Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Wow, that lineup makes me woozy with nostalgia.

Saw Mumford & Sons on their Gentlemen of the Road Stopover tour in Bristol TN / VA. Dawes and Jeff the Brotherhood were in the lineup as well. Good show. Good crowd. Beautiful weather which was nice since we were standing in a parking lot for 6 hours.
I've seen Dawes 3 times in the past year as themselves AND saw them play as the backup band for M.Ward and Conor Oberst on separate occasions (and mixed in with Middle Brother). A talented group of youngsters...
Old 08-16-12, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw Bruce Springsteen last night at Fenway Park. 3 1/2 hours of full of energy and great music. First time seeing him in concert and definitely in my top 5 concerts of all time.

Have tickets to see J Geils Band (or whatever name they may call themselves after lawsuits) in 3 weeks at House of Blues in Boston.
Old 08-16-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Twenty One Pilots, Walk The Moon & Neon Trees at Town Ballroom in Buffalo. Incredible energy from all 3 bands but Walk The Moon was definitely the highlight.
Old 08-16-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Springsteen at Fenway Park last night---awesome! I'm a moderate Springsteen fan (own about half of his output, I'd say) but this was the first time seeing him. I see why his live shows are considered legendary. Great setting, great weather, and he played Atlantic Ciy, Badlands and Born to Run, so I was happy. I like the new album well enough, too.
Originally Posted by k_lodge
Saw Bruce Springsteen last night at Fenway Park. 3 1/2 hours of full of energy and great music. First time seeing him in concert and definitely in my top 5 concerts of all time.
Great to hear. My favorite concert of all time was Springsteen the first time I saw him (Sports Arena, L.A., 1988). Glad that he still brings it all these years later. I'm sure it's an amazing show but it just couldn't be the same without The Big Man. What sort of a tribute do they do in his honor?

Wish he'd play Vegas but in my 9 years here he's had I think 3 world tours and never comes here.
Old 08-16-12, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Jason Mraz
Christina Perri
How was the concert? We go in Oct!! Did he do a lot of his older songs, or stick to mostly the new album?

Very cool that you went to see him.
Old 08-16-12, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Great to hear. My favorite concert of all time was Springsteen the first time I saw him (Sports Arena, L.A., 1988). Glad that he still brings it all these years later. I'm sure it's an amazing show but it just couldn't be the same without The Big Man. What sort of a tribute do they do in his honor?

Wish he'd play Vegas but in my 9 years here he's had I think 3 world tours and never comes here.
Actually I was surprised he didnt mention Clarence Clemmmons (although The Big Man's nephew Jake Clemmons was playing the sax). During the show, when he played My City of Ruins he talked about people not with us anymore but turned it into a dedication to Johnny Pesky (complete with spotlight on retired #6 and Pesky pole lighted up). Was a nice touch for the Boston crowd.
Old 08-16-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by k_lodge
Actually I was surprised he didnt mention Clarence Clemmmons (although The Big Man's nephew Jake Clemmons was playing the sax). During the show, when he played My City of Ruins he talked about people not with us anymore but turned it into a dedication to Johnny Pesky (complete with spotlight on retired #6 and Pesky pole lighted up). Was a nice touch for the Boston crowd.
He didn't mention Clarence by name. Instead, when the band got to the lyrics "And the Big Man joined the band", they stopped dead, and a video collage of Clarence played silently on the screens. He was also referenced earlier in the show, when Bruce was talking about "ghosts" and missing friends, while three spotlights lit up Danny Fedirici's organ, Clarence's microphone, and the Peksy Pole.

I've seen Bruce on every tour since '80, usually multiple times, and last night's show was in my Top 3 of all time. He blew through curfew, played over 3.5 hours, did covers and deep tracks and took requests. Just amazing! (The reviewers from both Backstreets and the Boston Globe said that this was one of the best shows EVER from Bruce & company.)
Old 08-17-12, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

8/16/12: Nashville Pussy @ Ace of Spades (Sacramento)

Finally got to see them and it was fucking awesome.
Old 08-17-12, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spammied
How was the concert? We go in Oct!! Did he do a lot of his older songs, or stick to mostly the new album?

Very cool that you went to see him.
I'd say it was about 70/30 new stuff/old stuff. Did about a 95-100 minute set with encore.
Old 08-17-12, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
He didn't mention Clarence by name. Instead, when the band got to the lyrics "And the Big Man joined the band", they stopped dead, and a video collage of Clarence played silently on the screens. He was also referenced earlier in the show, when Bruce was talking about "ghosts" and missing friends, while three spotlights lit up Danny Fedirici's organ, Clarence's microphone, and the Peksy Pole.

