Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 10-31-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,028 Likes on 4,116 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
It sucks. No more decent outdoor venue in Orange County. They are bulldozing it to put in more Condos. Irvine Co sucks.
I'm curious : As an avid concert-goer, do you like outdoor venues? Personally, they annoy me with unpredictable weather, poor sight-lines and lousy sound. The only one I ever liked was The Shell in Waikiki, but that's perfect weather, year-round and very small. I get liking the idea of outdoor venues -- it's very much analogous to liking the concept of picnics : sounds romantic and fun and different, but in reality is inferior in every way to the indoor experience.

I would purposely skip concerts in LA if they were at the Hollywood Bowl. Bad seats there are worse than terrible seats at most stadium shows.
Old 10-31-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm curious : As an avid concert-goer, do you like outdoor venues? Personally, they annoy me with unpredictable weather, poor sight-lines and lousy sound. The only one I ever liked was The Shell in Waikiki, but that's perfect weather, year-round and very small. I get liking the idea of outdoor venues -- it's very much analogous to liking the concept of picnics : sounds romantic and fun and different, but in reality is inferior in every way to the indoor experience.

I would purposely skip concerts in LA if they were at the Hollywood Bowl. Bad seats there are worse than terrible seats at most stadium shows.
I liked Irvine Meadows if I was in Loge or Orchestra. Nice sound, outdoors, and very close to my home (like 10-15 minutes)...I HATE Hollywood Bowl for a number of reasons, #1 horrible parking, #2 super close neighbors = very low volume which talkers can actually overpower the music. #3 hard to get decent (close) tickets for. #4 Did I mention the parking? (Last couple of times I went, we did park & ride which made it better, but still a pain)

I would rank #1 Small venues #2 Arenas #3 Amphitheaters #4 Stadiums
Old 11-01-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Red Rocks is awesome. Good sound (mostly), good sight lines, excellent view. Weather, yeah, that can be iffy, especially since they've been doing concerts in Winter here and there.
Old 11-01-16, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not big on the Irvine venue. Tickets were always expensive. I always ended up in the grass or in the top seated section, due to the high prices. That hill to get there is ridiculous. I heard they were going to have another venue for concert nearby, hopefully its an improvement.

I saw D.R.I. locally last week. They put on a good show.

On Sunday, I saw Alice Cooper at The Pantages, such a good show. He played covers of "Pinball Wizard", Suffragette City" and "Ace Of Spades" as odes to Kieth Moon, David Bowie and Lemmy.
Old 11-02-16, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw Adele in Atlanta last Friday night and she was great. Then drove to New Orleans for the last two days of Voodoo Fest on Saturday and Sunday. The Claypool Lennon Delirium, Cage the Elephant, Tool, Saint Motel, Puscifer, Bob Moses, Band of Horses and The Chainsmokers among others.

I had seen Cage the Elephant before but they really impressed me Saturday night. The Chainsmokers closed out Sunday and it was probably the highlight of the weekend.
Old 11-02-16, 01:00 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Took my daughter to see Asking Alexandria yesterday. Lots of drama with the band replacing their new singer with their old singer in the past week, so they scrapped playing any material off the new album. The reused an old backdrop for the tour even thought the tour is still named after the new album.

Lots of opening acts, Born of Osiris (good), I See Stars (awful), After the Burial (ok), Upon a Burning Body (ok), Bad Omens (good)

Old 11-02-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Rittz on the Top of the Line tour in Wichita, Kansas last night. He is one of the best rappers in the game right now, in my opinion. Jarren Benton spit fire last night as well.
Old 11-07-16, 04:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Brand New - they played a handful of songs, then played the entirety of their "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me" album, which is (IMO) their masterpiece.
Too bad they didn't play a single song from Daisy, their last proper album.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - fantastic show with an insane amount of energy. Most epic encore I've seen in a long time... something I think they're doing at all their shows, but I'm not sure. If this really is their last album / tour, they're definitely going out with a bang.
Old 11-10-16, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Took in Postmodern Jukebox last night. What a fun show. The highlight for me was their rendition of "I believe in a thing called Love" by The Darkness. Took me a second to realize what the song was since it's they aren't exactly a big mainstream band (but they are one of my favorites).

They covered quite a lot of ground from Taylor Swift, Outkast, Notorious BIG, Guns'n Roses to Hanson (yep...those guys, haha). Lot's of interaction with the crowd as well.

