Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 05-19-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 246 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Been a while since I've taken in a show, but I'm catching Little Feat this Saturday at the Pageant in St Louis as part of a charity benefit show.

Linky: http://www.thepageant.com/show/452/m...jakes-leg.aspx

The interesting bit is that it's the whole band, minus Bill Payne (which is odd), but with Craig Fuller (which is fantastic). Sure, not having Billy there will be weird - but getting a chance to see Craig with the band again will be a treat! I've only seen Craig play with Feat once (Jamaica, 2007) since he retired from touring in 1993. This will also be my first gig since Richie Heyward passes away just under five years ago. And though I've been to a couple of Fred & Paul acoustic gigs during the hiatus, this really is my first full-on Little Feat show in ages.

Saturday cannot get here soon enough!
Old 05-19-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm going next week, and I'm interested in hearing how the sound is - I read that they set up their own sound system, with the speakers above everyone's head, so it's an even dispersal of sound, without having to get too loud. Is that something you noticed?
Since I audio tape (as well as the video taping you see) it's hugely important to me

So the arrays are really at the level of the upper deck, and while I didn't notice an improvement, it is a bit different. The surround the lighting rig and are at the "edge" of the GA floor or so, so really the best sound probably starts to occur at the middle area of the lower bowl and stays great to the upper levels.

(Normally GA is the place to audio tape, but I got a better pull night two)
Old 05-20-15, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 194 Likes on 131 Posts

Just got back from Rush. WOW!! Did ticket roulette with the VIP Gold ticket package and ended up on the FRONT ROW!! If this was indeed their last big tour, what a way to go out!

Old 05-22-15, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Queensryche. The first time I have seen them without Tate. Good show.
Old 05-22-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 761 Posts

The Rezillos. I did not get my head kicked in though.
Old 05-23-15, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sleater-Kinney and Matt and Kim at 9:30 Club, Washington D.C. Great shows.
Old 05-23-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

X performing their first two albums, Los Angeles and Wild Gift in their entirety.
Old 05-23-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,275 Likes on 982 Posts

Just got back from San Diego. My GF had tickets for Paramore at the SDSU Open Air Amphatheatre. They put on a good show. I was entertained but I'd say that my favorite moment was them closing the show (encore) down with that hardcore/metal "Future" song. I was like fuuuuuuck this is pretty bad ass! The lead singer can really pull out the head banging moves, too. I guess it starts out slow as hell but then it builds up to thunder. It's like an 8 minute song, too.
Old 05-26-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw The Refused at the Observatory last night. Turbonegro was also on the bill. They weren't bad, but not really my thing. They definitely have a solid following, though. When Turbonegro finished their set, a good portion of the audience left the pit area so the Refused fans could move in. Refused were incredible, as I would have expected. Enough energy to power a city. They played at least two new songs from their upcoming album. The rest of the set was most of the tracks from "The Shape of Punk to Come". I am hoping they do another swing through the states once their album is out. I'll definitely see them again.
Old 05-27-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

Saw U2 last night - great show, playing a nice cross section of many of their best songs - there were no glaring omissions. They really do push the boundaries of what can be done with a rock concert. The stage and the two-sided screen that would come down, around the bad, was pretty brilliant.

I was disappointed with the sound. After reading an article of how they were bringing along their own "state of the art" sound system, I was let down with what to me sounded like some over-modulated stuff. Edge's guitar drowned out a lot of the drums and some base and was overly treble-heavy.
Old 05-27-15, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw them last night as well (LA1). (Saw both Vancouver shows as well)...One or two more shows for me before they jump the pond.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vle_aOF1hKw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-28-15, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a band at a little nightclub near me, but I didn't go 'cause I'd never heard of them and they're kinda old anyway. Anyone heard of them? I think they're called "The Rolling Stones" or something...

