Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Thin Lizzy "Lost Tapes" Resurface After 26 Years

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-12, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the Belfast Telegraph, a mysterious benefactor has emerged with hundreds of unreleased THIN LIZZY songs, stored in secret since the death of frontman Phil Lynott in 1986. Universal Music will release a selection of these recordings in June, working with the full co-operation of the band's surviving members.

"This is an absolutely stunning find," Steve Hammonds, project manager for the box set, told the Irish Independent. Featuring nearly 700 songs, "[these] are outtakes, unheard versions of THIN LIZZY hits and, most exciting of all, material that was recorded but never released at the time."

Shortly before he passed away in 1986, Lynott gave 150 tapes entrusted 150 tapes to an unnamed third party, described as a "THIN LIZZY fan." "They held on to it for decades because they were waiting for the right people to come along," Hammonds said. "They really didn't trust anyone enough to release it properly."http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/music/news/lost-thin-lizzy-tapes-resurface-26-years-after-phil-lynotts-death-16098025.html
Old 01-04-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Thin Lizzy "Lost Tapes" Resurface After 26 Years

Phil Lynott was one of my idols, and when he passed away on my 20th birthday, it was heartbreaking news to me. It put a bit of a pallor on every one since, and I've always wished he was still around making music.

Finding this out on today's birthday almost makes up for it. Can't wait to hear this stuff!
Old 01-17-12, 03:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Muted response until the set is actually released. There ought to be some really good live music in there, but have to reserve the right to be skeptical about the 'new' songs. Hopefully, there are some good tunes that just needed to be mixed or maybe have a missing percussion track or something and it's not like some of those dreadful Hendrix tracks that continue to emerge. If Phil really did give the tapes to a friend and wanted them to eventually be released, this could be a revelation.

Have thoroughly enjoyed a lot of older stuff getting released these days (Richard Thompson at BBC, Johnny Cash's 'Personal Files', ec.) that represent some fine work worthy of the artists.
Old 01-17-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still regard Jailbreak as one of the greatest rock albums of all time and I still listen to it regularly along with their complete collection. This find definitely interests my and I hope they do it justice for the release.
Old 01-17-12, 11:38 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow - this is pretty sweet news. Looking forward to this
Old 01-17-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by palebluedot
I still regard Jailbreak as one of the greatest rock albums of all time and I still listen to it regularly along with their complete collection. This find definitely interests my and I hope they do it justice for the release.
Good. I have a bunch of their cd's that I will keep forever. And throw them in the cd player now and then, of course. I'll never lose the taste for them, they stand the test of time. I'll be playing Lizzy and others like them till the day that I die.
Old 01-17-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

The last, "Lost," Thin Lizzy song, "Dedication," was pretty good (even if it wasn't necessarily intended to be a Lizzy song).

This could be a very, very cool release, and I'm definitely looking forward to it.