Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm no chrisedge but here's a video I shot

Hey! Great video. You can't always bring the heat (as in great gear)...I saw this show the other night and left all great at home...

Old 09-10-21, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I did bring my better camera to this...Which was Wednesday night...

(More videos on my channel)
Old 09-11-21, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

2021-09-10: Billy Joel at Great American Ball Park (Cincinnati). He got winded a few times, but still sounds great.
Old 09-11-21, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Cool! I didn't know he was touring again. I might fly out to NYC sometime to visit my daughter and catch a monthly MSG show if he still does those.
Let me guess : He opened with Prelude / Angry Young Man?
Old 09-11-21, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

That's great to hear that he sounds good. We've got tickets to see him at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte in April..
Old 09-11-21, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

Cool! I didn't know he was touring again. I might fly out to NYC sometime to visit my daughter and catch a monthly MSG show if he still does those.
Let me guess : He opened with Prelude / Angry Young Man?
Nope, he opened with Movin' Out. He didn't do Angry Young Man at all.
Old 09-12-21, 12:01 AM

Wow. I've seen him like 8 tines total and he always starts with AYM.
Old 09-12-21, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

If you go by setlist.fm, he hasn't played that in 4 years.

Old 09-12-21, 01:00 AM

Maybe it's become too physically demanding for him at his age now? Clapton has stopped doing some of his famous guitar solo live anymore.
Old 09-12-21, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

9/11/21: Terror/Drain/One Step Closer/Dare/Scowl
Old 09-13-21, 08:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X in San Francisco.
Exene stills sounds fantastic.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisedge (09-15-21)
Old 09-14-21, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Ah, it's finally started again. Saw Waxahatchee last Friday, Dave Chapelle on Saturday and Phoebe Bridgers on Sunday. All were great, but I was a little annoyed that the Phoebe Bridgers show had been moved from an indoor venue with general admission tickets, to an outdoor venue with a V.I.P. area in front of the stage, meaning everyone who bought tickets the second they went on sale was standing way the hell away from the stage.
Old 09-14-21, 12:53 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

First show in 18 months for me was seeing Mammoth WVH in a small venue. Fun to see from up front on the rail, although his keyboard was often in the way for me.

Chrisedge (09-15-21)
Old 09-14-21, 12:57 PM
Political Exile

Second show back for me was over the weekend. Butcher Babies, Infected Rain, and Stitched Up Heart. Really enjoyed Infected Rain, Butcher Babies were just okay, saw Charlie Benante in the balcony over the stage watching their set.

Old 09-14-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 721 Posts

Damn those are good pictures. Why do I only get a perfectly focused shot of the back of the head of the guy standing in front of me?
Old 09-14-21, 01:32 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Paff
Damn those are good pictures. Why do I only get a perfectly focused shot of the back of the head of the guy standing in front of me?
I bring in a digital camera, the Sony RX100 II, which is allowed is almost all clubs since it's a small personal camera, and I fix the shutter speed to remove blur. Then I snap enough pictures to find a interesting look or pose. I take pictures and video with my phone also, but they can't compare to the digital camera. Newer cameras can detect where to focus nowadays, so you get less of focusing on the back of heads or raised hands that put the band out of focus.

My buddy brought in an SLR to this show (Reggies has no security checks) and got amazing photos. This photo my friend took of Carla freaks me out

The following 2 users liked this post by PerryD:
Adam Tyner (09-17-21), Pointyskull (09-20-21)
Old 09-17-21, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Went and saw Jason Isbell Wednesday night in Philly and heading to see Drake White tonight in Reading. I'd been to three prior shows during the pandemic, but they had capacities of 100, 500, and 2,000...so good to be at larger scale shows again.
Old 09-18-21, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

9/12/21: Terror/Drain/One Step Closer/Dare
9/17/21: Regional Justice Center/Hong Kong Fuck You/Bolo/Earth Exit
Old 09-18-21, 11:28 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Pearl Jam
Decker (09-19-21)
Old 09-19-21, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Second show back for me was over the weekend. Butcher Babies, Infected Rain, and Stitched Up Heart. Really enjoyed Infected Rain, Butcher Babies were just okay, saw Charlie Benante in the balcony over the stage watching their set.
Damn, why were Butcher Babies just ok? Did you enjoy Stitched Up Heart?

