Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 07:53 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by bralph
Royal Blood was great! I'm constantly amazed by two person bands like them that are able to put together such a great sound. Royal Blood, Black Keys, White Stripes. Big fan of them all.

QoTSA was really good too, but really I was there for Royal Blood, and was not disappointed.
Check out Japandroids and Death From Above if you aren't already aware of them.
Old 10-21-17, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Old 10-22-17, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
@Rex Fenestrarum: Here's that show I mentioned earlier. Found it online again. It's absolutely amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV8Gl12vWDU
Nice! I'll check it out tomorrow night!
Old 10-22-17, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

So... I'm about a month late, but I did see Saint Etienne at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC on 9/25:

We got to the venue super-early, 'cos I didn't fly 700+ miles to stand at the back of the room. We had a couple drinks at the downstairs bar, and the bouncer eventually opened the door to the stage area. He mentioned something about "limited seating" being available. Since I'm 46 (old, decrepit knees) and don't like crowds, I grabbed the missus and rushed up to the balcony. We got seats near the front of the balcony, looking down on the stage. It was a great view!

The setlist was nice: a lot of stuff off their new album, Home Counties, which is great, 'cos I love it. But there were plenty of older tunes, like "Hug My Soul", "Kiss and Make Up" and "Sylvie". They also had Debsey Wykes on hand to sing "Who Do You Think You Are" (random trivia: Wykes was in an all-girl band called Dolly Mixture, who did the backup vocals on Captain Sensible's "Wot"). I really liked their updated version of "Like a Motorway", but I think some of their new songs didn't sound quite "there" yet. Still, all in all, it was a fantastic show - lots of new material, but plenty of their greatest hits to keep old fans like me happy. Saint Etienne are the oldest band I still have in my regular rotation, and finally seeing them after almost 19 years of fandom meant a lot to me.

The Bowery Ballroom was nice. Friendly staff, a decent selection of drinks (yaaaa Guinness!), and they actually had bars open on all three levels for the show. One of my only complaints - and this is about New York City generally as much as the Bowery Ballroom - is why are so many places in NYC cash only? Seems like almost everywhere we went was cash only. It was weird, coming from Charlotte, where I might go 6-8 weeks without any cash in my wallet, 'cos there are so few places around here that don't take debit.

Also, after the show we walked over to Great NY Noodletown, where I got Hong Kong style lo mein with roast pork. Highly recommended!
Old 10-22-17, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Same venue, same day but a couple hours prior to the show I attended (they did 2 shows in one night, some were able to stay for both but first show sold out before I could buy a ticket.)
Old 10-22-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Foo Fighters on 10/15/17. First time seeing them in seventeen years. Fantastic 2 1/2 hour, 27 song performance. I was parked near the busses and saw some fans waiting so I decided to wait and ended up getting a picture with Taylor Hawkins as he came over to chat, sign autographs and pose for pictures. My pics from the show = https://www.flickr.com/photos/223254...57687360423501
Old 11-06-17, 12:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Went to Ozzfest last night. Here's a detailed report.

Got there a bit later than we expected, around noonish. After chilling for a bit, we got in on time to see some of Suffocation’s set. Then we looked at some booths and watched Iron Reagan’s set. They were awesome. It was mentioned at the end of their set that they were going to be signing in a bit. I bought one of their CDs and was able to meet three of the members of the band. I got autographs and pics with them. As we were waiting in line, we got to hear most of Possessed ‘s set, they sounded pretty good. After that, we got some merch and watched the last couple of songs from Baroness. Up next was Kreator, the band I was looking forward to seeing the most. They did not disappoint. They played most of the songs that I wanted to hear. They even had a wall of death. I even saw a guy dressed up as a purple Unicorn in the pit. I also saw a dude in a Pikachu costume. Never thought that I would see that in a Kreator pit. I am definitely going to try to see Kreator again when they tour next year. Next we made our way to the main stage grass area and saw the last bit of Orange Goblin’s set. They weren’t too bad. They were selling Trooper beer, so of course I got one but it was ridiculously expensive: $16.50 for a can. Next was Children of Bodom and they were awesome. A pit started near us and once again I saw Pikachu moshing. Got some food and it was time for the band I was least looking forward to seeing: The Deftones. They sucked. I've seen them three times and they have been terrible each time. One positive note, they did perform the “Shove it” part of “My Own Summer (Shove It)” correctly, but it still sucked. I went to the restroom and got lost trying to find my sister and brother-in-law. It was really dark at this point compared to the rest of the evening. After eventually finding them, we still had to wait through the rest of Deftones long ass boring set. It seemed like they were on for over an hour, but it did end right on time. At least we regained that hour back due to daylight savings time. Lol. Next up was Prophets of Rage and they put on a fun show. They played Rage Against the Machine, Cypress Hill and Public Enemy songs, as well as their original material. We also met some cool people that were near us during their set. A pit showed up near us out of nowhere when they started to play “Killing In The Name”. After they were done, it was time for Ozzy. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen him perform solo, about 10 years to be exact, so I was really looking forward to seeing him again. He did not disappoint. It was also great to see Zakk Wylde play with Ozzy again. I was really happy to hear him play “Shot In The Dark,” one of my all time favorite songs from him. After the show was over we made the long trek back to the car. Surprisingly, we didn’t wait too long to get out of there, especially compared to last year. This is at the Glen Helen/San Manuel Amphitheater and it always takes a long time to get out of the parking lot. Show ended by 11PM and we got in line to get out before midnight. Overall we had a great time. It was great to go when it wasn’t hot as hell out. Hopefully they do this again around this time next year.
Old 11-13-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

King Crimson. Amazing show.