Old 11-10-16, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Temple of the Dog MSG 11/7/2016
Old 11-12-16, 03:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Pet Shop Boys / Warner Theater / 11-11-16

This was just as spectacular as their prior 'Electric' (2013) tour - of the three times I've seen them perform, there's always been an interval, here though there was no break and they played close to two hours straight through. The addition of three other musicians added a lot of punch and uniqueness
Old 11-12-16, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,028 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGuy
Temple of the Dog MSG 11/7/2016
Cool. How was it?
Old 11-12-16, 05:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
Pet Shop Boys / Warner Theater / 11-11-16

This was just as spectacular as their prior 'Electric' (2013) tour - of the three times I've seen them perform, there's always been an interval, here though there was no break and they played close to two hours straight through. The addition of three other musicians added a lot of punch and uniqueness
My wife and I attended the Austin show a couple of weeks ago. Really good show, although I was bummed to see they play the exact same songs for every show. Still, good stuff.
Old 11-12-16, 10:16 PM

Saw Serj Tankian perform with The CSUN Symphony Orchestra on Thursday. He They played most of Elect The Dead and all 4 parts of The Orca Symphony. Interesting seeing metalheads and classical music fans at the same show.
Old 11-12-16, 10:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
My wife and I attended the Austin show a couple of weeks ago. Really good show, although I was bummed to see they play the exact same songs for every show. Still, good stuff.
they may play the favorites, but they have so many songs in their back catalog, every tour has the new songs at the time, and then the occasional surprise. The lights, lasers and visuals were replicated from their 'Electric' tour - it was visually dazzling.
Old 11-13-16, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw Peter Hook and the Light perform New Order and Joy Division Substance albums. Not super polished, but very enjoyable. Whenever New Order tours again I will see them. Saw them in 2013 and saw Peter Hook that year too. Doubtful they will ever all kiss and make up.
Old 11-13-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw Temple of the Dog last Friday.

Great concert.
Old 11-14-16, 09:37 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Caught Black Sabbath last week. Good show, they sounded great. Shame, if this really is "the end" that they didn't include at least on Dio era track (yeah, I know, Ozzy couldn't pull of those vocals).
Old 11-21-16, 07:05 PM

Saw Epica on Saturday at The Regent, they put on a great show, although they played a bit too many songs off the new album (8-9). I would of preferred hearing a few more well known songs in their place. The Agonist opened up and they were alright. Arkona was surprisingly fun. Fleshgod Apocalypse was okay, they didn't really fit the bill and they sounded better on their albums.
Old 11-22-16, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw Temple Of The Dog at Madison Square Garden last week. Awesome show. Cornell sings like a god. And, McCready is a way underrated guitarist. He was a madman at times. The highlight was hearing Led Zeppelin's "Achilles Last Stand" played live. They crushed it!
Old 11-28-16, 09:54 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Won free tickets to see Children of Bodom. When I saw them earlier this year opening for Megadeth, they weren't too impressive, but in a much smaller venue, they brought a lot of energy. Opening acts Abbath, Exmortus and Oni put on pretty good shows. The fans went nuts during Abbath. Oni had a Xylophone synth player.

Old 11-28-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Won free tickets to see Children of Bodom. When I saw them earlier this year opening for Megadeth, they weren't too impressive, but in a much smaller venue, they brought a lot of energy.
I've had the same experience with Bodom, funnily enough with them opening for Megadeth several years ago. I've seen Bodom a handful of times, and each time was a lot of fun. When they opened for Megadeth, not quite as good for some reason. The smaller venue and headlining spot seems to make a difference.
Old 12-08-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw Henry Rollins last evening at the Largo in Los Angeles. He's doing a week-long spoken word residency there, but I think tickets for the remaining nights are sold out now. I try to see him whenever he's in town. The guy is a total machine on stage. Hard to believe how he can talk so fast and cover so much ground in two and half hours. I think this is my fourth time seeing him over the last 20 years or so and he never disappoints. Some of the material he touched on I heard him do on previous tours, but at least he condensed it and brought new details that he hadn't shared before. To me, he's always worth a listen. I don't always agree with him, but I appreciate the fact that he really wants to get his audience to look at situations with multiple viewpoints. Am I a fan? I think my signature answers that question...
Old 12-15-16, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Just got back from seeing The Sounds at The Belasco Theater in DTLA. Fantastic show - they played 2 sets - one was the Dying To Say This To You in its entirety followed up with a mixed set of their hits and more obscure songs. It was night 2 of a two-night stay at Belasco. they're on their way to the OC to play at the Observatory tomorrow night.
Old 12-16-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Saw Vince Neil last night. Surprisingly a damn good show. I just wasn't sure how he would be solo but me and a few family members had a great time. His band was awesome. Not sure who they are but they played on point.
When Vince took a break, they played some covers while the guitarist sang a bit and he was pretty good at it. Couple 'Zeppelin tunes and "Heaven and Hell"
Sat about 15ft away from the stage but then we moved up to the stage. Got a fist bump from Vince but have to say, rather not be up front as you cant hear vocals, like, at all. But we all enjoyed it. Especially seeing the '80s burnout sluts trying to grab his dick all night.

OK just looked it up. He is using Jeff Blando and Dana Strum of Slaughter and drummer Zoltan Chaney (Slaughter/Vince Neil)

Last edited by VHS?; 12-16-16 at 12:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.