Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 09-22-21, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,387 Likes on 4,372 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by dex14
The Killers
Tell me more. A full concert? A promotional appearance?
Old 09-22-21, 06:56 AM

Received 4,690 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Tell me more. A full concert? A promotional appearance?
Full concert. They are playing warm-up gigs before a festival appearance.
Old 09-22-21, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Saw Hall & Oates with Squeeze at Merriweather Post Pavillion on Saturday night.

Squeeze played an hour long set and they were fantastic. Set was mostly hits though it was nice to have "Someone Else's Heart" from Argybargy added to the mix. Glenn Tilbrook still has it as a vocalist and truly is one of the unsung guitarists in pop/rock music. Chris Difford's voice has aged a little but still sounded splendid on songs like "Cool for Cats." And the rest of the band was energetic and fun. I saw one review that said they played like a headliner and I fully agree with that sentiment.

Hall & Oates, while tight as a band, has usually hinged on Daryl Hall's blue-eyed soul voice and here the cracks (literally) were on full display. They opened with "Maneater" and his voice strongly cracked at least 6 times during the one song. While things improved slightly from there, the strain on his voice was noticeable whenever he tried to go into his upper range or a falsetto. He was better off when not trying to push his voice where it didn't want to go (for example, "Sara Smile" was the one of the highlights of the show). Funny thing is that he would warm up his voice before every song, and his voice never sounded better than during those 10 second warm-ups. All that said, the entire band truly seemed to enjoy playing and the show was still fun, vocal issues aside.
Old 09-22-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts

My wife had tickets to go see Hall and Oates, but our daughter tested positive for Covid a couple days before the show. Since they both had been around our daughter, neither of them ended up going. Wasn't able to sell the tickets, either.
Old 09-22-21, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 337 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm a big Hall & Oates fan, too. Last time I saw them was in 2009 I think. Btw, Daryl is 74 and John is 73.
Old 09-22-21, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
My wife had tickets to go see Hall and Oates, but our daughter tested positive for Covid a couple days before the show. Since they both had been around our daughter, neither of them ended up going. Wasn't able to sell the tickets, either.
Strangely enough, we were supposed to go to the concert with my brother and his wife but my niece's school reported five cases of COVID in the first week so the school closed for a week and they decided to have her tested. Thankfully her test came back negative but they didn't get the results until Sunday and didn't want to take any chances. And similarly, wasn't able to find a home for the extra tickets so they went to waste.
Old 09-23-21, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Took my 14 year old daughter to her first rock show last night. We saw Skillet, Adelita's Way and Eva Under Fire.
Old 09-27-21, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

Two nights of Eddie Vedder, since Kings of Leon canceled night one.

Night one (KOL Cover)

Night two (new song)
Old 09-27-21, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts

The Ministry/KMFDM/Front Line Assembly show that got postponed to next week with Ministry/Helmet/Front Line Assembly got postponed again to March with Ministry/Melvins/Corrosion of Conformity. I have very little interest in the opening bands, so I put in my first refund request. No idea how long it'll take to get my money back.
Old 10-04-21, 10:15 AM
Political Exile

Received 485 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
2021-09-19: Sabaton and Judas Priest at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. We were there for Sabaton. Priest is still sounding good and was better than the last few times I've seen them.
I saw this show a couple days later in Chicago. Finally got around to uploading my pictures.

We had second row seats, but what was funny is that the entire first row showed up for sale on the day of the show, but since it was my friend that bought the tickets, I didn't bother him with that information (I'd usually be on the phone with Ticketmaster to move my seats when I see this happen). When I got to the show, the first row people were just stunned as they walked in, one guy said he just bought the ticket at the box office before coming in. I'm not sure if it's the venue that holds the seats or the artist, but I see that a lot.

Unfortunately, Richie Faulker had his open heart surgery just a few days later, postponing the tour indefinitely.

Last edited by PerryD; 10-04-21 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-05-21, 01:07 PM
Political Exile

Saw August Burns Red, Fit for a King, Erra, and Like Moths to Flames last week, a day before the had to suspend the tour for a couple weeks for COVID cases. I did the meet & greet with them, autographs and photo op, but everyone was masked, so let's hope the tickle in my throat is nothing serious. I'm not super into metalcore, but one of my regular concert friends recommended this show, and it seemed like a stacked lineup at least.

Old 10-07-21, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

10/5/21: Municipal Waste/Skeletal Remains/Spy
Old 10-08-21, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

Saw Alanis Morissette, Garbage and Cat Power Tuesday at Hollywood Bowl.

Morissett & Garbage were pretty great, Cat Power was boring as hell.

But man, The Bowl was such a clusterfuck of epic proportions. After getting to the Bowl, took more than an hour to park, walk to the venue, stand in line just to get in, then get to our seats. I'm reminded why I don't go to big shows anymore, and prefer concerts at smaller theaters and clubs instead.
Old 10-09-21, 03:03 AM

Saw them last week at T-Mobile. Missed Cat Powers but loved Garbage especially and also Alanis. Thought they sounded great.

