Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sinead O'Connor attempts suicide

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sinead O'Connor attempts suicide

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor attempts suicide

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm sure The Pope is all torn up about it.
I'm sure the current pope watches SNL reruns from 20 years ago and cares about what a one hit wonder did on the show.
Old 01-17-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

cungar are you the type of guy to explain that "the chicken" doesn't really have any intellectual capacity to comprehend "the road" as a discrete transportation motorway, and would in fact not have real motivation to "cross" it?

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 01-17-12 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-17-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys crack me up. The pope is far too busy covering up child molestation to worry about a suicidal former pop star.
Old 01-17-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeh
Last week Sinead O'Connor attempted suicide.
Old 01-17-12, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cungar
I'm sure the current pope watches SNL reruns from 20 years ago and cares about what a one hit wonder did on the show.
She's had six albums go platinum/multiplatinum (including a greatest-hits album).

And everybody knows the pope much preferred "Mad TV."
Old 01-17-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black
Suicide or having your life taken from you. Better explanation for you?

People that give notice on their suicide for 99% of the time fail to actually fall through, it's just an attention seeker. They'll take pills, but not enough to really kill themselves, just enough to have to go to the hospital to survive. Or they'll cut their wrists, but just accross the wrists and not in a strait line. Commonly people who really want to commit suicide will not open to others about wanting to do it.
My mother has worked for many years with mentally ill people. I've heard enough about these people destroying their friend's, family's and own children's lives for me to care less about their problems, because all they care about is themselves. In most of these cases the friends, family and children will even want to distance themselves from the person.

All I'm stating is my opinion, and opinions are prooven to be different, I can respect that. However I am curious if somebody with a completely different opinion has dealt closely (and not some relative you see once a week) with somebody with the same problems?
*I* have those problems. And let me tell everyone something--suicide isn't as easy as they make it look in the media. Because, the brain has an inbuilt defense mechanism against self termination that works most of the time. So, even if someone is in a tremendous amount of emotional pain, and their judgment is clouded, they have to take it.

See, if someone with a mental illness asks for help and go to the hospital--then then they'll be accused of "preying on people's sympathies", "being an attention whore" or being just plain "weak". It's a no-win scenario for people with these problems. And I wish they would have an "It Gets Better" campaign for teens with mental illness as they do for gay teens. But they never will--because it would be a lie. It doesn't get better.

People with mental illness generally have to contend with so much bullshit just *connected* to their condition on top of their disease. The health insurance debacles, the scarcity of services, the medications with their horrific side effects, and of course--the SOCIAL STIGMA, it's the truly strongest and most brilliant of those afflicted who can have some semblance of a life.

And the lack of compassion of some of the board members here is chilling. I guess if she just had a socially acceptable drug and alcohol problem like Amy Winehouse, people would be more understanding.

Last edited by PatD; 01-17-12 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-17-12, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by PatD
*I* have those problems. And let me tell everyone something--suicide isn't as easy as they make it look in the media. Because, the brain has an inbuilt defense mechanism against self termination that works most of the time. So, even if someone is in a tremendous amount of emotional pain, and their judgment is clouded, they have to take it.

See, if someone with a mental illness asks for help and go to the hospital--and then then they'll be accused of "preying on people's sympathies", "being an attention whore" or just plain "weak". It's a no-win scenario for people with these problems. And I wish they would have an "It Gets Better" campaign for teens with mental illness as they do for gay teens. But they never will--because it would be a lie. It doesn't get better.

People with mental illness generally have to contend with so much bullshit *connected* to their condition on top of their disease. The health insurance debacles, the scarcity of services, the medications with their horrific side effects, and of course--the SOCIAL STIGMA, it's the truly strongest and most brilliant of those afflicted who can have some semblance of a life. Believe me, there are moments (not all the time) that I find myself wishing for AIDS or cancer than what I have.

And the lack of compassion of some of the board members here is chilling. I guess if she just had a socially acceptable drug and alcohol problem like Amy Winehouse, people would be more understanding.

First of all, let me tell you that I respect you very much for letting this out.
I do understand that a mental illness does not get better, for some types there are certain medications, but even after having used them for many years they start to not have as much of an effect anymore.
I see it two ways:
1) One that seeks help based on their own judgement, and really do their best not to let their condition affect others. I very much admire this type, however they are scarce.
2) One that carelessly lives with their illness or manipulates others to achieve a goal. They intentionally ruin other people's lives by ruining their own. They are the center of the universe, and other people just fill up their world.

Almost nobody will agree that having a drug and alcohol problem are socially acceptable. Abuse of these substances often go hand in hand with mental conditions as well. The mind of an addict can not be understood by anybody who is not an addict.
I do feel a bit biased in expressing my opinions, I just see life differently. I'm very glad to have fought and survived cancer, so I love life even more then I did before. It affects me on a personal leven when people have died and did not want to.
Old 01-18-12, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For 14 1/2 years I worked at a crisis counseling center where I spoke with a lot of people who were feeling suicidal. And for 7 years I worked at a community mental health center. For 4 of those years I was a case manager for people labeled "chronically mentally ill". Most of my clients were schizophrenic or bipolar.

