DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Sinead O'Connor attempts suicide (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/598092-sinead-oconnor-attempts-suicide.html)

Giles 06-18-14 11:11 PM

Re: Sinead O'Connor attempts suicide

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 11077142)
Suicide is so 1990's.

Originally Posted by Larry C. (Post 11077158)
So is Sinead O'Connor.

:rimshot:

:lol:

jpcamb 10-26-18 08:00 AM

She is in the news again, converted to islam and changed her name (again) to to Shuhada' Davitt. What an odd life she has lived...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/26/enter...ntl/index.html

SkullOrchard 10-26-18 03:26 PM

She so crazy.

Jason 10-26-18 04:33 PM

So, she decided to just commit career suicide?

Josh-da-man 10-27-18 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13432611)
She is in the news again, converted to islam and changed her name (again) to to Shuhada' Davitt. What an odd life she has lived...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/26/enter...ntl/index.html

Fucking why?

I don’t get why people convert to Islam. I read the Quran, and it’s just a bunch of rambling bullshit and gibberish. Makes the fucking Bible read like great literature, which is no small feat.

Ky-Fi 10-27-18 12:03 PM

I wish she had been stable enough to have had a career with consistent output. I still love The Lion and the Cobra. Her vocals on Mandinka were incredible.

Hokeyboy 10-27-18 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13433188)
I don’t get why people convert to Islam. I read the Quran, and it’s just a bunch of rambling bullshit and gibberish. Makes the fucking Bible read like great literature, which is no small feat.

Holy fuck. Harsh, man.

brayzie 10-27-18 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13433188)
Fucking why?

I didn't get it at first either.
I've seen some documentaries on young westerners, usually former Christians, becoming Muslims.
Why?
If Christianity didn't make sense to you, how does Islam? Or any religion for that matter?

I think it comes down to community. People want a change in their social circle, they want new friends, they want to feel different, so they join a different religion.
For young people, Islam is probably viewed as the "cool" religion, whereas Christianity is seen as old and white, the religion of their parents.
Becoming Muslim can also be viewed as somewhat new, and rebellious.

In O'Connor's case, maybe she's just trying to get some headlines. All these celebrities try to reinvent themselves to stay relevant. Madonna was sexing Catholic saints in her videos, and to switch it up, she started reading the Kabbalah. Snoop Dogg became a rasta and called himself Snoop Lion for five minutes.

Paff 10-27-18 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 13433332)
I wish she had been stable enough to have had a career with consistent output. I still love The Lion and the Cobra. Her vocals on Mandinka were incredible.

That's a great album, and song. Much better than the followup, where she found bigger success.

Ky-Fi 10-27-18 08:25 PM

I remember she sang some backup for World Party:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JaYcJQej5Uw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

musick 09-07-19 02:58 PM

He Who Lurks No More 09-08-19 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by musick (Post 13604513)
voice still is amazing

IDK, her voice sounds sort of fried, but I do appreciate the passion behind it. That smile and acknowledgement at the end though...

Sonic 01-08-22 05:16 PM

Sinéad O'Connor's son dies at age of 17 after going missing

Sinéad O'Connor's 17-year-old son has died, the singer's management company confirmed to CNN on Saturday.

On Friday, a Garda spokesman told the Irish Mirror that a body had been recovered and that police were standing down on a missing-person report for Shane O'Connor.
The "Nothing compares 2U" musician shared a sequence of brief statements on her unverified Twitter account saying her son "decided to end his earthly struggle" and urged others not to do the same.
"My beautiful son, Nevi'im Nesta Ali Shane O'Connor, the very light of my life, decided to end his earthly struggle today and is now with God. May he rest in peace and may no one follow his example. My baby. I love you so much. Please be at peace," O'Connor tweeted.

Irish authorities first issued a missing-person statement on Thursday, asking for the public's help tracing Shane O'Connor's whereabouts. He had been missing since January 6.
"Shane was last seen this morning in the Tallaght, Dublin 24 area," said the Thursday statement by the Gardai -- the Irish national police force.
Following her son's disappearance, the Irish musician published a series of tweets desperately pleading for her son to give himself over to the authorities.

When asked for comment, the Gardai told CNN that because of data protection regulations, it wouldn't be able to confirm the veracity of O'Connor's tweets nor Shane O'Connor's missing status.
The Irish singer, who has been open about her own mental struggles and suicidal thoughts in the past -- paid a tribute to her son by dedicating Bob Marley's "Ride Natty Ride" to him on Twitter.
"This is for my Shaney. The light of my life. The lamp of my soul. My blue-eye baby. You will always be my light. We will always be together. No boundary can separate us," O'Connor said.

Source

mickey65 01-12-22 09:43 AM

I wonder if this will finally push her over the edge enough to finally succeed in her next suicide attempt...

ViewAskewbian 01-12-22 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 14039251)
I wonder if this will finally push her over the edge enough to finally succeed in her next suicide attempt...

You should read her personal Twitter (not the verified one clearly run by other people). That edge, if not already there, is pretty damn close.

ViewAskewbian 01-14-22 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 14039251)

Sinead O'Connor hospitalized, days after son's death - CNN

ViewAskewbian 01-14-22 12:48 PM

Looking more into things online, she was threatening suicide last night with tweets (most now deleted) like:
"’I'm a piece of shit. I don’t deserve to live and everyone who knows me will be better off without me. I am sorry for all the harm I caused."

and

"I've decided to follow my son. There is no point living without him. Everything I touch, I ruin."

jpcamb 01-14-22 01:15 PM

This is really heartbreaking. I'm glad she is getting help, can not imagine what she is going through to lose a child like that.

Kurt D 01-14-22 02:29 PM

So sad and just awful. Hoping she is helped.

Sonic 01-14-22 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 14040570)
Looking more into things online, she was threatening suicide last night with tweets (most now deleted) like:
"’I'm a piece of shit. I don’t deserve to live and everyone who knows me will be better off without me. I am sorry for all the harm I caused."

and

"I've decided to follow my son. There is no point living without him. Everything I touch, I ruin."

Damn I feel sorry for her. I always had a soft spot for her music. I hope she finds peace within herself.

Sonic 01-14-22 05:20 PM

Here is a tweet she wrote:

"I'm sorry I upset everyone. I am lost without my kid and I hate myself. Hospital will help a while. But I'm going to find Shane. This is just a delay."
So we already know what the outcome is going to be. -ohbfrank-

TGM 01-14-22 05:40 PM

oof damn that tweet sent a shiver up my spine

david12 01-15-22 12:15 AM

Bless Sinead O’Connor.