Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

I saw Foghat a year or so ago, there was a local music festival with them, Joan Jett, and Cheap Trick. I was pleasantly surprised, they put on a good show as did the others.
Old 08-13-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BearFan
I saw Foghat a year or so ago, there was a local music festival with them, Joan Jett, and Cheap Trick. I was pleasantly surprised, they put on a good show as did the others.
Nice! I wouldn't mind seeing Joan Jett in concert.
Old 08-14-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jacob_b
She put on a good show, it was also cool that you could see her on the wings dancing/rocking out to Cheap Trick .. who IMO, are one of they best live acts out there.
Old 08-14-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went with a friend (who is a big fan) to my first ever Phish concert. I felt like I was in the world's biggest "Dance like Elaine Benes Contest!" My friend who has been to many of their shows rated it highly but it's just not my thing. They did play "No Quarter" which is one of my top three Zep songs so that was my favorite part of the show
Old 08-16-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I saw her on the Warped Tour of all places, apparently back in 2006. Her short set was awesome. I'd love to see her put on a longer show.
Old 08-16-15, 06:42 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I scored some last minute tickets near the stage for Slipknot and Lamb of God. The show was pretty much sold out early on, but I checked Ticketmaster this past week, and the other day saw a bunch of seats free up, I picked up seats next to the Pit about 8 rows back from the stage.

Last edited by PerryD; 04-20-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-16-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just back from Cheap Trick/Frampton. 6 hours to hear 7 songs! Ha, I'm not a deep fan of either so I only recognized the hits.

All Cheap Trick had to do was show up, sing Dream Police, Surrender, I Want You to Want Me and Ain't That A Shame and I would be satisfied. They delivered on that and threw in some extras so it was mission accomplished. Would liked to have heard She's Tight, but oh well.

Frampton had a shorter setlist with some interesting covers, Black Hole Sun was a nice surprise. We left before Do You Feel Like I Do ended, the talk-box wankery was out of control! According to previous setlist's his encores are just covers so we didn't miss much and avoided the traffic.
Old 08-17-15, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Psychedelic Furs and The Church at the Cape Cold Melody Tent last night.

I was really surprised at how much I like The Church. I had never seen them before, and only knew a couple songs, but they were really impressive. There were times when it was reminiscent of Nick Cave, of all things. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't do "Unguarded Moment", one of my all-time favorite songs.

The Furs sounded good as well. I was shocked at how many songs I recognized, they had more hits than I remembered. Richard Butler was very engaging and seemed to be having a good time. I saw them back on the 'Forever Now' tour, and I remember thinking he was standoff-ish. But there was no attitude last night, all smiles. Extra points for the encore song "Sleep Comes Down", which was great to hear live!
Old 08-18-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Free pop-up concert in Central Park with Stevie Wonder.
Old 08-18-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw Britney Spears in Vegas. Lip singing or not, she looks like she is having fun out there, her dances are ok but the background dancers put on a show. Well worth the time and price to go. Only thing is, I wish she interacted with the crowd more.
Old 08-18-15, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Saw Shania Twain yesterday and it was a dream come true to see her in concert. Wish I could have seen her in Vegas, which had more elaborate stage pieces, but her new tour was still great.

But she sure put on a show with a lot of pyrotechnics and played all the hits. Cross her off my bucket list.

Gavin Degraw opened for her and that was a good bonus. Additional 40 minutes of music.
Old 08-18-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I would love to see Shania Twain, but I think last time she came around here, it was way out of my price range.

Two weeks ago I saw
Seven Factor
CHANT
KMFDM

7F and Chant were all great people, hung out and chatted with all of them after the show. Chant was really cool, I wasn't sure how much I'd be into it but it was really impressive. That said, they're the kind of thing where it reaches a saturation point - I was ready for them to be done about two songs before they actually were. Might have just been me though. Still great, and I bought their disc.