I do not miss the Hollywood Bowl at all! I’ve said before that bad seats at the Hollywood Bowl are literally the worst seats in any concert venue in the US. It’s like sitting in a different zip code from the performers. And yeah the traffic and parking…
Old 10-09-21, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
2021-09-10: Billy Joel at Great American Ball Park (Cincinnati). He got winded a few times, but still sounds great.
Cool! I didn't know he was touring again. I might fly out to NYC sometime to visit my daughter and catch a monthly MSG show if he still does those.
You inspired me Cow! I am off to NYC next year to see Billy Joel at the Mecca. Floor seats, front section C but not as close as you got.
The following users liked this post:
The Cow (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

10/8/21: Knocked Loose/Gatecreeper/Dying Wish/Kharma
Old 10-11-21, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 963 Likes on 734 Posts

Geriatric LA punk rockers The Dickies on Saturday.

Unlike this past summer's Descendents show, this was the first time a venue required proof of vaccination and actually verified it (at that 'dents show, they waved me in as I was opening up the vax card on my phone). This was a really fun show, and unlike the last couple of times I saw them they drew an energetic crowd. Medium sized mosh pit, not too violent (there were more than a few geriatric attendees, myself included). Also helping us oldsters, this went off pretty early for a club show; I got there about 10ish and the penultimate band (The Queers, by the way) were finishing up their set. The Dickies went on before 11 and were finished an hour later.

Fun show, almost entirely the songs you expect at one of their gigs, with two deep cuts, Pretty Please Me and Wagon Train from the Stukas over Disneyland album. I know they're getting a bit long in the tooth, with Leonard the singer admitting he just turned 65, but I still love going to see them. Hope they keep going!

ETA: As for the venue, maybe I've been watching too much Bar Rescue but I didn't appreciate the bar service. I had money laid out on the bar, and two guys were hitting on the admittedly attractive bartenders but that was tying them up from serving others. The two dipshits kept coaxing the girls to do a shot with them (something Jon Taffer gets very annoyed with) and eventually they did. One finally came to take my order, and when she did the other scooped up the money I'd laid out, thinking it was a tip. That caused some confusion when the other bartender returned with my drink expecting me to pay for it (naturally) and I had to get her to believe the other girl had taken my money. I think it all worked out in the end, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if this is one of those places you see on BR where the money they bring in is significantly less than the alcohol poured. Not cool, because money-losing music venues tend to not last.

Last edited by Paff; 10-11-21 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-11-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Alice Cooper with Ace Frehley last week.
It was an open air amphitheatre, but still required printed proof of vax or negative test within 72 hours. I showed them my card, they looked at it, but they didn't check my ID or anything.
He's always a good show (speaking of, um, 'legacy' musicians - he's 73. Still sings I'm Eighteen of course.
Interesting set list - only 2 songs from the new album (Rock and Roll and Go Man Go, which is a fun one).
Of course the classics - 18, Under My Wheels, Steven, No More Mr Nice Guy, School's Out, Billion Dollar Babies.
More than I would have expected from the 80s/90s - Feed My Frankenstein, Poison, Hey Stoopid, and a couple from my guilty pleasure albums, He's Back and Roses on White Lace.
Deeper cuts - My Stars and an instrumental medley Black Widow/Devil's Food.
His band was great.

I would love to see the Dickies, I think they had originally set up East Coast tour dates for 2021, but either they got cancelled or I missed them. They were here 3 years ago but I couldn't go.
Old 10-18-21, 12:29 PM
Political Exile

Black Label Society, Obituary, and Prong last night in Chicago

Old 10-19-21, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

10/18/21: Fotocrime/Haunted Horses/Ex-Heir
Old 10-24-21, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

10/23/21: God's Hate/Never Ending Game/Sunami/King Nine/200 Stab Wounds
Old 10-24-21, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 963 Likes on 734 Posts

Friday night, Starcrawler

Really glad I decided to go. One of the better live acts I've seen in a long time. While Arrow de Wilde gets the attention for all the skin on display and her back bends, it was the guitarist that I noticed more. Really energetic and puts everything into the performance. Reminds me a lot of Jack White. They played for about an hour and 20, and the energy flagged a bit as it got to the one hour mark. I know they did a late afternoon in-store at a record store and the pictures I saw from that shows it was a pretty crazy show as well, so maybe they should pace themselves a little more. Also, one of the reasons I went was because I had a feeling this band would explode, and while the potential is there, I don't think mainstream America is ready for Arrow de Wilde yet.

Regardless, it's great to see young people playing good hard rock. Not metal, not punk, just hard rock. Go see 'em.
Old 10-25-21, 10:17 AM

Received 4,690 Likes on 3,178 Posts

You inspired me Cow! I am off to NYC next year to see Billy Joel at the Mecca. Floor seats, front section C but not as close as you got.
And now he’s coming to Vegas…
Old 10-27-21, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

10/26/21: Thrice/Touche Amore
Old 10-27-21, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
And now he’s coming to Vegas…
Yeah, dammit!
I thought about buying tickets to that show, but I spent $1000 on 3 non-refundable tickets to see Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker in Neil Simon's Plaza Suite the next night anyway, so we're still going to NYC. And figure watching Billy Joel play MSG is better than braving a stadium crowd.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.