Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Wow, fantastic pictures!
Thank you very much!
Old 07-22-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

07/21/17

Okkervil River
with Jesse Hale Moore

Old Town School of Folk Music
Chicago IL
Old 07-22-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Alarm, in Somerville, MA last night. I think I've seen Mike Peters/The Alarm 9 or 10 times at this point. They were one of my favorite bands as a kid, I've met Mike several times, and he's just one of the true good guys of rock. Like The Fixx and The English Beat, he's been constantly touring the USA for the last five years or so. Always puts on a great show.

I always love hearing his story about the single "45 RPM". In 2003, the music industry considered The Alarm has-beens, and he couldn't get any airplay. So he wrote and recorded a new song, made up a fake band name (The Poppyfields) and shot a video using some other, younger band. The song climbed the charts, got great airplay and press in the UK, and was touted as a hot new band. Then Mike informed them of the hoax and admitted it was The Alarm.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/erp86MbOggQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-22-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

2 night festival here in Kingsport with

Night Ranger
Rick Springfield
Barenaked Ladies
Huey Lewis and the News.
Old 07-23-17, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

My very first concert ever was Fleetwood Mac on the Tusk tour. Tonight I took my classic rock-loving daughter to see Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie perform at the new, intimate Park Theater at the Monte Carlo. I thought it was cool seeing them do some of the same songs I had seen them do 37 years ago.
They also did a lot of new stuff. I wasn't aware until yesterday that they had released a new album together. Some of the new material was pretty strong and catchy.
Old 07-23-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

07/22/17

Bodeans
Smithereens

New Lenox IL
Old 07-23-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

THE REVOLUTION in San Francisco, playing some of their best Prince tunes.

SHEILA E at the State Fair in Sacramento, also playing her stuff and some great Prince material.
Old 07-24-17, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
07/22/17

Bodeans
Smithereens

New Lenox IL
Normally you list stuff I've never heard of, but now you're in my wheelhouse. How was the show?
Old 07-25-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Decker
Normally you list stuff I've never heard of, but now you're in my wheelhouse. How was the show?
Smithereens were fantastic - and a real reminder just how many great songs they have put out. Pat Dinizio, plagued by some well-documented physical issues, still sounds as strong as ever. They were a blast, and seeing them again has rekindled my appreciation for a band that I sadly may have overlooked in recent years.

Bodeans, on the other hand, were a bit of a let down - and that's coming from someone who used to hold them in high regard. Frontman Kurt Neumann is the only original member left. A lot of overlong, extended editions of anything remotely well known were kind of cliche concert moments. The absence of Sammy Llanas' voice was a big gap, leaving just a band going through what I would call "generic rock band" moves. On the plus side, session king Kenny Aronoff was on drums, and he is always a trip to watch play.
Old 07-25-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I went to MSG for the first time and saw night 2 of Phish's 13 night run (aka The Bakers Dozen). Pretty amazing show with a huge improvement in the lights after the video screens they used last year. In fact, the lighting guy for Phish designed the lights for all of MSG, so he is able to control every light in the house from his board. Some really cool effects going on. Each night the band has a theme donut that works into the set, my night was strawberry, so they opened up with Strawberry Fields Forever (acapella) and played Strawberry Letter 23 in the 2nd set.
Old 07-25-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

7/23/2017 - saw Rogers Waters at the United Center in Chicago. Great show. I'm thinking without the extensive multimedia production values, the new songs wouldn't go over as well (at one point he did 3 in a row; I enjoyed them but the crowd was staring to get fidgety).

Eddie Vedder came out to sing the David Gilmour vocal portion of "Comfortably Numb".
Old 07-25-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tonight!

Old 07-25-17, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Smithereens were fantastic - and a real reminder just how many great songs they have put out. Pat Dinizio, plagued by some well-documented physical issues, still sounds as strong as ever. They were a blast, and seeing them again has rekindled my appreciation for a band that I sadly may have overlooked in recent years.