(True story. The Stones played a San Diego nightclub for a private show tonight. I was not there)
Old 06-01-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

U2 at the Forum last night. General Admission and I was about 10 feet from the second stage off to one side. Perfect view and they spent a good third of the show down that way. They never disappoint live.
Old 06-01-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The Pixies at 930 Club last night. First time seeing them, awesome show.
Old 06-01-15, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Received 749 Likes on 493 Posts

Butch Walker at Bogart's in Cincinnati, last Saturday night. Good show as always from him.
Old 06-01-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Going to The Rolling Stones last tour and appearance in the Twin Cities on June 3rd.....
Old 06-01-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

Went to see Spoon at the Wiltern Saturday - they're fun as a ever, and their songs work better live, I think.
Old 06-01-15, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

4th U2 show of the tour, and will probably be at LA5 on Wednesday.

Old 06-03-15, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Saw Purity Ring at Amos' Southend here in Charlotte last Thursday. Triple bill with Born Gold and Braids opening. MILDLY INTERESTING: Not only are all three bands from Alberta, at least one member of each band grew up with a member of the other bands. Each set was around 40-50 minutes, with Purity Ring's a bit longer since they were the headliner. The three bands only have 8 albums between them, so that's understandable. I don't care for Born Gold's music, but they seemed like nice guys. I'd heard a bit of Braids before on Spotify and was kind of on the fence about 'em until now: they were very likable, and put on a pretty good show. But Purity Ring was incredible: the lights, the sound... everything just clicked. The light show lived up to the hype: they had strings of lights that could change color and light independently; for a couple of songs they almost looked like rain. I also liked their weird synths: they have a bunch of "Chinese lantern" looking things that light up in different colors but are actually synths you play by hitting them with a drumstick. Megan also had a synth that was like a semi-circle of lights (imagine a semi-circle of Styrofoam with long camera lenses where the rays would be, and lights came out of them). You play it simply by pressing on the appropriate "ray". It was neat. It was fun. And I liked that the band seemed to be having fun with it: Megan James makes all the costumes, and instead of looking like a dowdy librarian as she normally does, she had feathered hair and was dressed up in a late 70s\early 80s jumpsuit, like something Kate Bush would have worn.

The only problems I had were that the venue was uncomfortably hot and uncomfortably crowded. Maybe it's 'cos I'm an old fart (44), but having 2,500 sweaty 20-somethings crammed into a venue just makes me nervous. Or maybe I've just seen enough bad things happen at shows. At one point, a girl up front did pass out, and I was impressed by how quickly the crowd moved out of the way for security. So... yeah.
Old 06-03-15, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 407 Likes on 264 Posts

I haven't been to see anyone since Roger Water's The Wall (in 2011, so I think I need to get out more). But . . . sending my two youngest kids to see Neutral Milk Hotel tonight. I kind of can't stand them, though I admit they're growing on me (Jeff Mangum's whiny voice and NMH, not my kids.
Old 06-03-15, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tasha99
so I think I need to get out more
I feel ya. One of the most common complaints about Charlotte is that "no good bands ever come here". I missed Still Corners when they came to town, 'cos it was on a Tuesday at a venue I really despise. I missed Beach House when they came to town, 'cos my GF and I use the "whoever likes the band has to buy the tickets" system, and I didn't wanna risk $50 on a band that I've heard described as both the "best live band ever" and the "most boring live band ever". I didn't have any work stuff scheduled around Purity Ring, and decided it would be a bit hypocritical of me to whine about bands never coming here, then never going when they do.
Old 06-04-15, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Saw The Rolling Stones last night at the open TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. Excellent show, would never really guess the boys are in their 70's now. Highlights were Midnight Rambler, Moonlight Mile, (the opener) and Jumpin' Jack Flash. Great night. The rains stopped just before they started.
Old 06-04-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 439 Posts

Rush R40 Live in Tampa on 5/24. Great show (good first set, MINDBLOWINGLY AWESOME second set).
Old 06-04-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Joan Jett & The Who @ Forest Hills Tennis Club, Queens NY. After 50 years they still rocked the place!
Old 06-04-15, 11:31 PM

I saw steel panther recently with my bf

Last edited by brallu; 06-12-15 at 02:09 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.