Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 11-30-14, 09:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

pianist George Winston at Strathmore
Old 11-30-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it--yeah, I think Hook is really doing great by the fans with this tour.
At the show I went to, the New Order stuff mostly focused on Low Life and Brotherhood, then later in Pomona he did a show that focused on Movement and PC&L (with the Joy Division stuff staying the same). I'm glad I went to the show I did, because while I like those first two NO albums just fine, I like the other two better, that, and they fucking killed Perfect Kiss, which was easily the song of the night.
Old 12-01-14, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
... and they fucking killed Perfect Kiss, which was easily the song of the night.
Absolutely--my favorite as well. And I noticed with that great riff at the end, where he moves up to the higher register of the bass, they extended the song so they could repeat that a couple times---really awesome live.
Old 12-02-14, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

The Dead Deads, New Medicine, and Halestorm at Bogart's in Cincy last night.

I didn't care for the openers much, but did enjoy Halestorm. Lzzy has a strong voice.
Old 12-02-14, 05:01 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None. Unfortunately, they don't have concerts in this part of the city :-(
Old 12-02-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Saw Ace Frehley at Trees (Dallas) last night. Insanely loud, but a lot of fun.
Old 12-06-14, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

St. Vincent Tuesday at the Chicago theater. Was a great show! The opening band,future islands, was terrible.
Old 12-06-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

I am in love with Annie (St. Vincent) Clark. Super talented, way cool and just gorgeous - what's not to love?
Old 12-06-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neitzl
St. Vincent Tuesday at the Chicago theater. Was a great show! The opening band,future islands, was terrible.
yeah, but how was his dancing?
Old 12-09-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy crap was it terrible! I think he was born to be a skater, not a singer.
Old 12-09-14, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I am in love with Annie (St. Vincent) Clark. Super talented, way cool and just gorgeous - what's not to love?
She was incredible. Loved how she finished the show. She walked up the center aisle, all the way back by me, and got on some random guys shoulders. He took her back to the stage, did a handstand, sang, and stopped. it was great! Love her
Old 12-14-14, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Just got out of the Smashing Pumpkins show here in Vegas at the new Brooklyn Bowl venue (SRO 2000-person capacity, with a restaurant in the back and bowling alley on the side). They had the bassist from The Killers and the drummer from Rage along with Billy and Jeff. I was really surprised how good the show was. I've never seen the band before and I guess I didn't realize what a great guitarist
Billy is. His voice is still really strong and distinctive. They played most of their many hits and sounded great. After the show they went to a local record store for an acoustic set and signing session, but I called it a night. What a cool show and a pleasant surprise. If not for the pushing and shoving of the crowd, it would have been a perfect night. I'm getting to the age where I shouldn't really go to shows if there aren't seats.
Old 12-14-14, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Animals as Leaders w/ Devin Townsend, Monuments @ The Gothic Theatre

Caught the last song from Monuments, not bad. Devin had a good show with good energy, a great band and the crowd got into it, some catchy songs, but a little to slapstick for me. AAL are a juggernaut. Insanely tight considering how complex and technical their music is. I never get tired watching their drummer either, who is an absolute beast.
Old 12-14-14, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

A couple of weeks back, a friend had an extra ticket to Fitz and the Tantrums, with Big Data opening. I didn't know either band beforehand (because I'm old) but I had a really good time and I'm now a fan of both bands.
Old 12-15-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by woofman
Animals as Leaders w/ Devin Townsend, Monuments @ The Gothic Theatre

Caught the last song from Monuments, not bad. Devin had a good show with good energy, a great band and the crowd got into it, some catchy songs, but a little to slapstick for me. AAL are a juggernaut. Insanely tight considering how complex and technical their music is. I never get tired watching their drummer either, who is an absolute beast.
Same show. Monuments was fun, although the music didn't really thrill me. Devin Townsend was great, and in his case I like the corny jokey nonsense. Animals as Leaders sounded great, and while I like instrumental metal, I bailed a couple of songs in. It was good music, but I was kind of just there and not really into it.
Old 12-25-14, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Same show. Monuments was fun, although the music didn't really thrill me. Devin Townsend was great, and in his case I like the corny jokey nonsense. Animals as Leaders sounded great, and while I like instrumental metal, I bailed a couple of songs in. It was good music, but I was kind of just there and not really into it.
Such a cool venue, was my first time there. I'll be there this Saturday for Russian Circles too- weather permitting.
Old 12-28-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Sat Dec 27 @ Music Hall Of Williamsburg
Old 12-29-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by woofman
Such a cool venue, was my first time there. I'll be there this Saturday for Russian Circles too- weather permitting.
Yeah, the Gothic is one of the best venues in Denver, especially in the sound department. They have their speakers dialed in perfectly, it sounds good almost anywhere.
Old 12-30-14, 04:07 PM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Yeah, the Gothic is one of the best venues in Denver, especially in the sound department. They have their speakers dialed in perfectly, it sounds good almost anywhere.
What do you think of their ticket provider, AXS?
Old 12-31-14, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
If I may dip in on this, I've been to shows at several different venues that AXS does the ticketing for and so far I've been very pleased. I've used their mobile app to gain entrance to the Gothic Theatre twice now and it was a smooth process. No complaints thus far from my experiences.
Old 01-01-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I preferred it when the Gothic allowed more independent sales (NIPP, for example). AXS blocks a lot of smaller or local bands from booking the place. Overall, I don't see them as being any different than Ticketmaster, high fees included. Prior to AXS, fees were as low as $3/ticket, the Devin Townsend show the fees were up to $7/ticket. AXS box offices aren't open at convenient times for me, so I took a chance on the last show and bought the day of the show. Luckily I got two tickets just prior to it selling out.

Long story short: I equate them to Ticketmaster. High fees, low value, excluding of small/local bands.
Old 01-09-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts

Saw The Flesh Eaters last night. The "Minute To Pray" Lineup with Chris D., John Doe, Dave Alvin, Bill Bateman, Steve Berlin & D.J. Bonebrake.

Cyrano De Berger's Back
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W4fnvma3uq0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of the openers was interesting...Skater Polly. Two stepsisters, 14 & 17. I though they reminded me a Tanya Donelly/Throwing Muses kinda vibe.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nd8-KeDPGtQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-11-15, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts

Had nosebleeded for Dave Grohl's Birthday Foo Fighters show...no opener, no encore and it was 3 1/2 hours. 10 guests, including David Lee Roth, Lemmy, Slash and more..

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0Gbz5gHZhMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Chrisedge; 01-13-15 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-20-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The Psychedelic Furs
Sun Jan 18 @ Music Hall Of Williamsburg

Richard Butler's voice is still amazing!

Old 01-24-15, 07:29 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Saw Hatebreed last night, the final show of their winter tour. It was just them headlining, so we got to hear a few deeper catalog cuts. Crowd surfers were in full force, maybe 4 or 5 per song, I think I hurt my neck from a couple that came over a bit rough before I could get a hand up.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Kv66hb4fB4Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o4CL9dqOseA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.