Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 10-06-22, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Back in 2006, I went to a Japan Nite concert on a whim. I had never heard of any of the bands, never really listened to any music from Japan in the first place. Looking at wikipedia, PE'Z, Ellegarden, TsuShiMaMiRe played, among others. TsuShiMaMiRe was absolutely fantastic, what a blast. I seem to recall Ellegarden being fun, too. It didn't really expand my tastes into more Japanese music, but would be open to going to more shows like that.
Old 10-06-22, 12:20 PM
Political Exile

Received 468 Likes on 312 Posts

Within Temptation last night at the United Center in Chicago

Old 10-06-22, 12:29 PM
Political Exile

Iron Maiden at the United Center in Chicago. First three songs were from the new album, then they did a mix of their older material each with a unique backdrop and props. Flight of Icarus is one of my favorite songs, and they had an Icarus as the backdrop that at the end of the song folded in his wings and fell downward, it was amazing.

The following users liked this post:
miller_time22 (10-08-22)
Old 10-06-22, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Received 657 Likes on 441 Posts

I'm seeing them Friday night in Columbus. Looking forward to see Within Temptation (again) as the opener, although that's kind of an odd pairing.

Going to Sabaton (Epica opening) Saturday night in Cincy.
Old 10-06-22, 01:59 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by PerryD
For something completely different, I attended J-pop artist Haru Nemuri at the Metro Chicago. Great vocalist, crowd pleasing performance for sure. $20 merch shirts, and came out after the show for photos and autographs. Chicago was the first US date on the tour that she is starting on.
And she's got COVID. Hopefully not from me, but I imagine she was interacting with a lot of fans on the first three dates, so hopefully she picked it up in Canada and not Chicago
Old 10-06-22, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Long list since Taylor Hawkins tribute just over a week ago!

Ohana Festival Day 1 with Khruangbin & Stevie Nicks

Ohana Fest Day 2 with Inhaler, Jack White and Eddie Vedder (We actually bailed during Vedder, AND blew off Day 3 completely)

Jack was amazing!

Eddie with Mike Campbell

Then last night was Metric! We did the meet and greet, told them it was our anniversary and Emily gave us a little shout out.
Old 10-07-22, 12:36 PM
Political Exile

For something completely different, I attended J-pop artist Haru Nemuri at the Metro Chicago.
Metro Chicago facebook page posted photos from the Haru show including this one where she came out into the middle of the audience and sang a song. I was off to the side so I couldn't see her (again, she's tiny), so I thought this was a cute photo to share

Old 10-09-22, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

2022-10-07 Within Temptation and Iron Maiden (Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH)

Last edited by The Cow; 10-09-22 at 02:58 PM.
PerryD (10-10-22)
Old 10-09-22, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

2022-10-08 Epica and Sabaton (Andrew J Music Brady Center Arena, Cincinnati, OH)

Old 10-10-22, 11:31 AM
Political Exile

Max and Iggor Cavalera at the Concord Music Hall in Chicago playing a setlist consisting of Sepultura classics from Beneath the Remains and Arise. Arise is one of my all time favorite albums.

Old 10-10-22, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Back in 2006, I went to a Japan Nite concert on a whim. I had never heard of any of the bands, never really listened to any music from Japan in the first place. Looking at wikipedia, PE'Z, Ellegarden, TsuShiMaMiRe played, among others. TsuShiMaMiRe was absolutely fantastic, what a blast. I seem to recall Ellegarden being fun, too. It didn't really expand my tastes into more Japanese music, but would be open to going to more shows like that.
Oh man, TsuShiMaMiRe is such a trip. I first saw them at a 2009 event in San Francisco. I was more interested in Noodles, one of the opening acts, but TsuShiMaMiRe just blew everyone off the stage. The bit where the singer/guitarist jumps into the crowd and makes one of the audience members be her mic stand made me a fan for life. I know they had to get a new drummer a few years ago, hope they come back to the US again.