I've seen Bruce on every tour since '80, usually multiple times, and last night's show was in my Top 3 of all time. He blew through curfew, played over 3.5 hours, did covers and deep tracks and took requests. Just amazing! (The reviewers from both Backstreets and the Boston Globe said that this was one of the best shows EVER from Bruce & company.)
Wow -- didn't get to see the video collage. We started heading out during "Quarter To Three" since we had to take Green Line back to Riverside and then drive an hour after that. (didn't want to be stuck waiting for available space on the T for 2 hours - which I had at Buffet concert a few years ago there). Now it makes sense why we heard a pause in music when outside the park.
Old 08-18-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Wow. Sounds amazing. I wish I could go see him, but his nearest show to me is Anaheim on a Tuesday, and that would mean missing two days of work. Can't swing that right now. But if I could, I would. There's really no other performer who delivers like Springsteen and the E Street Band. And they've been doing it for 40 years!
Old 08-18-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

08/17/12:
Bobby Bare Jr / Eef Barzelay
Schuba's in Chicago

Great acoustic set, with Bare and Barzelay sharing the stage...
Old 08-18-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Duran Duran
8/11/12
Orange County Fair

sold out show, great set list, band sounded fantastic.

Peter Murphy
8/16/12
The Roxy

Couldn't resist seeing him again, my third time in about a year and a half, supporting his latest "Ninth" release. His voice still sounds as strong as it did back in the Bauhaus days. Opening song: "In the Flat Field".
Old 08-18-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jippy
Duran Duran
8/11/12
Orange County Fair

sold out show, great set list, band sounded fantastic.

Peter Murphy
8/16/12
The Roxy

Couldn't resist seeing him again, my third time in about a year and a half, supporting his latest "Ninth" release. His voice still sounds as strong as it did back in the Bauhaus days. Opening song: "In the Flat Field".
I saw Peter Murphy in Boston last fall (or early this year? can't remember), and it was a fantastic show. He still sounds great, and I think "Ninth" is my favorite solo album of his.
Old 08-18-12, 01:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I listened to some of the Poison/Def Leopard concert at Hershey Park the other night. Def closed with "Pour Some Sugar On Me". Punny.
Old 08-18-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Morning Jacket w/Band of Horses @ The LC in Columbus, OH

I knew nothing about MMJ going into this show, but wow was I impressed with their live performance. Great catchy songs and beautifully crafted guitar-oriented melodies-whatever that means. Not a dud in the 2 hr 40 min set.
Old 08-18-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

8/17/12: Civil War Rust @ 924 Gilman St.
8/17/12: Deadfest 2012: Day 1 @ The Oakland Metro Opera House

I couldn't decide, so I went to both shows in the same night
Old 08-18-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jippy
peter murphy
8/16/12
the roxy

Opening song: "In the Flat Field".
Nice
Old 08-19-12, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

The Steve Miller Band at a local outdoor ampitheater (probably 4,500 capacity) was packed with everyone from 16 to 70 years old. Still has the voice and played all the hits...it was $25.00 for general admission
Old 08-20-12, 05:37 PM

Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper 3 times, both were great everytime (as expected).
Old 08-20-12, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Jack Grisham's Lost Soul featuring the music of T.S.O.L. & The Joykiller

The Studio @ Webster Hall
NYC
Old 08-20-12, 08:34 PM
Cool New Member

Michale Graves, The Cheats, Xs For Eyes, and Railroad City Murder Machine @ Aldo's Lounge, Altoona PA
Old 08-20-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

8/18 - My Morning Jacket @ Merriweather Post Pavilion - Fun show, non-stop great music. Loved the Rock the Casbah cover, that followed by One Big Holiday got me jumping around.
Old 08-21-12, 07:23 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

For you guys who have seen Springsteen recently, how late does he come on the stage after the start time on the ticket? I'm seeing him at Wrigley Field next month, and just wondering what time I should get there (ticket time says 7:30).
Old 08-21-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't be too late. At Fenway, he went on at 7:10pm the first night, and 7:30pm the second night. Although the start time was listed as 6:30pm, so you might have to adjust accordingly. (The early start time was because of a 10:30pm curfew. Which he ignored the second night anyway!)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.