Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by inri222
I was fortunate to have my band on the bill with them when they played in November of 2010.
Still jealous! On top of what I mentioned before, you got to see/share the stage with Breakdown? Too awesome!

Saw Toxic Holocaust/Midnight/Zombie Holocaust/Crypt Keeper tonight in San Francisco. Midnight were SO good.
Old 05-28-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A few weeks ago, I saw Kina Grannis (and Imaginary Friend) as their tour rolled through. Certainly not the type of concert I attend, but both acts were very good. As I get older and go to fewer concerts, I can see this type of gig becoming more common.

(I'm so happy I bumped in to her video here on DVDTalk.)
Old 05-29-12, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nasum/Landmine Marathon/Brainoil/Your Enemy @ Oakland Metro

I feel I should stop posting in this thread. This is the 21st concert/show I've been to this year
Old 05-30-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Saw Steve Winwood last night at Wolf Trap, great show. My only complaint was there was a bass line for most of the songs but no bass player on stage, wonder if he had somebody back stage playing it.

I also have the worst weather luck seeing Winwood, seen him 3 times, twice in the middle of thunderstorms and once when it was 100+ degrees.
Old 05-30-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Just saw Joe Bonamassa last night - in his first ever visit to Portland, ME - being only passingly familiar with his music. (Other than the Black Country Communion albums, I own none of his solo work).

I was offered a pair of free tix from a friend in radio - and since I have another friend who is a huge Bonamassa fan, but wasn't able to get tix to this sold out show, I invited him along with me.

Gotta say, I'm a fan of him now. Truly amazing show, and mind-numbingly brilliant guitar playing, and singing, on Bonamassa's part! If you like good blues based guitar rock, his show is well worth checking out. He put many other artists in the same genre I have seen before to shame. The crowd was also totally into it, too, and you could tell he was truly humbled by the reaction he was getting on this inaugural gig here.
I saw him when he was an absolute nobody opening for Peter Frampton in Morristown, like 10 years ago. That dude shreds and knows his blues. I haven't seen him since (although, the last two live shows he has on DVD are excellent), but if it is like the albums he is putting out it is probably very polished. And there is nothing wrong with that.

PS - His new record is fantastic
Old 05-30-12, 04:27 PM

I've only seen him with BCC and he was pretty darn awesome.
Old 05-31-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On Saturday, I went to see Danzig perform a legacy set @ Irvine Meadows. God, I fucking love that venue so much. I'll be sad to see it go in 2017.
Old 06-01-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw mewithoutYou Wednesday Night along with Buried Beds. I've got to say that mwy drummer Rickie is a madman.
Old 06-01-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
On Saturday, I went to see Danzig perform a legacy set @ Irvine Meadows. God, I fucking love that venue so much. I'll be sad to see it go in 2017.
2017?

I thought this was the last year? (Condos going up quickly right outside venue)

Edited to add: I see the lease is up in 2017, I thought it was going away this year...
Old 06-02-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Radiohead - Mansfield MA
Field Mouse - Mercury Lounge, NYC
I Break Horses - Mercury Lounge, NYC
Radiohead - Newark NJ

Here's their performance of Idioteque that had some issues, but was still great. Love Thom's reaction.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sJUW4mNLFec?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sJUW4mNLFec?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 06-05-12, 02:02 PM

I covered night one of Radiohead and stayed for a bit of the show. Were you only at night 2?
Old 06-06-12, 12:17 AM

I just got home from Roger Waters' The Walll Live. First live performance that I have ever went to. I'm not much for large crowds or loud music, but this was outstanding. One of the most prominent experiences of my entire life. Extraordinary.
Old 06-06-12, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I covered night one of Radiohead and stayed for a bit of the show. Were you only at night 2?
Yeah only there for night 2.
Old 06-07-12, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

6/6/12: Church of Misery/Hail!Hornet/The Gates of Slumber

I'm speechless.
Old 06-07-12, 05:57 AM

Thrice 6/1/12 Detroit, MI Filmore Theater
Old 06-07-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by iggystar
Thrice 6/1/12 Detroit, MI Filmore Theater
I I just saw Thrice in Lincoln on 6/5. They were pretty good. But whoever did their lighting needs to go back to school. For at least 1/3 of their set it was impossible to keep looking at the stage because the flashing lights were directly shining the in crowds faces. I thought I was going to have a seizure.
Old 06-13-12, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

6/12/12: Thrice/Animals As Leaders/O'Brother

Thrice and Animals As Leaders were awesome. My friend and showed up late so we could skip O'Brother. We both agree that we liked them recorded, but we saw them live earlier this year and they were boring live.
Old 06-13-12, 02:49 PM

At Bonnaroo this past weekend:

Radiohead
Phish
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Soja
Alabama Shakes
Sharon Jones
The Beach Boys
Dispatch
Avett Brothers
Foster the People
Alice Cooper
Flogging Molly

As usual, Phish blew me away, as did RHCP. Alabama Shakes should be huge pretty soon as well, great and extremely talented band.
Old 06-13-12, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Radiohead - Mansfield MA
Field Mouse - Mercury Lounge, NYC
I Break Horses - Mercury Lounge, NYC
Radiohead - Newark NJ

Here's their performance of Idioteque that had some issues, but was still great. Love Thom's reaction.