Bodeans, on the other hand, were a bit of a let down - and that's coming from someone who used to hold them in high regard. Frontman Kurt Neumann is the only original member left. A lot of overlong, extended editions of anything remotely well known were kind of cliche concert moments. The absence of Sammy Llanas' voice was a big gap, leaving just a band going through what I would call "generic rock band" moves. On the plus side, session king Kenny Aronoff was on drums, and he is always a trip to watch play.
Thanks for that update. Would love to see the Smithereens. Bummer that the Bodeans aren't that great any more -- I loved their first album back in the day. I agree about Aronoff though - he was the main reason I've seen John Mellencamp in concert several times and I never understood why Mellencamp ever let him go
Old 07-26-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

John Mayer last night in Anaheim. I had never seen him, and always regret missing the Trio tour...He played with the core trio band, the whole night and did Full Band/Acoustic/Trio/Full Band/Epilogue sets...

It was nice being able to bring in my recorder and have no issues taping out in the open.

Full Band

Trio

Since he allows recordings, mine is up on the archive...Feel free to stream or download.
https://archive.org/details/johnmayer2017-07-25.flac

Last edited by Chrisedge; 07-26-17 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-26-17, 02:50 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I'm going to see Hans Zimmer tonight.

Upcoming... a nice break in August. But September holds: Roger Waters, Depeche Mode, Arcade Fire
Old 07-30-17, 06:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold on the floor of the Rose Bowl last night. Metallica delivers, as always. I was very happy to hear them play Motorbreath. Avenged and Gojira put on a good show as well. Next week: Slayer, Lamb Of God and Behemoth!
Old 07-30-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw John Mellencamp a few weeks ago and Tom Petty last week. Both at Forest Hills tennis center in Queens NY.
Old 07-30-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

The Romantics @Mystic Lake, Prior Lake (Twin Cities) MN

Great rock act still going strong.
Old 08-02-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to the 90s Tour last Sunday. Over three hours long, people were walking out halfway through the headliner's set. I get it but it was still embarrassing.

*TLC
*Blackstreet
*Naughty by Nature
*Biz Markie
*Snap
*(Freedom Williams (lineup said C+C Music Factory but it was just him)
*Bushwick Bill and Willie D showed up unannounced and did My Mind is Playing Tricks on Me - then Treach's drunk/high ass knocked Bushwick off the stage. To a midget, that's like falling off Mt Everest. He lived.
Old 08-06-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Guns N Roses
Mile High, Denver

Setlist was good, my seats were quite good, crowd around me was fun. Sound was abysmal, aside from Slash. Whoever did the sound could have learned a thing or two from Metallica's sound guys. Metallica sounded fantastic at the same venue. I even wandered over to the same area I was in for Metallica, and GNR still sounded terrible.
Old 08-06-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Social Distortion The Paramount Huntington LI NY
Old 08-06-17, 06:05 PM

Bryan Ferry at Palace Theater in St. Paul. Wonderful show! I've seen him every time he hits the Twin Cities (5xs) - Opened with The Main Thing, did a stunning Remake/Remodel; Avalon with org singer Yannick, which was so awesome. Fonzi Thornton was also on background vocals. Chris Spedding on guitar. His sharp sharp 9 piece band NAILED Out Of The Blue with the violin coda. It was a must see concert for me!!
Old 08-06-17, 06:06 PM

Enjoyed Radio Church at the Uptown Art Fair to end the weekend very well - I don't care for rap but their blend of street talk, harmony and jazz/funk was very good.
Old 08-06-17, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Slayer, Lamb Of God and Behemoth at The Forum in L.A. last night. All three bands kicked some major ass!. Slayer was filming for a concert DVD/Blu-Ray that night. A camera man came our group in the parking lot before the show and interviewed us. Once they were done, the cameraman was really excited and said we were the best group that he interviewed that day. I think there's a good chance we'll be on the DVD. I'll post in this thread again if I do end up on there.
Old 08-08-17, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Cage and the Bottlemen and Green Day at Usana in SLC.

Cage was good, but short, about 5 songs.
Green Day was like comfort food. 24 songs from Kerplunk all the way to Revolution Radio. They skipped any from Uno/Dos/Tres, which I didn't mind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.