2:18 a.m. ET Aug. 17, 2018

"The band sounded crisp and clean during its first Detroit concert in almost 40 years"

After the news of Aretha Franklin's passing on Thursday, Detroit was in need of some healing.

As the touring gods would have it, "Mr. Blue Sky" himself, Jeff Lynne, was lined up for a sold-out concert at Little Caesars Arena with Jeff Lynne's ELO, the one-time Electric Light Orchestra, marking the band's first appearance on a Detroit concert stage since 1981.

While there were no covers of Aretha tunes or even a mention of the Queen of Soul, it turns out that 90 minutes of blissful, bright-eyed experimental pop was just the affirmation of life the crowd needed.

Lynne and his band, a tight 12-piece (including three keyboard players) that at times sounded twice as large, were pristine, providing studio-quality audio inside a hockey arena. (They must have soundchecked for six hours to sound that clean.) In Little Caesars Arena's short history, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better-sounding concert, and you might not hear another one this good anytime soon.

Lynne and company — no one from the original band, not that it mattered — played a hits-packed 19-song show, backed by a stellar light show and a backdrop of five video screens.

The video screens projected images of green glitter, fireworks explosions, visions of the stars; they could have been better utilized if they focused on the musicians.

But the songs, wow.

ELO's catalog is packed with complex, multi-layered songs, full of string sections doing loop-the-loops and dive-bombing guitars, and the recreations were spot-on. "Livin' Thing" and "10538 Overture" were full of beaming energy, while "Shine a Little Love," aided by an assault of green lasers, turned the arena into a space disco dance party.

ELO has enough hits in the tank to be one of those bands that hits the summer amphitheater circuit every summer, playing double bills with Boston, the Doobie Brothers or whoever else is willing to pair up for a shed tour.

But Lynne sat it out rather than driving his band into the ground and becoming a rock cliché.

Jeff Lynne's ELO is a 12-member ensemble, featuring cellos, violins, and three keyboards. In this picture,
the band is performing its classic hit "Evil Woman." (Photo: Tom Gromak / Detroit News, )

Thursday's show was better for it: there was a pent-up demand for the songs and a true appreciation for the performance. That's because it felt like something special, something earned. The more bands hit the road, the less the experience means. It's not easy to wait it out — you have to have confidence the audience will still be there for you when you come back — but Thursday's show proved the audience will wait, and the wait will be worth it.

Filmmakers such as Paul Thomas Anderson and David O. Russell have kept ELO's music cool, which is important for an outfit whose chief musical output was more than 40 years ago. While the audience skewed toward the 50s set, there were at least a few in the audience who warmed to the group thanks to placement in films such as "Boogie Nights" and "American Hustle."

Late in the night, the buoyant "Telephone Line" and "Don't Bring Me Down" (featured in a semi-recent Budweiser campaign) were a formidable pair, while the bouncy, effervescent "Mr. Blue Sky" closed the set.

Lynne, who thanked the crowd several times for being a "fantastic" audience, brought the band back out for a roaring encore of "Roll Over Beethoven." And if we don't see ELO back on a Detroit stage again, at least Lynne gave us one last night of blue skies.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-19-18 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-22-18, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

2018-08-21: Judas Priest, Deep Purple, The Temperance Movement at Riverbend Music Center in Cincinnati.

Odd mix of bands. Deep Purple was the closing band, and both Deep Purple and Judas Priest played somewhat small sets. A little disappointed in that. Pretty typical show from both bands, but sounded good. Rob Halford was sucking for air a few times between songs, but sounded really good (not sure how much is his real voice these days). The new Judas Priest material from Firepower came off great live.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.