Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Went to middle aged women's Woodstock...AKA Bon Jovi.
Old 04-29-18, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Durand Jones & The Indications at the Brighton Music Hall in Boston. Great old-school soul and R&B, reminiscent of Otis Redding/James Brown. Definitely an act to keep an eye on!
Old 04-29-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Fort Rock, this year only 5 minutes from my house. Shinedown was my favorite of the night. Tonight it's STP, Breaking Benjamin, Stone Sour, Sevendust and Ozzy.
Old 04-30-18, 09:47 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Saw Kamelot and Delain on Friday night at the Concord in Chicago. It had the largest meet & greet that I've been to, well over 100 people, and since it started 20 minutes late, they had already let the regular crowd into the venue before we even started back through the line a second time for the photo op. Lauren Hart is on tour with Kamelot which is a nice bonus.

Old 04-30-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

What did you think of Battlebeast?

Also, not a fan of these big meet/greets anymore. Seems like they are doing their best to cram in as many people as possible and it's starting to become pointless as comic-con photo-ops/autographs.
Old 04-30-18, 01:58 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
What did you think of Battlebeast?

Also, not a fan of these big meet/greets anymore. Seems like they are doing their best to cram in as many people as possible and it's starting to become pointless as comic-con photo-ops/autographs.
I enjoyed Battlebeast, definitely an old school 80s metal vibe with them

Old 04-30-18, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

^^ At the show I went to, Noora (Battle Beast) hung out at the merch table after their set and signed and took pictures with people. That was pretty cool. She did that when we saw them last year too.
Old 04-30-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

$20 (All-In) Tix on Sale through Livenation this week, picked up some Joan Jett!
Old 04-30-18, 03:34 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Brian Fallon.
Old 04-30-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I enjoyed Battlebeast, definitely an old school 80s metal vibe with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nFVr2tilt8
Goddamn.....thats one of my favorite songs. They're hitting TX in a few weeks, so I may try to catch them.
Old 05-01-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
At a local theater, the filmmakers presented this documentary on the early Boston punk scene, and afterwards a couple of the reformed bands played sets. It was a fun show, and the documentary was quite interesting---the Boston punk scene was kind of unique compared to London, New York, or L.A., because NONE of the Boston bands ever hit it big, and not for want of trying. It was just a lot of bad advice and decisions, and bad luck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/skdjQFAIavs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'll have to see this movie if it ever makes its way west, even if it's a little before my time. I went to school in Boston in the late 80s and immediately got into the local music scene. My grades reflected it. Was a huge fan of The Neighborhoods, still am.
Old 05-05-18, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

2018-05-04: Halestorm, In This Moment, New Years Day, and Stitched Up Heart at the PNC Pavilion in Cincinnati. Somewhat ordinary, but decent show. The sound wasn't particularly good for the openers.
Old 05-06-18, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Kamelot, Delain and Battle Beast last night at The Grove in Anaheim. All band brought their A game. Only nitpicks is that I wished Delain would of played a little longer and headlined instead of Kamelot.
Old 05-07-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

05/06/18
Sarah Shook

@ Bloodshot Records HQ - Chicago IL

Not so much a concert as in-store acoustic set from Sarah and the pedal steel guitarist from her band The Disarmers. If you're not familiar with her - and like bad attitude roadhouse twang - check out their debut 'Sidelong' or the new 'Years' release.
Old 05-08-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Managed to spend one day at the New Orleans Jazz Fest (down here for work). Always a great time, with yummy food, and this was no exception. Headlining act was Aerosmith, who sounded really strong and did a set that was a nice balance between classics (Toys In The Attic, Same Old Song and Dance, Adam's Apple, Last Child) and newer material that the younger crowd appreciated (Don't Wanna Miss A Thing, Janie's Got A Gun, Rag Doll).

Better Than Ezra were a blast, playing a bunch of hits I've always loved. And also they were pretty hilarious and relaxed, with some cover songs thrown in there. Other acts I caught included Corey Henry (New Orleans funk), Lurrie Bell (great Chicago blues), The Revivalists (actually a disappointment, they had some decent moments but overall kinda meh), Deacon John (New Orleans staple, who was great), and Dianne Reeves (jazz legend).
Old 05-08-18, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Managed to spend one day at the New Orleans Jazz Fest (down here for work). Always a great time, with yummy food, and this was no exception. Headlining act was Aerosmith, who sounded really strong and did a set that was a nice balance between classics (Toys In The Attic, Same Old Song and Dance, Adam's Apple, Last Child) and newer material that the younger crowd appreciated (Don't Wanna Miss A Thing, Janie's Got A Gun, Rag Doll).
You know that the newest song that you listed under "newer material" is 20 years old(and the other tracks are closer to 30), right?
Old 05-09-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Saw The Editors last night at Neumos....a much smaller venue than where I first saw them 10yrs ago.(I even wore the 2008 shirt, still fit!) Good energy, played 90+min...came away very satisfied. I haven't really cared for the more electronic sounding recent albums (I haven't given the new one a listen yet either) but they sounded great live.
Old 05-12-18, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

2018-05-11: Ghost at the Taft Theatre in Cincinnati. I said a little more in the Ghost thread, but it was a really good show. I highly recommend them in this small theater type of setting.
Old 05-13-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

05/12/18
David J.