As for me, I saw Amyl and the Sniffers for the first time last night. Very energetic act, although if I'm being honest every song pretty much sounded the same. I've heard of the band before, even had a few chances to see them at smaller venues, but every time I'd look up their music on YouTube I just wasn't impressed with any of the songs. Last night didn't change my mind. I loved watching the show, but have zero interest in adding any of their records to my collection. If anything, I'd be more inclined to buy a record from the opening act, Illuminati Hotties (except they failed to bring a merch table).
Old 10-10-22, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Saw The Mars Volta in Boston weekend before last. Excellent show!
Old 10-10-22, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Paff
As for me, I saw Amyl and the Sniffers for the first time last night. Very energetic act, although if I'm being honest every song pretty much sounded the same...
I had a feeling you would be there! The sound wasn't the best, but their two main albums are in constant rotation for us. (and we watch lots of their YouTube live stuff) I thought they kicked ass! But again, I know almost everything they played.

Old 10-10-22, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I had a feeling you would be there! The sound wasn't the best, but their two main albums are in constant rotation for us. (and we watch lots of their YouTube live stuff) I thought they kicked ass! But again, I know almost everything they played.
Apparently I was on the opposite side of the venue from you, and a lot closer. I agree about the sound, and I chalked it up to being so close (that's why I often camp near the sound board, because that's where the person is making it sound best for). It was surprising because the last show I saw there was The Dickies back in July. They're a hard band to mix live, because the singer doesn't have a strong voice anymore (he's damn near 70 if not there already), but for one of the only times they were able to make his vocals clear as day while not getting drowned out by the rest of the band.

So it was weird they made Amyl sound so muddy last night.

And does the bass player have stage fright or what? I think he faced forward for a minute at the most, or only when he needed to do backing vocals. I'm guessing it's a running gag in the band, because at one point Amyl had to physically rotate him forward.
Old 10-11-22, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was on the rail of the first section back. So just outside of the main (big) pit.
Old 10-12-22, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts

John Doe Trio at a small venue in Seattle last night. Now it's my first at Climate Pledge with New Order/Pet Shop Boys on Friday.
The following 2 users liked this post by rexinnih:
Chrisedge (10-14-22), story (10-12-22)
Old 10-12-22, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,911 Likes on 4,034 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Now it's my first at Climate Pledge with New Order/Pet Shop Boys on Friday.
That sounds like it will be a cool show!
rexinnih (10-16-22)
Old 10-12-22, 10:53 PM

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,040 Posts

My friend and I recently caught Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets and had a wonderful time. Our main floor seats were in Row P, dead center, just great. I agree with rocket1312 fully, this band of friends had excellent chemistry and are highly talented. The visuals were a nice, light touch, and it was the music that was on full display. I made us playlists based on the tour notes at setlist.fm and that helped us prepare, remember, and enjoy all of these pre-Dark Side of the Moon classics. I knew most of them already and it was fun to pull out songs I enjoyed but haven't listened to much since college. The crowd was mostly older men but fairly intergenerational. I loved how Nick stood up in-between songs to quietly say "Thank you" and politely tell stories!

It occurs to me that there are three Pink Floyd shows which essentially cover three distinct eras:
1. Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets - Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967) through Obscured by Clouds (1971).
2. Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon (1973) through The Final Cut (1983) and solo material.
3. David Gilmour - A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) through The Endless River (2014) and solo material.

I've heard David Gilmour is working on new material, so i wouldnt be surprised if there's a tour soon.

I'm really glad for Nick. I figure it's a +$3 million ticket gross tour in the US. Our venue was around 1000 seats, at ~$100 per ticket, that's $100,000 per show, 28 shows in the US tour, plus the 60-show UK/Europe leg this spring, plus the swag and merch (I didn't splurge on the signed and awesome looking $75 tour posters, but it was tempting).

