Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 06-03-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw Flotsam & Jetsam over the weekend. They are doing a headlining tour promoting their new album End of Chaos. The new material is really good, their last couple albums have really been a return to top form. A smallish crowd in Joliet for them, they really need to figure out how to get Jason Newsted to join them for a tour to get their brand back up. They deserve more recognition.

Last edited by PerryD; 06-03-19 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add video
Old 06-03-19, 08:54 AM

Saw John Prine over the weekend. Put on a great show and had several good stories to tell. He played for a solid 110 minutes. Not bad for the old guy.
Old 06-07-19, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Flew my daughter from Vegas to Indy to see her favorite band Vampire Weekend. Outdoor show, no reserved seats. Not usually my thing. Plus my daughter wanted to get up close of course so I was standing for hours. At least it didn't rain. Don't feel great right now but it was a fantastic show. It is their first tour in 6 years and this was only their second stop. Wonderful performance and our "seats" (or whatever you call your location in a SRO show) was amazing, with thankfully no shoving courtesy of polite Midwesterners

Old 06-10-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Specials
L.A. Salami

@ The Vic
Chicago IL
06/08/19

The band sounded great - and kept the new stuff to a minimum - so it was largely their better known material.
Vocalist Terry Hall had an odd presence onstage, however, and while he was in fine voice he seemed really awkward and uncomfortable to be performing.
And no 'Ghost Town' - which is arguably their biggest hit (at least in my mind). In checking setlist.fm it seems they have only been doing that song sporadically on this tour. A minor disappointment in an otherwise fun night.

Opening act L.A. Salami did a meandering set, with his long tunes separated by far too long tune-ups in between. I will check out his recorded stuff because I liked the sound, but live it was a bit dry.
Old 06-11-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Saw Chromatics in Portland on Saturday. Desire was the second opening act and a super treat to behold. Johnny Jewell is one of the hardest working men in music; he set up most of the equipment before Desire went on, played with Desire, then a full set with Chromatics. The live show was mind blowing and a many of the live orchestrations were much richer experiences than the albums. Iím holding out hope when Jewell gets back from Europe, he does some Glass Candy live shows (Chromatics and Glass Candy have major Portland roots.)
Old 06-11-19, 07:37 AM

Death Cab For Cutie w/ Jenny Lewis last night.
The National w/ Courtney Barnett tonight.