Never saw a band with 3 drummers before.

https://tonylevin.com/road-diaries/k...allentown-show

Last edited by CRM114; 11-13-17 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-13-17, 01:18 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Trivium, Arch Enemy, While She Sleeps and Fit for an Autopsy. A decent package of bands, was there mainly for Arch Enemy who played a decent length set for a co-headlining tour and they played a great show, Alissa was in top form.

But Trivium was headlining last night in Chicago, and they definitely had the most fans that night, all of them pushing, shoving, sweating, singing, jumping, the entire set. While She Sleeps singer crowd surfed a couple times, and even went to the balcony and jump off into the crowd.

Last edited by PerryD; 11-20-17 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-20-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I saw LCD Soundsystem last night at the Hollywood Palladium...Left all my recording gear at home, but grabbed one song for YT.

Old 11-21-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Just got tickets to this:

I am very, very happy.
Old 11-21-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
King Crimson. Amazing show.

Never saw a band with 3 drummers before.

https://tonylevin.com/road-diaries/k...allentown-show
I recently saw them too. Astounding. It's just a whole other level of musicianship. The three drummers working in tandem then opposite of one another was something I've never seen before.

It's gonna be hard to go back to that theater and watch some washed up 70s/80's band with one original member go through the motions after this.
Old 12-02-17, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Just got back from the Vegas Strong Benefit Concert which featured Vegas performers. It was a pretty great show. They were the best seats I have ever had in an arena.

Among the performers :

Boys II Men

Imagine Dragons

The Killers
Old 12-02-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

And here’s the video I shot of Dan Reynolds splitting his pants while performing Top of the World
Old 12-02-17, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Saw Rittz here in Tulsa the day before Thanksgiving. Did the meet and greet with him for myself and my daughter.
Old 12-05-17, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary Numan last night in Boston.

The friends I went with were bigger fans than me, but it was a fun show. I'm not that big a fan of his later, more industrial output, but he played a number of tunes from Replicas and The Pleasure Principle, so I enjoyed it.
Old 12-06-17, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

In the last week, I saw:

Jay Z
Spoon
St. Vincent

A good week for shows.
Old 01-06-18, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 97s at 3S Artspace in Portsmouth NH.

Always been a modest fan, and never saw them live before. They were a ton of fun, much better than I had hoped for. For some reason I thought this might be a night of mid-tempo country-ish songs, but they really kept the energy up all night! (Everyone was dancing and working up a sweat, despite the fact that it was 0 degrees outside. 8^)

One of only a handful of shows on their schedule (2 this month, 1 each in Feb & March. Really random).

Added bonus - this was the first time they had ever played in NH (after "25 f*cking years" as a band). Now they just have Hawaii, Alaska and Montana remaining on their bucket list.
Old 01-10-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Ugh I can't stand all these extra "fees" added to tickets... Purchasing some tickets and my $46 per ticket( I was getting 2) turns into over $130 purchase.
Old 01-10-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Agreed!
My last show was

Henry Rollins Travel Slideshow (awesome).

Ticket price was 42.10. Tix each had 2 fees adding ~13.50, a single order fee, then regular tax, so net cost inclusive of fees and taxes was $60 each. But print at home is free! On your own printer! With your own ink and paper! And 2/3 the page is covered with ads for other events - one of which has already past!
Grrr...

But the show was great.
Old 01-11-18, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I used to go to the venue to purchase tickets, saving some of the fees. These days, you're lucky if you can save $5 (on a $60 ticket) by doing that, so it isn't really worth it any more.
Old 01-27-18, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

2018-01-26: Rik Emmett (Triumph) and Dave Dunlop at a small 300 seat venue in Cincinnati last night. He's playing up the "I'm an old guy" persona now, but his voice is still solid and he can still play. Very good show.
Old 01-27-18, 05:13 PM

Went to G3 about a week ago: Joe Satriani, John Petrucci and Phuil Collen (not Collins). All three were great, although Petrucci did drag a bit in the middle of his set. At the end the three had a jam session. Glenn Hughes, Vivian Campbell and Chad showed up for some songs. It was awesome!
Old 02-13-18, 08:21 PM

Saw Sabaton, Kreator and Exmortus at The Wiltern on Friday. Exmortus was good. Kreator kicked some ass and I thought that i was nearly too burned out for Sabaton. They proved me wrong.
Old 02-14-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Update: I saw Tedeschi Trucks this past Saturday in D.C. Going to Franz Ferdinand on 4/11 (D.C.), Front242 on 4/14 (Philly), ELO on 8/18 (Toronto) and 8/24 (Philly). And next weekend in NYC:

Taken for their Glasgow show in November.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.