Put all that together, that's maybe a +$10 million gross tour, playing 50 year old songs with your best friends over 7 months of the year. Not a bad way to make a living!

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Saw Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets last night in Providence. The show was originally supposed to be in Jan. 2021, but was postponed for reasons that I can't recall.

Anyway, for anyone who is an early Pink Floyd fan, the show is great. The band is so much fun and it seems like they're all having a blast. I'm really happy for Nick, who just wants to be a drummer and is obviously tired of all the acrimony between his former bandmates. And as someone who has listened to dozens of old PF bootlegs from 67-72, I'd dare say the Saucers are the better band. They really bring out the best in those old songs, many of which showed a glimmer of what Pink Floyd could and would be, but lacked the polish and precision they developed later in their career.
Originally Posted by story
I assume since it's a Floyd-related venture that the accompanying visuals are amazing, yes?
Originally Posted by rocket1312
Don't expect anything on the level of Waters or Gilmour. Some cool lights and background projections is about it. It's a pretty straight forward rock and roll show, which is part of what I loved about it.
Old 10-13-22, 09:11 AM
Political Exile

I had a choice of 3 different metal shows going on last night, Trivium at Radius, Revocation at Reggies, but chose Wednesday 13 at WC Social which is closer and easier to park. Relatively light crowd (probably due to the other shows), so was able to talk with friends and get a drink between sets instead of having to hunker down up front. 5th show in ten days or so for me, one more coming up this week.

Old 10-13-22, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 169 Posts

I saw Wednesday 13 open for Static-X a couple years ago. While I had heard the name, mostly in association with Murderdolls, I hadn't listened to any of his music. I dug it a lot, and really enjoyed his show.
Old 10-14-22, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rexinnih
John Doe Trio at a small venue in Seattle last night. Now it's my first at Climate Pledge with New Order/Pet Shop Boys on Friday.
They are playing in San Diego monday night, but I have plans! UGH!
rexinnih (10-16-22)
Old 10-16-22, 06:00 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by The Cow
2022-10-08 Epica and Sabaton (Andrew J Music Brady Center Arena, Cincinnati, OH)
Caught Epica and Sabaton last night at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. Huge crowd and when he asked who was here to see Sabaton for the first time, the place erupted which is unusual for me when I go see shows.

Old 10-16-22, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That sounds like it will be a cool show!
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
They are playing in San Diego monday night, but I have plans! UGH!
Concert week finished with the Pet Shop Boys and New Order. First time in awhile being in a large venue concert and was an amazing show. First time to see Pet Shop Boys and was good but very choreographed. Had seen New Order a few times but about 30 years since last time. Great selection of hits and even a few Joy Division songs thrown in.
BDB (11-21-22)
Old 10-17-22, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 303 Posts

Willie Nelson's Outlaw Music Festival last night.
5 acts:

- Particle Kid (Willie's son)... meh, that's when we just drank and ate before the bands we actually wanted to see. What we heard from him wasn't great.

- Jamestown Revival... I'm already a fan, but they were great - they have fantastic harmonies together, and their whole band was great.

- Larkin Poe... these girls rock! I've seen them before, and they seem to get better and better year to year.

- Avett Brothers... they've been around for a while, and they're big enough to sell out this venue by themselves. They played a mostly greatest hits set and were really good.

- Willie Nelson & Family... the man is a bit diminished, and he did have to sit down for his performance (saw him 3 years ago, and he was standing during his whole set), but he is 90! Sounded okay, his guitar playing isn't what it once was, but I think it was good considering his arthritis.

Overall, a fantastic set of music acts - almost all worth seeing just on their own.
Old 10-17-22, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

Caught Epica and Sabaton last night at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. Huge crowd and when he asked who was here to see Sabaton for the first time, the place erupted which is unusual for me when I go see shows.
It was the same in Cincy, and I was surprised, but it was also the first time Sabaton played Cincy. They stated it was the largest US crowd so far for them (as a headliner), not sure if that's true or not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.