I came away from those years as a case manager with a great deal of respect for those who are suffering with mental illnesses. As PatD pointed out so well, there's a lot of shit that they have to deal with just to get through each day. First, there's all of the internal emotional turmoil that they're experiencing--all day, every day--that's no fault of their own. Have you read what I posted about the causes of bipolar disorder, for instance?: physical brain differences, neurotransmitter and hormone imbalances, genetic factors, abuse, trauma, etc. Some or all of these factors are common in mental illnesses. And none of these people did anything to cause these factors to be part of their lives. Then, on top of the emotional/psychological turmoil, there are the fears, misunderstandings, and prejudices of so-called "normal" people, many of which are being expressed on this board. I agree with you PatD, some of the comments here are chilling. To me, they not only lack compassion, but are insensitive, ignorant (meaning a lack of basic information about human emotions and psychology), and downright cruel. It's these kinds of attitudes that people with emotional problems are faced with on top of the on-going internal stuff they have to deal with. Considering all that, it's amazing to me that those who are dealing with these problems find a way to continue to plug away at life. In their own ways, my clients taught me a lot, and I'm grateful to them for it.

To The Black: I'm really glad you were able to beat cancer! Continued good health! But, with all due respect, I believe that number 2 of your explanation of the two ways you see it demonstrates a misunderstanding on your part of mental illness. There's lots of info out there, if you care to read-up on it. Also, I wanted to mention that when someone feels suicidal, it's not that they want to die. What they want is for the pain to end. Usually they've been hurting intensely for a long time, and they feel that they've tried everything, but nothing has worked. So, you can get to a point where it feels like the only way to end the pain is to die. You don't want to die, but you just don't feel you can deal with the pain any longer. This may seem like semantics, but it's not. It's a very important distinction, psychologically speaking. Human emotions and psychology are very complex, to say the least.

PatD, thanks a lot for having the courage to talk about what you're going through, especially considering some of the comments here. I wish you all the best.

Last edited by mikeh; 01-18-12 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black
All I'm stating is my opinion, and opinions are prooven to be different, I can respect that. However I am curious if somebody with a completely different opinion has dealt closely (and not some relative you see once a week) with somebody with the same problems?
I'll chime in. I strongly disagree with your opinion. I have a buddy who has struggled with mental illness his whole life. I've walked through multiple "OD-ing on pills" episodes with him as well as less severe behavior connected with clinical depression and anxiety. It would be easy for me to write him off and feel like he's just manipulative, completely selfish, and constantly craving attention. But the thing is, that's not who he really is.

Since you are a cancer survivor (congrats, by the way!) I will appeal to your empathy for that situation. When cells don't follow the normal order for growth and division in the body, a cancerous tumor develops and begins to negatively impact the normal physiological operations. There are many factors that can contribute to that cancer developing, most of which are completely outside the control of the cancer victim.

In much the same way that someone with cancer has cells that are "not right" my friend's neurochemistry is not right, which negatively impacts his ability to think clearly and make rational decisions he would otherwise make. Just as with cancer cells, there are many factors that may have contributed to his neurochemical imbalance, many of which were not at all under his control. When he takes a bunch of pills, it's not because he is consciously and rationally deciding he doesn't want to live anymore - it's because his mental illness is causing him to do something highly irrational. And if the pills were to kill him, then it would be the disease that ultimately took his life from him, just like cancer kills so many who don't want to die.
Old 01-18-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

She's fucking nuts. And fat. And ugly.

Old 01-18-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
She's fucking nuts. And fat. And ugly.
What is "Three reasons why Sinead O'Connor is probably an incredible lay", Alex...?
Old 01-19-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope she is successful in her future endeavors.
Old 01-20-12, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm still too torn up about Aaliyah to care about her.
Old 01-26-12, 11:09 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
She's become the midpoint between Alex Borstein and Susan Boyle.
Old 01-26-12, 12:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Alan Boylestein
Old 01-26-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Sinead's music, but she's always been fruitier than a nutcake. Hell, when Prince has to scold your behavior, you know you've got issues.
Old 02-23-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sinead O'Connor Wants To Pose Naked In A Dog Collar For Playboy

Sinead O'Connor is determined to strip off for a Playboy shoot before she dies because she was too "miserable" to shed her clothes when she was a young singer.
The "Nothing Compares 2 U" hitmaker, 45, is eager to pose for a saucy spread in Hugh Hefner's magazine in the future, and has another desire she wants to carry out in her lifetime.
She tells The Word magazine, "There's so much I wouldn't (sic) liked to do when I was younger and I was too miserable and Irish.
"A Playboy shoot is on my bucket list. And I like the idea of doing some interview in weird sex gear, talking about something really serious. The economy! You can talk about serious issues while you're b**lock naked, on all fours, in your dog collar!"

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index....pose_naked_in_

Old 02-23-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, thanks. I'd like to keep my lunch down.
Old 02-23-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

She might be able to make it into Bald, Ugly 40+ Singers Monthly
Old 02-23-12, 03:16 PM
Banned

MIght be more likely to give me a chub than those awful Lindsay Lohan pics.
Old 06-04-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So, Sinead O'Connor has pulled it together apparently.

Old 06-04-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Photoshoped to hell it seems to me.
Old 06-04-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Photoshoped to hell it seems to me.
I think so.

Old 06-04-14, 11:45 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

nice 5 oclock shadow
Old 06-04-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

thats pulling together. Shaving, losing weight, putting on makeup and a wig. She has/had a beautiful face - bald or not.

Old pic:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.