@ The Wine Goddess - Evanston IL

Former Bauhaus/Love and Rockets member David J. (Haskins) is now doing a 'house' show tour (this was in a small wine shop). Most of the set was acoustic, with David telling some some stories, doing some diverse covers (Prince, Okkervil River, Dylan, Violent Femmes) as well as a new stuff. Enjoyable set in a tiny room.

The cello/drum duet Nineteen Thirteen opened, and featured original Violent Femmes drummer Victor DeLorenzo and cellist Janet Schiff. My bad pic above shows DeLorenzo and Schiff (behind David J.) sitting in on a few tunes.
Old 05-17-18, 08:49 AM
Political Exile

Saw Obituary on Sunday, with doom metal Pallbearer and extreme metal band Skeletonwitch opening.

Picked up the Tour bus upgrade for their Meet & Greet VIP and that was worth the small added cost. Hung out with them on the tour bus, but since John was resting in a hotel room, they let us come back after the show to hang out with them a bit longer.

Old 05-17-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Todd Rundgren’s Utopia.

Todd
Kasim Sulton
Willie Wilcox

No Roger Powell. Not sure what he’s doing these days.

Anyway it was in a small theater in St Pete Florida. Maybe 2500 seats at most and it was great.

They had a screen behind them that had moving images themed around the tracks from the album they were playing.

I think they covered almost all their records.

They came out and after 20 minutes of prog rock which was mostly instrumental
Todd said thanks for letting us do some prog rock, maybe we should let up a little.
Then did Elo’s Do ya.

I’ve been a fan of Todd and Utopia for as long as I can remember but I was never really aware of how
much he put into that band away from his solo and engineering/producing work.

Along with Jim Steinman Todd is essentially responsible for Bat Out OF Hell.
Did a stint as The New Cars.
Tons of his own solo records.

My intro to Utopia is Adventures in Utopia which is one of my favorite records.
I never new that the records before it were so so much Progressive concept albums and because of this concert I went and found them and took a listen and fell in love with Utopia all over again.

The show was close to 3 hours not including the intermission.
They played a song from both Kasim and willie’s solo stuff.

The capper was the penultimate and then final song which was Love is the Answer and One World.
He clearly loves Love is the Answer because he was super into it and that energy went right into the crowd.
It was exhilarating.
I have a bunch of short video clips, everyone was recording. They tried to stop people but just gave up. If I it wasn’t such a chore to post vids and pics on dvdtalk I would do it.

I’ll work on it.

Set list
Utopia Theme

The Ikon(excerpt)

Another Life

Do Ya(The Move cover)

Freedom Fighters

The Wheel

Back on the Street

Something's Coming
(Leonard Bernstein cover)

Monument

Overture: Mountaintop and Sunrise / Communion With the Sun

Last of the New Wave Riders

Set 2:
The Road to Utopia

Play This Game

Swing to the Right

Trapped

Set Me Free

Love in Action

Hammer in My Heart

Princess of the Universe

I Will Wait

Rock Love

Love Is the Answer

One World

Encore:
Just One Victory
Old 05-17-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
2018-05-11: Ghost at the Taft Theatre in Cincinnati. I said a little more in the Ghost thread, but it was a really good show. I highly recommend them in this small theater type of setting.
Cool, I saw them at a small theatre over a year ago, that kind of environment is a great venue for them, and if they continue on the trajectory they've been on, there might be less chances to see them at a small place in the future.

Just picked up tix for Dimmu Borgir in Toronto, they are only playing five dates in North America this year, I'm glad one of them is close to me. Have to wait until August though.
Old 05-18-18, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

2018-05-17: Squirrel Nut Zippers at Skully's Music-Diner in Columbus, OH. Very small club venue, but these guys are fun and the crowd was really into them. We had a great time.
Old 05-19-18, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Taylor Swift is playing two nights at the Rose Bowl and I could have gotten comped tickets but these two broads I was trying to fuck flaked out. I'd go solo but that would be a tad too creepy.
Old 05-19-18, 09:10 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Taylor Swift is playing two nights at the Rose Bowl and I could have gotten comped tickets but these two broads I was trying to fuck flaked out. I'd go solo but that would be a tad too creepy.
Ok, Mr. Humblebrag.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.