Yeah im seeing Radiohead this friday in Montreal! Should be awesome!

I've seen them in 1997 for Ok Computer tour and then in 2002 i think for Amnesiac Tour which was outdoors and i hate outdoor shows! and then only one of my fav band could make me go see ANOTHER outdoor show which was in 2005 i believe for the Hail to the Thief tour and then i was really glad they decided to go for more intimate smaller venue tour in 2007 for the pre-In Rainbows tour and the last time they came to Montreal it was ANOTHER outdoor show which i decided not to go.

So very happy to see them INDOORS again!

Hard to know what we'll get as set lists change so much from show to show. one of the recent shows they had FOUR Ok Computer songs which i really hope we'll be as lucky!
Old 06-14-12, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Tonight we saw LMFAO with the Far East Movement here in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Old 06-15-12, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

6/15/12: Municipal Waste/Attitude Adjustment (Secret Show!)

Announced literally 5 hours before the show started. Crazy fun.
Old 06-18-12, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

6/17/12: Marduk/1349/Weapon/Withered

Next shows I'm going to are, Southern Lord Tour (6/21/12) and Death To All Tour (6/22/12).

I'm really happy with this week of shows
Old 06-18-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

^How is your hearing holding up? I could do maybe a show a week and even with that my ears are ringing and head is pounding for a bit of time afterwards. I see that you went to two shows in three days and these bands don't appear to be the quiet type.
Old 06-18-12, 01:24 PM

I guess I should start posting in here since going to concerts is such a big part of my life. Here are some recent ones I have attended:

5/15 M83 w/ I Break Horses at Marathon Music Works in Nashville, TN

This show was amazing. M83 puts on such a fun show that you can lose your mind to.

5/16 Jack White w/ Alabama Shakes at The Ryman Auditorium in Nashville

Legendary!

5/19 Greg Laswell w/ Elizabeth Ziman at 3rd and Lindsley in Nashville
5/21 St. Vincent w/ Shearwater at The Cannery Ballroom in Nashville

This lady is one of the loves of my life and her performance did not disappoint. Amazing show from both bands.

6/7 Communion Nashville Launch Night featuring Trampled by Turtles, Robers Ellis, Michael Kiwanuka, Shovels & Rope, Cory Chisel & The Wandering Sons, and Night Beds.
6/3 Joseph Arthur w/ Anderson East and Zach Broocke at 3rd & Lindsley in Nashville
6/9 The Shins w/ The Antlers and Deep Sea Diver at Iroquois Amphitheatre in Louisville, KY

The Shins were amazing as I expected, and it was great being able to see The Antlers again. The only drawback to this show was the people talking loudly behind me during The Antlers and I wish The Antlers had been able to play longer.

6/12 Graffiti 6 In-Store performance at Grimey's New & Preloved Music in Nashville

This week I have Roger Waters, Of Montreal, Tenacious D, and Norah Jones. It's going to be a great week.
Old 06-18-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
^How is your hearing holding up? I could do maybe a show a week and even with that my ears are ringing and head is pounding for a bit of time afterwards. I see that you went to two shows in three days and these bands don't appear to be the quiet type.
For the shows I remember to bring my ear plugs to (I keep a box in the glove box of my car), they are fine.

At the ones I forget, they ring for a little bit afterward. Not too bad.

The last time my hearing went completely out was Neurosis back in 2007. Lost hearing in one of my ears and it freaked me out.

This year, I forgot to bring ear plugs to the Church of Misery show and that was by far the loudest show I've been to this year. Felt like I dodged a bullet with my hearing.

Been going to a lot of shows as part of my New Year's Resolution. I love music and love going to shows, but realized over the years I let my friends dictate what shows I went to. There were even times I was talked out of going to certain shows. If I couldn't get one of them to go I usually wouldn't go. After giving it some thought, I wondered why. Now I don't care, I'm going to enjoy the music I like regardless if I roll with 5 people or enjoy shows on my own.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.