KMFDM was interesting. The setlist seemed to be quite varied, but either my ears are getting older, or I'm not as familiar with a lot of tracks as I thought, or maybe it wasn't mixed well - but while it was fun and entertaining, I couldn't get really into it like I expected. Oh well, still a fun evening.
Old 08-19-15, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mumford and Sons. They always put on a great and fun show, interacting with the crowd, but this just wasn't as good as I expected. It kind of just finished and that was it. No big encore or anything. Could have had a few more songs and sent the people home thrilled.
Old 08-21-15, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw the Jesus and Mary Chain at the Fonda Theatre last night. Amazing show for me as I've been a longtime fan of the band and never had the chance to see them live until now. They did two mini-sets. The first was a short set of hits; the second set was "Psycho Candy" in its entirety. Glorious guitar feedback as only the Reid brothers can deliver.
Old 08-22-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jippy
Saw the Jesus and Mary Chain at the Fonda Theatre last night. Amazing show for me as I've been a longtime fan of the band and never had the chance to see them live until now. They did two mini-sets. The first was a short set of hits; the second set was "Psycho Candy" in its entirety. Glorious guitar feedback as only the Reid brothers can deliver.
Cool. Considering this one myself in September.
Old 08-22-15, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bruce Cockburn at The Cabot in Beverly, MA.

I'm not a huge fan, but it was very close to me in a cool old theater.

I absolutely love his hits "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" and "If I Had a Rocket Launcher," but didn't really know anything else. He played both of those and sounded fantastic.

He's an unbelievable flat-picking guitarist, and he has some great pop sensibilities as well. If I had a criticism, I might say he's TOO good of a guitarist, that it kind of overwhelms the songs sometimes--but that's probably just my bias for simpler genres of music. I was very impressed though, and glad I got to see him once.
Old 08-22-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Went to see Weird Al last night. First time I have seen him since the early 1990s.

Really good show, Al and the band sounded great. Some really funny moments. My only real complaint is the choppiness of the show. They played several videos in between songs, while they did costume changes. Most of the videos were pretty funny, but I enjoyed the parts of the show where he did several songs in a row much better.

Still, glad I went, it was a fun time.
Old 08-23-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Led Zeppelin2 and Australian Pink Floyd.

Awesome show, see them if you get a chance.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NrCZRP8KTcE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R8zmijLZJg0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-23-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Taylor Swift is amazing. I had pit tickets, though I do admit I was in the middle because she did a lot of songs on her walkway. Lots of surprises (crazy eyes from Orange is the New Black, Mary J, as well as Chris Rock and Joey from Friends). Really good show and I think she played for about 2 hours. A lot of fun that I didn't want to end. Vance Joy was decent, as well. And HAIM was just all out insane. The blonde bass player, my goodness. Her expressions were insane and a mother at the show talked to me during the show and we both wonder if she was wearing anything under her skirt as she walked the runway and it didn't seem like it lol.
Old 08-23-15, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Saw the Foo Fighters for the second time last night in St. Paul. I have to say they were just as great if not a little better than the first time I saw them. The crowd was pretty hot all night and the band seemed like they were really feeling it. Even playing seated with a broken leg Grohl still had a bunch of energy and was just as good as he'd have been under normal circumstances. The show was a little under three hours and they played a good mixture of their catalogue as well as some covers. Definitely worth seeing and I'd see them again if they come close in the future.
Old 08-23-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

7 Seconds - 8/23/15 - NYC

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xa4j9RQF2i4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by inri222; 08-31-15 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Caught Foo Fighters for the third time in Detroit (suburb) last night. Great show but the venue kinda sucked compared to The Palace of Auburn Hills. It didn't help that it was an outdoor concert and it rained for a short time.... otherwise, the Foo's are the Foo's... they always deliver.
Old 08-25-15, 07:39 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw Marilyn Manson and Smashing Pumpkin last month.

MM - frigging amazing show
SP - first half of set was awesome, 2nd half was a snoozefest.
Old 08-26-15, 07:55 AM

AC/DC at Gillette Stadium. Way up in the nosebleeds, but had a great time!!
Old 08-26-15, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last concert I saw was The Monkees. It was may of 2014. I don't see as many concerts as did when I was younger. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to finally see Mike Nesmith.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.