First show in such a long time and it was spare of the moment. Took kids I babysat to see Lady A. Ended up checking Stubhub and got 3 pit tickets for $100 total when in reality they were $450 total at the box office. It was a damn steal. Missed the big band that Lady A usually has but they were great. It was the kids' first concert as well and they enjoyed themselves but grew tired towards the end (think after encore it was about 10:40 or so). Lady A seemed to be having a blast too and missed the live crowds. I for sure want to go back to more concerts, but just might be a pain as I heard in some venues in my area that they are going to require the vac card or 72 hour covid test which is going to make it super hard to take kids as them tests are costly. It would be nice if the venues have it so you can get tested there on the spot for free.
Old 09-19-21, 04:16 AM

I have done literally hundreds of concerts but I am at my very first music festival tonight. It's a three day event but I only am going Saturday because I just wanted to see Haim and Green Day who performed on the main stage back to back. I got to the main stage in time to see Modest Mouse, a band I didn't know but had heard of. My daughter tells me that they're Indie royalty. Even though I only recognized their last song Float On, I enjoyed the whole set. They're very good.
When their set ended most people left to see other acts on other stages or go to the bathroom or whatever. That allowed me to move right up to the front for Haim which was my most anticipated act and my favorite album of 2020. They played most tracks from the new album and a few hits from the last two. Just a very good hour long set. I really enjoyed being that close. Here's a picture

Immediately after they finished a surge forward to the stage happened in anticipation of Green Day in another hour. I knew I couldn't tolerate a mosh pit at my age, so I got the F out of there, grabbed a bite, went to a side stage and watched a band called All Time Low, who seem like a poor man's Blink 182. There were poppy but catchy sometimes. Not my thing but an alright way to spend an hour waiting.
Then I hung out towards the back of the crowd for Green Day. They have always been one of the bands that I like and wanted to see someday but never a big priority for me. Wow was I wrong. They are FANTASTIC live. What a terrific show,. Billy Joe is such a showman. It was incredible
I need to see them again in an arena in seats next time, but there will definitely be a next time.

After 8 hours out and about I am now exhausted. There's a reason I never saw anyone close to my age there. Festivals aren't for me. But I did enjoy the shows.
[email protected] (09-20-21)
Old 09-19-21, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
Went and saw Jason Isbell Wednesday night in Philly and heading to see Drake White tonight in Reading. I'd been to three prior shows during the pandemic, but they had capacities of 100, 500, and 2,000...so good to be at larger scale shows again.
Great concert Friday night. Really cool seeing someone who almost died on stage just two years ago back at it. He spent some time between songs discussing the recovery and then broke into the chorus of Pearl Jam’s Alive.
Old 09-20-21, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 721 Posts

Then I hung out towards the back of the crowd for Green Day. They have always been one of the bands that I like and wanted to see someday but never a big priority for me. Wow was I wrong. They are FANTASTIC live. What a terrific show,. Billy Joe is such a showman. It was incredible
I need to see them again in an arena in seats next time, but there will definitely be a next time.
Isn't he though? I just broke my Green Day cherry last month at the Hella Mega Tour. I'd never seen them before because I missed them when they were still playing small venues, then they exploded and I don't care for arena concerts. I'd also bought into the "sellout" critique of GD, because they were playing three-chord punk like the Ramones, and the Ramones always struggled in relative obscurity never playing anything more than mid-size venues and below. It always stuck in my craw that the originals barely made a dime but the copycats were multi-millionaires.

But sellouts or not, I more often than not turned up the volume when GD came on the radio, and a few years ago broke down and bought American Idiot and saw what a work of genius it really is. So much so that in a discussion with other punk friends, I named it the all-time best punk LP, when the rest of my top 5 were all records made before 1980.

And yes, I finally saw what a showman Billie Joe Armstrong is. Maybe if Joey Ramone could interact with the crowd like that instead of hiding behind his mop of hair and slurring his way through the lyrics for 45 minutes, that band would have gotten the respect they long deserved too.
Decker (09-20-21)
Old 09-20-21, 12:49 PM
Premium Member

2021-09-19: Sabaton and Judas Priest at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. We were there for Sabaton. Priest is still sounding good and was better than the last few times I've seen them.

Santa Rob

Old 09-22-21, 12:14 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

The Killers

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.